PDA

View Full Version : What's for Dinner?

Yachtzee
05-16-2006, 04:00 PM
So, what are you making for dinner? I thought I would share one of my favorite recipes, that I plan on making tonight...Chicken Paprikas. It's really good. You should try it. It's actually fairly easy to make.

2 lbs chicken. I usually go with 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts or 1 lb chicken breast and 1 lb of deboned chicken thigh meat. Cut into Cubes.
1 big yellow onion, diced
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced.
3 tablespoons of fat (butter, olive oil, or whatever)
about 1 to 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (enough to almost cover the chicken).
3-4 heaping tbsp. of Hungarian Paprika. You can use sweet or hot, or mix the two according to taste. I like to do 50/50, but I usually just use sweet paprika because my wife and her family don't do hot.
1 tsp. kosher salt, + 1/2 tsp. (doesn't have to be, but I prefer kosher salt after watching too many episodes of "Good Eats")
1/2 to 1 cup sour cream (to taste)
Spaetzle - German dumpling-like noodles. You can make them yourself. There are plenty of recipes online, but I usually go to the grocery store, where they have them ready made. A poor substitute is to get the box o' dried spaetzle from the pasta section or just use egg noodles.

Hardware:
1 big saute pan, cast iron skillet or whatever you have, plus a lid or something to cover it with.
A wooden spoon or something to stir with.

Put the cubed chicken into a big bowl, toss in 2-3 heaping tablespoons of paprika and 1 tsp. salt. Mix it up good and let it sit on the side while you work on the rest (you could even prep it the night before for a dry-rub effect).

Heat up the butter or oil in your big saute pan, or your cast iron "goulaschkanone" if you have one. Toss in the onion and cook it until it gets translucent. Then throw in the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Then toss in 2-3 tblspoons of paprika (whatever you didn't use on the chicken) and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Keep stirring. The heat brings out the flavor of the paprika, but if you let it sit too long, it will burn. Add the chicken cubes and brown them for about 4 minutes. Add enough stock to just about cover the chicken and bring it all to a boil. Cover it, knock down the heat to low, and let it simmer for about 25 minutes. If you're loosing too much liquid because your lid doesn't fit tight, add more stock if needed.

While your paprikas is simmering, bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add the spaetzle to the boiling water. If it's fresh made, it will only take a minute or two to cook. If it's from a box, follow the box instructions. When the spaetzle are done, drain and set aside.

When the paprikas has finished simmering, add the sour cream. If you want a thicker sauce, mix together a few tbsp. of flour with an equal number of tbspn. water and stir it into the paprikas. Let it sit for a few minutes.

Now, just make a bed of spaetzle on your plate. Ladle or spoon the chicken paprikas onto the spaetzle. If you like, you can add a dollop of sour cream to the top. Enjoy.

Some crusty bread is nice to have around to sop up the leftover sauce off your plate.

Note: Some recipes online call for tomatoes. Authentic Paprikas (and goulasch for that matter) does not have tomatoes in it. You can try some canned or stewed tomatoes in if you like. I actually came up with this recipe by taking one from Emeril, removing the inauthentic ingredients and adjusting the others until I got something to my liking.

Roy Tucker
05-16-2006, 04:22 PM
Dad is cooking one of the old standby's tonight.... tuna noodle casserole.

Cook a bag of pasta, throw a few handfulls of frozen peas in for the last couple minutes, and drain.

Mix in a couple cans of tuna and a can of mushroom soup. Add milk and stir till it looks right.

Bake some blueberry muffins from a mix, cut up some fresh fruit, pour some milk for everyone, and holler out "dinner!".

IowaRed
05-16-2006, 04:27 PM
I have a 3 and a 4 year old so they are always more than happy with macaroni and cheese and PBJ. Obviously we make other things but it's always nice for dad to have something easy to fall back on

westofyou
05-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Stir Fry

Ginger/shallots/garlic/ broccoli/Tofu wok fried in peanut oil (there is no other when cooking asian)

Sauce _ Garlic Chili/sugar/soy/rice vinager/garlic/squirt of pad thai sauce

Brown Basmaiti Rice

Garnish with peanuts and green onion.

rdiersin
05-16-2006, 04:33 PM
Probably just Wendy's tonight, got stuff to do, but last night was a bit interesting. I had stuff to make "stroganoff" in the Crock pot but realized the cream of mushroom soup was actually tomato soup. So instead I ended up with a decent chilli.
1-1/2lb Stew Meat
Ancho Chili Powder
Cayenne Pepper
Cumin
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Minced Onion
2 14.5 oz cans of Muir Glenn Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
2 Bay leaves
and whatever else you want.

