PDA

View Full Version : HAHA .. Marty throws shot at Bowden after game ...

GOREDSGO32
05-11-2006, 10:57 PM
"And their GM, who was back here hooping and hollering all game will have to go home with his tail between his legs."

LMAO ... Marty owns Bowden. Hey Jimmy ... guess you leave Cincy again a loser huh? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

toledodan
05-11-2006, 11:00 PM
don't forget the part about him being a 12 year old!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh:

GOREDSGO32
05-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Oh man I mussed have forgot or missed that .. .was that in the same comment?

snowstorm
05-11-2006, 11:11 PM
Did he split his leather pants when Griffey hit the HR? :laugh: :evil:

toledodan
05-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Oh man I mussed have forgot or missed that .. .was that in the same comment?

YEP!:D

WVPacman
05-11-2006, 11:29 PM
LMAO,what all did my favorite reds announcer say about Bowden???

TeamBoone
05-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Marty should get over it. It's long past time for him to grow up regarding his hatred of Jim Bowden. I, for one, am sick of his antics when it comes to him and find absolutely nothing funny about it.

It's childish and petty.

cincinnati chili
05-11-2006, 11:49 PM
TBoone - I'm not sure if you heard this particular comment, but in context I found it kind of funny. But you're probably right that Marty should let it go.

TOBTTReds
05-11-2006, 11:54 PM
Marty should get over it.

Marty doesn't get over things.

See Buck Showalter and Mark Grace.

NDRed
05-12-2006, 12:17 AM
Marty needs to grow up...this is long past funny and he looks more and more juvenile every time the Nationals come to town.

Marty, you are in the Hall of Fame, you have seen alot of GM's over the years...let it go.

TOBTTReds
05-12-2006, 12:28 AM
Regardless, he had a great call of the HR. After watching the game I turned on my radio about 15 minutes later to hear his call of the play. Good stuff.

TeamBoone
05-12-2006, 12:36 AM
I do wish I had heard his call. When Marty is into the game and not complaining about everyone, he's a great announcer.

He's very good with Chris Welsh because they don't announce together all the time... he keeps his head in the game.

Chip R
05-12-2006, 12:40 AM

What is his beef with Gracie?

cincinnati chili
05-12-2006, 12:57 AM
What is his beef with Gracie?

Maybe Gracie mistook his wife, Sherri, for a "slumpbuster" and took appropriate action.

Wheelhouse
05-12-2006, 01:05 AM
Marty should get over it. It's long past time for him to grow up regarding his hatred of Jim Bowden. I, for one, am sick of his antics when it comes to him and find absolutely nothing funny about it.

It's childish and petty.

I don't think you understand the reign of terror Bowden put the organization through--he made many people's daily lives miserable. What Marty says about him is light fare compared to what he could say, and that being said I think he's been politic in referring to JimBo.

LINEDRIVER
05-12-2006, 01:18 AM
Did he split his leather pants when Griffey hit the HR? :laugh: :evil:

Did you really mean "split" or was that a spelling error?

Johnny Footstool
05-12-2006, 01:41 AM
I don't think you understand the reign of terror Bowden put the organization through--he made many people's daily lives miserable. What Marty says about him is light fare compared to what he could say, and that being said I think he's been politic in referring to JimBo.

DanO made my daily life miserable. Carl Lindner made my daily life miserable. JimBo at least gave me something to hope for.

NDRed
05-12-2006, 01:59 AM

"reign of terror"

If it was really that bad don't you think players would have been scampering to leave this orgainization? Don't you think it would have been hard to sign free agents? You know, the Bowden Factor- where we had to pay them 20 percent more because the GM was so mean. Come on, let's have some sense of reality here.

So Pokey Reese made a funny quote about Bowden. So he one time wore leather pants. Let it go!

