PDA

View Full Version : Griffey's kindness on display at Hall

pedro
05-16-2006, 06:02 PM
we can all say what we want about his injuries or whatever, but there is no doubt that Ken is a good guy.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/baseball/cst-spt-hot16.html

Griffey's kindness on display at Hall

May 16, 2006

COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. -- A little rain wasn't going to spoil the day for Ken Griffey Jr. and 4-year-old Kobe Stenson, even though it did wash out the annual Hall of Fame Game in the third inning Monday.

As the Cincinnati Reds and Pittsburgh Pirates were milling around before the game, Griffey grabbed Kobe by the arm.

''You want to see all the guys?'' Griffey said. "Come on.''

Griffey contacted the Hall of Fame and asked if Kobe could throw out the first pitch to him in honor of the boy's late father, Dernell Stenson. Stenson, a Reds prospect, was killed Nov. 3, 2003, in a carjacking.

''That's 90 percent of the reason I'm here,'' Griffey said. ''It's a chance to see the little man and how much he looks like his dad.''

captainmorgan07
05-16-2006, 06:34 PM
heck of a story people on here might complain about his shrinking range in center but he's one of the nicest guys u will ever meet

CrackerJack
05-16-2006, 07:28 PM
That's great, I do appreciate that he has a good heart - but I know a lot of people who do this with a lot less and give up a lot more of their time and effort and money (relatively speaking) than he or any pro athlete ever will, and no one writes stories about them.

This kind of thing is the least I expect from multi-gazillionaire athletes. And many of them don't even do that.

It's like Carl Lindner - whenever he gives a few computers to a Catholic school or pinches a little out of the pocket to sponsor a park - he's painted as some sort of Saint to humanity.

Yet I know people who do 10X as much and put a lot more effort into helping people than writing an occassional check, hoping on their private jet to shake someone's hand, or taking 15 min's to show a kid some pro athletes.

Honestly, this sort of thing is all fine and good, but I never understood the need to constantly publish such things - Jr. doesn't ask for it.

He's a good guy, we get the point already (no offense Pedro).

I've just seen a million "Jr.'s a great guy" stories and I would think even he is sick of them by now - considering there are millions of people more charitable than he ever will be, who aren't millionaires either, I would almost be offended by it if I were him.

Sorry but I couldn't help myself, felt the need to state my opinion - again no offense towards the original poster's intentions or even Jr. - whom I think is a genuinely good person and a refreshing character in pro athletics.

pedro
05-16-2006, 07:30 PM
I really only thought it was of note because it involved Stenson's son, but I hear what you're saying CJ.

penantboundreds
05-18-2006, 01:20 AM
well to bring linder into it is dumb because he has helped the city tremendously....just cuz he sucked as an owner doesnt mean he hasnt helped the city a ton

TeamBoone
05-18-2006, 12:56 PM
What the heck is wrong with a "feel good" story? No matter who it's about.

I don't understand you guys sometimes.