PDA

View Full Version : Griffey or Kearns to NYY?

GullyFoyle
05-12-2006, 12:16 AM
On SportsCenter Buster Onley speculated the Yankees might try for Hunter, Kearns or Griffey now that their outfield is falling apart....

Do the Yanks have anything we want? Hughes? looks like he might be a big injury risk.

Is taking Griffey's contract enough?

Edit: Maybe Freel instead?

GullyFoyle
05-12-2006, 12:23 AM
To elaborate a bit...

It looks like Matsui will be out 2 or 3 months with a fractured wrist...

And according to the NYTimes Sheffield's injury could be worse than expected...

Manager Joe Torre said that he expected Matsui to miss about three months, but that he was hopeful that Matsui could come back this season.

Compounding the problem is the growing concern within the organization that Gary Sheffield's injury could be much more serious than it first seemed. Sheffield, the right fielder, is scheduled for another magnetic resonance imaging exam next week on his injured left wrist and hand. The fear around the team is that a bone within the hand may require surgery.

Red Leader
05-12-2006, 12:29 AM
Well, if a trade does go down, I think Krivsky rakes the Yanks over the coals. No way is he going to trade Griffey or Kearns on the cheap while we're still at the top of the division. I doubt the Yanks would have interest in Freel. With Matsui and Sheff out, they need a power bat. Kearns and Griffey are the two that make sense.

Maybe they could do Melky Cabrera, Carl Pavano and another prospect for Griffey to make the salaries close and try to address both teams needs.

For Kearns, it would probably take Cabrera, and a top pitching prospect.

Nugget
05-12-2006, 12:40 AM
If the REDS are in contention you trade someone on the scrap heap for help. So one of the effective guys in the yanks bullpen and given them Cody Ross.

TeamBoone
05-12-2006, 12:52 AM
The Reds are in contention because of a bit better pitching this year and a great offense that's learned how to produce quality at bats, in addition to adding more power.

And while they're in contention, I don't think you can trade away any valuable pieces in that offensive production.

They need to get another pitcher from somewhere else... catcher maybe? And the Yanks don't need a catcher.

I have faith in Krivsky; he's not going to do something stupid. Just because the Yankees need something that we value doesn't mean they're going to get it. The Yankees can go to you know where!

cincinnati chili
05-12-2006, 12:53 AM
Why would Griffey agree to a trade if the Reds are in first place?

GullyFoyle
05-12-2006, 01:10 AM
The Yankees can go to you know where!

:thumbup:

But if we could get over compensated for someone then the Yankees in the past would be the place to go.

But they don't have much in the cupboard anymore...

Johnny Footstool
05-12-2006, 01:38 AM
Kyle Farnsworth could close for the Reds. And for about half of the other teams in MLB.

CTA513
05-12-2006, 02:04 AM
Kyle Farnsworth could close for the Reds. And for about half of the other teams in MLB.

They can put his locker next to Paul Wilsons.

:devil:

Caveat Emperor
05-12-2006, 02:40 AM
On SportsCenter Buster Onley speculated the Yankees might try for Hunter, Kearns or Griffey now that their outfield is falling apart....

Do the Yanks have anything we want? Hughes? looks like he might be a big injury risk.

The conversation doesn't start until Philip Hughes is already part of the deal, IMO.

He's an injury risk, as has been said, but he dominated High-A ball the way everyone expects Homer Bailey to, and he's already just been promoted to AA. You never want to bank the farm on a prep arm, but the thought of Hughes and Bailey in the same rotation is almost too good to pass up.

KronoRed
05-12-2006, 03:33 AM
Not a fan of Pavano, I'd rather just eat the cash and get everything (not much) that they have.

buckeyenut
05-12-2006, 07:54 AM
I would be looking at something like Jr for Hughes, Cabrera and Farnsworth or Matt Smith. No money changes hands. Yankees don't have enough for me to deal Kearns to them at this point. But I can deal Jr because he is more marketable in NY and he has not had a key role on this team to date.

redsfan4445
05-12-2006, 08:53 AM
Neither!!!.. why does everyone seem on this site to want to hurry and trade Griffey, Kearns Lopezand Dunn?????... why the heck would you screw the success of the team up now?? this is a team with a VERY different attitude.. they belive in themselvces and belive that BOB will get us help to WIN, not trade all our best offensive weapons to help other teams out...it doesnt make sense!! im so glad that nobody from this site is GM.. we would be looking at rebuilding again!!! and not seeing WINNING for along time... sit back and let BOB run the show.. he knows what he is doing..

smith288
05-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Yankees minor's are an empty scrap yard. No thanks.

oneupper
05-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Yankees will pick up a Michael Tucker or Kenny Lofton type...

