PDA

View Full Version : Words you've never been able to pronounce correctly

max venable
05-15-2006, 02:48 PM
I've ALWAYS stuggled with the word ABOMINABLE. In fact, the way I usually pronounce it is an abomination. But I've been practicing and I think I just about have it nailed.

I've also, at times, struggled when trying to pronounce DEUTERONOMY. Sometimes I nail it, sometimes I butcher it.

I have a friend who cannot pronounce the word LENGTH. It's a trip to hear him attempt it.

And I like to screw with my three-year-old son by asking him to pronounce words like ALUMINUM, CINNAMON, and SPAGHETTI. That's always fun. :D

RedsManRick
05-15-2006, 02:50 PM
For me, Height always = Heighth. Don't know why.

Of course, when I was 3 or 4 I couldn't differentiate between shirt and short for the life of me...

dabvu2498
05-15-2006, 02:53 PM
Encarnacion

gonelong
05-15-2006, 03:02 PM
indubitably

When I try to say "while" it often comes out as "why" - the shame!

GL

Falls City Beer
05-15-2006, 03:03 PM
I dislike when people pronounce the word "ever" as "every." "Have you every been there?"

WTF?

RedFanAlways1966
05-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Cinnamon.

Hate that word. Just hard for me to say correctly. :bang:

Falls City Beer
05-15-2006, 03:29 PM
I promise not to take this thread too far astray, but a phenomenon that gets me sometimes is a kind of word transposition (aphasia?): I'll say "bumper sticker" when I mean "license plate," and vice versa. I do that sometimes with things that are commonly in close proximity in space.

vaticanplum
05-15-2006, 03:37 PM
I promise not to take this thread too far astray, but a phenomenon that gets me sometimes is a kind of word transposition (aphasia?): I'll say "bumper sticker" when I mean "license plate," and vice versa. I do that sometimes with things that are commonly in close proximity in space.

I mix up diverge and divulge constantly, still. That's not quite what you're talking about since they aren't physical things next to each other, but it's incredibly annoying. I really have to think hard about which one I mean every time.

I lived in France for awhile and was pretty fluent in French, although I'm sure I've lost a great deal of it now. But there are two words that I NEVER remember in English, only French: frog (grenouille) and pedestrians (pietons). It can take me several minutes, hours sometimes, to remember these words in English, and I have no idea why this is. I'm totally fascinated by it though. Like, what part of my brain decided that these two utterly unrelated words needed not to be there in English?

Anyway, that's off-topic, but there you go. I don't think there are any pronounciations I stumble over apart from names. (None of which I'm aware, anyway.)

vaticanplum
05-15-2006, 03:40 PM
And I like to screw with my three-year-old son by asking him to pronounce words like ALUMINUM, CINNAMON, and SPAGHETTI. That's always fun. :D

The Brits say aluminium. They spell it differently too. This has always confused the heck out of me, because it's an element on the universal periodic table. Scientists, can you explain?

I love hearing little kids say their versions of "spaghetti".

Roy Tucker
05-15-2006, 03:57 PM
My sister says "ambliance" instead of "ambulance".

I have a heckuva time with "cellular" so I just say "cell".

I do the transposition thing, but then I'm left-handed and my brain is all cross-wired.

TC81190
05-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Burgarly

Yachtzee
05-15-2006, 04:07 PM
I'm generally pretty good at pronunciation and have been known to be a pretty good mimic. In Austria, they liked to have Americans say the word "Oachkatzlschwoaf" (squirrel's tale) because, no matter how hard they tried, Americans could never say it without an American accent. I was able to do it. The one thing I was never able to master is that in Standard German, they roll their "R"s in the back of their tongue, whereas I can only roll my "R"s using the front of mine.

I enjoy how my mother-in-law and her family (all English) say certain words. My favorite is Pringle's potato chips, which they pronounce "Prin-GOALS". That and the fact that in England they have prawn salad flavor. Britannia Rules. :)

RichRed
05-15-2006, 04:29 PM
I don't think I've ever heard the word asterisk* pronounced correctly.

*It's as-tuh-risk, not astrik or astrix.

rdiersin
05-15-2006, 04:34 PM
I'd agree with Cinnamon. Then there's the evil of all evil words for me Worcestershire.

RichRed
05-15-2006, 04:37 PM
I tend to have a problem with antidisestablishmentarianism. The word, not the concept.

Sweetstop
05-15-2006, 04:59 PM
My sister says "ambliance" instead of "ambulance".

I have a heckuva time with "cellular" so I just say "cell".

I do the transposition thing, but then I'm left-handed and my brain is all cross-wired.

