PDA

View Full Version : mets looking for a #3 starter

schroomytunes
05-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Maybe its time that we offer them a deal. We are full of #3 starters and we have to demote Lizard to the pen when Milton comes back. So what about this deal:

Reds trade:Brandon Claussen and Ryan Freel

Mets trade:Lastings Milledge(AAA 21yrs OF)
Evan MacClane (AAA 23yrs SP)

we get one of the best outfield prospects in baseball who will replace Griffrey and a good arm for the future in Macclane.While the Mets get a good #3 guy who is young and a utility guy that can play numerous spots.

2006 rotation then is:
Arroyo,Harang,Milton,Lizard,Williams- I think the lizard has earned a spot in the rotation at this point.

pedro
05-17-2006, 11:23 AM
I'd do that in a minute, but I think the Mets would want more for Milledge.

redsfan4445
05-17-2006, 11:24 AM
can someone post their records at AAA as i cant get to it at work

thanks

traderumor
05-17-2006, 11:26 AM
I can't imagine that our opinion of Claussen is that far off from another team's view of him. I would be tickled to get that much value, assuming the prospects named are what you claim them to be.

flyer85
05-17-2006, 11:29 AM
Maybe its time that we offer them a deal. We are full of #3 starters actually I would say we are full of #5 starters but when you are currently pitching Jose Lima every 5th day I would say just about any warm body ought to look pretty good.

And the Mets trading Milledge for anything we would offer is a bad joke.

We would be lucky to get a Heath Bell and someone else.

RANDY IN INDY
05-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Claussen would fare better in that ballpark, and the presence of Tom Glavine would do him a world of good.

Danny Serafini
05-17-2006, 11:42 AM
You wouldn't get Milledge alone for Claussen and Freel, let alone both of them.

pedro
05-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Claussen would fare better in that ballpark, and the presence of Tom Glavine would do him a world of good.

I agree with that.

NJReds
05-17-2006, 11:48 AM
The Mets don't even want to deal Milledge for Willis.

Mets beat reporter was on local sportstalk yesterday and said that the A's and Marlins both asked for David Wright (for Zito and Willis, respectively). He thought it unlikely that the Mets would give up Milledge for either (much less Wright).

The thought is that they try to deal for Livan Hernandez.

pedro
05-17-2006, 11:49 AM
David Wright eh?

That dog don't hunt.

He's the Franchise.

flyer85
05-17-2006, 12:00 PM
David Wright eh?

That dog don't hunt.

He's the Franchise.They don't have much to offer, that is why they are likely to end up bottom feeding from a team like the Reds. I would be more than happy to deal Williams in exhange for a couple of relievers. I would take Julio and Bell along with the cash differential.

RedsManRick
05-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Mets are apparently not willing to trade Milledge for Zito. I doubt they'd do it for Claussen.

flyer85
05-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Mets are apparently not willing to trade Milledge for Zito. I doubt they'd do it for Claussen.The great prospect for journeyman pitcher was a once in a decade deal and won't happen again for a while after Kazmir/Zambrano.

penantboundreds
05-17-2006, 12:29 PM
why do we want to get rid of claussen again?

NJReds
David Wright eh?

That dog don't hunt.

He's the Franchise.

I agree. Might as well ask for Wright and "settle" for Milledge.

NJReds
The great prospect for journeyman pitcher was a once in a decade deal and won't happen again for a while after Kazmir/Zambrano.

Oh...that one still stings Mets fans.

TOBTTReds
05-17-2006, 12:50 PM
I dont really think Claussen is a #3. I think on a more respected pitching staff, he is a #4 or 5. He is only a 3 here because we don't have a 4 or 5.

Shaknb8k
05-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Milledge isnt coming our way in any deal. They clearly need SP. And when I say SP i mean REAL starting pitching for a contending team. Claussen doesnt count. Harang probably not either and Arroyo is cutting it close.

