PDA

View Full Version : what could he start taking to help his recovery time? think, think, think

princeton
05-16-2006, 10:24 AM
From Jayson Stark at ESPN:

It's now eight days, 31 trips to home plate and nearly 5,000 frequent-flier miles since Barry Bonds last hit a home run. And from the way he talks, America's Anti-Idol might be more likely to nod off in mid-at-bat than he is to pass Babe Ruth any time soon.

"I just go home and sleep," Bonds said Monday, before going 1-for-3 against the Astros, with a walk, a strikeout, a pop-up and a bad-hop double to right. "Normally, I go home and work out and train and everything else. Now I'm just exhausted all the time.

"I'm tired," Bonds said, wearily. "I'm always tired. It's never been like this before. I sleep all the time, all day."

RedsManRick
05-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Recovering from all that heavy juicing must really take a toll on your body...

westofyou
05-16-2006, 10:28 AM
what could he start taking to help his recovery time? think, think, think

Jamba Juice - Orange-A-Peel with the protein boost.

paulrichjr
05-16-2006, 10:31 AM
From Jayson Stark at ESPN:

It's now eight days, 31 trips to home plate and nearly 5,000 frequent-flier miles since Barry Bonds last hit a home run. And from the way he talks, America's Anti-Idol might be more likely to nod off in mid-at-bat than he is to pass Babe Ruth any time soon.

"I just go home and sleep," Bonds said Monday, before going 1-for-3 against the Astros, with a walk, a strikeout, a pop-up and a bad-hop double to right. "Normally, I go home and work out and train and everything else. Now I'm just exhausted all the time.

"I'm tired," Bonds said, wearily. "I'm always tired. It's never been like this before. I sleep all the time, all day."

It kind of reminds me of when McGwire stopped juicing (I think). He went from awesome-incredible to can't stay in the lineup and can't hit (in a manner of months).

Heath
05-16-2006, 10:46 AM

I love that stuff - my parents have one in NYC and my father-in-law lives near one in Florida.

I'll take the Matcha Green Tea Mist with the energy boost.

Unassisted
05-16-2006, 11:05 AM
http://homepage.mac.com/jfstrain/blogpics/june04/chocks.jpg
Chocks' lack of cyclamates will keep Barry from having that sluggish feeling.

Mario-Rijo
05-16-2006, 11:15 AM
Jamba Juice

I think that's called Jiambi Juice isn't? :evil:

cumberlandreds
05-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Apparently he is so tired he can't run out pop ups. I heard Jon Miller's call of a Bonds pop out this morning on ESPN radio. Bonds didn't run at all after popping a ball up and Miller was really giving him the business,deservedly so,IMO. It's pretty bad when the home team announcer is getting on you. Did anyone else hear this?

westofyou
05-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Apparently he is so tired he can't run out pop ups. I heard Jon Miller's call of a Bonds pop out this morning on ESPN radio. Bonds didn't run at all after popping a ball up and Miller was really giving him the business,deservedly so,IMO. It's pretty bad when the home team announcer is getting on you. Did anyone else hear this?I saw that... he dinked it above the 2nd basemans head and walked down the line with the bat in his hand, he then turned and started to walk away... I swear Kent dropped it on purpose. Then he started to run... Charlie Steiner was all over him on the Dodgers Broadcast, the man can't stop when he runs, he can't cut at all.

He shouldn't be in the field.

RedFanAlways1966
05-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Apparently he is so tired he can't run out pop ups. I heard Jon Miller's call of a Bonds pop out this morning on ESPN radio. Bonds didn't run at all after popping a ball up and Miller was really giving him the business,deservedly so,IMO. It's pretty bad when the home team announcer is getting on you. Did anyone else hear this?

:eek: What is wrong with Jon Miller?!?! Doesn't he understand the unwritten rules of the game?

Unwritten Rules of The Game
(1) Barry does whatever the hell Barry wants to do. If you don't like it, then you are a racist who likes to make his son cry.
(2) Barry only plays for teams that follow rule 1. Jim Leyland tried it his own way and Barry packed-up and left town when he could do so.
(3) Barry plays when Barry wants to play. Does not matter how pathetic his body or numbers are at the time. See rule 1 for clarification.

I expect that Jon Miller will be reprimanded for his "actions" and might be suspended. You DO NOT question Barry. Barry's actions are not allowed to be questioned. Soon all MLB players will not run out popups... be like Barry.

Good thing for Jon Miller that our own Kent Mercker (a Barry subordinate) does not play with the Giants... he might have received a visit from Barry's subordinate.

Hubba
05-16-2006, 12:10 PM
"what could he start taking to help his recovery time? think, think, think "
The clear or the cream.:evil:

registerthis
05-16-2006, 12:24 PM
A week or so ago, I posted jokingly that it would be funny if Bonds was stuck on 713 forever.