Put it in the crock pot, on low for 8hrs.

gonelong
05-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Brown 1 lb of sausage
cut up onions, peppers, etc

Take 2 muffin pans, spray them
* Put in 1 tablespoon of suasage
* add onions, peppers, etc
* Add a bit of shredded cheese (soy cheese works well too)
* pour whipped egg/egg substitute over top

Cook for 40 mins at 350

Let cool - store in freezer bag in the fridge - warm in microwave

Eat 2 for breakfast each morning - almost 2 weeks of breakfast

- helped drop my cholesterol a bundle and gives me an easy breakfast each morning.

GL

max venable
05-16-2006, 05:06 PM
http://www.beefup.org/Summer%20Grilling/grilling_101_files/image002.jpg

Sweetstop
05-16-2006, 05:34 PM
Shrimp Salad (w/ avocado, celery, tomato and red onion...olive oil and lemon)
Leftover asparagus wrapped in ham and browned under the broiler w/ Havarti cheese
Roasted mini-Yukon Gold potatoes w/ fresh rosemary and touch of butter and freshly gr. pepper
Crusty rosemary bread
Fruit salad of fresh mango, pineapple, banana and red grapes
Mint iced tea
1 pc. ea. Dove dark chocolate

I'm getting ready to start w/ a gin & tonic

pedro
05-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Grilled Salmon and a spinach salad

TeamCasey
05-16-2006, 05:46 PM
TeamMorris' specialty charcoal chicken. PM her and ask for the recipe. Tell her TC sent you. :devil:

vaticanplum
05-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Shrimp Salad (w/ avocado, celery, tomato and red onion...olive oil and lemon)
Leftover asparagus wrapped in ham and browned under the broiler w/ Havarti cheese
Roasted mini-Yukon Gold potatoes w/ fresh rosemary and touch of butter and freshly gr. pepper
Crusty rosemary bread
Fruit salad of fresh mango, pineapple, banana and red grapes
Mint iced tea
1 pc. ea. Dove dark chocolate

I'm getting ready to start w/ a gin & tonic

That is more effort than I put into dinner in a year. I am thoroughly impressed. I like reading this thread though; gives me ideas for meals I will pretend I am going to make.

Tonight I am having sushi because we are celebrating my acquisition of a new collectible Javier Vazquez mini-baseball (seriously. He is coming to dinner with us and sitting on the table. The baseball I mean, not Javier himself.)

pedro
05-16-2006, 05:48 PM
TeamMorris' specialty charcoal chicken. PM her and ask for the recipe. Tell her TC sent you. :devil:

there's a thai place up the street that has a dish called charcoal chicken. it's basically deconstructed salad rolls with grilled chicken. you put them together yourself. it's yummy.

Johnny Footstool
05-16-2006, 05:52 PM
Anyone have a good recipe for beef lo mein? I've tried a few, but I can't get the sauce right.

westofyou
05-16-2006, 05:53 PM
That is more effort than I put into dinner in a year. I am thoroughly impressed. I like reading this thread though; gives me ideas for meals I will pretend I am going to make.

Tonight I am having sushi because we are celebrating my acquisition of a new collectible Javier Vazquez mini-baseball (seriously. He is coming to dinner with us and sitting on the table. The baseball I mean, not Javier himself.)
Have you ever been to Pennys Noodles Shop? A fave of mine in Chicago.

pedro
05-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Anyone have a good recipe for beef lo mein? I've tried a few, but I can't get the sauce right.

not specifically, but I have found that with making asian sauces that a teaspoon of sugar helps and that it is really easy to use too little oil and too much soy sauce. often they use a little wine or vinegar in there for acidity too.

Yachtzee
05-16-2006, 05:59 PM

Where are you going for the sushi? My wife and I used to hit a number of sushi places on the North Side. She will be jealous.

Sweetstop
05-16-2006, 06:03 PM

My daughter and son-in-law used to live around the corner from one in Wicker Park. Yum.

vaticanplum
05-16-2006, 06:09 PM

No but I will write it down! I like noodly food. Everyone raves about the Thai food in Chicago, but so far I have actually been kind of underwhelmed with it (and I'm not really a harsh critic).

