PDA

View Full Version : GAB Field surface?

indyred
05-14-2006, 10:13 AM
When I was at the game last night...the people talking behind me said it was a mix of fake plastic grass and real grass combined.....and claimed they don't even have to mow the field......Is this true?.......I guess I was under the impression it was all real grass...has anybody ever seen them out mowing there before....I thought to get the patterens in the grass...it is mowed at different levels....GAB has a nice strip pattern in the outfield....

Yachtzee
05-14-2006, 10:52 AM
When I was at the game last night...the people talking behind me said it was a mix of fake plastic grass and real grass combined.....and claimed they don't even have to mow the field......Is this true?.......I guess I was under the impression it was all real grass...has anybody ever seen them out mowing there before....I thought to get the patterens in the grass...it is mowed at different levels....GAB has a nice strip pattern in the outfield....

The answer is...real grass.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cin/ballpark/cin_ballpark_gabp_azguide.jsp

Must have been some other park they were thinking of.

Redlegs23
05-14-2006, 11:17 AM
I love some of the things you hear at ballgames from other fans. There's always someone sitting around you that seems to know everything, and half of what he's saying is total bs. One that comes to mind is when Aaron Boone was playing and the guy behind me informed his buddy that they were booing him because they didn't like his dad.

SunDeck
05-14-2006, 01:01 PM
Motz, who IIRC was the company that installed the turf, has a product like that:

http://www.themotzgroup.com/products/TSII.asp

NastyBoy
05-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Its call Real Astro Turf. It was invented back in the seventies.

KronoRed
05-14-2006, 03:47 PM
You can tell the REAL turf because it looks like green shag carpeting.

ThatsAStrike
05-14-2006, 05:40 PM
Funny I'd see this thread. Just the other day I was on ESPN's site and clicked on the Great American Ballpark link. Here's how they described the playing field:

The custom-grown Kentucky Bluegrass sod was grown within a synthetic plastic micromesh carpet for durability.

I have no idea what that means.

wheels
05-15-2006, 09:12 AM
It's just the mesh that the grass grows through that is plastic.

The GAB grass is pure Kentucky Blue Grass.