PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Cool Dodger Event

redsmetz
05-16-2006, 11:36 AM
While researching a Dodgers blanket I bought to sell on eBay, I came across a cool (but pricey) evening for the Dodgers ($300 open to 300 people), a giant Sleepover at Dodger Stadium

Here's the info from the Dodgers:

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/la/images/fan_forum/sleepover_top.jpg

It's not showing the full picture, so here's the link - it includes tickets to the game, dinner, playing catch on the field, a movie on the big screen, sleeping over and breakfast. I couldn't afford it, but it sounds like a blast! I wonder if the Reds would ever consider that.

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/la/fan_forum/sleepover_form.jsp

I think the blanket I picked up must be from some other giveaway, but it looked pretty cool, so I grabbed it to sell on eBay.

Heath
05-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Only if Vin Scully can be the DJ for the dancing under the stars.

Wheelhouse
05-16-2006, 11:46 AM
Brilliant idea.

redsmetz
05-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Brilliant idea.

I think so too, although I couldn't afford it, but it would bring in about $75,000 less the food costs and overtime, but I'm guessing they net about Fifty Grand from it.

The blanket I found was a nice soft fleece, which again, I think is from another giveaway. I know on Opening Day, the blankets the credit card company was giving out went like hotcakes, but that would be another good premium night.

Roy Tucker
05-16-2006, 12:09 PM
A big If in the IIRC...

I seem to recall hearing about a sleepover like this at a MLB stadium in years past. But I'll be darned if I can remember. I think an ESPN columnist wrote about it.

No matter what, it sounds like a very cool thing. The Giants are going to do it as well. Although I think I'd bring my down-filled mummy bag for the summer Bay area.

vaticanplum
05-16-2006, 12:16 PM
I seem to recall hearing about a sleepover like this at a MLB stadium in years past. But I'll be darned if I can remember. I think an ESPN columnist wrote about it.

It was Comiskey. Night game, sleepover, day game.

Not sure when it was, but I believe it was around the same time as Disco Demolition night and all of that. definitely the Veeck years. There are still some great holdovers from his days there. Last year I went to Beatles night -- a celebration of the anniversary they performed there -- and Mullet Night, where they tributed the mullet and offered free haircuts at the park. Mullet Night, at least, is an annual event.

Johnny Footstool
05-16-2006, 12:55 PM
I think the Royals did the sleepover thing last season.

Heath
05-16-2006, 01:36 PM
I think the Royals did the sleepover thing last season.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope the crickets around the Harry S. Truman Sports Complex were not distressed.

WeathersFan
05-16-2006, 01:42 PM
The Cardinals have done this the last two seasons at the old Busch while the team was on a West Coast swing, ironically, playing the Dodgers. They would show the game on the jumbotron and let families put up tents on the outfield grass (no stakes were allowed I think). Former players would stop by for autographs and stuff. Haven't heard if they will do it again this year since they are in the new stadium, but it looked pretty cool, if you could afford the price tag. Food and drinks were included along with some souvenirs. Not sure who the marketing wiz was that thought it up but since the new owners are former Cards owners, it may be coming to Cinci soon!

redsmetz
05-16-2006, 01:58 PM
It was Comiskey. Night game, sleepover, day game.

Not sure when it was, but I believe it was around the same time as Disco Demolition night and all of that. definitely the Veeck years. There are still some great holdovers from his days there. Last year I went to Beatles night -- a celebration of the anniversary they performed there -- and Mullet Night, where they tributed the mullet and offered free haircuts at the park. Mullet Night, at least, is an annual event.

I once suggested to the Reds that they have a Beatles night whenever they have a game scheduled at home for August 20th or 21st. The Beatles had a rainout that date at Crosley and played a doubleheader the next day; in the morning in Cincinnati and then flew to St. Louis for a concert at old Busch that afternoon. I figured they could have a Beatles cover band perform, give away albums, do it in conjunction with WGRR or the Fox.

http://www.gbphoto.com/photos/004.jpg

The photo is from a great website for a photographer who took pictures that day and is still making money from them. In the Beatles Anthology series, they showed clips from Channel 9 of the concert and you could see the old Albers sign etc. My dad was in the hospital then and we were going down to Good Sam to see him and we begged our mom to drive by Crosley so we could see them playing. Of course, she wouldn't, so when they showed those clips on the Anthology, I called her up and said, "Hey, I finally got to see the Beatles at Crosley Field, no thanks to you!". She laughed.

http://www.gbphoto.com/beatles/beatles.php

Heath
05-16-2006, 02:08 PM
Nice pinstripe suits by the Beatles. They knew it was a "home" game ;)

redsmetz
05-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Nice pinstripe suits by the Beatles. They knew it was a "home" game ;)

:rockband: Yeah, yeah, yeah! :laugh:

Johnny Footstool
05-16-2006, 03:45 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope the crickets around the Harry S. Truman Sports Complex were not distressed.

The crickets were fine, and the Royals signed a few of the campers to minor-league deals.

Heath
05-16-2006, 04:18 PM
The crickets were fine, and the Royals signed a few of the campers to minor-league deals.

That explains all these boxes in the trashcans after the game.

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/168641_front200.jpg