PDA

View Full Version : Mailbag: Pickup plans for potential race (5/15)

reds44
05-15-2006, 06:51 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/images/2006/05/11/YyXKXcUD.jpg

Mailbag: Pickup plans for potential race
Reds beat writer Mark Sheldon answers fans' questions
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

Only a trade would send Bronson Arroyo elsewhere during the remainder of his contract. (Al Behrman/AP)

I watched the press conference when the new ownership took over. The new owners said that if we were in playoff contention, that they would pick up a starting pitcher or reliever. My question is, at what part of the season would we pick a pitcher up and who would be possible choices for us to pick up?
-- Stuart S., Central City, Ken.
CEO Bob Castellini did not promise a starter or reliever. He said he'd be open to making necessary additions if it would put a contending Reds team over the hump. Right now, there are too many teams in the hunt like Cincinnati and few are ready to start shedding players and look to next year.

As the All-Star break and the July 31 non-waivers trade deadline gets closer, you'll start seeing fading teams seeking to dump expensive players or those in contract years and contending clubs trying to upgrade at areas where they have holes. My guess is, if the Reds are still in it, general manager Wayne Krivsky will be even busier than he is now.

Whatever happened to Ryan Wagner? I would think they would have brought him up before Elizardo Ramirez.
-- Johnny S., Cincinnati

Wagner is off to a rough start with Triple-A Louisville this season, and that usually doesn't earn a guy a promotion. Besides, the Reds called up Ramirez last month because they needed a starter to fill in for injured starting pitcher Eric Milton. Wagner is a reliever.

I recently read that Bronson Arroyo can become a free agent at the end of the year because he was traded in the first year of a multi-year deal he signed over the winter with Boston. Is this true?
-- Teddy E., Cincinnati

Not true. A player dealt in the midst of a multi-year contract can only elect for free agency the following offseason if he has five years of Major League service time. Added up at the time of his trade, Arroyo was closer to four years of total big-league service in six seasons.

In other words, he's not going anywhere for the remainder of his contract, which is almost three more years -- of course, barring the unlikely event of a trade.

When are the Reds going to step up and do the right thing by retiring Tom Seaver's No. 41? He dominated in Cincinnati and was the true winner of the 1981 Cy Young Award. Tom was a Red. Let's give him the respect he deserves.
-- Bruce C., Findlay, Ohio

As a kid in the 1970s and '80s, Seaver was one of my all-time favorite players to watch pitch. I first really came to watching him when he was a Red, but the honest truth is that he's more identified as a Mets great. That's where he enjoyed his best years (four 20-win seasons, compared to zero in Cincinnati) and New York was where he won a World Series.

As for respect, Seaver's playing career receives and deserves a ton of it. That will be properly reflected when he is enshrined in the Reds Hall of Fame later this season. If No. 41 were retired in his honor, I'd take no issue. He's been retired for 20 years now so there's been plenty of time to do it. I don't envision it happening.

Where is Don Gullett these days? Is he still in baseball?
-- Brady K., Philadelphia

I have heard that Gullett, the former Reds pitching coach, has not been in baseball since his dismissal last June. He lives in Kentucky.

Since the Reds got Brandon Phillips for a player to be named, if Phillips continues to play well and put up good numbers, can the Indians demand a better player in return or does his play have no bearing on what happens with the trade?
-- Brandon M., Loretto, Ken.

If this deal is like other trades of its kind, the Reds and Indians have likely already agreed on a short list of Minor League players that could potentially be exchanged for Phillips. When the time comes, Cleveland probably will select one of those players as the "player to be named."

If the Indians determine they don't like what's on the list anymore, they'll probably receive an amount of cash that was previously agreed upon in order to complete the trade. Either way, the Reds have definitely come out better for the acquisition.

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060515&content_id=1454981&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

kyle1976
05-15-2006, 06:57 PM
I just read this also on Cincinnatireds.com and I thought it was a pretty weak mailbag. Nothing of any substance or anything that most have us have already heard. One mailbag a week and this is all we get? Why wouldn't Sheldon throw out a few names that we could possibly trade for?

Aronchis
05-15-2006, 07:07 PM
I just read this also on Cincinnatireds.com and I thought it was a pretty weak mailbag. Nothing of any substance or anything that most have us have already heard. One mailbag a week and this is all we get? Why wouldn't Sheldon throw out a few names that we could possibly trade for?

