PDA

View Full Version : McCoy agrees with Marty, same with Junior on Bowden ... PART II of story ...

GOREDSGO32
05-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Bubububu ... Marty is just being a grumpy old man ... personal vendetta ... LOL! How about not bashing him for a change ...

Guess Griffey and Hal McCoy have 'vendettas' too? ... since the Marty bashing goes on for his comments, Griffey and McCoy said the exact same thing, Griff last night, McCoy here in the 2nd evening. McCoy said he's never seen anything like in his 30 plus years in the business of a GM going completely nuts up in the boxes up there, same for Marty ... and Griffey made some comments on Bowden after last nights game. Also someone told McCoy referring to him grudgingly shaking Bowdens hand, and asked him if McCoy still has his ring?

Also Jimmy B said after the game 'Its nice to see the Cincinnati Reds in first place with Austin Kearns, Adam Dunn, and other players I drafted"

LMAO .. what a joke. How about laying off Marty for a change? I hope Bowden isw out of a job again, what an idiot.

captainmorgan07
05-12-2006, 08:34 PM
i agree jimbo is a complete idiot he may have drafted some of these playres but wayne k but it together in a way jimbo could never do jimbo won't have a job much longer anyway

Matt700wlw
05-12-2006, 08:36 PM
No mention of that farm system Jimbo put together....

...oh wait...

savafan
05-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Did we need to start a second thread about this?

2001MUgrad
05-12-2006, 11:07 PM
It doesn't matter "some people" here don't like Marty or Hal because they still put value on the little things that make the game and a player complete. They will never like Marty or anything he says unless he said that OPS is a tell all stat. If they disagree with someone instead of having appreciation for someone with an opossing view they chose to just hate the person.

Wheelhouse
05-12-2006, 11:17 PM
You got it. The SABR folk hate Marty because he can be critical of their poster child, Adam Dunn. Believe it or not, I got a photo of one of them in line for a 3-way at a game:
http://www.coolborg6of9.com/Star%20Trek%20Downloads/ST%20Pictures/borg(1).jpg

westofyou
05-12-2006, 11:47 PM
You got it. The SABR folk hate Marty because he can be critical of their poster child, Adam Dunn. Believe it or not, I got a photo of one of them in line for a 3-way at a game:
First of all if you are going to try and insult somebody you should get your facts straight.

SABR is the Society for American Baseball Research.

They don't give a rats ass about Adam Dunn.

westofyou
05-12-2006, 11:49 PM
It doesn't matter "some people" here don't like Marty or Hal because they still put value on the little things that make the game and a player complete. That's a load of crap, "some" people" have said why they don't like Marty and Hal, if you want to put them all in a bucket called OPS that fits into your world view have at it.

It's absolutley hilarious.

2001MUgrad
05-13-2006, 12:54 AM
I don't know WOY. I know you for one don't like Marty because if you and he were discuss baseball you wouldn't see eye to eye. Sugar coat what you want. It seems as though you picked out the group I was talking about pretty easily. The reason you for 1 do not like Marty is because if he were to meet you tomorrow he'd tell you how full of bull you were, blame it on this or that, the simple reason to a long answer is the "some people" I'm talking about if they don't agree with what someone says they chose to hate you as opposed to appreciate an opposing view.

savafan
05-13-2006, 12:58 AM
Goin' fish'n?

westofyou
05-13-2006, 12:59 AM
I don't know WOY. I know you for one don't like Marty because if you and he were discuss baseball you wouldn't see eye to eye.
Oh really?

You know exactly what both Marty and I think about concerning baseball?

Do you check your closet at night to make sure Bill James isn't in there before you go to bed too?

Cedric
05-13-2006, 01:00 AM
People say Marty shouldn't have an ego but he sure is talked about a ton.

2001MUgrad
05-13-2006, 01:00 AM
No,

Not Bill James. I do check to make sure OJ Simpson isn't in the closet and that the boogie man isn't under the bed though.

westofyou
05-13-2006, 01:05 AM
People say Marty shouldn't have an ego but he sure is talked about a ton.
People say you should look both ways before you cross the street too.

