PDA

View Full Version : Someone explain this one to me

Newman4
05-13-2006, 06:12 PM
How is a walk as good as a single?

I know in total base stats it counts the same and some have commented on it being equal. But, the obvious difference to me is that a single can score a runner from third or second and a walk cannot. (unless the bases are loaded for the runner to score from third of course) I'm not arguing about this, just needing some clarification for future reference.

reds44
05-13-2006, 06:15 PM
At times it is, and at times it isn't.

BrooklynRedz
05-13-2006, 06:15 PM
How is a walk as good as a single?

I know in total base stats it counts the same and some have commented on it being equal. But, the obvious difference to me is that a single can score a runner from third or second and a walk cannot. (unless the bases are loaded for the runner to score from third of course) I'm not arguing about this, just needing some clarification for future reference.

Neither result in an out. Both result in the batter advancing one base.

You can't and shouldn't give the hitter more credit (RBI) for something he has no control over (runners on base when he comes to the plate).

MattyHo4Life
05-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Also... a ball hit into play can be turned into a double play where a BB cannot result in an out on that play.

pedro
05-13-2006, 06:39 PM
It also uses up at least 4 pitches.

pedro
05-13-2006, 06:39 PM
Plus a player can't score if he doesn't get on base. A walk accomplishes that just as well as a hit.

Newman4
05-13-2006, 06:43 PM

You can't and shouldn't give the hitter more credit (RBI) for something he has no control over (runners on base when he comes to the plate).

Not giving the hitter credit, but comparing the two situations, one can score runners while one does not usually. So why is the single not better?

Newman4
05-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Also... a ball hit into play can be turned into a double play where a BB cannot result in an out on that play.

A single does not turn into a DP. Also, a batted ball can also advance runners, but that's not what we're talking about.

pedro
05-13-2006, 06:56 PM
One thing to consider is often when a batter walks it's often because they did not get a good pitch to hit. As such it is a fallacy to assume that a player chooses a walk vs. getting hit when in reality they cosice is more likely between a walk and an out.

I will say that hits are more fun to watch than walks.

James B.
05-13-2006, 07:59 PM

Some hitters are better than others when it comes to hitting with runners in scoring position. I hit is better than a walk with runners on base.

Danny Serafini
05-13-2006, 08:56 PM
It all depends on the situation. If the bases are empty, or there's a runner on first who only moves to second on the single, then a walk is identical to a hit because they ended with the same result. On the other hand if there's a runner on second and he scores on a single, that hit is worth way more than a walk. It's all circumstances.