Tonight I think we are going here:
http://chicago.citysearch.com/profile/41451836/chicago_il/kaze_sushi.html

I never pick restaurants though, I am not a foodie. If I have food I like, I will eat it, enjoy it, and forget about it in five minutes (although I do like sushi a lot and am open to suggestions). So Yahtzee, your wife is welcome to take my place, but I get to keep the Javier baseball.

deltachi8
05-16-2006, 06:49 PM
Stir Fry

Ginger/shallots/garlic/ broccoli/Tofu wok fried in peanut oil (there is no other when cooking asian)

Sauce _ Garlic Chili/sugar/soy/rice vinager/garlic/squirt of pad thai sauce

Brown Basmaiti Rice

Garnish with peanuts and green onion.

not a tofu fan but that sounds excellent, WOY. Could come up with a substitute I am sure.

pedro
05-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Fried Tofu is yummy.

Chicken or Shrimp works well in there too.

Yachtzee
05-16-2006, 07:08 PM
No but I will write it down! I like noodly food. Everyone raves about the Thai food in Chicago, but so far I have actually been kind of underwhelmed with it (and I'm not really a harsh critic).

Tonight I think we are going here:
http://chicago.citysearch.com/profile/41451836/chicago_il/kaze_sushi.html

I never pick restaurants though, I am not a foodie. If I have food I like, I will eat it, enjoy it, and forget about it in five minutes (although I do like sushi a lot and am open to suggestions). So Yahtzee, your wife is welcome to take my place, but I get to keep the Javier baseball.

Her apartment used to be across the alley from the Bangkok Restaurant on N. Halsted, which I believe is closed now. It's a shame because that was the best Thai food I've ever had.

Is Kaze Sushi fairly new? I've never heard of it. My wife's favorite was Nohana on N. Broadway, just a bit south of Chili Mac's (the Chicago home of Cincinnati-style chili).

TeamMorris
05-16-2006, 07:10 PM

:mooner: :mooner: :mooner:

TeamCasey
05-16-2006, 07:47 PM
:mooner: :mooner: :mooner:

:laugh: Seriously, I did finish the piece I had this evening. It was yummy.

SunDeck
05-16-2006, 09:06 PM
I made a spinach and feta pizza. Make my own dough and sauce.
Dough:
4C flour (unbleached, white- 17g protein per servint...that's important.)
1 1/3 C H20
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt (maybe more, I measure by hand)
2TBS Olive Oil
1 packet yeast.

heat h2o to lukewarm, add sugar, add yeast, let sit finve minutes.
Add h2o to flour and salt
Add olive oil
Mix, knead for five minutes
Let dough sit 2-4 hours.

Sauce:
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (San Marzano if you can find 'em), drained.
olive oil (i just pour it in...maybe 1/2 C)
red wine vinegar (guess...maybe 1tsp)
salt (maybe a teaspoon)
sugar (about the same)
oregano - 1/2 tsp.
basil - 1tsp.
mix, let sit 2-4 hours

Alternate sauce- just the tomatoes. Works fine- that's what the Neopolitans do.

guttle11
05-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Homemade Donato's.

KronoRed
05-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Homemade Donato's.
You live at a donato's? :D

SandyD
05-16-2006, 10:28 PM
frozen meatball sandwich on wheat bread, with a little mozzerella cheese on paper plates.

No kitchen at the moment. :D

vaticanplum
05-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Her apartment used to be across the alley from the Bangkok Restaurant on N. Halsted, which I believe is closed now. It's a shame because that was the best Thai food I've ever had.

Is Kaze Sushi fairly new? I've never heard of it. My wife's favorite was Nohana on N. Broadway, just a bit south of Chili Mac's (the Chicago home of Cincinnati-style chili).

That's right near me, but I've never been there! i will check it out.

Yeah, Kaze is pretty new, I think...was kind of trendy pants (hi, Roscoe Village) but the food was very good.

westofyou
05-17-2006, 10:51 AM
(hi, Roscoe Village)

Now that area is trendy? My buddy lived there in the late 90's, I used to walk up the street to Wrigley from his house.

vaticanplum
05-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Now that area is trendy? My buddy lived there in the late 90's, I used to walk up the street to Wrigley from his house.