Now, it's starting to sound like less of a joke. And I'm crying in my beer.

Heath
05-16-2006, 12:24 PM
And Barry's looking forward to prolonging his career as a DH......:rolleyes:

Heath
05-16-2006, 12:25 PM
A week or so ago, I posted jokingly that it would be funny if Bonds was stuck on 713 forever.

Now, it's starting to sound like less of a joke. And I'm crying in my beer.

Four words.

Sports Illustrated Cover Jinx.

vaticanplum
05-16-2006, 12:38 PM
I can't really think of anyone on the planet I'd less rather be than Barry Bonds right now. The man cannot be enjoying his life. At all.

Roy Tucker
05-16-2006, 12:45 PM
I can't really think of anyone on the planet I'd less rather be than Barry Bonds right now. The man cannot be enjoying his life. At all.
And Barry has to top the list of people on the planet that I'd like to see this misfortune happen to.

When I hear him complain, I think of what I tell my kids... big waaahh.

You reap what you sow Mr. Bonds.

redsmetz
05-16-2006, 01:24 PM

I had an uncle who played softball into his early sixties but his legs weren't worth anything and the league made a special rule that he could have a designated runner - from home plate. His nickname is Hammer. He could hit the snot out of a ball.

cincyinco
05-16-2006, 01:35 PM

ugh, a double shot of energy boost and its like you made it to the free five-o-clock crack giveaway...

http://www.susk.net/images/Tyrone_Biggums.jpg

NJReds
05-16-2006, 01:38 PM
http://www.geocities.com/thewheatiesking3/baberuth75years.jpg

BuckeyeRedleg
05-16-2006, 02:01 PM
I've said this before, but if I were Bonds and I knew I couldn't run or field anymore, I'd offer Billy Beane to come over there and play at Oakland and DH for free. He could take the place of Frank Thomas and then play another 5 years and hit 900 HR's. I know no other way to stick it to the media and to everyone that hates him. He might as well destroy every offensive record in the book and flip the middle finger to everyone in the process. Face it, without baseball, Bonds will be bored. Hitting HR's and doing his cocky little trot around the bases is his life. Whether he wants to believe it or not, he needs baseball way more than it needs him.

But he still could stick it to everyone and maybe win a ring in the process. Besides, the window for that Giant team is barely open and may have already closed.

Heath
05-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Besides, the window for that Giant team is barely open and may have already closed.

The only open window for the Giants right now is the one at the Federal Building in downtown SF for the Social Security Office to collect paychecks.

I thought Arizona was the place where you went to retire. Not to the winds and cold of San Francisco.

15fan
05-16-2006, 02:16 PM
It kind of reminds me of when McGwire stopped juicing (I think). He went from awesome-incredible to can't stay in the lineup and can't hit (in a manner of months).

My Godfather did a bunch of free-lance writing for the Cards & MLB several years ago. The last time I saw him (about 15-18 months ago) we were talking besbol and I asked him about McGwire. He said it was almost spooky the way that Mac went from mashing 550 foot homers to disappearing. And not just disappearing from the Cards' lineup, but disappearing from St. Loo and MLB altogether.

It's like he literally caught the last train out of town before the authorities showed up.

RedFanAlways1966
05-16-2006, 02:46 PM
I thought Arizona was the place where you went to retire. Not to the winds and cold of San Francisco.

Barry may have considered that and decided not to live in AZ.... seems that he bought his mistress (the one he threatened a few times) a house there and the Feds are wondering where the cash came from since they have no records of the IRS gettin' their share.

Imagine that...

NC Reds
05-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Jeff Kent and Barry Bonds never could stand one another in SF. I would not be surprised if he let it drop to embarass Barry.

KronoRed
05-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Opposing teams should throw him stuff he can't homer on because they have a great chance to throw him out at 1st no matter where the ball lands.

15fan
05-16-2006, 04:15 PM
Opposing teams should throw him stuff he can't homer on because they have a great chance to throw him out at 1st no matter where the ball lands.

So...what should guys like Eric Milton & Brett Tomko do? ;)

KronoRed
05-16-2006, 04:20 PM
So...what should guys like Eric Milton & Brett Tomko do? ;)
Bean him :devil:

RedFanAlways1966
05-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Bean him :devil:

I remember when Scott Sullivan threw a 70-mph looping curveball that got near that big head on the shoulders of Barry. He ended up with a 5-G suspension and a fine. Then again... that was when Bud Selig and his team let Barry do whatever he choose to do and did all they could to promote him and others like him.

REDREAD
05-17-2006, 09:55 AM

I know you're exaggerating when you say that, as there's millions of people on the planet starving, etc.

