PDA

View Full Version : Triple Play

griffeyfreak4
05-14-2006, 11:06 PM
The ChiSox just turned a triple play!

Runners on first and second w/ no out and the runners steal while the guy at the plat pops a bunt up. Paul Konerko catches it, fires to Iguchi at first, who fires to Uribe at second.

It was pretty. Have there been any other triple plays this year?

NastyBoy
05-14-2006, 11:12 PM
That is pretty odd. Probably one of the few instances the infield fly rule does not apply.

vaticanplum
05-14-2006, 11:18 PM
I can't believe the Reds have won the same number of games as the White Sox. they are playing such lovely all-around baseball ("all-around" meaning 80% awesome pitching, 20% everything else). Not that the Reds haven't been pretty at times, but still.

NastyBoy
05-14-2006, 11:26 PM
I can't believe the Reds have won the same number of games as the White Sox. they are playing such lovely all-around baseball ("all-around" meaning 80% awesome pitching, 20% everything else). Not that the Reds haven't been pretty at times, but still.

I don't think the Reds are at the same level as the Sox yet, but it sure if fun to talk about.

Patrick Bateman
05-15-2006, 12:14 AM
That is pretty odd. Probably one of the few instances the infield fly rule does not apply.

Firstly, the infield fly rule doesn't apply to bunts.

Secondly, the infield fly rule will never protect a base runner who leaves the base before the ball is caught. It only is used to signify that the batter is out. Runners may advance at their own risk.

reds44
05-15-2006, 12:15 AM

Secondly, the infield fly rule will never protect a base runner who leaves the base before the ball is caught. It only is used to signify that the batter is out. Runners may advance at their own risk.
I always wonder why somebody doesn't drop the ball on purpose when the infield fly rules goes into effect.

It really is risk free; the batter is still out and you may be able to confuse the runners into running.

Highlifeman21
05-15-2006, 01:08 AM
I always wonder why somebody doesn't drop the ball on purpose when the infield fly rules goes into effect.

It really is risk free; the batter is still out and you may be able to confuse the runners into running.

B/c it's illegal to purposely drop the ball with the intent of getting a force play. You're better off just letting it drop if you want to tempt the runners. As stated, the batter is out, so if you catch it the runners have to tag, whereas if you let it drop, then they might be tempted to go once it hits the ground.

reds44
05-15-2006, 01:11 AM
B/c it's illegal to purposely drop the ball with the intent of getting a force play. You're better off just letting it drop if you want to tempt the runners. As stated, the batter is out, so if you catch it the runners have to tag, whereas if you let it drop, then they might be tempted to go once it hits the ground.
Yeah thats what I meant. I didn't mean let it hit your glove and drop it, but just let it fall and hit the ground.

NastyBoy
05-15-2006, 01:17 AM

My comment was about the play being odd. Not that the infield fly rule was not used.

redsmetz
05-15-2006, 08:33 AM
The ChiSox just turned a triple play!

snip

It was pretty. Have there been any other triple plays this year?

I think this is the first of the season. I did find an interesting page about Triple Plays at http://tripleplays.sabr.org

RedFanAlways1966
05-15-2006, 08:46 AM
Runners on first and second w/ no out and the runners steal while the guy at the plat pops a bunt up. Paul Konerko catches it, fires to Iguchi at first, who fires to Uribe at second.

Why bunt if you are going to have your runners take off on a steal? Perhaps I am wrong, but sounds like a dumb call by the Twins manager/coach/whomever to me.

:confused: