PDA

View Full Version : And we want Willis why?

Highlifeman21
05-12-2006, 11:15 AM
0-3 in May, ERA just under 13 (12.89), opponents are batting .411 against him this month, and he's sporting a robust 6+ ERA for the season.

He didn't even make it out of the 3rd inning last night against the Braves.

Thread title says it all, why do we want to hedge our future for this guy?

vaticanplum
05-12-2006, 11:17 AM
We shouldn't, at this point. But I wouldn't call Willis washed up just yet. There's clearly something going on there -- either an injury or problems with mechanics. This is just too bad a year for someone that good.

traderumor
05-12-2006, 11:36 AM
I was surprised to see in looking at some stats the other day that Willis has low K rates. It seems the goofy windup is no longer baffling hitters and his flat fastball is hittable. I noticed the Braves righties simply took him the other way as he predictably worked the outer half of the plate thanks to some good analysis (believe it or not) on Baseball Tonight.

But his lack of performance is not going to help the Marlins in what they get for him if they're of a mind to trade him.

smith288
05-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Mechanics...the guy is a mess and was getting by on the "WTH kind of wind up is that?!?"

NatiRedGals
05-12-2006, 11:42 AM
which means we may ctually be able to pick him up cheaper??

Jr's Boy
05-12-2006, 12:22 PM
I'd still go after him,what pitcher doesn't struggle?When he's on, he's nearly unhittable.

Wheelhouse
05-12-2006, 02:46 PM
That guy is a good pitcher--he's on a garbage team, with indifferent ownership (for this year.) Pick him up ASAP.

westofyou
05-12-2006, 02:54 PM
That guy is a good pitcher--he's on a garbage team, with indifferent ownershipHe also has an odd and straining delivery.

Good ownership can't fix that.

princeton
05-12-2006, 02:55 PM
we want him because we have memories both of his pitching and of our own pitching

westofyou
05-12-2006, 03:00 PM
we want him because we have memories both of his pitching and of our own pitching
What if HE turns into Ernie Broglio (whom BTW had a bad elbow when they traded him)

MattyHo4Life
05-12-2006, 03:13 PM
which means we may ctually be able to pick him up cheaper??

He should be cheaper unless he starts pitching better. He still has a name, and teams will want him because they think that their pitching coach can fix whatever is wrong with him. Teams won't be willing to give up as much as they were a month ago though. I just wonder what his cost would be now. A lot depends on how desperate the Marlins are to deal them. They may be in a position where they are afraid of his price dropping even further. I'd still deal for him, but I'd be looking for bargain basement prices right now. I wonder if the Cardinals have any interest in him. The Cardinal hitters teed off on him last week though,

Z-Fly
05-12-2006, 03:19 PM
What if HE turns into Ernie Broglio (whom BTW had a bad elbow when they traded him)

Or even worse.... What if he turns into anouther former Marlin we traded for...

Ryan Dempster.

registerthis
05-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Or even worse.... What if he turns into anouther former Marlin we traded for...

Ryan Dempster.

Who became effective for the Cubbies upon moving to the 'pen. The Reds just didn't use him correctly.

oh, and Dempster was nothing special when the Reds got him, he was living off of one good year.

Big Klu
05-12-2006, 05:34 PM
He also has an odd and straining delivery.

Didn't Hideo Nomo also lose some effectiveness after the league figured out his unorthodox delivery?

westofyou
05-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Didn't Hideo Nomo also lose some effectiveness after the league figured out his unorthodox delivery?
Guys like Willis and Nomo are slaves to their mechanics, all pitchers are, but the guys with the real odd ones are a little more iffy, especially if they get a little injury here or ther, throws them off and then they throw their arms off.

savafan
05-12-2006, 05:52 PM
Who became effective for the Cubbies upon moving to the 'pen. The Reds just didn't use him correctly.

oh, and Dempster was nothing special when the Reds got him, he was living off of one good year.

The Marlins have a history of trading damaged goods. Buyer beware.

Hondo
05-14-2006, 05:37 AM
Buy Low. Sell High.

JaredRoberts.com

GAC
05-14-2006, 07:27 AM
He also has an odd and straining delivery.

Which is exactly why I hope we stay clear of him.

Krusty
05-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Just because he is going through a bad streak, are we just going to forget what he has done so far in his career? Obviously last season doesn't mean a thing because he is struggling right now.

westofyou
05-14-2006, 11:29 AM
Just because he is going through a bad streak, are we just going to forget what he has done so far in his career? Obviously last season doesn't mean a thing because he is struggling right now.
Folks have been dogging his delivery and mechanics since A ball, it's a valid concern.. Not just a "hard patch"