PDA

View Full Version : Statements repeated by announcers that drive you bananas...

Wheelhouse
05-14-2006, 03:29 PM
For me, it's when announcers say, as if they've witnessed magic, "How many time does a guy who's made a great play to end an inning, leadoff the next!"

I got your answer guys: roughly one out of nine times a great play is made to end an inning.

Joseph
05-14-2006, 03:43 PM
That one has always annoyed me as well.

BoydsOfSummer
05-14-2006, 04:14 PM
"Get 'em on....get 'em over...get 'em in"

I long for a permanant "bleep" over that expression. Or at least the middle part.

NastyBoy
05-14-2006, 04:29 PM
I really hate when Martys says: "And this one belongs to the Reds!"

:D

The_jbh
05-14-2006, 04:36 PM
I really hate when Martys says: "And this one belongs to the Reds!"

:D

lately i think god doesn't like to hear Marty say that

James B.
05-14-2006, 04:46 PM
I hate it when there is a runner on second with one out and Grande says the batters job is to hit a ball to the right side and move the runner to third.

KronoRed
05-14-2006, 04:56 PM
I hate double plays and the announcers saying "at least he made contact"

Hap
05-14-2006, 05:29 PM
I hate it when there is a runner on second with one out and Grande says the batters job is to hit a ball to the right side and move the runner to third.

I have mentioned that exact thing in several threads. It drives me absolutely nuts. How much does GG really know about baseball?

Marc D
05-14-2006, 05:31 PM
get em on, get em over, get em in

you know his story

brilliant

he got it, he got it

sir albert

good spot for Dunn to lay down a bunt

he's just a ball player

teams best hitter with runners in scoring position

Johnny Vander m
05-14-2006, 05:36 PM
After a foul on a 3 & 2 pitch, "We'll do it again"

Caveat Emperor
05-14-2006, 05:41 PM
"He does the little things right."

These guys are all highly paid professionals that are the best of the best at what they do. It's the functional equivalent of praising Stephen Hawking for his addition and subtraction skills.

NastyBoy
05-14-2006, 06:05 PM
I like the call: "Its deep drive to <insert left, center or right> field!", on a ball that does not even make it to the warning track.

Would not a deep drive be at least to warning track or wall... or maybe a home run?

reds1869
05-14-2006, 06:52 PM
For me, it's when announcers say, as if they've witnessed magic, "How many time does a guy who's made a great play to end an inning, leadoff the next!"

I got your answer guys: roughly one out of nine times a great play is made to end an inning.

Do you remember SI's "As So Often Happens" April Fool's joke a few years ago? They invented all kinds of fake stats about this and made up quotes attributed to baseball experts. A lot of people wrote in to dispute the "research." Classic. :lol:

Aronchis
05-14-2006, 06:53 PM
Anything George Grande says.

The Baumer
05-14-2006, 06:56 PM
Welcome to (name of stadium)!
One out in the inning.
One run crosses the plate.
How about that.
Hello.
He's batting .300 on the year.

jmac
05-14-2006, 07:48 PM
bingo !!!!

Marc D
05-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Anything George Grande says.

Grande and Welsh = Ned Flanders and Barney Fife

Redlegs23
05-14-2006, 08:04 PM
And the Reds get the third out but it's too late because the damage is done.

4256 Hits
05-14-2006, 09:46 PM
"Hi, Hello, Welcome"

KronoRed
05-14-2006, 09:48 PM
Titanic struggle.

pedro
05-14-2006, 09:50 PM
"You know his story....."

"Cincinnati native David Bell"

Willy
05-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Welsh going on and on everytime Dunn comes to the plate with no one on no outs and they put the shift on.

Welch
"Dunn needs to put down a bunt down in this situation"

Grande
"I think every opposing manager would be happy if Dunn went 4-4 with 4 bunt hits"

reds44
05-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Welsh going on and on everytime Dunn comes to the plate with no one on no outs and they put the shift on.

Welch
"Dunn needs to put down a bunt i this situation"

Grande
"I think every opposing manager would be happy if Dunn went 4-4 with 4 bunt hits"
Yeah that has got out of hand. Although anything those to say gets out of hand. I don't mind Welsch as much as I do GG.

Buckeye33
05-14-2006, 10:04 PM
BUT IT WILL STAY IN THE PARK.

Grande says this about every flyball ever hit in a game he is announcing.

Hap
05-14-2006, 10:18 PM
This thread has inevitably morphed into another Grande-bashing thread. Let us please remind ourselves that the title says "announcers", which means anyone in general.

I suppose I am just as much to blame as anyone else, so I will try to get back on the subject.