When you watch KGJ, Austin Kearns, Dunn, EE, Felipe Lopez, (by the way our 5 best offensive players) remember who brought them to Cincinnati. It's not like we see weekly threads commending Bowden for getting them- and we shouldn't. It's history. It's way past time to move on. And it would really help if our HOF annoucer would do so as well.

snowstorm
05-12-2006, 02:46 AM
When you watch KGJ, Austin Kearns, Dunn, EE, Felipe Lopez, (by the way our 5 best offensive players) remember who brought them to Cincinnati.

Very true. After all, who did DanO leave us with? Dave Williams. :help:

Seriously, I think Bowden did the best he could given the restrictions he had due to Allen and Lindner. He really didn't have much of a payroll to work with and had to take gambles on retreads and players that were struggling to realize their potential at the ML level. It would be interesting to know how he would have fared under Castellini instead of Lindner, but we'll never know.

Anyway, Bowden is the past and I prefer to live in the present which is Krivsky. With Castellini and Krivsky the future looks bright, and I would like to turn the page on the Bowden and DanO eras.

TeamBoone
05-12-2006, 02:55 AM

It over. It's done. A long time ago.

And Marty's beef with Bowden is personal (has to do with his son); it has nothing to do with Bowden and the Reds.

Keep it off the airwaves.

KronoRed
05-12-2006, 03:35 AM
Very true. After all, who did DanO leave us with? Dave Williams. :help:

Don't forget our 25 million dollar ace ;)

dabvu2498
05-12-2006, 08:42 AM
Marty's beef with Grace and Showalter also have to do with his son. Papa's a little over protective.

I like Marty's announcing, but the personal stuff I can do without.

I do like it when he clowns on Tony LaRussa though. Too bad he doesn't have that opportunity often.

Heath
05-12-2006, 08:45 AM
I do wish I had heard his call. When Marty is into the game and not complaining about everyone, he's a great announcer.

He's very good with Chris Welsh because they don't announce together all the time... he keeps his head in the game.

TB - sometimes, usually for free, mlb.com will give you a highlight audio bite. I'll see if I can capture the link and get it to you.

Wheelhouse
05-12-2006, 08:53 AM
Let me tell you I dislike Mark Grace more than Bonds. Grace came in to pitch once and mocked a teammates delivery. The camera showed the teammate in the dugout in disbelief, humilated and furious. To do that to a teammate in front of a stadium full of people? Mark Grace is a jerk and I hope Marty piles on...

RedFanAlways1966
05-12-2006, 08:55 AM
For being so mean to Jimbo... Marty should buy Jimbo a drink, a facemask (his fiancee is pretty tough!) and a cab ride home!

:evil:

flyer85
05-12-2006, 08:58 AM

It's childish and petty.that pretty well sums it up. At this point it is better to take the high road.

RANDY IN INDY
05-12-2006, 09:17 AM
that pretty well sums it up. At this point it is better to take the high road.

So would that apply to folks dislike of Marty on the forum?;)

HalMorrisRules
05-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Would anyone care to explain the leather pants reference? I see it out here all of the time but I dont know if it is because he had a habit of wearing them often or whether it is in reference to a specific event.

KittyDuran
05-12-2006, 09:30 AM
Would anyone care to explain the leather pants reference? I see it out here all of the time but I dont know if it is because he had a habit of wearing them often or whether it is in reference to a specific event.IIRC it was in reference to a specific event - GM meeting in LA - when he wore the pants.

KittyDuran
05-12-2006, 09:30 AM
So would that apply to folks dislike of Marty on the forum?;):laugh: I was thinking the same thing... does it apply to RedsZone?

registerthis
05-12-2006, 09:32 AM
So would that apply to folks dislike of Marty on the forum?;)

Of course not, Marty-bashing is sport around here.

KittyDuran
05-12-2006, 09:53 AM
Of course not, Marty-bashing is sport around here.Along with Dunn-bashing...;)

westofyou
05-12-2006, 10:00 AM
So would that apply to folks dislike of Marty on the forum?;)If they were reaching millions of people with their opinions and representing the Cincinnati Reds as an employee then I'd say Yes.

