PDA

View Full Version : Time for Krivsky to go after Willis

Jr's Boy
05-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Kearns,Freel,a minor leaguer,and cash.Maybe the fish will bite.The Reds want to put butts in the seats,this will do it.Willis and Arroyo,bring on the Cards and Stro's.

redsfan30
05-16-2006, 03:52 PM
With a 6.22 ERA and having given up 57 hits in 46.1 innings, would he really be that much of an improvement?

I know his track record speaks for itself, but something is wrong with him this year.

He's only given up one homerun though which is definetly a plus.

Jr's Boy
05-16-2006, 03:54 PM
With a 6.22 ERA and having given up 57 hits in 46.1 innings, would he really be that much of an improvement?

I know his track record speaks for itself, but something is wrong with him this year.

Sorry if i'm flogging a dead horse on the Willis idea.I know it's been disussed before on RZ.Just trying to stir up some more discussion and different idea's.

Shaggy Sanchez
05-16-2006, 03:58 PM
At this point I don't think I would trade Kearns for Willis.

Buckeye33
05-16-2006, 03:59 PM
If you're going to go after a Fish, go after Cabrera.

I do not think you should go after either one personally.

Jr's Boy
05-16-2006, 04:01 PM
If you're going to go after a Fish, go after Cabrera.

I do not think you should go after either one personally.

I'd stick with Ed E. at third.Alot cheaper.

RedsManRick
05-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Word is that his mechanics are a complete mess. They were already very complicated but he made them work for him. Right now he can't seem to sort them out. He still has good "stuff", but his control is very off. He finds success when he locates his fastball which allows him to throw his slider. His slider has great movement but not a lot of control, so he needs to be ahead in the count to use it.

When he falls behind, he has to rely on an only pretty good fastball/changeup combo. Hitters are just sitting dead red on his fastball, which negates his deceptive delivery. Until he figures his mechanics out and gets back to a consistent release point, he's gonna keep getting reamed.

Jr's Boy
05-16-2006, 04:03 PM
I just hope Krivsky will bring in a bonafide starter and not a ''could be if he does this does that'' etc.But somebody's got to go to get a legit arm.And I ain't talkin just sending all prospects either.

KronoRed
05-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Now would be the time to buy on the cheap.

roby
05-16-2006, 04:19 PM
I have always been a big Dunn supporter...thinking that his inability to hit with runners in scoring position had more to do with youth and inexperience than anything else. But, the more I watch him, and the more he continues to fail (and fail BIG TIME), I am beginning to think that he might just be the right one to trade for a top of the line pitcher. This will have to be accomplished before the rest of the league catches on to his inability/refusal to concentrate and kick things up a notch with runners in scoring position. I know that he is loved by everybody...but so was Casey, and we all got tired of his act after he had lost his trade value. I don't really want to think this way...but Dunn is leaving me no choice. :confused:

KronoRed
05-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Dunn won't bring a top pitcher anymore, he's making too much now, also the fish wouldn't want him for Willis.

reds44
05-16-2006, 04:23 PM
At this point I don't think I would trade Kearns for Willis.
I would in a heartbeat.

dsmith421
05-16-2006, 04:23 PM

Exactly--this is a wonderful chance to get a high-ceiling commodity for under market value.

If you don't have unlimited money to throw around, this is how you build a winning baseball team.

edabbs44
05-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Agreed, if possible. Last year Willis had a rough stretch like this and bounced back nicely.

Johnny Footstool
05-16-2006, 04:30 PM
I have always been a big Dunn supporter...thinking that his inability to hit with runners in scoring position had more to do with youth and inexperience than anything else. But, the more I watch him, and the more he continues to fail (and fail BIG TIME), I am beginning to think that he might just be the right one to trade for a top of the line pitcher. This will have to be accomplished before the rest of the league catches on to his inability/refusal to concentrate and kick things up a notch with runners in scoring position. I know that he is loved by everybody...but so was Casey, and we all got tired of his act after he had lost his trade value. I don't really want to think this way...but Dunn is leaving me no choice. :confused:

He continues to fail?

Or are you just ignoring all the ways in which he succeeds?