How about back in 2003 and 2004 when the Reds had four Latino middle infielders (Jimenez, Olmedo, Castro, Lopez), and they were used interchangably and Joe Nuxhall could never remember which one was playing which position. That was very painful and just downright saddening to listen to.

savafan
05-14-2006, 11:59 PM
The batter has no balls.

Keystone12
05-15-2006, 12:11 AM
Anytime Stew gets called "Bad Boy". Ugh.

RedsMan3203
05-15-2006, 12:19 AM
The Smileing side of the scoreboard.

BCubb2003
05-15-2006, 12:37 AM
the quintessential ladies' man

expanding the zone (turning a pitcher's count into a hitter's count)

boot-scootin' (scampering)

airing it out (I don't want to know what he's airing out)

payoff pitch (almost always fouled off)

his best pitch is his changeup (he has a bad fastball)

veteran leadership (you should only need one)

smith288
05-15-2006, 09:18 AM
(On a pop fly) "Does it have enough?"

membengal
05-15-2006, 09:40 AM
"Dunn isn't paid to walk. He's paid to drive in runs."

scounts22
05-15-2006, 10:17 AM
The batter has no balls.

That one's kinda funny...:ughmamoru

Clepper
05-15-2006, 11:30 AM
"He got it!" GG

He is always surprised when we make a play.

dabvu2498
05-15-2006, 12:28 PM
"The crafty lefthander"

WVRedsFan
05-15-2006, 12:57 PM
"Does it have enough"

"the damage is done"

"Sir Albert" (I look for some day a certain announcer will announce that Sir Albert went 0-4 but hit the ball hard while broadcasting a Reds game)

"You know his story"

BuckU
05-15-2006, 01:27 PM
GG: On to pitch now is lefty Chris Hammond. You know Hammond's story, drafted by the Reds in the 80's moved on to Florida and then bounced around a little bit from Atlanta to New York to Oakland to San Diego. If you ask Chris, he'll tell that he is happy to be wearing a Reds uniform again....

Hap
05-15-2006, 01:56 PM
(On a pop fly) "Does it have enough?"

That one also drives me nuts, especially when the ball is caught by an infielder.

harangatang
05-15-2006, 01:57 PM
"And here we are watching the greatest rivalry in all of sports the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox, you know we're in for some good baseball" -18 times a year the Yanks and Sox are head-to-head on ESPN

"Barry Bonds has 20-20 vision and that's why he's so good" -Joe Morgan

HalMorrisRules
05-15-2006, 02:34 PM
"The crafty lefthander"

My wife was in the room when the game was on one night this past week and she heard GG call Welsh "The crafty lefthander" and she stopped what she was doing and said "The crafty lefthander?" I just said um, yeah that what he calls Welsh. She thought that was quite silly.

dabvu2498
05-15-2006, 02:56 PM
Welsh was crafty about throwing it up there about 70 mph. I think that's why he empathizes with Dave Williams.

cincinnati chili
05-15-2006, 02:57 PM
You're only as good as your 25th man.

dabvu2498
05-15-2006, 04:38 PM
"He's really dialed in"

Fullboat
05-15-2006, 05:45 PM
Any usage of the word Scamper,Scampered,Scampering.:bang: :bang: :bang:

Hap
05-15-2006, 05:47 PM
You're only as good as your 25th man.

The 1976 Reds were better than Joel Youngblood.

Fullboat
05-15-2006, 05:52 PM

Welch
"Dunn needs to put down a bunt down in this situation"

Grande
"I think every opposing manager would be happy if Dunn went 4-4 with 4 bunt
hits"

I Blame Dunn on this one.Dunn please just bunt once so these guys can just shut up,and
for the love of god do not make it to 1st.

registerthis
05-15-2006, 05:52 PM
The 1976 Reds were better than Joel Youngblood.

And I'm fairly certain the 1990 team was better than Billy Bates. But over time the mind does play tricks...maybe they weren't? :confused:

registerthis
05-15-2006, 05:53 PM
"...and now it's time to play Gangster or Gangsta."

WMR
05-15-2006, 05:54 PM
Welsh: "Look at that diving catch made by Griffey... maybe now we can put to bed those notions of moving him out of CF."

Just about anything George says annoys me.
"Make sure to tune into the best [EDIT] sports show period."

Every commercial says it the right way... I know some people don't think it's a big deal, and it's not really, but it gets on my nerves. Just say the freakin' show's name, George.

The little kiddies are hearing the commercials where the word "Damn" is used; it's just SOOO Ned Flanders-esque.

registerthis
05-15-2006, 05:57 PM
Welsh: "Look at that diving catch made by Griffey... maybe now we can put to bed those notions of moving him out of CF."

Well, keep in mind that this is the man who thinks Golden Globe nominee Jim Edmonds is the Greatest Center Fielder of All Time, so making diving catches certainly scores mega points with him.

