PDA

View Full Version : Happy slumping news

TOBTTReds
05-14-2006, 08:48 PM
So we are in a bit of a rut. We are 4-7 in the last 11 games. But there is a reason to be looking up!

We are sold that our offense is good, and will be good for the rest of the year, but is just slumping a bit. Our pitching, most likely our starting pitching has been a major concern.

------------

In these 11 games, here are our starters numbers:

71 2/3 innings = 6.5 innings per start (not bad at all)

3.14 ERA

7 quality starts (5 of which were losses)

3.04 ERA in the losses, while averaging 6 1/3 innings

------------

You gotta like those numbers from our starters. Of course our bullpen and fielding have created some issues, but hopefully our starters will continue to do what they have been doing.

This could work out for the best. I think our pitchers sometimes feel it is OK to make mistakes because our hitters will bail them out. Maybe this slump will make our pitchers do their best.

Newport Red
05-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Then again. Those are games we still need to make up.

TOBTTReds
05-14-2006, 09:14 PM
yeah i know. I'm doing the "optimistic" view here. Can't change the losses, but you can take positives.

redsrule2500
05-14-2006, 09:50 PM
I'm not worried about our pitching now, worried about the offense.

reds44
05-14-2006, 09:57 PM
The offense is making me mad, but I'm not worried yet.

toledodan
05-14-2006, 09:59 PM

how many of us thought we would be saying that this year?

Tommyjohn25
05-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Wow that post actually made me feel better! It is a very good point, I think we all know that the bats will wake up again.

wheels
05-14-2006, 10:50 PM
If we assume the offense will get back to the mean, do we also assume that the pitching will ?

KronoRed
05-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Sadly.

TOBTTReds
05-14-2006, 11:37 PM
If we assume the offense will get back to the mean, do we also assume that the pitching will ?
:pray:

Reds1
05-14-2006, 11:59 PM
We also have played the best and the hotest in Colorado, Arizona, and now the hotest NL team the Phillies. It was tough though to get swept. We really were so close to winning 2 of those. Trying to stay positive, but I"d like to see some streak now. If you would have told me we were still this far over .500 at this point and I'd say no freakin way so I"m still pleased. Williams and Claussen have really made me smile. Do we miss Aurilia this much. LOL

TeamBoone
05-15-2006, 12:12 AM
We also have played the best and the hotest in Colorado, Arizona, and now the hotest NL team the Phillies. It was tough though to get swept. We really were so close to winning 2 of those.

You're right, every single one of those was a tough loss. But there were two very good things that should be recognized despite the losses:

#1 - the pitching from the bottom three in the rotation was very very good. Each one showed us that they can do it. Now I expect them to.

#2 - the offense is slumping (truly, they'll get over it), the Phillies pitched pretty good too, and the Reds lost. But not one of these games was a blowout.

TOBTTReds
05-15-2006, 12:13 AM
Here's a look forward to the rest of May:

3 @ Pit
3 @ Det
3 vs. Mil
3 vs. Ari
3 @ Chi

I think we can hope to win 8 or 9 of those and feel alright. The three at Det. worry me.

TeamBoone
05-15-2006, 12:18 AM

3 @ Pit
3 @ Det
3 vs. Mil
3 vs. Ari
3 @ Chi

I think we can hope to win 8 or 9 of those and feel alright. The three at Det. worry me.

If they can win 9, that's 15 wins in May.

Didn't I see that posted as someone's projection of what they need to do in order to be successful?

Reds1
05-15-2006, 12:42 AM
You're right, every single one of those was a tough loss. But there were two very good things that should be recognized despite the losses:

#1 - the pitching from the bottom three in the rotation was very very good. Each one showed us that they can do it. Now I expect them to.

#2 - the offense is slumping (truly, they'll get over it), the Phillies pitched pretty good too, and the Reds lost. But not one of these games was a blowout.

Also, note we are still only 1 game out as the cards lost. Houston is on our butts, but we are in decent position. ESPECIALLY, if we get this kind of pitching. Nice to know we have the big guys coming up, but we just need to get some hits. Night all

SirFelixCat
05-15-2006, 05:52 AM

3 @ Pit
3 @ Det
3 vs. Mil
3 vs. Ari
3 @ Chi

If this team is for real, and I think they just might be, slumping "O" aside, 9 wins is a realistic expectation for this team. It helps having the off day today and then getting 3 vs Pitt.

Spitball
05-15-2006, 07:17 AM
The offense is making me mad, but I'm not worried yet.

I wonder if the Reds may be experimenting with the humidors, a la Colorado.:eek:

Moosie52
05-15-2006, 07:58 AM
Our batters remind me of a bunch of women who have spent so much time together their periods synchronize. :eek: A couple of these guys need to break the pattern and get hot.

KronoRed
05-15-2006, 03:54 PM
I wonder if the Reds may be experimenting with the humidors, a la Colorado.:eek:
Hasn't hurt the other teams

TOBTTReds
05-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Hasn't hurt the other teams

Sure it could, for example, just look at the first post of the thread.

Spitball
05-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Sure it could, for example, just look at the first post of the thread.

I've wondered about other teams employing this method. It doesn't seem that Minute Maid/Enron Field is the same launching pad it was a few years ago.