If I were the Royals, I'd send them Reggie Sanders for whatever...

(well...if he gets off the DL)

edit

(not on DL...just day to day for the last week)

15fan
05-12-2006, 10:00 AM
A pre-requisite for any deal with the Yankees involves Eric Milton.

If the Yanks won't take on Eric's contract, then there's no use for them to call Krivsky.

dsmith421
05-12-2006, 11:21 AM
why the heck would you screw the success of the team up now??

Because the success of the team is going to be very short-lived unless we add major league-quality pitching to both the rotation and bullpen.

If the Yanks want Kearns, I'd want Cabrera and Hughes. I also absolutely love that closer from Texas they drafted (Brown?) but I don't think he's eligible to be traded yet.

OldXOhio
05-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Come and get 'em George. And bring your checkbook.

Dan
05-12-2006, 11:52 AM

Aren't we all day to day?

deltachi8
05-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Neither!!!.. why does everyone seem on this site to want to hurry and trade Griffey, Kearns Lopezand Dunn?????... why the heck would you screw the success of the team up now?? this is a team with a VERY different attitude.. they belive in themselvces and belive that BOB will get us help to WIN, not trade all our best offensive weapons to help other teams out...it doesnt make sense!! im so glad that nobody from this site is GM.. we would be looking at rebuilding again!!! and not seeing WINNING for along time... sit back and let BOB run the show.. he knows what he is doing..

Unless BOB can pitch, the Reds still need starting pitching and need to trade something of value to get it to contend right away.

deltachi8
05-12-2006, 11:57 AM

If I were the Royals, I'd send them Reggie Sanders for whatever...

(well...if he gets off the DL)

edit

Sanders makes sense. I originally thought that was why KC signed him, with the intention of lfipping him by July 31. Then I realized, its the Royals.

Red Leader
05-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Should be interesting with the Cardinals needing OF help as well. Some team is going to pay through the nose to get a decent OF.

Great sellers market if you have an extra OF. I still wouldn't take back the WMP-Arroyo trade, though.

flyer85
05-12-2006, 12:19 PM
The Snakes have a surplus of OFs. They might be willing to send Green to the Yanks.

Col_ IN Reds fan
05-12-2006, 01:30 PM
I say let the Yankees suffer. No way I trade Kearns. I am still not sure what interest a team would have in Griffey with the injury history.

gm
05-12-2006, 03:01 PM

The camera zooms in on Tony Womack, while waiting for his cell phone to ring, is overheard muttering "one frickin' year too early..."

traderumor
05-12-2006, 03:13 PM
I saw a Soriano rumor on another board. They must not have seen what he is doing to left field for the Nats. :laugh:

KronoRed
05-12-2006, 03:31 PM

If the Yanks won't take on Eric's contract, then there's no use for them to call Krivsky.
Milton for anything sounds good.

Spitball
05-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Griffey would not want to be part of the logjam that would be ceated when Sheffield and Matsui eventually return. He would be wise enough to decline a trade.

Besides, I believe the Yankees will go with Crosby, Williams, and Nash...er, I mean Damon for awhile. Robinson Cano surely proved to them that they don't have to go out hunting for an all-star everytime they spring a leak. After Randy Johnson's last outing, I bet their starting pitching is a bigger concern for now.

schroomytunes
05-12-2006, 03:52 PM
If I trade griff to the Yanks, then I want some good young guys in return for him. I begin the bidding as such:

Reds trade: Griffey

Yanks trade: Phillip Hughes and Melky Cabrerra

gm
05-12-2006, 04:29 PM

Milton and Freel for Chacon?:evil:

Rojo
05-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Didn't Griffey have a thing against the Yanks left over from childhood?

I'm not worried about a logjam in the outfield so much as the lack of another starter and a lights-out closer. We should be thinking of going the other way -- trading young players for vets.