But as they said before if they arent going to part ways with Milledge to get Willis then we dont have a shot with any pitcher in this entire organization. Ive also heard the Mets will be even more cautious when trading prospects since getting burned on the Kazmir trade even though it isnt the same front office in place over there.

Topcat
05-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Milledge is a definite non touchable (almost)* , But would it hurt to maybe deal Milton for say...................um...................ah..... ......................anything :D . Freeing his salary off the books would do the Reds a heck of alot of good.

pedro
05-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Harang and Arroyo would be fine back of the rotation starters on almost any team and most certainly the Mets who are now using JOSE LIMA.

Claussen even is an upgrade to that staff.

rdiersin
05-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Harang and Arroyo would be fine back of the rotation starters on almost any team and most certainly the Mets who are now using JOSE LIMA.

Claussen even is an upgrade to that staff.

Heck, they have an upgrade to the staff, but he's in the bullpen, in Heilman.

pedro
05-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Heck, they have an upgrade to the staff, but he's in the bullpen, in Heilman.

true, although I am not that sold on him as a SP.

rdiersin
05-17-2006, 01:38 PM
true, although I am not that sold on him as a SP.

I'm not sure I am sold on him either, long term, but he definitely is better than what is there now and could provide a stop gap until Pelfrey is ready.

flyer85
05-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Heck, they have an upgrade to the staff, but he's in the bullpen, in Heilman.without a doubt, although they seem hesitant to use him in that role. When they get around to that option and use it I think the trade opportunity window will close for a back end of the rotation pitcher.

rdiersin
05-17-2006, 02:35 PM
without a doubt, although they seem hesitant to use him in that role. When they get around to that option and use it I think the trade opportunity window will close for a back end of the rotation pitcher.

Yea, I guess that is the point. I don't think that they will trade for a back end of the rotation pitcher. They have a couple of guys that could fill in for the time being in Heilman (who I agree they seem to be reluctant to use) and John Maine. It seems most of the pitchers they are rumored to be interested in are not back of the rotation pitchers, in Zito and Willis. Zito would be a good pickup considering his contract situation, leaving after this year and allowing Pelfrey (who I would bet gets rushed and sees some time in the majors this year) to move in the rotation, but isn't worth Milledge.

KronoRed
05-17-2006, 04:21 PM
why do we want to get rid of claussen again?
He still has value due to age, if a team in win now mode wants to deal a good prospect for him it should be done.

buckeyenut
05-17-2006, 06:16 PM
He is young, he has been solid, I think Claussen and Freel combined would get you more than you think.

Mario-Rijo
05-17-2006, 07:22 PM
LHR Duaner Sanchez looks pretty solid, how about he and Double-A pitcher Michael Pelfrey for Dave Williams? Or Milty?

Marc D
05-17-2006, 09:36 PM
I think the Reds need to look at either NY team as a trading partner in terms of their ability to eat contracts that most teams won't.

Milton is an upgrade for that team and can survive in that park. Take his contract, give us some minor league fodder to make it look good and lets call it a day.

flyer85
05-18-2006, 09:17 AM
LHR Duaner Sanchez looks pretty solid, how about he and Double-A pitcher Michael Pelfrey for Dave Williams? Or Milty?maybe if they could stop laughing

NJReds
05-18-2006, 10:00 AM
LHR Duaner Sanchez looks pretty solid, how about he and Double-A pitcher Michael Pelfrey for Dave Williams? Or Milty?

You'd be onto something if Steve Phillips or Duquette were still the GM.

TeamSelig
05-18-2006, 12:21 PM
I'd deal Bronson Arroyo for Sanchez and Heilman. Throw in a veteran bullpen arm if needed.

Heath
05-18-2006, 03:56 PM
We would be lucky to get a Heath Bell and someone else.

We could all feel privilaged if we could get somebody with Bell's pedigree. With a name like Heath, how COULD you go wrong? :D