But since they don't then I say No.

NJReds
05-12-2006, 10:00 AM
If Bowden was really "hooping and hollering" around the press box all night, then I have no problem with the comment.

If it's strictly personal, then it should not be kept off the airwaves.

KittyDuran
05-12-2006, 10:30 AM

He's very good with Chris Welsh because they don't announce together all the time... he keeps his head in the game.The "call" has been played over and over again on WLW (esp. extra innings last night) - also on HOMER.

Cedric
05-12-2006, 03:09 PM
If they were reaching millions of people with their opinions and representing the Cincinnati Reds as an employee then I'd say Yes.

I say yes. We got you beat so far.

westofyou
05-12-2006, 03:16 PM
I say yes. We got you beat so far.
Wow a dissenting opinion, one that differs than mine?

How ever will I deal?

BuckWoody
05-12-2006, 03:29 PM
If Bowden was really "hooping and hollering" around the press box all night, then I have no problem with the comment.

If it's strictly personal, then it should not be kept off the airwaves.
Some of the others on here that were there last night may need to chime in and confirm here but I think Bowden and Co. were sitting behind the Nats dugout. I remember looking over during the top of the 11th and there was a group of people going nuts over there. I swear that it was Jimbo in the middle of them jumping up and down and high-fiving everyone. Not necessarily very distinguished behavior for a major league GM.

Can anyone confirm?

KronoRed
05-12-2006, 03:37 PM
I'm sure all Krivsky did when JR hit the HR was quietly smile, or maybe that was too much ;)

registerthis
05-12-2006, 03:37 PM
If they were reaching millions of people with their opinions and representing the Cincinnati Reds as an employee then I'd say Yes.

So it's acceptable to not "take the high road" simply because your opinion reaches fewer people?

OK then.

KronoRed
05-12-2006, 03:38 PM

Agreed

pedro
05-12-2006, 03:43 PM
So it's acceptable to not "take the high road" simply because your opinion reaches fewer people?

OK then.

no, because we aren't getting paid to represent the Reds. Marty is. He should shut his trap. It's unprofessional.

westofyou
05-12-2006, 03:49 PM

OK then.
Depends on what you define as the "High Road" I'm really not into discussing the merits of what a chatter on a board thinks about Bowden over what Marty does, and if the question is a rhetorical one discussing in the realm of whether it's "Right" or "Wrong" and what the parameters are for one versus the other....discussing that doesn't interest me at all either.

Here's how I see it, Vin nevers rips anyone, Jon Miller never rips anyone... Harry Carry did though. I just don't think it's a good thing to do when the mic is on, at least that's what I learned in broadcasting school.

big boy
05-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Here's how I see it, Vin nevers rips anyone, Jon Miller never rips anyone... Harry Carry did though. I just don't think it's a good thing to do when the mic is on, at least that's what I learned in broadcasting school.

None of this is relevant. Marty does his thing and we all have the option not to listen.

westofyou
05-12-2006, 04:12 PM
None of this is relevant. Marty does his thing and we all have the option not to listen.
Yeah, and I have the option to comment on it as I see fit as a listener.

Roy Tucker
05-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Wow a dissenting opinion, one that differs than mine?

How ever will I deal?
Only one thing left to do...

:explode:

redsfanmia
05-12-2006, 04:34 PM
I just wonder if Marty ever gets called to the carpet for his antics? He should be reprimanded at the very least for his droning on and on about his personal conflicts.

flynn78
05-12-2006, 05:18 PM

I am unaware of this feud. Can someone explain?

registerthis
05-12-2006, 05:38 PM

I happen to agree.

But the stone-throwing around here is interesting at times, to say the least.