The_jbh
05-12-2006, 05:03 PM
There is no way we deal Kearns. He has been saving runs with his glove in RF and has been a good clutch hitter. If Krivsky believes in us, Kearns is the last guy to go. He is the only guy in the OF that can field worth a darn

Deal Freel for Fransworth... or hell we rn't gonna use him obviously, send Denorfia and a mid level prospect for farnsworth

Blimpie
05-12-2006, 05:10 PM
I know this flies in the face of more than thirty posts now , but I don't think the Yanks even need to worry about upgrading their outfield at this point of the season. That offense still has enough weapons to be formidable--even without Sheffield and Matsui. By running Bubba Crosby out there for a few weeks until Sheffield returns, their outfield defense will actually improve over what they got from Matsui. If I am the Yanks, I see no reason to panic over this injury.

On the other hand, the Yankees' starting pitching is crumbling before their very eyes and is where their attention should be focused. Unless he is calling about Eric Milton or Dave Williams, I don't even take Brian Cahsman's calls if I am Wayne Krivsky.

Thread hijack is complete.

reds44
05-12-2006, 05:15 PM
If they take all his money, they can have him.

I wouldn't want anything in return.

cincyinco
05-12-2006, 05:28 PM
If Krivs could deal Griffey I would jump for joy. I love Griff, but his financial flexability could help turn this team into a contender much sooner.

I'm surprised no one on this thread has mentioned another yanks prospect, 17 year old Jose Tabata. For Charleston, a yankes A level affiliate in the SAL league(a tough league as we all know), Tabata is putting up this line:

.362/.400/.554 - 14 doubles, 1 triple, 3 HR, 31Rbi, 72 total bases. 5 walks to 25K's, but last year he had more walks than K's in short season league.. so I dont think he has a bad eye, or can't take a walk.

I'd target this kid AND Hughes..

The Yanks will overpay. Other prospects include Darrel Rasner(tho he's kinda old), Austin Jackson, Tim Battle(huge project), Eric Duncan, etc. Their farm isn't as bad as it used to be, when all we could land was Brandon Claussen.

cincyinco
05-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Yankees minor's are an empty scrap yard. No thanks.

This statement is just false. Perhaps a few years ago yes, but they've got some okay pitching prospects now, and some pretty solid OF prospects in their lower levels like Jose Tabata. Hughes is a stud. Duncan is still young and was rushed, and could be solid. Tyler Clippard is underrated, Austin Jackson looks promising, Christian Garcia is very raw but talented.

And if we could get rid of Griff's contract, get some financial flexability, and get a Tabata/Hughes, I'd do it.

paintmered
05-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Didn't Griffey have a thing against the Yanks left over from childhood?

Yep, I do remember him saying something to the effect of he never wants to be a Yankee a few years ago.

cincyinco
05-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Yep, I do remember him saying something to the effect of he never wants to be a Yankee a few years ago.

And I remember him rescending such a comment the last year or two when it was rumored he would be traded. But I won't google or try and find a link - i'm far too lazy. Sorry.

cincinnati chili
05-12-2006, 07:02 PM

Johnny Damon said that too. ;) But I think Griffey might mean it, particularly if the Reds are in first place.

RedsBaron
05-13-2006, 08:08 AM
Milton for anything sounds good.
Milton for nothing, as long as the other teams assumes payment for his contract, sounds good.

Falls City Beer
05-13-2006, 09:29 AM
This statement is just false. Perhaps a few years ago yes, but they've got some okay pitching prospects now, and some pretty solid OF prospects in their lower levels like Jose Tabata. Hughes is a stud. Duncan is still young and was rushed, and could be solid. Tyler Clippard is underrated, Austin Jackson looks promising, Christian Garcia is very raw but talented.

And if we could get rid of Griff's contract, get some financial flexability, and get a Tabata/Hughes, I'd do it.

Arent' the Yanks pitching prospects all several years away from contributing in the majors?

ochre
05-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Milton for nothing, as long as the other teams assumes payment for his contract, sounds good.
The Reds would have to throw in a prospect... :)

Candy Cummings
05-13-2006, 10:25 AM
We need to make a move, but it should be for bullpen help now, not for prospects. For the first time in a while, this team has a shot to actually be playing interesting ball in September, or at least be .500. And, I can't see trading Griffey/Kearns for a middle reliever.

Wheelhouse
05-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Trade Dunn. He could be a great DH for them when Sheff and Matsui return.

KronoRed
05-13-2006, 03:28 PM
They have a DH named Bernie Williams

Wheelhouse
05-13-2006, 05:18 PM
They have a DH named Bernie Williams

Not for much longer.