Ahh! Another lefty. All the greats of course....;)

A lot of people mispronounce "etcetera" saying "excetra"

max venable
05-15-2006, 05:06 PM
I tend to have a problem with antidisestablishmentarianism. The word, not the concept.
really? It's never been a problem for me.

bucksfan
05-15-2006, 05:13 PM
wasps' nests - if that qualifies

Most others I believe I can pronounce fine as long as I don't get lazy. Some do require more effort for me to pronounce correctly.

TeamCasey
05-15-2006, 05:29 PM
eskimo

vaticanplum
05-15-2006, 05:32 PM
I have a cousin who still says "hopspital".

Falls City Beer
05-15-2006, 05:45 PM
Cerebral (when the accent is on the first syllable). I always pronounce it accenting the second syllable.

05-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Arsenio Hall. I always pronounced it "Arseenio". Fortunately, it isn't a problem anymore!

Hap
05-15-2006, 06:33 PM
Although I am college educated and gainfully employed, I cannot escape my rural NW Ohio dialect.

My double-d's and double-t's always sound the same. Eddie Vedder better eat cheddar or I'll write him a letter. I sometimes catch myself saying "warsh" instead of "wash". I never pronounce the g's on ing's and the i becomes a schwa, instead of a long e sound; "taking" sounds like "taken" and "sharing" sounds like "Sharon". And I sometimes leave out a single vowel sound that makes only one syllable in a word, such as Amerrca is my favorrt.

Red in Chicago
05-15-2006, 06:38 PM
linoleum...gets me everytime...i swear i have to say it at least 3 - 5 times before i get it right...

pretty much anything starting with "hu"...i tend to leave off the "h"...
huge to me, is really "uge", humid is "umid" and so forth...

people tend to make fun of me on those...

TeamCasey
05-15-2006, 07:46 PM
pretty much anything starting with "hu"...i tend to leave off the "h"...
huge to me, is really "uge", humid is "umid" and so forth...

people tend to make fun of me on those...

That sounds more like New York than Chicago.:)

Johnny Vander m
05-15-2006, 08:35 PM
People here in the south tease me on how I pronounce these 4 small words,

Fish, Dish, Wash and Orange.

I say them as,,,,,Fesh, Desh, Warsh and well I can't even spell the way I say orange.

Comes from my rural Ohio backgrown?

IowaRed
05-15-2006, 08:36 PM
I've always had trouble with regularly

Johnny Vander m
05-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Vinagar or X-lax should help. :D

SandyD
05-15-2006, 09:20 PM
I mix up diverge and divulge constantly, still. That's not quite what you're talking about since they aren't physical things next to each other, but it's incredibly annoying. I really have to think hard about which one I mean every time.

Actually, phonetically, they're not so different. IIRC, the "r" sounds and "l" sounds are the most similar sounds in the English language on a vocal spectrum. I'd imagine those to words, which "seem" so different to our ears, are pretty similar really.

Tommyjohn25
05-15-2006, 09:34 PM
I can't really think of anything off the top of my head that I have a hard time with, but my Dad has quite a few that are Reds related.

Encarnacion=Encarcion. Both Juan and Eddie
Wily Mo=WYly Mo. Never could pronounce it "willy"
Krivsky=KrivEsky. Still can't figure out why on that one.
Coffee=ready for this one? Fowler. :confused:
Denorfia=ummm.....forget about it.

What's odd about this is my Dad is as die hard as they come, but he was born in deep southern Kentucky and there are certain things he just can't say. He's actually very articulate compared to what he used to be. But Fowler??? Come on Dad.

Also, this isn't really the same thing. But my girlfriend can never remember the word "spinach" she just calls it "green stuff".

Falls City Beer
05-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Actually, phonetically, they're not so different. IIRC, the "r" sounds and "l" sounds are the most similar sounds in the English language on a vocal spectrum. I'd imagine those to words, which "seem" so different to our ears, are pretty similar really.

"L"s and "R"s, the "liquids," are the two most similar phonetically.

StillFunkyB
05-15-2006, 10:29 PM

I say them as,,,,,Fesh, Desh, Warsh and well I can't even spell the way I say orange.

Would it be 'oinge' ?

I have heard quite a few people pronounce it that way....

I have always had a problem with caveat (when I see it, I forget how to pronounce it) and I still do not know the correct way to pronounce halcyon.

Johnny Vander m
05-15-2006, 10:53 PM
Yep thats it, "oinge"

In the 70"s I was selling real estate in Ohio and when I did a listing I could never pronounce "occupancy" ( still can't) so I would us the word "possession"
Isn't it funny how some words are just hard to say. Never had any trouble in saying " Lets me have anutter drink beertender" though.

SandyD
05-15-2006, 11:04 PM
"L"s and "R"s, the "liquids," are the two most similar phonetically.