RichRed
05-15-2006, 06:11 PM
One that's not specific to Grande:

So-and-so "is a good fastball hitter."

Oh, so that's how he made the major leagues. He knows how to hit a fastball. As opposed to the hundreds of other major leaguers who can crush the knuckler but can't hit a fastball.

And the White Sox guy, Harrelson (?), with his "good guys" and "he gone" and "you can put it on the booooaaaard...yes!" That guy's never not annoying.

Hap
05-15-2006, 06:37 PM
I remember Harry Caray trying to say Jon Nunnaly. He called him McNannley and MacAnnally and Nunnannlee.

Redmachine2003
05-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Two I hate are:
"Home runs are sexy" I don't know who came up with that crap
"A homer to leadoff an late inning is a rally killer" But if they get 3 base hits to produce a run it is a rally. What Ev Panda Bear.

ThatPitchIsDunn
05-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Any time they say a pitcher "helps his own cause" with a base hit that gets a RBI. Throwing strikes helps his own cause too, but you don't say that after ever one!

griffeyfreak4
05-15-2006, 09:38 PM
One that's not specific to Grande:

So-and-so "is a good fastball hitter."

Oh, so that's how he made the major leagues. He knows how to hit a fastball. As opposed to the hundreds of other major leaguers who can crush the knuckler but can't hit a fastball.

And the White Sox guy, Harrelson (?), with his "good guys" and "he gone" and "you can put it on the booooaaaard...yes!" That guy's never not annoying.
Are you kidding???? I LOVE that guy. He's soooooooo much better than every other stupid announcer. Of course, I live in Chicago and I hear him all the time........

edabbs44
05-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Living on the East Coast, I have the great misfortune of hearing the most annoying announcer in baseball, John Sterling. EVERY home run goes "It is high, it is far, it....is....GONE!" It could be a laser and it would be high. It could bounce off of Canseco's head and it would be far. I hate him.

Hap
05-15-2006, 10:26 PM
Living on the East Coast, I have the great misfortune of hearing the most annoying announcer in baseball, John Sterling. EVERY home run goes "It is high, it is far, it....is....GONE!" It could be a laser and it would be high. It could bounce off of Canseco's head and it would be far. I hate him.

The-e-e-e-e-e pitch is...

BCubb2003
05-15-2006, 11:20 PM

Da Giambino

WVRedsFan
05-16-2006, 12:26 AM

For some reason, I like Sterling. And I think his HR call is pretty good. Loved it last year when Sheffield and A-Rod hit badk to back HR's.

Sterling said: "Back to back and belly to belly." Brought back old memories of the Kingston Trio and Harry Nilsson (who both did Zombie Jamboree).

He calls A-Rod "Alexander the Great."

It's entertaining and it's radio. Both go with each other. If the majority of fans had to listen to a baseball game where statistics rolled off the announcer's lips and only the play was called without emotion, only a few geeks would listen.

Caveat Emperor
05-16-2006, 03:39 AM
For some reason, I like Sterling. And I think his HR call is pretty good. Loved it last year when Sheffield and A-Rod hit badk to back HR's.

Sterling said: "Back to back and belly to belly." Brought back old memories of the Kingston Trio and Harry Nilsson (who both did Zombie Jamboree).

He calls A-Rod "Alexander the Great."

It's entertaining and it's radio. Both go with each other. If the majority of fans had to listen to a baseball game where statistics rolled off the announcer's lips and only the play was called without emotion, only a few geeks would listen.

I can't take Sterling seriously anymore after hearing a segment on the Opie & Anthony show where they just laid into him for a solid half hour. It was fantastic radio, and now whenever I hear one of his home run calls, I just start laughing at the memory of Jim Norton tearing him apart.

Ron Madden
05-16-2006, 03:57 AM
"...and now it's time to play Gangster or Gangsta."

I second that motion.

MrCinatit
05-16-2006, 07:20 AM
Backbackbackbackbackbackback (dramatic pause) it's gone!
This guy knows how to hit.
This guy knows how to pitch.
He took his eye off the ball (what are you announcing? Little League?)
That's high enough to draw rain (especially indoors)
How we doin'? Not so good.
(John Miller) Now, Joe, when you were playing...

RedRage
05-16-2006, 08:18 AM
Anything and Everything from Espn highlights.

MaineRed
05-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Count me as a John Sterling fan. I love his call, "thaaaaaaa pitch," as well as his HR call. At least with Sterling he doesn't use the SAME exact call on balls hit 20 feet short of the warning track the way George Grande does.

Grande HR call: "Hit prettty good to right, does it have enough? Yes sir!"
Grande flyball call: "Hit pretty good to right, does it have enough? Nope, it will stay in the park."

Sterling HR call: "It is high, it is far, it is gone!"
Sterling flyball call: "Flyball hit out to right, Ichiro is there, 2 down."

On the subject of Grande and being annoying:

"The Buccos" I think Grande uses the term Buccos more than the rest of America combined. They are the Pirates. Just as the Angels are the Angels and not the Halos. What is the deal with changing the names of the team you are playing? An Angel and a Halo are not even remotely the same. Has anyone ever heard anyone call the Washington Redskins the head dresses? Or the Indians? There would be nothing different calling the Redskins the head dresses as it would be calling the Angels, the Halos and it would be no different calling the Skins the Indians as it is calling the Pirates the Bucs. Are we going to call the Milwaukee Bucks the Deeros?

"You now his story" And then he proceeds to tell us the guys story. But only if the guys story is positive. Has Grande ever told us:

"Here comes Wild Thing Vaughn. You know his story. 4 years for grand theft auto, last pitched in the California Penal League, can't get the ball over the plate, possibly on his way to the minors, huh Chris?"

Instead it would be:

"Here comes Wild Thing Vaughn. You know his story. Some trouble in the past Chris but he'd tell you if you asked, thats all behind him now. This guy can really throw some heat, huh?

Repeating what others have said the fact that he doesn't say damn when it is the name of a show his job REQUIRES him to promote bothers me. If you disagree with the name of the show to such a level, QUIT. Maybe that will show the powers that be it should be changed. The cute little protest GG does only makes him look like a baby.

George and his references to Daddy Wags and Jesse Jackson. Been watching the Reds on the dish for the last 7 years and I have no idea who these people are. It would be one thing if he ONLY said, "Daddy Wags will look that up for us." But having a conversation with the people that the viewers have no knowledge of is an announcing no no. Someone right out of school should have that knowledge. Amazing that the guy who worked on the first Sportscenter struggles with it.

I'll stop there as I am just repeating myself from the last Grande bashing thread.

Blimpie
05-16-2006, 12:10 PM
I remember Harry Caray trying to say Jon Nunnaly. He called him McNannley and MacAnnally and Nunnannlee.He also called Ron Cey "Ron Santo" approximately 47 times per year.

Oh yeah, and whenever he tried to say "Hec-tor Veee-lah-nooo-eh-vay" he nearly choked on his own cud.

WMR
05-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Count me as a John Sterling fan. I love his call, "thaaaaaaa pitch," as well as his HR call. At least with Sterling he doesn't use the SAME exact call on balls hit 20 feet short of the warning track the way George Grande does.

Grande flyball call: "Hit pretty good to right, does it have enough? Nope, it will stay in the park."

On the subject of Grande and being annoying:

"The Buccos" I think Grande uses the term Buccos more than the rest of America combined. They are the Pirates. Just as the Angels are the Angels and not the Halos. What is the deal with changing the names of the team you are playing? An Angel and a Halo are not even remotely the same. Has anyone ever heard anyone call the Washington Redskins the head dresses? Or the Indians? There would be nothing different calling the Redskins the head dresses as it would be calling the Angels, the Halos and it would be no different calling the Skins the Indians as it is calling the Pirates the Bucs. Are we going to call the Milwaukee Bucks the Deeros?

"You now his story" And then he proceeds to tell us the guys story. But only if the guys story is positive. Has Grande ever told us:

"Here comes Wild Thing Vaughn. You know his story. 4 years for grand theft auto, last pitched in the California Penal League, can't get the ball over the plate, possibly on his way to the minors, huh Chris?"

Instead it would be:

"Here comes Wild Thing Vaughn. You know his story. Some trouble in the past Chris but he'd tell you if you asked, thats all behind him now. This guy can really throw some heat, huh?

Repeating what others have said the fact that he doesn't say damn when it is the name of a show his job REQUIRES him to promote bothers me. If you disagree with the name of the show to such a level, QUIT. Maybe that will show the powers that be it should be changed. The cute little protest GG does only makes him look like a baby.

George and his references to Daddy Wags and Jesse Jackson. Been watching the Reds on the dish for the last 7 years and I have no idea who these people are. It would be one thing if he ONLY said, "Daddy Wags will look that up for us." But having a conversation with the people that the viewers have no knowledge of is an announcing no no. Someone right out of school should have that knowledge. Amazing that the guy who worked on the first Sportscenter struggles with it.

I'll stop there as I am just repeating myself from the last Grande bashing thread.

BRAVO, MaineRed!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

bucksfan
05-16-2006, 12:36 PM
When a golf announcer (not that I watch much golf, but I have heard this) says, "...good golf shot". What the heck other kind of shot could it have been?!?!?

edabbs44
05-16-2006, 12:37 PM

Oh but you didn't mention the trademarked Sterling just over the wall HR call.