Cedric
05-13-2006, 01:09 AM
I don't know WOY. I know you for one don't like Marty because if you and he were discuss baseball you wouldn't see eye to eye. Sugar coat what you want. It seems as though you picked out the group I was talking about pretty easily. The reason you for 1 do not like Marty is because if he were to meet you tomorrow he'd tell you how full of bull you were, blame it on this or that, the simple reason to a long answer is the "some people" I'm talking about if they don't agree with what someone says they chose to hate you as opposed to appreciate an opposing view.

I wouldn't put everybody in the same category. Some just don't like Marty's negative attitude about certain things, I can respect that. But if someone tells you that there isn't an over reaction to anything Dunn they are naive. Someone today in the game thread was making excuses left and right for Dunn's poor fielding. You think Hatteberg or Aurilla would always get bailed out?

Maybe it's because of always having to defend Dunn against illogical rants. I don't know.

KronoRed
05-13-2006, 01:29 AM
You think Hatteberg or Aurilla would always get bailed out?

Yes they would, it's just different people who do it.

2001MUgrad
05-13-2006, 02:01 AM
I'm just curious.

But, you guys started mentioning Adam Dunn pretty quickly. I didn't even reference Dunn. Why was he brought up in this thread. Seems like one of those if the shoe fits wear it kind of deals.

TeamBoone
05-13-2006, 02:06 AM
My beef with tonight's conversation is discussing personal/gossipy stuff that goes on in the clubhouse over the airwaves.

To me, that's just as bad as those with press passes whooping it up for their team. In fact, I think it's worse.

I can almost guarantee you that Griffey won't be happy that he was brought into that very public conversation.

westofyou
05-13-2006, 02:24 AM
I'm just curious.

But, you guys started mentioning Adam Dunn pretty quickly. I didn't even reference Dunn. Why was he brought up in this thread. Seems like one of those if the shoe fits wear it kind of deals.

Seems like one of those you didn't do your homework kind of deals.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=976138&postcount=6

2001MUgrad
05-13-2006, 02:31 AM
Seems like one of those you didn't do your homework kind of deals.

Man, do you even read what you post?? Honestly I was being kind earlier and not saying that what you said made no sense and that I would be better off talking to a 5 year old, but now I'm going to say that because it would be. A 5 year old would reason better. Your little gang is on me like stink on crap in this thread like I bashed Dunn in this thread. I didn't. I don't have to. His constant horrible hitting with runners in scoring postion do that to the point that everyone knows. I said doing the little things that make a team or player complete. Well, I guess everyone here agrees that Dunn doesn't do the little things that make a player and team complete. I rest my case.

icehole3
05-13-2006, 09:14 AM
There are two type of people on this board some who feel Dunn is the next Killebrew and some who feel he is not.

RBA
05-13-2006, 09:38 AM
Marty also told Hal, that he (Marty) has never been one not afraid to speak his mind. I must of missed it when he gave his honest and upfront opinion about Bowden when Bowden was the GM.

Wheelhouse
05-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Couldn't agree more 2001--some people think this message board exists only to exchange statistical information and analysis, and reject all else. Marty has a strong point of view that it not necessarily based on statistical analysis, but on the thousands and thousands of innings of Major League baseball he has watched. His point of view is valid. You can agree with it or not, but it has a right to exist. I for one agree with Marty 95% of the time. I cannot believe that so many here insist on a litany of numbers to support any baseball opinion when the game is a HUMAN endeavor.

westofyou
05-13-2006, 11:53 AM
Man, do you even read what you post?? Honestly I was being kind earlier and not saying that what you said made no sense and that I would be better off talking to a 5 year old, but now I'm going to say that because it would be. A 5 year old would reason better.

Are you with me here?

Ok I'll go slow for you.

Wheelhouse mentioned that people hate Marty because he rips Dunn.

That's in this post:

You said it's because Marty "puts" value on little things that OPS people don't (whatever the hell that means)

That's in post number:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=976088&postcount=5

My reply that contained the word "Adam Dunn" was a response to Wheelhouse.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=976224&postcount=7

To you I never mentioned Adam Dunn, nor did anyone else in this thread, in fact I only said to you that many people have said why they don't like Marty and a lot of it doesn't have to do with Players.