I had a Chinese professor for physics in college. We were studying optics ... his specialty. He was supposed to be brilliant, but you couldn't tell whether he was saying reflection or refraction most of the time. This was an "intro" course, so it was extremely difficult.

I'm guessing he was better able to communicate in smaller, upper level classes.

I'm also guessing "diverge" and "divulge" would be quite similar phonetically in running speech.

(now, at the moment, I'm having trouble with double vowels ... wanting to type "ea" when I really mean "ee." It's happened several times today.)

BoydsOfSummer
05-15-2006, 11:31 PM
Particularly. Drives me nuts.

paintmered
05-16-2006, 08:26 AM
Norfolk. I have never been able to pronounce that one without people laughing at me.

RichRed
05-16-2006, 09:18 AM
My friend's dad can't say 'asparagus.' It comes out 'spagruss.' Just cracks me up. He's a well-educated retired judge but some words from his roots as a boy in rural Virginia just always stuck with him.

Yachtzee
05-16-2006, 09:44 AM
Norfolk. I have never been able to pronounce that one without people laughing at me.

Do you pronounce it the way the English do? They pronounce it "Nor-" and then what sounds like a very naughty word. They would never pronounce it like it's spelled. Likewise Norwich is "Norridge", Leicester is "Lester", and we all know Worchester is "Wooster".

vaticanplum
05-16-2006, 10:08 AM
I'm also guessing "diverge" and "divulge" would be quite similar phonetically in running speech.

This is all true and it makes me feel a little better, but I take it one step further into idiocy and actually mix up their meanings. I guarantee at some point on this board I will talk about paths divulging and diverging information (even sitting here I had to think really hard about that sentence).

I talked to my Grampa recently, and he told me about how he tore his "rotar cup". I won't even try to go into how he pronounced "sciatica".

Puffy
05-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Indigency

Puffy
05-16-2006, 11:33 AM
I've always had trouble with regularly

Eat more bran.

:evil:

Johnny Vander m
05-16-2006, 11:41 AM
No bartender, I don't want another drink.

max venable
05-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Maybe y'all have heard this one before...

The 9 hardest words to say:

I'm sorry.

I was wrong.

Will you forgive me?

Hollcat
05-16-2006, 01:25 PM
The word "rural" gives me problems.

I once heard Nuxhall try about three or four time to say "Cinergy" but it always came out Snynergy or something close to that. Finally he gave up and said "Aw hell, I can't say it."

savafan
05-16-2006, 01:48 PM
I have a speech impediment that prevents me from being able to say the "th" sound. I went through a couple years of speech therapy, but it didn't do any good. After 29 years, it was just recently discovered that I can't make this sound because I have a short tongue and I can't get it to the roof of my mouth in order to enunciate "th" properly.

I've never been able to say Elizabeth, my own sister's name. That was pretty cruel of my parents.

Yachtzee
05-16-2006, 02:31 PM
Houshmanzadeh

Matt700wlw
05-16-2006, 02:34 PM
I always wondered why people don't do wash something....they warsh it...

I've never warshed anything.

Red in Chicago
05-16-2006, 07:38 PM
i hate when i catch myself saying "probly", instead of "probably"...it really drives me crazy...thank goodness, i'm getting better at it...

WebScorpion
05-17-2006, 01:19 PM
i hate when i catch myself saying "probly", instead of "probably"...it really drives me crazy...thank goodness, i'm getting better at it...

I actually say 'prolly' instead of probably, but I do it on purpose. (I think I picked it up from Judge Reinhold's character in Fast Times At Ridgemont High.) I've always been fascinated with colloquialisms, but don't really have trouble pronouncing things myself. I spent a few years in Frankfurt, Germany and was able to fool a few people into believing I was a local there. My mother is from England and my father is true blue Cincinnatian, so I heard Ah-runge and Oringe, Wash and Warsh, Nah-f*ck and Norefoke, etc. all my life. Somehow my brain figured out that there are many ways to pronounce all words. Somebody mentioned trouble with the German rolling r sound, and finding it easier to pronounce the Spanish rolling r ... I had the opposite problem ... found it easier to use the back of my tongue for the German r than the front for the Spanish r. Odd, eh? But like Johnny, I find the hardest thing to say is 'No more beer for me.' the No always comes out as either 'One' or just an absence of sound. :D

BuckWoody
05-17-2006, 01:58 PM

Yup. That's 100% Darke County right there. I do pretty well pronouncing those words correctly but I had to work on it...I certainly didn't grow up hearing them pronounced the way they're supposed to be. ;)

Houshmanzadeh
It's pronounced "Tee Jay". :)

As for me, "rural" always gives me trouble...even if I did grow up rurally.

Roy Tucker
05-17-2006, 02:16 PM
When my kids were little, they always said lie-berry instead of library.