Sterling just barely HR call: "Flyball hit out to right, Ichiro drifting back, still back...ITISHIGHITISFARITISGONE!!!". Meanwhile, Sheffield is on 2nd already while JS is blurting out the HR call.

MaineRed
05-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Yeah, he should just change it to, "flyball to right, Ichiro drifting back, still back, IT IS GONE."

Just use the, "it is high, it is far," part for obvious HRs.

Speaking of HR calls, did anyone hear Colin Cowherd recently (last 3-4 weeks) talking about that very subject? He played a bunch of calls and talked about how they were all too similar and then he tried a couple he might use if he were announcing. It was so funny. I forget exactly what he said but they went something like this:

"Pitch to Bonds, hit deep to right, way back, HR. That ball was torched, just like my Enron stock."

RichRed
05-16-2006, 12:50 PM
He also called Ron Cey "Ron Santo" approximately 47 times per year.

Oh yeah, and whenever he tried to say "Hec-tor Veee-lah-nooo-eh-vay" he nearly choked on his own cud.

Pretty sure he sprained his jaw trying to say Mark Grudzielanek's name. One of the many pronunciations he tried was something like "Gruhzeelyanack." Not sure if he ever tried to say that one backwards.

savafan
05-16-2006, 01:21 PM
I liked listening to Joe try and say Luis Quinones

Unassisted
05-16-2006, 01:36 PM
I've probably posted this half a dozen times here, so the old-timers must be tired of seeing it from me. Far and away, my absolute least favorite announcer phrase always rears its head during the playoffs.

"The Regular Year"

There is no such thing as a "regular year." Regular season, yes. Regular year, no.

Baseball season doesn't last a whole year. There is a new season every year, but that doesn't mean that season = year.

If the regular season happens during the regular year, that means the playoffs happen during the irregular year. In clothing stores, when an item is marked "irregular," that means there's something wrong with it. Are announcers who use the phrase "regular year" really trying to tell us that there is something wrong with the playoffs? :evil:

NJReds
05-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Oh but you didn't mention the trademarked Sterling just over the wall HR call.

Sterling just barely HR call: "Flyball hit out to right, Ichiro drifting back, still back...ITISHIGHITISFARITISGONE!!!". Meanwhile, Sheffield is on 2nd already while JS is blurting out the HR call.

Sterling is corny at times, but a fun listen.

LawFive
05-16-2006, 04:11 PM
"There's a bloop". Or alternatively, "Blooped over to..."

The past couple of weeks, everything's a bloop. Fly ball, line out, foul grounder, etc...it's all a bunch of bloop.

dsmith421
05-16-2006, 04:17 PM
The "Buccos" thing absolutely drives me crazy too. Outside of George Grande, I have never heard anyone refer to the Pittsburgh National League club as the "Buccos". "Pirates", yes. On occasion, to throw in a little variety "Bucs" in the same way someone might say "Redlegs" or "Yanks". My sister lives in Pittsburgh for God's sake, I went to college and law school with tons of people from Pgh and have never heard it before.

And George says it every time.

Oh, and "Redbirds." But you know their story.

Blimpie
05-16-2006, 04:31 PM
I liked listening to Joe try and say Luis QuinonesYou must mean: "Louis Key-Know-Nez"

James B.
05-16-2006, 04:42 PM
I have to say that even though Grande is annoying sometimes I really respect him as a person. I love the fact that he does not curse during the brodcast when my kids are watching the reds. I do try to turn the channel during commercials if my kids are around.Sometimes I think the problem with Grande is that some of us hard core reds fans watch over 100 games a year on t.v. Just about any announcer would probably be annoying.

RichRed
05-16-2006, 04:49 PM
When a golf announcer (not that I watch much golf, but I have heard this) says, "...good golf shot". What the heck other kind of shot could it have been?!?!?

YES! I'm glad you mentioned this one - it drives me nuts too. My brother and I have taken to using this when we're watching other sports. Oh, what a great basketball shot. That was a fine football play. Nice hockey goal. (Well, we don't actually watch much hockey but you get the idea.)

registerthis
05-16-2006, 05:02 PM
YES! I'm glad you mentioned this one - it drives me nuts too. My brother and I have taken to using this when we're watching other sports. Oh, what a great basketball shot. That was a fine football play. Nice hockey goal. (Well, we don't actually watch much hockey but you get the idea.)

That was a nice language post there, Richie.

RichRed
05-16-2006, 05:06 PM
That was a nice language post there, Richie.

Quality word sentence, Reg.

MaineRed
05-16-2006, 06:08 PM
I have to say that even though Grande is annoying sometimes I really respect him as a person. I love the fact that he does not curse during the brodcast when my kids are watching the reds. I do try to turn the channel during commercials if my kids are around.