So grab a clue and drop the victim facade.

westofyou
05-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Couldn't agree more 2001--some people think this message board exists only to exchange statistical information and analysis, and reject all else.Right... and some people talk about stuff like hustle and gamers and don't want to learn about anything else about the game and thus reject it.

The horror....:explode:

icehole3
05-13-2006, 12:28 PM
I think there's a place for fancy stats as well as the distinguished opinion of Marty who's got 20 something years of being eyes and ears for most Reds fans. So I agree with both sides.

TOBTTReds
05-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Back to the topic:

I've heard from Reds people that Bowden used to throw papers out of the GM box when they would win big games. There was no making this up. Then when they would lose tough games he would throw mini-tyrads.

Heath
05-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Back to the topic:

I've heard from Reds people that Bowden used to throw papers out of the GM box when they would win big games. There was no making this up. Then when they would lose tough games he would throw mini-tyrads.

I'm sure TeamClark has some stories he could share......

dougdirt
05-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Adam Dunn.

Try to argue that one!

paintmered
05-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Let's get this thread back on topic please.

saboforthird
05-13-2006, 03:13 PM
There are two type of people on this board some who feel Dunn is the next Killebrew and some who feel he is not.
Make that three things. There are some here that feel Dunn is the next Dave Kingman. :D

saboforthird
05-13-2006, 03:19 PM
WOY, in my humble opinion you could use some fresh air. It does seem that when conversations aren't being steered with statistical analysis, you feel left out of the loop. Furthermore, there are "little things" that OPS guys don't consider. For one, "effort". That doesn't necessarily show up in the boxscore. Another, "communication". Scratch that one, too. Here's yet another one: "small ball". Bunting, moving the runners over with sac flies, stolen bases. Though those things often do show up in boxscores, they don't all fit under that OPS category. :thumbup:

westofyou
05-13-2006, 03:22 PM
WOY, in my humble opinion you could use some fresh air. It does seem that when conversations aren't being steered with statistical analysis, you feel left out of the loop. Furthermore, there are "little things" that OPS guys don't consider. For one, "effort". That doesn't necessarily show up in the boxscore. Another, "communication". Scratch that one, too. Here's yet another one: "small ball". Bunting, moving the runners over with sac flies, stolen bases. Though those things often do show up in boxscores, they don't all fit under that OPS category. :thumbup:

Well, thanks for the take on what I think about in the game of baseball.

Maybe you can tell me what I don't know about Hockey next?

Bobcat J
05-13-2006, 03:29 PM
The whole discussion of relying mainly on stats to judge a player's value v. looking at the "little things not included in OPS" always makes me think of the Stephen Colbert bit of relying on one's gut and not facts to make decisions. Here is a transcipt of Colbert's rap:

My name is Stephen Colbert and tonight it's my privilege to celebrate this president. We're not so different, he and I. We get it. We're not brainiacs on the nerd patrol. We're not members of the factinista. We go straight from the gut, right sir? That's where the truth lies, right down here in the gut. Do you know you have more nerve endings in your gut than you have in your head? You can look it up. I know some of you are going to say "I did look it up, and that's not true." That's 'cause you looked it up in a book.

Next time, look it up in your gut. I did. My gut tells me that's how our nervous system works. Every night on my show, the Colbert Report, I speak straight from the gut, OK? I give people the truth, unfiltered by rational argument. I call it the "No Fact Zone." Fox News, I hold a copyright on that term.

ochre
05-13-2006, 03:33 PM
As far as I can tell Marty Brennaman is not a poster here. Knock off the personal attacks on fellow posters. This whole antisabrmetrics crap is getting quite trite. If you don't agree with what the stastics tell, move on to another thread, or come up with tangible facts to dispute the statistics. This thread is entirely extraneous, as there are plenty of other Marty threads for you to air your greivances. This one is going bye-bye, as it hasn't really been on whatever bit of a topic it had to begin with.