Because it is to early. The Reds are most likely to be one of the teams who will shed.

Joseph
05-15-2006, 07:22 PM

This is meant as no disrespect to Mark, or any other writer for the Reds, but you'll find a dedicated board like Redszone.com has nearly as much information and just about as quickly as the writers who follow the team. The difference is we are hundreds or even thousands strong, and we do it out of 'love'. They are a single person and do it for a living.

kyle1976
05-15-2006, 07:24 PM
love your optimism :thumbup:

kyle1976
05-15-2006, 07:29 PM
This is meant as no disrespect to Mark, or any other writer for the Reds, but you'll find a dedicated board like Redszone.com has nearly as much information and just about as quickly as the writers who follow the team. The difference is we are hundreds or even thousands strong, and we do it out of 'love'. They are a single person and do it for a living.

Still, I would like to hear what Sheldon thinks at this time. It might be dead wrong, but putting your opinion out there takes some, you know, cajones.

UGADaddy
05-15-2006, 08:24 PM

I also think that Mark is aiming this at a different audience than us. He's writing to very casual fans. (He had to remind someone that we couldn't bring Wagner up to fill a starting spot for crying out loud.)

saboforthird
05-15-2006, 09:01 PM
I'm not going to cry over this mailbag. I've seen much worse (even columns) than this, starting with those from Hal (who by the way isn't my favorite, no offense meant toward those that are infatuated with him). :D

Patrick Bateman
05-15-2006, 09:07 PM
For the record, a player traded in the middle of a multi year contract with the required amount of service time DOES NOT have the right to become a FA. He has the right to demand a trade, and if not traded, then he can become a FA. Big difference.

TeamBoone
05-15-2006, 10:19 PM
I agree that most of this is old news to us... but that's because things are posted and discussed here as soon as they hit the press.

Heath
05-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Not sure if I agree with "Terrific Tom's" retired jersey. Seaver had some very steady years in Cincinnati - but I know the old-liners would look at 41 as some guy named Nuxhall, not Seaver.

TeamBoone
05-16-2006, 10:01 AM
Do you really think that Nuxhall was a better pitcher than Seaver?

Besides, they've already honored Nuxie... twice. A beautiful statue of him stands on the plaza entrance of the GAB, plus his famous words are lit up and giant sized on the outside of the building.

flyer85
05-16-2006, 10:09 AM
For the record, a player traded in the middle of a multi year contract with the required amount of service time DOES NOT have the right to become a FA. He has the right to demand a trade, and if not traded, then he can become a FA. Big difference.the second part is what the player's right is providing he has enough service time.

A player without the service time has no rights to demand a trade or gain free agency through demanding a trade.

Heath
05-16-2006, 10:19 AM

Besides, they've already honored Nuxie... twice. A beautiful statue of him stands on the plaza entrance of the GAB, plus his famous words are lit up and giant sized on the outside of the building.

Career wise - not even close - Seaver did much better overall with New York and even that one year in Chicago. Nuxie has the longetivity for playing with the Reds. Seaver had some good years - '81 comes to mind.

I'm saying that if the "41" gets retired, some people are going to be thinking "Nuxhall" not "Seaver".

westofyou
05-16-2006, 10:26 AM

Joe was the Reds most popular pitcher in the 50's, which prior to the 70's was the most loved era of Reds in the long history of Reds baseball. A lot of that had to do with

A. Local

B. Young player in Wartime

C. Top pitcher on team in mid 50's. electric stuff at times.

Aside from that Joe couldn't carry Seavers jock... but Seaver was never a Red in the minds of the fans, even despite his years in Cincinnati.

However in a turn of the screw Joe went 1-8 in t 1960 and was booed all year and dealt after the season. The Reds of course went to the WS that year and the following year Joe came back, having missed out on the fun.

TeamBoone
05-16-2006, 10:29 AM
I didn't even know Nuxall wore #41 until you posted it.

My observation has always been that retired numbers are reserved for past great players on any given team, independent of service time. The latter remembrance is done in other ways... like they've already done for Nuxie.

Is my observation wrong?

RANDY IN INDY
05-16-2006, 10:29 AM
Joe was the Reds most popular pitcher in the 50's, which prior to the 70's was the most loved era of Reds in the long history of Reds baseball. A lot of that had to do with

A. Local

B. Young player in Wartime

C. Top pitcher on team in mid 50's. electric stuff at times.

Aside from that Joe couldn't carry Seavers jock... but Seaver was never a Red in the minds of the fans, even despite his years in Cincinnati.