Is that because of the Best Sports Show Period? If so, I can see that if I had kids. Fox Sports Net is a joke and it is nothing I would want my kids watching. I just think Grande by choosing to cash his check each week has an obligation to say what is on the card. He works for Fox. That show is the backbone of Fox Sports Net and Grande is in bed with that network. He works for them. As I said before, if he doesn't believe in being associated with a show by such a name, he should resign.

I respect you having respect for him for this reason but I have less respect for him. He puts himself above the network he works for. If not saying the word damned is so important to him, make a real stand.

Sometimes I think the problem with Grande is that some of us hard core reds fans watch over 100 games a year on t.v. Just about any announcer would probably be annoying.

Thats not it IMO. The guy is just VERY annoying. What you are saying might be true for the average run of the mill announcers but not guys at the top of the class. I doubt if Dodger fans get too annoyed with Vin or if Card fans used to start threads every other day about how bad Jack Buck was. I want a guy other people (non Red fans) dislike. Not a guy I dislike. I find Marty somewhat annoying but he is not even in the same ballpark as George Grande. As far as home team fans are concerned, Grande has to be one of the worst going.

Can anyone think of another announcer, in any major sport who more annoys the home team fans he is speaking to?

TOBTTReds
05-16-2006, 06:18 PM
I hate when they talk about someone who is terrible and say:
"He's a real competitor. A lot of fire in his belly" (i hate the word belly in any sense, i dont know why, but it sounds so childesh).

"He hates to lose. A real gamer."

I think those things were all said about Milton last year by Miley every post game interview after a bad start.

TOBTTReds
05-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Thats not it IMO. The guy is just VERY annoying. What you are saying might be true for the average run of the mill announcers but not guys at the top of the class. ....Not a guy I dislike. I find Marty somewhat annoying but he is not even in the same ballpark as George Grande. As far as home team fans are concerned, Grande has to be one of the worst going.

Can anyone think of another announcer, in any major sport who more annoys the home team fans he is speaking to?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's very true. Also, do other announcers openly root for the oppenents. I'm waiting for the day he says "We are on the smiling side of the scoreboard" when the cards are beating us.

BoydsOfSummer
05-16-2006, 08:54 PM
"Next on the banana phone, we go to..."

scounts22
05-17-2006, 07:46 AM
Among many other things listed here, it drives me nuts when George reads the lottery numbers. Not that I even care about the lottery numbers, but I hate to hear him reading those at 90 miles per hour. It's like he's trying to compete with that guy (the fastest talker in the world) who did the commercials for the micro-mini cars. (Is that what they were called?)

registerthis
05-17-2006, 09:18 AM
"Next on the banana phone, we go to..."

Shoot, why get that far?

"And out comes the tarp...when we return, we'll be taking your calls on the banana phone..."

savafan
05-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Among many other things listed here, it drives me nuts when George reads the lottery numbers. Not that I even care about the lottery numbers, but I hate to hear him reading those at 90 miles per hour. It's like he's trying to compete with that guy (the fastest talker in the world) who did the commercials for the micro-mini cars. (Is that what they were called?)

micro-machines :thumbup:

tsj017
05-17-2006, 10:53 AM
I've probably posted this half a dozen times here, so the old-timers must be tired of seeing it from me. Far and away, my absolute least favorite announcer phrase always rears its head during the playoffs.

"The Regular Year"

There is no such thing as a "regular year." Regular season, yes. Regular year, no.

Baseball season doesn't last a whole year. There is a new season every year, but that doesn't mean that season = year.

If the regular season happens during the regular year, that means the playoffs happen during the irregular year. In clothing stores, when an item is marked "irregular," that means there's something wrong with it. Are announcers who use the phrase "regular year" really trying to tell us that there is something wrong with the playoffs? :evil:

YES! That one's always annoyed the heck outta me, too.

And for some reason, it seems to be a Fox thing. I don't recall hearing "regular year" until Fox got the baseball postseason. Can we blame it on Joe Buck?

It's "regular season", and anyone who spends any time listening to or watching baseball should know that.

Newman4
05-17-2006, 12:43 PM
I used to hate the Cubs announcers on WGN (Steve Stone maybe???) that used to try and "trill" their "R's" when they would say "Ricky Gutierrez" in their fake hispanic accent.

"Ree-Kee-Goo-Tee-Aye-Rays" :rolleyes:

Ltlabner
05-17-2006, 05:21 PM
One of my favorite memories of Nuxhie is the famous Louis Quinones interview. He didn't flinch or hesitate for a second when Louis replyed in completey unintegligable english (at least to my non-spanish speaking ears). I busted out laughing when I read the first post about it here. Ahhhhhh the memories.