He produces a lot of offense. Tons of it. All you have to do is learn to look beyond Batting Average.

Granted, he's had a bad month of May. But I find it funny that many people jump all over him when he has a bad month and forget that he was downright awesome the previous month.

registerthis
05-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Kearns for Willis?

Where do I sign?

RichRed
05-16-2006, 04:59 PM
I thought, "Surely this thread will be safe from Dunn-bashing."

Silly me.

Spitball
05-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Exactly--this is a wonderful chance to get a high-ceiling commodity for under market value.

If you don't have unlimited money to throw around, this is how you build a winning baseball team.

I totally agree. Perhaps he just needs a change and fresh coaching. He may be trying to do too much with all the triple and double A players the Marlins are parading out there.

Also, even if he is struggling now, his potential to improve is far greater than Milton's, Williams', or Claussen's. Plus, the guy's potential to generate revenue via his charisma and enthusiasm would bode well for the Reds' economic situation.

I'd think any trade for Willis would have to include Claussen. They are not going to surrender a pitcher without getting some in return.

Cant Touch This
05-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Kearns for Willis?

Where do I sign?

I'm not as quick to pull this trigger. Kearns is by far the best defender in the Reds offensive-minded outfield. Take him away and who do you put in right? Deno? I know a lot of Zoners are high on him and to be honest I don't have enough exposure to him as a hitter or fielder to assign judgment. Maybe he is the answer, but right now I feel a lot more confident with Kearns at the plate and in RF.

Cigar2
05-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Of course. I'm for anything that improve this teams starting pitching by that the 'pin.

reds44
05-16-2006, 05:22 PM
I'm not as quick to pull this trigger. Kearns is by far the best defender in the Reds offensive-minded outfield. Take him away and who do you put in right? Deno? I know a lot of Zoners are high on him and to be honest I don't have enough exposure to him as a hitter or fielder to assign judgment. Maybe he is the answer, but right now I feel a lot more confident with Kearns at the plate and in RF.
Kearns you can replace at the trading deadline or next offseason, however getting a guy like the D-Train is not as easy.

reds44
05-16-2006, 05:23 PM

Yes it would. You know his ERA goes down, he just isn't suddenly going to stink.

RedsManRick
05-16-2006, 05:30 PM
For what it's worth, Dontrelle posted a good but not great 1.40 GB/FB ratio last year, but allowed just 11 HR. I suppose he has Dolphin Stadium, RFK, and Shea to thank for that...

Cant Touch This
05-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Kearns you can replace at the trading deadline or next offseason, however getting a guy like the D-Train is not as easy.

I concur that it's much more difficult to find and acquire a gem like Willis than it is to replace Kearns. I also realize you have to sacrifice talent to gain it. I just think Kearns is the most all-around gifted player on the current roster and would like to see the Reds build around him rather than use him as a medium of exchange. It would depress me to see AK in another uni, but unfortunately that is the reality of today's game.

vaticanplum
05-16-2006, 05:43 PM
I second, third, fourth everybody else; I would trade just about anybody on this team for Willis except for Dunn, Harang, Arroyo, and any of the little kiddies that we have cheaply for a very long time. (I don't know how much longer Encarnacion is under our control...but I'd definitely trade FeLo in a package deal).

PuffyPig
05-16-2006, 05:56 PM
Willis has a Dips ERA of 3.58, 8th in the NL. His BIPA is .339.

What this means is that Willis has been incredibly unlucky this year, and has pitched much better than his ERA actually shows.

It's the exact time to go after him.

reds44
05-16-2006, 05:56 PM
I second, third, fourth everybody else; I would trade just about anybody on this team for Willis except for Dunn, Harang, Arroyo, and any of the little kiddies that we have cheaply for a very long time. (I don't know how much longer Encarnacion is under our control...but I'd definitely trade FeLo in a package deal).
Even the ultimate Felipe homer (myself) would trade him for the D-Train.

pedro
05-16-2006, 05:59 PM
I'm wary of Willis. I just don't believe his success is sustainable with his body type and delivery.