Yes, it is Young Professional Land. Lots of condos.

It's hard to find your good old-fashioned thuggery anywhere on the North Side these days, at least south of Rogers Park.

deltachi8
05-17-2006, 11:17 AM
Veggie-Beer Chilli

1 small-medium yellow squash, diced
1/2 green pepper, finely diced
2 cups (roughly) diced mushrooms
1/3 cup (roghly) finely diced carrots
1-2 hot pepepers (you choose the heat level) finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small red onion finely diced.
2 tbs olive oil
1 can black or red beans
1 can diced tomatoes undrained
1 can/bottle beer
2 tbs Chili Powder
1 tbs ground cumin
2 tsp cayene powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tbs honey

Heat olive oil in pot, add garlic, onion and hot peppers and cook 1-2 minutes. Add remain ingredients, stir and cook 1-2 hours...add water is needed.

Serve with jalepeno cornbread and a cold beer.

pedro
05-17-2006, 11:21 AM
jalepeno cornbread

:luvu:

Yachtzee
05-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Yes, it is Young Professional Land. Lots of condos.

It's hard to find your good old-fashioned thuggery anywhere on the North Side these days, at least south of Rogers Park.

Have they gentrified Uptown yet? That used to be a thuglife neighborhood, but you could see the "Yuppification" process starting to take root when we left. Of course my favorite neighborhood was always Lincoln Square. Chicago Brauhaus is a good place to go for some good German food (well, at least since they closed Zum Deutschen Eck).

Dinner Tonight - Leftover Paprikas. Friday I might to homemade fried chicken and biscuits.

pedro
05-17-2006, 01:13 PM
I just made a breakfast.

It was a breaskfast sandwich on sourdough toast with cream cheese, salmon, a fried egg and some yummy habanero hot sauce.

WebScorpion
05-17-2006, 02:27 PM
Here's my version of stir fry:
Tell the wife we would really LO-O-OVE Stir Fry tonight. Grab the kids and clear out until the Wife says, DIN-NERRR!!

Deee- licioso!

But here's what's for dinner tonight:

I put 4 pork chops into a mango salsa (from a bottle) yesterday.
I'll make a pot of Jasmine Rice (sometimes I mix 50/50 Jasmine and Brown rices)
Open a beer and pour into iced mug.
While the rice is cooking I'll put the chops on the grill.
Drink some beer.
After 6 minutes or so, I'll flip the chops.
Drink some beer.
Cut up some broccoli and put it in the steamer.
Drink some beer.
Ask the kids to set the table.
Drink some beer.
Take the chops off the grill and put them on a plate.
Drink some beer.
Put the rice in a bowl.
Drink some beer.
Put the broccoli in another bowl.
Drink some beer.
Burp! Call everyone to the table. (usually they come when the grilled mango pork smell reaches them)
Say grace.
Dig in!

:thumbup:

vaticanplum
05-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Have they gentrified Uptown yet?

Yeah, very much so. More than Roscoe Village, even.

TeamMorris
05-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Mexican pizza

1 pizza dough (anyway you want to make it or buy it)
1 can of refried beans
½ pound hamburger browned and drained
tomato diced
onion diced
small can of sliced black olives
Jalapenos and or chili peppers
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Taco sauce
Sour Cream

Preheat oven and prepare dough to package directions.

Bake pizza crust for about 5 to 7 minutes before assembly. Keep an eye on crust while baking because it may bubble. Press bubbles down with spatula. Let crust cool for about 10 minutes.

Spread can of refried beans on crust (as little or much as you want) as you would traditional pizza sauce and drizzle with taco sauce to liking.

Top with hamburger, diced tomato, diced onion, black olives and peppers. The amount of each topping is up to you. You can add additional ingredients and take away. Top off with cheddar cheese.

Bake to pizza dough package instructions or until cheese is melted.

Let cool for about 5 minutes and serve with additional taco sauce and sour cream on the side.

Yummy:)

Roy Tucker
05-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Mexican pizza

From the Thai lasagna, German egg roll, and Japanese enchilada school of mixed ethnicity cooking....

Good stuff TM :thumbup:

Sweetstop
05-17-2006, 06:11 PM
running late today...