I hate when during the star of the game interview they ask an oposing team's player some question like, "How did it feel to get that game winning home run in the 9th?". We all know the guy feals like a million bucks and is walking on cloud nine...why even ask. Secondly, why put the guy in an awkward spot. What do you want him to say, "well, it was awesome to crush that ball into Newport. Frankly your pitcher was throwing crap tonight and I couldn't believe he lobbed one over the plate like that". You know they are going to give a diplomatic and PC answer so why even ask?

Frankly, I think the expression "going yard" is horrible. I've heard it far to often from a number of folks and it's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

tsj017
05-19-2006, 01:26 PM
YES! That one's always annoyed the heck outta me, too.

And for some reason, it seems to be a Fox thing. I don't recall hearing "regular year" until Fox got the baseball postseason. Can we blame it on Joe Buck?

It's "regular season", and anyone who spends any time listening to or watching baseball should know that.

I heard Marty himself say "the regular year" during yesterday's game.

:bang: :bang:

I'm a Marty fan, but that's weak. He should know better.

fisch11
05-19-2006, 05:30 PM
I've got many from Grande of course, but his overuse of the phrase "Big-Time". Anytime there is a good play....."And Phillips come up with a big-time catch at 2nd." Or, "Jr. delivers big-time here in the 5th." I once heard him use it twice in one sentence......"Encarnacion makes a big-time play at third for the big-time out to end the inning." Makes me want to pour hot wax over my eyeballs.

ThatPitchIsDunn
05-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Sterling is corny at times, but a fun listen.

I'm all for an announcer having a clever catchphrase for a win. (Marty's just rocks; that's all there is to it.) But Sterling's "Yankees win! The-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e Yankees win!" drives me INSANE.

A typical Yankee broadcast:

Sterling: "So here comes Matsui. Schilling winds and delivers. And that is (5 second pause) low, Ball 1. 1-0 to Matsui."

Waldman: (in an unbearably nasal voice) "John, that pitch looked low to me. It was out of the strike zone and the ump called it a ball"

Sterling: "I think you're right Susan."

One more Yankee thing (living in Connecticut I can't turn around without being confronted by references to them): Has anyone who has YES seen Jim Kaat lately. My goodness, he looks like the grandfather from the Munsters!

Unassisted
05-19-2006, 06:30 PM
The "Buccos" thing absolutely drives me crazy too. Outside of George Grande, I have never heard anyone refer to the Pittsburgh National League club as the "Buccos". MLB.TV used the Pirates' radio feed as the audio for Thursday's game, and I heard the Pirates' radio announcer refer to his team as the "Buccos" a couple of times during the time I watched, so it is a legitimate nickname. Maybe ol' George is not so far off his rocker after all?

scounts22
05-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Has anyone else heard George refer to the Tigers as the Bengals tonight? Or was that just me...

Hap
05-19-2006, 10:22 PM
This copyrighted broadcast is authorized under (the) broadcasting rights granted by The Cincinnati Reds, solely for the entertainment of our listening audience. Any publication, rebroadcast or other use of the descriptions and (the) accounts of this game without the express written consent of The Cincinnati Reds is prohibited.

UGADaddy
05-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Has anyone else heard George refer to the Tigers as the Bengals tonight? Or was that just me...

Yeah, the Bengals references annoyed me, too.

Tony Cloninger
05-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Only 2 announcers have not annoyed me while listening to baseball.

Vin Scully

Dick Enberg (he was great when he did the Angels games in the 70-80's and NFL on NBC)

The only good thing about Sterling's voice...is that it reminds me of how BAD the Braves used to be in the middle to late 80's....and how i laughed every time they would start their broadcasts off by saying..."Welcome to TBS...home of the Atlanta Braves......America's Team."

When you hear Harry Carey doing Game 1 of th 1968 WS...i can see how this guy was one of the best. Clear....lucid and on the ball like you would not ever think he could be.

I need more of Will Farrell's.... HC impersanations though.... i cannot stop laughing at his interview with Jeff Goldblum about the moon being made of cheese on SNL.

Big Daddy P
05-20-2006, 08:42 AM
Grande & Welsh on FSN Cincy constantly comment on Cincy pitchers that they're doing a good job except for the one or 2 innings or how difficult it is to pitch with little run support!

Claussen last night has already given up 4 runs by the 6th inning and he's doing a good job? 4 runs in 6 innings is a 6.00 era! That's GOOD?????? Are you kidding me? That sucks! A "good" job would be 2 runs or less!

If a pitcher's era is 4 or over, he's NOT a good pitcher, period!

GEEZ!

Spitball
05-20-2006, 02:07 PM
I remember watching a Cubs game late in Harry Caray's career when beer and a bit of dementia made for some interesting statements and mispronunciations. Harry slurs to Steve Stone, "You know, Steve, it's hard to believe the Dodgers have gone 215 years without using a lefthanded starting pitcher."

