PDA

View Full Version : Utterly useless

edabbs44
05-17-2006, 11:26 PM
There are four players on the roster who serve no use except for helping the Reds lose games:

McCracken
Hammond
Burns
White

What these 4 are doing on the team is beyond me. I have three letters for these guys: DFA.

Not sure what the FO is waiting for but if the organization wants to be taken seriously and look like a contender, half the bullpen cannot be made up of scrubs. Plain and simple.

CrackerJack
05-17-2006, 11:49 PM
I have three letters for these guys: DFA.

I'm doubting anyone can change his mind about those 4.

jimbo
05-18-2006, 02:12 AM
I agree on Burns and White and I can take or leave McCracken, but I still like Hammond. It is difficult for me to give up on the guy in May after he has an average ERA of somewhere around 2.60 in the last 4 seasons. He has pitched better recently and has only given up 2 runs in the last month. I think Hammond will still be a nice reliever this season when it's all said and done.

Topcat
05-18-2006, 02:28 AM
I agree on Burns and White and I can take or leave McCracken, but I still like Hammond. It is difficult for me to give up on the guy in May after he has an average ERA of somewhere around 2.60 in the last 4 seasons. He has pitched better recently and has only given up 2 runs in the last month. I think Hammond will still be a nice reliever this season when it's all said and done.

Sheesh do not bring rationality into a thread on a losing streak after ALL! there is only like what ? a 110 games left in the seaon?;) :D

redsfanfalcon
05-18-2006, 06:46 AM
I can see the first three, and maybe even Hammond. I just knew Howard would eat his lunch on Sunday. :D

oneupper
05-18-2006, 09:01 AM
McCracken is gone once Ross finishes his rehab stint with the Bats.

Unassisted
05-18-2006, 09:55 AM
The lack of roster changes may reflect a lack of viable alternatives or the fact that the logical alternatives might amount to replacing bad with worse. Who would you plug in to those roster spots, edabbs44?

kyle1976
05-18-2006, 10:04 AM
McCracken is gone once Ross finishes his rehab stint with the Bats.

Let's all hope your right.

Joseph
05-18-2006, 10:07 AM
The lack of roster changes may reflect a lack of viable alternatives or the fact that the logical alternatives might amount to replacing bad with worse. Who would you plug in to those roster spots, edabbs44?

Excellent question. Let's hope the answer isn't "Anyone would be better." because that's certainly not true.

Caveat Emperor
05-18-2006, 10:11 AM
Excellent question. Let's hope the answer isn't "Anyone would be better." because that's certainly not true.

David Shafer and Carlos Guevara for the bullpen and Chris Denorfia in place of McCracken for the outfield. Junior moves to LF, Dunn to 1B, Denorfia starts in CF, Hatteberg becomes first bat off the bench w/ Aurillia (when he's back) covering the infield to give days off. Eric Milton returns to the rotation and Elizardo Ramirez goes to the bullpen.

But, this never will happen because Wayne Krivsky and Jerry Narron are convinced that Dunn is a greater defensive liability at first than he and Jr. are in the outfield.

redsfan30
05-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Well said. Burns and White should have been gone a month ago. I'm not going to lose sleep over McCracken being on the roster, but I wouldn't be upset if he were let go.

Hammond however, I think should stay. He got rocked in the beginning....nobody in thier right mind could even attempt to argue that he didn't. But over the last month or so, he's been very good. That whiffle change is nasty and can be extremely effective, especially after the offense sees something up in the 90's. Sure, when you throw that slow, you run the risk of having a bomb lit off now and again and we saw that Sunday. But more often than not, that change is effective.

Chris Hammond is not the biggest problem in the bullpen, and he's not the reason for this recent losing streak.

edabbs44
05-18-2006, 10:37 AM
David Shafer and Carlos Guevara for the bullpen and Chris Denorfia in place of McCracken for the outfield. Junior moves to LF, Dunn to 1B, Denorfia starts in CF, Hatteberg becomes first bat off the bench w/ Aurillia (when he's back) covering the infield to give days off. Eric Milton returns to the rotation and Elizardo Ramirez goes to the bullpen.

But, this never will happen because Wayne Krivsky and Jerry Narron are convinced that Dunn is a greater defensive liability at first than he and Jr. are in the outfield.

I'm with you...except I would first look outside of the organization for help in the bullpen.