However, I don't feel sorry for him. He's still doing very well. In a couple of years, he'll be (pretty much) forgotten, and the media will leave him alone. He'll have to deal with his self inflicted injuries from steriods during his retirement, but he'll have plenty of money to enjoy the rest of his shortened lifespan. I know his family life might be a mess, but that was self inflicted as well (with his affairs).

vaticanplum
05-17-2006, 10:23 AM
I know you're exaggerating when you say that, as there's millions of people on the planet starving, etc.

However, I don't feel sorry for him. He's still doing very well. In a couple of years, he'll be (pretty much) forgotten, and the media will leave him alone. He'll have to deal with his self inflicted injuries from steriods during his retirement, but he'll have plenty of money to enjoy the rest of his shortened lifespan. I know his family life might be a mess, but that was self inflicted as well (with his affairs).

I understand your point, but I still feel sorry for him. My feeling sorry for him does not mean that I condone his actions or that I think that anyone is responsible for the mess of his life but himself. I know that he brought this on himself and I believe he should be punished. But the man is living in a weird middle-world, where the organization that is suffering for his actions refuses to take any outright action against him, and he is being tried purely on public opinion. It's impossible for him to lead any semblance of a normal life, because I'm sure he's ridiculed and harrassed every single place he goes, from restaurants to the ballfield. His kids probably go through hell at school, if they're even still in school. I doubt his marriage and friendships are in any kind of good shape, if they ever were to begin with. And one thing that could give him refuge -- his work which he used to love -- can't possibly be doing so anymore, not only because of the hatred he endures while he's playing but because he's ruined his body so much that he can't even do it anymore. The money? Big freaking deal. He can't even enjoy it -- what can he do, sit in his mansion playing expensive video games all day long when he retires? If anybody has learned, or will learn, that money can't stand in for everything else in life, it is Barry Bonds. There is no forseeable purpose in his life once he retires, and that's enough to drive a person insane and at the least make him very unhappy. I don't believe it will go away in a few years. Even if the media leaves him alone to a degree, this is exactly what he will be remembered for, more than Pete Rose and gambling (in an odd way, Pete may have been helped in public opinion by being punished so harshly by MLB; the wrath directed toward Barry is all centered in one place right now). No one will care about his brilliant early career. That's entirely his fault. It doesn't mean it's not a shame.

I read the book, and don't get me wrong, Barry Bonds is nothing short of a jerk of the highest degree, and I would say much worse about him if the board allowed. He made his own choices and he is suffering, and that's how life works and it was all unavoidable at some point. Everything that he has done can pretty much be traced back to his compulsive need to feed his ego, and I would never defend his actions. But I've got to feel bad, albeit disgusted, for somebody who stands very little chance of achieving any kind of happiness in life, even if that's due entirely to himself. Some of the scenes described in the book -- Barry signing baseballs alone in a hotel room to pay for the house of his ex-girlfriend so his ex-wife won't find out about the money (each signature, of course, devaluing the one before), Barry so pathologically and blindly driven to pass McGwire that he demands no respite from his steroid use, Barry running riot through the Giants' clubhouse and needing to be out of town when Jeff Kent's MVP award was announced -- they're mind-bogglingly pathetic. And it kind of says to me that despite a privileged upbringing, a baseball legacy, unbelievable talent, good looks, seemingly every advantage in the world, Barry Bonds just never learned that anything might be more important than his ego, and thus perhaps he never stood a chance of a happy life AT ALL. Of course that makes me sad, that makes me feel sorry for him.

Cedric
05-17-2006, 06:26 PM
You want sadness?

"It isn't just that Bonds refused to sign a ball for a cystic fibrosis charity run by former teammate Brian Fisher in honor of Fisher's young son who died from the disease. It is that Bonds snarled at the request with a "[expletive] you and [expletive] Brian Fisher."

It isn't just that Bonds refused to help with a fundraiser for the devastated families of two Pittsburgh Pirates groundskeepers who died without warning. It is that he treated the request for some memorabilia to auction with disgust and more expletives.

"The Pirates' team photographer, Pete Diana, said he wished Barry Bonds was dead," Pearlman said on Tuesday.

It isn't just the scenes of Bonds sitting in the clubhouse and purposely peeling off a pair of dirty socks and dropping them on the floor – rather than tossing them in the hamper right next to him – and then calling over a low-paid stadium worker to pick them up. It is that when the worker did pick up the socks, Bonds, a second-generation millionaire who was born and raised in extreme privilege, would then throw his underwear down and call the guy back.

The fans who believe Bonds ever would treat them any differently – drawing pleasure from watching them pick up his laundry or being hurtful in the wake of their child's death – are more naive than the ones who think he didn't juice."
Dan Wetzel. Yahoosports.com

I can't in a million years see how this guy is defended by even Giant fans. This guy isn't a jerk, he's not even human.

vaticanplum
05-17-2006, 06:30 PM
I don't know how I can make it any clearer that I am not defending his actions, and I'm well aware of all the stories told about him. It doesn't mean I'm immune to feeling sorry for someone in such a horrible state.