Stone responded, "I believe that's 215 games, Harry, but that is a long time."

Back in the early 1970's, Juan Marichal was at the end of his career and pitching briefly for the Red Sox. The Sox also briefly had an announcer named Jim Woods, who had all sorts of problems getting things straight. A friend and I were driving in my VW and listening to the game when Woods broadcasted Marichal's first start for the Sox, "Marichal kicks and delivers. There is a deep drive to centerfield. Marichal is on his horse and chases the ball down at the wall!"

My friend and I both turned to each other, wide eyed, and exclaimed, "What the...!?"

Turned out he meant the Sox' other Juan, Juan Beniquez, had caught the ball at the wall, but it sure sounded like Marichal was going to be a superman for the Sox.

BCubb2003
05-20-2006, 04:39 PM
"Winfield goes back to the wall... He hits his head on the wall and it rolls off! It's rolling all the way back to second base! This is a terrible thing for the Padres!"

-- the legendary Jerry Coleman

Spitball
05-20-2006, 05:56 PM
"Winfield goes back to the wall... He hits his head on the wall and it rolls off! It's rolling all the way back to second base! This is a terrible thing for the Padres!"

-- the legendary Jerry Coleman

Quotations From Jerry Coleman
"And Kansas is at Chicago tonight or is it Chicago at Kansas City? Well, no matter as Kansas leads in the eighth four-to-four."

"(Bruce) Benedict may not be hurt as much as he really is."

"Bob Davis is wearing his hair differently this year, short and with curls like Randy Jones wears, I think you call it a Frisbee."

"Enos Cabell started out here with the Astros and before that he was with the Orioles."

"Eric Show will be oh-for-ten if that pop fly comes down."

"Gaylord Perry and Willie McCovey should know each other like a book. They've been ex-teammates for years now."

"George Hendrick simply lost that sun-blown popup."

"(Johnny) Grubb goes back, back. He's under the warning track."

"He (Graig Nettles) leaped up to make one of those diving stops only he can make."

"He slides into second with a stand up double."

"If (Pete) Rose's streak was still intact, with that single to left, the fans would be throwing babies out of the upper deck."

"Larry Lintz steals second standing up he slid, but he didn't have to."

"(Willie) McCovey swings and misses, and it's fouled back."

"On the mound is Randy Jones, the left-hander with the Karl Marx hairdo."

"Pete Rose has three-thousand hits and three-thousand and fourteen overall."

"Rich Folkers is throwing up in the bullpen."

"There's a hard shot to (Johnnie) LeMaster and he throws (Bill) Madlock into the dugout."

"There's someone warming up in the bullpen, but he's obscured by his number."

"They throw (Dave) Winfield out at second and he's safe."

"Those amateur umpires are certainly flexing their fangs tonight."

"Whenever you get an inflamed tendon, you've got a problem. OK, here's the next pitch to Gene (Tenace) Tendon."

"Willie Davis is not as young as he used to be."

"You never ask why you've been fired because if you do, they're liable to tell you."

"Young Frank Pastore may have just pitched the biggest victory of 1979, maybe the biggest victory of the year."

Spitball
05-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Quotations From Ralph Kiner
"All of his saves have come in relief appearances"

"All of the Mets road wins against the Dodgers this year occurred at Dodger Stadium."

"Darryl Strawberry has been voted to the Hall of Fame five years in a row."

"Hello, everybody. Welcome to Kiner's Corner. This is....uh. I'm...uh"

"He's going to be out of action the rest of his career." - about Bruce Sutter

"If Casey Stengel were alive today, he'd be spinning in his grave."

"It's like watching Mario Andretti park a car." - on Phil Niekro's knuckleball

"Kevin McReynolds stops at third and he scores."

"Now up to bat for the Mets is Gary Cooper."

"On Fathers Day, we again wish you all happy birthday."

"Solo homers usually come with no one on base."

"(Don) Sutton lost thirteen games in a row without winning a ballgame."

"The hall of fame ceremonies are on the thirty-first and thirty-second of July."

"The Mets have gotten their leadoff batter on only once this inning."

"The reason the Mets have played so well at Shea this year is they have the best home record in baseball."

"This one deep to right and it is way back, going, going, it is gone, no off of the top of the wall."

"There's a lot of heredity in that family."

"Tony Gwynn was named player of the year for April."

realistic
05-20-2006, 06:22 PM

hah - these are what i was about to say, especially the 'he gone' , it just sounds so idiotic. I figured id check first to see if they were already mentioned and what do ya know!

blumj
05-20-2006, 06:37 PM
hah - these are what i was about to say, especially the 'he gone' , it just sounds so idiotic. I figured id check first to see if they were already mentioned and what do ya know!
Harrelson says "we" when he's talking about the team. Makes me cringe every time.