PDA

View Full Version : Surprise of the Day (given the conditions), JR activated

medford
05-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Per Marc's Blog

The Reds have activated Ken Griffey Jr. from the disabled list and optioned Chris Denorfia to Louisville.

UPDATE: Griffey is in the starting lineup, batting third and playing center field.

BRM
05-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Offense gets better, OF defense gets worse.

flyer85
05-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Offense gets better, OF defense gets worse.over the long run and certainly playing in GABP, a healthy Jr is a plus because the CF in GABP just isn't very big.

I am more concerned by the slow starts he has had a few times when coming off the DL, most players do a 1-2 game rehab(Helton did one last week). Seems stupid not to do that with Jr.

TeamBoone
05-11-2006, 05:33 PM
most players do a 1-2 game rehab(Helton did one last week). Seems stupid not to do that with Jr.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the player's choice... and not just because his name is Jr. I'm thinking I read this somewhere.

37red
05-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Man I hope he isn't coming off the DL too soon. Just putting him in to satisfy the fans would be a mistake. Where do they put Freel?

Mario-Rijo
05-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Where do they put Freel?

On the bench! He needs to take 3-4 starts off anyway. Phillips too me is just better and deserves to stay on the field. His slump had a lot more to do with nearly everything he hit was a laser right at someone. His defense is better than Freelies also.

I go with either of these 2 lineups with Jr. back.

Felipe
Dunn
Jr.
Kearns
EE
Mr. Hat
Phillips
Ross
Arroyo

Or my personal favorite

Felipe
Phillips
Dunn
Jr.
Kearns
EE
Mr. Hat
Ross
Arroyo

But it will probably likely look something like this.

Freel
Felipe
Jr.
Dunn
Kearns
EE
Mr. Hat
Ross
Arroyo

If I were filling out the lineup card it would look like this. Everyday until I felt it was time to make one or more of these moves. Felipe to 2B, Jr. to LF, and Dunn to 1B. Then you can actually do a sort of a platoon, put Freel in CF and move Mr. Hat to the Bench depending on the match up.

Felipe SS
Phillips 2B
Dunn LF
Griffey CF
Kearns RF
Encarnacion 3B
Hatteberg 1B
Ross/ Javy C

GAC
05-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Can someone sight me some solid evidence that Jr's CF "D" has gotten worse, other then one's personal opinion?

And I'm referring to worse in the sense where he is a liabilty out there for us?

It's obvious he is not the same Jr of several years ago and probably has lost a step or two; but the way I hear some on here describe him, a guy in a wheel chair could do better.

Show me some evidence.

flyer85
05-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Show me some evidence.the seminal work on the subject ... Dewans Fielding Bible

GAC
05-11-2006, 08:44 PM
They have a Fielding Bible? :lol:

Matthew, Mark, Luke, and Gehrig?

flyer85
05-11-2006, 08:50 PM
They have a Fielding Bible? :lol:

Matthew, Mark, Luke, and Gehrig?Read and be born again.