Cedric
05-17-2006, 06:31 PM
I don't know how I can make it any clearer that I am not defending his actions, and I'm well aware of all the stories told about him. It doesn't mean I'm immune to feeling sorry for someone in such a horrible state.

I wasn't judging you.

REDREAD
05-18-2006, 08:58 AM
I understand your point, but I still feel sorry for him. My feeling sorry for him does not mean that I condone his actions or that I think that anyone is responsible for the mess of his life but himself. ...[cut].., Barry Bonds just never learned that anything might be more important than his ego, and thus perhaps he never stood a chance of a happy life AT ALL. Of course that makes me sad, that makes me feel sorry for him.

Great post.. Yes, it is a shame that someone was given all that talent and let his ego destroy himself. He had to beat the big white men (McGwire and Ruth) and any cost.

I agree, it will be bad when Barry is sitting in his mansion with a bad legs/exhaustion/other side effects, but he brought this on himself (as you said).

It really makes one appreciate the Griffey's and Larkin's and Eric Davis of the world. These were genuine nice/virtuous guys, and as far as I know, good family men.

bigredmachine1976
05-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Flax Seed Oil?

WebScorpion
05-22-2006, 01:35 PM
I understand your point, but I still feel sorry for him.

Your empathy says more about you than it does about him. ;) I feel sorry for Barry, the human too, but I wish Barry the baseball player would figure out that he's done and go home.

NJReds
05-22-2006, 01:39 PM
There are two sides to this story.

The first is that Bonds, even before the "juice" was a jerk (to put it politely). He is easy to root against and dislike as a player.

But he is taking the brunt of the steriods criticism, when it is more than likely that many players were on some sort of illegal enhancer during the same time period -- including pitchers.

vaticanplum
05-22-2006, 01:43 PM
I feel sorry for Barry, the human too, but I wish Barry the baseball player would figure out that he's done and go home.

Oh yeah, I'll buy that. Actually that's more or less what I meant stated in significantly fewer words.

smith288
05-22-2006, 02:11 PM
There are two sides to this story.

The first is that Bonds, even before the "juice" was a jerk (to put it politely). He is easy to root against and dislike as a player.

But he is taking the brunt of the steriods criticism, when it is more than likely that many players were on some sort of illegal enhancer during the same time period -- including pitchers.
Giambi gives you the finger for pointing that huge pink elephant standing in the corner of his baseball career.

NJReds
05-22-2006, 02:12 PM
Giambi gives you the finger for pointing that huge pink elephant standing in the corner of his baseball career.

Fans have embraced Giambi for some reason. He doesn't even take that much abuse in opposing ballparks.

Heath
05-22-2006, 02:22 PM
Fans have embraced Giambi for some reason. He doesn't even take that much abuse in opposing ballparks.

Its amazing what happens when you start sucking, quit juicing, and get back to basics.

People forget quickly.

NJReds
05-22-2006, 02:27 PM
Its amazing what happens when you start sucking, quit juicing, and get back to basics.

People forget quickly.

Even when Giambi was at his worst last year, pitchers were afraid. He gets walked all the time. Now that he's hitting for power again, it seems like he walks as much as Bonds.

vaticanplum
05-22-2006, 05:07 PM
The impression that I get from Game of Shadows is that Giambi is viewed within baseball as a significantly more likeable and humble guy. I definitely think that Bonds has hurt himself even more with his (admittedly despicable) attitude.

As far as the fans go, Giambi did hold that "I'm sorry even though my lawyer says I can't say why I'm sorry" press conference. It was frustrating and he took a lot of grief for it, but it was something, and he seemed so sad in a way that people may have taken pity on him.

And then of course we also have the issue that Giambi doesn't hold the single-season HR record, is not a threat to Hank Aaron's records, and seems unlikely to be seriously considered for the HOF at this point.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-22-2006, 05:16 PM
The impression that I get from Game of Shadows is that Giambi is viewed within baseball as a significantly more likeable and humble guy. I definitely think that Bonds has hurt himself even more with his (admittedly despicable) attitude.

As far as the fans go, Giambi did hold that "I'm sorry even though my lawyer says I can't say why I'm sorry" press conference. It was frustrating and he took a lot of grief for it, but it was something, and he seemed so sad in a way that people may have taken pity on him.

And then of course we also have the issue that Giambi doesn't hold the single-season HR record, is not a threat to Hank Aaron's records, and seems unlikely to be seriously considered for the HOF at this point.

And Giambi seemed sorry for what he had done. I think he may have even cried and said something along the lines of "I'm sorry I let people down, it won't happen again".

Maybe he's just a good actor, but he seemed pretty sincere and has always come across has a pretty good guy. I don't like the Yankees or anything, but I find myself rooting for Giambi and am happy for his recent success.