Turkeyburgers on toasted rosemary olive oil bread
Spring greens w/ blue cheese and poppy seed dressing
Cold cantaloupe slices
Italian Lemon Soda

Cup Green Tea
Truffle from Vosges (Chicago choclatier)...daughter sent me a box for Mother's Day

TeamMorris
05-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Thanks Roy:) It's one of my favorite things to make!!

I was working at Pizza Hut in the late 80's when they were selling them. Of course the good stuff never sticks around. After it was gone I went into withdraw and have been making my version every sense.

I haven't made it in a while but I was on a alfredo pizza kick for a while that is real good also!! Just use alfredo sauce in place of pizza sauce and top with what you like. My favorite is fresh mushrooms (sauté for a bit to get rid of some of the juice) mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Spinach & mushroom is pretty good on it also.

SunDeck
05-17-2006, 09:54 PM
My dinner tonight was a pint of Newcastle. Can you tell my wife and the kids are away, or what?

Unassisted
05-17-2006, 10:28 PM
I threw together an entree/casserole tonight in the rice cooker from things I had on hand. It was well-liked by everyone at Chez Unassisted, so I'll share the "secret" recipe.

1 lb. of fresh purple hull peas (Grown in the next county) (about 3 cups)
6 oz. rice
5 links of heat and serve Italian chicken sausage cut into bite size pieces
3-1/2 cups of tomato bouillon water

I put all of this into the rice cooker, pressed the cook button, and the rice cooker told me it was done about 35 minutes. :thumbup:

LawFive
05-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Boneless skinless chicken, baked and shredded, tossed with plenty of Montgomery Inn sauce and served on a hoagie roll. Simple and mighty tasty, too.

Sweetstop
05-18-2006, 04:46 PM
a glass of Shiraz, Swiss steak, garlic mashed potatoes, steamed carrots, spring mix salad w/ raspberry-walnut vinaigrette, small fruit plate (fresh pineapple, mango, banana slices), water and Breyer's double-churned chocolate-caramel-brownie ice cream

vaticanplum
05-18-2006, 05:25 PM
a glass of Shiraz, Swiss steak, garlic mashed potatoes, steamed carrots, spring mix salad w/ raspberry-walnut vinaigrette, small fruit plate (fresh pineapple, mango, banana slices), water and Breyer's double-churned chocolate-caramel-brownie ice cream

Good god, you've got to be making all this up.

You should have a TV show.

Sweetstop
05-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Good god, you've got to be making all this up.

You should have a TV show.

:laugh: :laugh: All true. Currently on a cooking jag. Believe me it's not like this every night.:)

SunDeck
05-18-2006, 06:06 PM
Bowl of Total tonight. I'm on a role.

remdog
05-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Wow! A very eclectic group of 'foodies'. Some interesting menus and some interesting recipes. I see a couple I might try. A fun and interesting thread. I hope it carries on for awhile, it would be interesting to see what folks eat over a weeks'/months' time.

Just got home from a tennis match so for me tonight it's simply a grilled swordfish steak in a light mustard sause and some grilled asparagus with shaved parmesan cheese and a little lemon juice. Add a glass of Pino Griego and it's quick, simple and oh so good. The left over swordfish will make a nice lunch tomorrow as a salad.

Rem

RFS62
05-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Oh how I love swordfish. A good market where you can get a good cut is a wonderful thing. I usually just marinate in olive oil and soy sauce and then grill it.

I had grouper tonight, with a corn and fresh parmesan grits
side dish. Nope, I didn't cook it, went to a little Mediterranian resturant down the block from where I'm staying. I'm not a grits fan, but these were very different and the grouper was very nice.

remdog
05-18-2006, 11:06 PM
Hey 62, if ya' ever get back to the Newport Beach area I'll take ya' to a restaurant on the turning basin in N.B. where the sport fleet lands. When the swordfish and tuna are running the sport fleet usually comes in about noon. The Bluewater Grill buys the pick of the fleet around noon and it's on the 5:00 PM menu. Doesn't get any fresher than that unless ya' catch it yourself. :)

Rem

pedro
05-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Oh how I love swordfish. A good market where you can get a good cut is a wonderful thing. I usually just marinate in olive oil and soy sauce and then grill it.

I had grouper tonight, with a corn and fresh parmesan grits
side dish. Nope, I didn't cook it, went to a little Mediterranian resturant down the block from where I'm staying. I'm not a grits fan, but these were very different and the grouper was very nice.

I love grouper.