Unassisted
05-18-2006, 01:44 PM
I'm with you...except I would first look outside of the organization for help in the bullpen.OK, at this time of year, trading partners are hard to come by since every team thinks they're still in the race. That you means you have to overpay to make a trade in mid-May. Are you prepared to mortgage the future by trading a solid, affordable position player out of the starting lineup to shore up the BP?

Aronchis
05-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Guevara's been getting shelled in AA, he simply doesn't have the arm to pitch in the majors. Yeah, Shafer's a possibility, but that is usually more a summer move.

edabbs44
05-18-2006, 03:40 PM
OK, at this time of year, trading partners are hard to come by since every team thinks they're still in the race. That you means you have to overpay to make a trade in mid-May. Are you prepared to mortgage the future by trading a solid, affordable position player out of the starting lineup to shore up the BP?
Depends on the situation, but yes. It is ridiculous that if we have a lead Coffey and Weathers are the only ones who can pitch in the 8th or 9th. If the Reds stay in the race all year, these guys are going to be dead.

captainmorgan07
05-18-2006, 03:42 PM
hammond has been pitching well he should stay for now

edabbs44
05-18-2006, 04:10 PM
hammond has been pitching well he should stay for now
Hammond only pitches when the game is 7-2 bad guys.

redsfan30
05-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Hammond only pitches when the game is 7-2 bad guys.
I believe he came in Friday night against Phily and got the team out of a jam with a strikeout and a groundout. I think it was 3-2 at the time.

edabbs44
05-18-2006, 04:26 PM
I believe he came in Friday night against Phily and got the team out of a jam with a strikeout and a groundout. I think it was 3-2 at the time.
OK...if anyone has any faith in Hammond then I apologize. But I think an upgrade is needed in the worst kind of way. Hammond can be a LOOGY, but that's about it.

dabvu2498
05-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Any thoughts on why we've seen more of Hammond than of Kent Mercker?

Danny Serafini
05-18-2006, 04:33 PM
Mercker is on the DL with a sore elbow.

redsfanmia
05-18-2006, 05:00 PM
I would like to add one more to your list Jason LaRue.

Highlifeman21
05-18-2006, 05:54 PM
I would like to add one more to your list Jason LaRue.

Agreed.

3 catchers isn't a good idea, plus if we need an emergency catcher, the pickin machine used to roam behind the dish.

My question is WHT Ryan Wagner?! Where is this guy?!

edabbs44
05-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Agreed.

3 catchers isn't a good idea, plus if we need an emergency catcher, the pickin machine used to roam behind the dish.

My question is WHT Ryan Wagner?! Where is this guy?!
He is currently impersonating Rick White in AAA. What a disaster.

Caveat Emperor
05-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Any thoughts on why we've seen more of Hammond than of Kent Mercker?

He's on the 15 day, eligible to come off on the 26th, I believe.

Unassisted
05-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Depends on the situation, but yes. It is ridiculous that if we have a lead Coffey and Weathers are the only ones who can pitch in the 8th or 9th. If the Reds stay in the race all year, these guys are going to be dead.OK, that's a fair answer. I doubt that yours is a majority opinion here, and I don't happen to share it, but I can see where you're coming from and it's just a matter of priorities. I guess we'll find out where the priorities of the Reds FO lie soon enough. :beerme:

JEA
05-18-2006, 07:17 PM
After Chris Hammond's rough start, he's posted a 1.86 ERA (since April 11), including no runs in 6 of his 8 appearances.

He's been solid the last few years, and aside from those first few appearances, I've seen nothing to make me think he's a different pitcher this year.

I like him on the roster.

gilpdawg
05-18-2006, 10:43 PM
After Chris Hammond's rough start, he's posted a 1.86 ERA (since April 11), including no runs in 6 of his 8 appearances.

He's been solid the last few years, and aside from those first few appearances, I've seen nothing to make me think he's a different pitcher this year.

Yeah. You would think people would be smart enough on this board to look beyond the raw numbers sometimes. You'd be wrong. Hammond is fine on this team, White on the other hand, should be gone shortly.

edabbs44
05-18-2006, 10:50 PM
I agree Hammond has improved since the first few weeks of the year, but we talk about his last 8 appearances and these are the final scores of those games:

L 9-3
W 9-1
L 11-0
L 3-0
L 7-1
L 7-1
L 8-4
L 2-1

Not exactly edge of your seat drama. So I will give him a little more time, b/c he has improved. But if Narron gives him some more important situations and he comes through, then obviously I will change my tune and have no problems.

Topcat
05-18-2006, 10:59 PM

Have to agree Hammond has been damn decent since his rough begining, of course a person would have to look at his performance since to grasp that.;)