Phhhl
05-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Real life is not pro wrestling. But, that doesn't mean there isn't a little bit of pro wrestling in real life once in a while. Conflict is a part of life. I deal with it at work every day, to varying degrees. Not to excuse Marty because maybe he is abusing his platform when he uses it to take shots at certain people. But, more often than not I find it humorous and more entertaining than a couple "gentlemen" kissing the fannies of every player on the field for three hours.

A lot of young people seem obsessed with "keeping it real". I think they're sick of hipocricy and the facade people tend to put on. You can't say that Marty's barbs are disingenuous.

indyred
05-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Trying to break down Martys beefs..........With Bowden it was his controlling aspects of the front office ect...and his leather pants at gm meeting.......and his various other one's have to do with how they treated his son at some point..I hate being new on the Reds scene.......lot of inside stuff i'm clueless about.......

cincinnati chili
05-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Marty and Hal McCoy are talking about Bowden's antics on the radio right now. Apparently, some of the players, including Griffey, witnessed the "high fiving" behind the dugout. (Jimbo was sitting behind the nats dugouts with his buddies -- hopefully, he didn't drive home :) ).

Griffey wasn't happy about it, and had unkind words for Bowden as well.

westofyou
05-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Marty and Hal McCoy are talking about Bowden's antics on the radio right now. Apparently, some of the players, including Griffey, witnessed the "high fiving" behind the dugout. (Jimbo was sitting behind the nats dugouts with his buddies -- hopefully, he didn't drive home :) ).

Ya know... no cheering in the press box.

Matt700wlw
05-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Ya know... no cheering in the press box.

That is correct. It's a rule. It's on the media pass, and there's signs up in the press area.

I've seen a couple games in the booth (Reds and Bengals)....and it was tough to do, but it's a professional atmosphere.

GOREDSGO32
05-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Actually it was behind the bench too ... what a tool. I hope he's out on his ass again analyzing trade deadline trades on ESPN 2 July 31st

big boy
05-12-2006, 10:59 PM

But of course. I'm only saying that just because they all broadcast differently doesn't make one of them right. If you prefer Scully or Miller, listen to them instead.

westofyou
05-12-2006, 11:10 PM
But of course. I'm only saying that just because they all broadcast differently doesn't make one of them right. If you prefer Scully or Miller, listen to them instead.
I'm not citing the difference, that's a given, everyone has a different style, before the Reds had Red Barber the annoucer for the PA also called the game, he was crass and uneducated in his approach, Barber and Hoyt were awash in class compared to him.

My take is those aforementioned is that those are his peers, the guys that get talked about because of their pipes and longevity. They also aren't known as smack talkers. I respect that. Having a mic in your face demands a little stealth behavior now and then.

Just ask Rick Sutcliff.

TeamBoone
05-13-2006, 12:32 AM
Marty and Hal McCoy are talking about Bowden's antics on the radio right now. Apparently, some of the players, including Griffey, witnessed the "high fiving" behind the dugout. (Jimbo was sitting behind the nats dugouts with his buddies -- hopefully, he didn't drive home.

So, essentially they were talking about conversations in the clubhouse? Tacky, in my opinion, but I'm not surprised.

Ya know... no cheering in the press box..

Does that also apply when they're sitting in the stands?

Cedric
05-13-2006, 12:34 AM
So, essentially they were talking about conversations in the clubhouse? Tacky, in my opinion, but I'm not surprised.

You mean writers actually talk or write about conversations they had in the clubhouse?

westofyou
05-13-2006, 12:38 AM
Does that also apply when they're sitting in the stands?Nope, there's a famous picture in Reds History of GM Warren Giles having a moment at the World Series, then there was Charlie O dancing on the dugout roof in 1972.

The press box rule is extended to everyone in the box to keep the level at a business like atmosphere.

TeamBoone
05-13-2006, 01:00 AM
You mean writers actually talk or write about conversations they had in the clubhouse?