joebagnell
05-16-2006, 06:02 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Willis contract expires after this year, so If we trade anything at all for him, which im generally opposed to for this reason, we need to consider the fact that a) we probably wouldn't be able to afford him next year, and b) he would probably rather be playing in NY.
I cant imagine a dontrelle trade being at all useful to us unless we were really trying to make a run for it this year. I would love that, but not enough to bet the farm, pardon the pun.

reds44
05-16-2006, 06:03 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Willis contract expires after this year, so If we trade anything at all for him, which im generally opposed to for this reason, we need to consider the fact that a) we probably wouldn't be able to afford him next year, and b) he would probably rather be playing in NY.
I cant imagine a dontrelle trade being at all useful to us unless we were really trying to make a run for it this year. I would love that, but not enough to bet the farm, pardon the pun.
Ovbiously we would sign him (or we would get the idea that we could sign him) before we traded for him.

He wouldn't be a rent-a-player. And how do you know he would rather play in New York then Cincy? He has never had a problem playing in Florida.

saboforthird
05-16-2006, 06:06 PM
Dunn won't bring a top pitcher anymore, he's making too much now, also the fish wouldn't want him for Willis.

What's Dunn's OPS, SLG% and # of HR's AWAY from GABP?

Aronchis
05-16-2006, 06:06 PM
Dontrelle needs put his elbow under the scope. I have not seen a decrease in velocity, but one of command. His last start was no bad luck, he was outright shelled that made Brandon Claussen and Dave Williams smile knowing they had lefty company lol!!

Jr's Boy
05-16-2006, 06:10 PM

Dunn for Buchholz and Lidge,and a prospect from Houston.

saboforthird
05-16-2006, 06:10 PM
I concur that it's much more difficult to find and acquire a gem like Willis than it is to replace Kearns. I also realize you have to sacrifice talent to gain it. I just think Kearns is the most all-around gifted player on the current roster and would like to see the Reds build around him rather than use him as a medium of exchange. It would depress me to see AK in another uni, but unfortunately that is the reality of today's game.

I think it's more of a reality for small-market teams than anything else. Big-market teams don't seem to have a problem building around their nucleus.

membengal
05-16-2006, 06:13 PM
I thought, "Surely this thread will be safe from Dunn-bashing."

Silly me.

Apparently that thread does not exist. It is our white whale, and we are collective Ahab's in search of the great beast.

reds44
05-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Marlins need a CFer, Deno would probably have to be part of any deal.

joebagnell
05-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Ovbiously we would sign him (or we would get the idea that we could sign him) before we traded for him.

He wouldn't be a rent-a-player. And how do you know he would rather play in New York then Cincy? He has never had a problem playing in Florida.
I understand we would intend on resigning him, i just don't know if it would be affordable for us, with a few big market teams playing competitively ( most of the AL east, mets, chisox etc.) I could see willis getting a long term 15+/per deal. Considering the fact that willis looks like his arm could fall off at any second, there are only a handful of teams that would potentially put up/risk 150 million, and I hope for our sake were not one of them.

He's is one of the most exciting pitchers in the game, and I would love him in red, but look how much Wilson always being hurt kills us salary wise and double it... it could be scary.

As to the NY thing, I may be dead wrong on that, but to a young pitcher like that, the endorsements, fan base, merchandise royalties, and, lets face it, chance of winning multiple championships, would grow exponentially in a major market.

I think our best bet, and what has seemed to work best to financially similar teams, is to not try to win by buying the best players.

I hope that makes sense, its just my opinion.

Jr's Boy
05-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Marlins need a CFer, Deno would probably have to be part of any deal.
What i had posted earlier,deno,kearns,prospect and cash.Though that may be too much for dtrain.

KronoRed
05-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Apparently that thread does not exist. It is our white whale, and we are collective Ahab's in search of the great beast.
Arr matey.

pedro
05-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by KronoRed

Dunn surely could bring a top pitcher, just not one who is cheap. You are correct that the Marlins will want cheap young players for Willis if they trade him.

flyer85
05-16-2006, 06:36 PM
go after Cabrera.he has as many errors as EE :devil:

kyle1976
05-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Anyone change their opinion of Willis after yesterday's outing against the Braves? 9 innings, 2 ER (both homers). He didn't get the win, the game went to extras. Is he back?