I just went to the butcher shop and got some stuff to keep in the freezer as grilling season is upon us and I was pleased to see that they have a seafood case now too. I got a really nice piece of wild Alaskan Salmon that I plan to grill this evening.

It's amazing the price difference in meats between a good buthcer shop and the supermarket. Everything at the butcher shop was about 2 dollars less a pound.

Johnny Footstool
05-19-2006, 03:11 PM
My dinner tonight was a pint of Newcastle. Can you tell my wife and the kids are away, or what?

Just a pint? What are you, on a diet or something?

SunDeck
05-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Just a pint? What are you, on a diet or something?

You know what? Since my kids were born I just can't drink like I used to. That should be good news, right?

Yachtzee
05-23-2006, 08:43 PM
Tonight I had Wendy's, but last night I made a good home-cooked meal. Pan-Fried Chicken, Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits and Garlic Mashed Potatoes.

guttle11
05-23-2006, 08:49 PM
Some cheese filled pretzel bites, Sun-Chips, and some Sunny D. Ahh, the joy of living on your own...

pedro
05-23-2006, 08:53 PM
On sunday night I made a steak and spinach salad with sweet onion, cherry tomatoes, and blue cheese.

tonight I'm having beer and corn chips.

SandyD
05-23-2006, 09:57 PM
meatloaf sandwich

Still no kitchen.

remdog
05-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Yesterday was baked calamari rings in an anchovie, garlic and butter sauce served over spagehetti with a lemon juice drizzeld over it. Add a green salad with some white wine and....fine`.

Tonight, a good-old fashioned cheeseburger---1/3 of a pounder on a sourdough role with monterey jack cheese, lettuce, tomato and garlic mayo. Add baked 'french fries' and some corn on the cob along with some grilled veggies (red onion, red and yellow bell pepper, and teriaki marinated mushrooms) and I'm ready to settle back and enjoy the highlights of tonights Reds victory on BBTN! :)

Rem

remdog
05-23-2006, 10:11 PM
meatloaf sandwich

Still no kitchen.

Got a grill? I know it's been tough for you and I can only imagine what you are going through but we are into the season when you can do some great meals on a grill. And, it doesn't have to be a fancy grill, just a normal charcoal grill can be great.

What's your situation on that? Is that an option for you?

Rem

SandyD
05-23-2006, 10:57 PM
What I'm going through is nothing compared to what most people I know are.

As for grilling, I don't have a small grill. Might need to get one. Right now, all the stuff that was once in the kitchen is now on the patio ... and lots of other places. The large grill is serving as a place to put things.

Thanks for the thought. :D

Yachtzee
05-23-2006, 11:31 PM
What I'm going through is nothing compared to what most people I know are.

As for grilling, I don't have a small grill. Might need to get one. Right now, all the stuff that was once in the kitchen is now on the patio ... and lots of other places. The large grill is serving as a place to put things.

Thanks for the thought. :D

They're quite affordable. I remember when I was stuck in Kansas City living in corporate housing on a consulting job for a summer, away from my fiancee and my family for 5 months. The purchase of a $16 tailgate grill really saved my summer and gave me at least a little feeling of "home." Granted, a consulting assignment in KC is nothing compared to what you have had to deal with. But it might help. :)

SandyD
05-23-2006, 11:36 PM
Yeah ... I'll definetly have to get one later this summer.

pedro
05-23-2006, 11:42 PM
I'm breaking down and making a grilled cheese w/ tomato & bacon on it.

SandyD
05-23-2006, 11:44 PM
That sounds good, actually. Well, maybe not the tomato. I can't take much tomato for some reason.

pedro
05-24-2006, 12:16 AM
That sounds good, actually. Well, maybe not the tomato. I can't take much tomato for some reason.

cherry tomatoes. they have a really sweet flavor and are more consistent than big ones when it's not summer.

Roy Tucker
05-24-2006, 07:18 AM
Last night was a grill dinner. Salmon basted with some bread dipping oil, asparagus in a basket lightly brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt, and new potatoes, onions, and peppers (yellow and red) chopped up in a foil packet. All on the grill so I just sat outside with a glass of red.

Sweetstop
05-24-2006, 10:45 AM
I've been eating crow with a side of humble pie lately. It's an acquired taste, but not bad with a decent wine.

KronoRed
05-24-2006, 03:34 PM
Nuked pizza.

It's fantastic