They don't usually write/talk about personal stuff like that, especially when it involves talking/gossiping about another person.

dman
05-13-2006, 06:22 AM
You're 100% right. Marty is seen as working in a "profession" meaning that he is a "professional" broadcaster. Marty, more so recently, brings way too many of his personal fellings (more like hatreds and dislikes) into the broadcast booth. Anymore, it seems as though Marty hates more people than he likes.
I used to view Marty as one of the best in baseball, but he has become so unprofessional with his demeanor over the last 5-6 years that I find it hard to tolerate listening to him. If it wasn't for Steve Stewart being there to balance things out, I probably wouldn't bother listening at all.
I think Reds fans should burn Marty a little bit more than what they do by using boards like this to express their dismay.

KittyDuran
05-13-2006, 06:53 AM
If it wasn't for Chris Welsh being there to balance things out, I probably wouldn't bother listening at all.
Don't you mean Steve [Stewart]? Welsh does TV. :confused:

Cedric
05-13-2006, 10:10 AM
They don't usually write/talk about personal stuff like that, especially when it involves talking/gossiping about another person.

Gossip makes baseball. Has forever.

REDREAD
05-13-2006, 12:03 PM

You know why Marty holds a grudge against Bowden? Bowden told Marty a fake rumor that a trade was about to happen. Bowden told Marty to keep it quiet. Of course, Marty told everyone and ended up looking like a fool. Ever since, Marty has been grinding the ax, and he'll never let it go.

pedro
05-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Gossip makes baseball. Has forever.

You will never hear any other announcer make the sort of unproffessional negative personal comments that Marty does. It just doesn't happen.

Cedric
05-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Like Tim McCarver?

westofyou
05-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Like Tim McCarver?

Buy a clue.
Tim McCarver is a hack, if you want to place Marty and him in the same realm have at it.

Cedric
05-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Tim McCarver is a hack, if you want to place Marty and him in the same realm have at it.

Oh, I must have missed where Pedro said only hack announcers are negative.

I read "never" and "just doesn't happen"

westofyou
05-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Oh, I must have missed where Pedro said only hack announcers are negative.

I read "never" and "just doesn't happen"
No I said that he's a hack.

Pedro didn't

Cedric
05-13-2006, 02:18 PM
He's the worst announcer in sports. IMO. Still doesn't have anything to do with the premise of Pedro's point.

westofyou
05-13-2006, 02:20 PM
He's the worst announcer in sports.
Tim McCarver, he's up there.

pedro
05-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Like Tim McCarver?

Touche. You've plumbed the depths of the worlds worst announcers and found one that Marty deserves to be compared too. Good for you!

Doesn't make it right to be ripping people from the booth though and I don't think you'll find a lot of other examples that do so.

DannyB
05-13-2006, 02:49 PM
I still like Marty.
Since I`ve had XM I like him more.I find it pretty easy to ignore his opinions,and he still calls a great game.

RANDY IN INDY
05-13-2006, 03:27 PM
I still like Marty.
Since I`ve had XM I like him more.I find it pretty easy to ignore his opinions,and he still calls a great game.

Kinda like Redszone. Ignore some of the opinions and it's the greatest place in the world for Reds fans.:beerme:

dman
05-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Don't you mean Steve [Stewart]? Welsh does TV. :confused:
I'm sorry. That's what I meant. I had one thing on my mind and typed another.

Cedric
05-14-2006, 05:25 PM
Touche. You've plumbed the depths of the worlds worst announcers and found one that Marty deserves to be compared too. Good for you!

Doesn't make it right to be ripping people from the booth though and I don't think you'll find a lot of other examples that do so.

Don't be so sensitive because you were proven wrong. Don't say "never" and "they just don't do it" if you are clearly wrong. It took me two seconds to come up with McCarver and if you wanted I could find probably fifty others.

Just say you are wrong and live with it. Tim McCarver is the worst announcer I've ever heard. Who cares? It still proves what you said was wrong.