However in a turn of the screw Joe went 1-8 in t 1960 and was booed all year and dealt after the season. The Reds of course went to the WS that year and the following year Joe came back, having missed out on the fun.

Right on the mark.

macro
05-16-2006, 10:50 AM

My observation has always been that retired numbers are reserved for past great players on any given team, independent of service time. The latter remembrance is done in other ways... like they've already done for Nuxie.

Is my observation wrong?

I would disagree with the "independent of service time" part, TB. My take has always been that teams retire numbers based on what that player did in that team's uniform. It's all very subjective, though, and different franchises in all sports apply different standards.

That being said, I just don't think Seaver accomplished enough in a Reds uniform to have his number retired here. His stats as a Red don't even match those of Gullett, Nolan, Soto, Maloney, etc.

redsmetz
05-16-2006, 11:00 AM
Still, I would like to hear what Sheldon thinks at this time. It might be dead wrong, but putting your opinion out there takes some, you know, cajones.

In this case, this is the basic difference between a reporter and a columnist. Sheldon is meant to report, whereas someone like Lonnie Wheeler or Paul Daughterty are columnist and are paid for adding their opinion into the story. Just some food for thought.

TeamBoone
05-16-2006, 01:23 PM
I would disagree with the "independent of service time" part, TB. My take has always been that teams retire numbers based on what that player did in that team's uniform. It's all very subjective, though, and different franchises in all sports apply different standards.

You're right, of course. That didn't come out exactly the way I meant it to.

I was more trying to say that someone could have been on the Reds for 15 years and been been a mediocre player but endeared to the fans despite performance, which doesn't necessarily mean his number should be retired vs someone else who was on the team for 5 years but put up stellar numbers.

And you're right about Seaver; he was more dominant with the Mets (it was the Mets, right?).

Chip R
05-16-2006, 01:46 PM

Is my observation wrong?

You're not totally wrong. The theory behind retired numbers is to honor great players. But there are teams that will honor a player with a retired number who wasn't necessarily a great player but was popular. Joe would fall into that category. And teams retire numbers to honor owners or broadcasters.

cincyinco
05-16-2006, 03:25 PM
I also think that Mark is aiming this at a different audience than us. He's writing to very casual fans. (He had to remind someone that we couldn't bring Wagner up to fill a starting spot for crying out loud.)

THANK YOU! And I'd also like to point out he answered the question about arroyo opting for FA due to him being traded mid contract correctly. At least this guy is giving factual information instead of just BS like Hal McCoy.

Jr's Boy
05-16-2006, 03:33 PM

Is my observation wrong?

So I assume that Junior will enter the hall of fame as a Red then,right?

TeamBoone
05-16-2006, 04:58 PM
So I assume that Junior will enter the hall of fame as a Red then,right?

Absolutely not. I'm saying just the opposite.

Jr's greatest playing days were for the Mariners... I think he probably has the choice but there's no doubt in my mind that he'll go in as a Mariner. Though we weren't discussing the Hall of Fame, rather jersey retirement.

I'm not saying that Seaver's number should be retired by the Reds either; again, just the opposite. However, IMHO, it won't be because it's also Nuxie's number but rather that he didn't have his best years with the Reds.

Cyclone792
05-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Honestly, there's quite a few numbers I would retire before #41 for Seaver or Nuxhall ...

#11 Barry Larkin
#30 Paul Derringer
#31 Bucky Walters

Derringer and Walters wore more than one uniform number in their career with the Reds, but those numbers would undoubtedly be the ones they'd be best remembered with, IMO.

Ernie Lombardi wore #7, #27, #17, #2, #35 and #4 with the Reds. He wore #4 when the Reds won the World Series in 1940 and NL Pennant in 1939, plus he had solid years each of those seasons. I wouldn't be opposed to hanging up #4 in Schnozz's honor.

Eppa Rixey did not wear a uniform number for the bulk of his career, but in his final two seasons he wore #18 for the Reds.

Edd Roush, unfortunately, never wore a uniform #.

The problem is, except for Larkin's #11, the vast majority of the fan base has no sense of connection to any of the other above players/numbers, despite the great historical impact by those players on this franchise.