PDA

View Full Version : Arroyo goes off after loss to Pirates on 5/17

TeamBoone
05-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Thursday, May 18, 2006

Arroyo goes off after loss
Offense fails in 5th defeat in row
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

PITTSBURGH - There was plenty of blame to go around after the Reds' fifth straight loss.

But Bronson Arroyo wasn't in a mood to share: He took all of it after a 7-2 loss to the Pittsburgh Pirates Wednesday at PNC Park.

"That can't happen. Period," he said. "Against that team, to put them (the Reds) in a 4-1 hole. That's bull . . .

"We haven't been swinging the bats. That makes it that much harder."

The Reds did not recover after falling behind 4-1, although they had many chances. Again, the goats were many:

Rick White, he of the 7.41 ERA, gave up three runs in the eighth to put the game safely out of reach.

Ryan Freel got picked off second base with the score 4-2 in the seventh to short-circuit a potential rally. "That's not too good," Reds manager Jerry Narron said.

The club RBI leader, Edwin Encarnacion, personally left eight runners on base.

But Arroyo was willing to say what others wouldn't: The Reds have to beat the Pirates and teams like them to contend.

"That was just horrible," he said.

Someone asked if he felt pressure facing his former team.

"Not at all," he said. "If I can't feel comfortable against that lineup, something's wrong with me."

The Reds, who are hitting .176 during the losing streak, started the game with three straight hits.

But they managed to score only one run on Austin Kearns' bases-loaded sacrifice fly. Kearns scorched one that Jason Bay ran down in left.

"We couldn't get the big hit," Narron said. "If Kearns' ball is to the side or up ..."

The Pirates got the run back quickly when Nate McLouth homered in the first.

The Pirates took a 4-1 lead in the second. The inning started with three straight hits - none of them hit hard.

The big blow came from pitcher Oliver Perez, who jumped on the first pitch Arroyo threw him and lined it into right to get two runs home.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060518/SPT04/605180349/1071

KoryMac5
05-18-2006, 01:41 PM
Sounds like Arroyo is taking a clubhouse leadership role.

Phhhl
05-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Wow. When is the last time you heard a baseball player call out an entire team like that? Arroyo basically called the Buccos a bunch of clowns.

I kind of like it. We don't always have to be such gentlemen.

MartyFan
05-18-2006, 01:45 PM
I LOVE BA!!!! Dude RAWKS!

MattyHo4Life
05-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Wow. When is the last time you heard a baseball player call out an entire team like that? Arroyo basically called the Buccos a bunch of clowns.

I kind of like it. We don't always have to be such gentlemen.

The Reds need a guy like that. It sounds like Arroyo has a winning attitude which comes from being on a team like the Red Sox. It seems like in the past, the Reds don't expect to win, even when they have a good start. Having Arroyo in the clubhouse with that kind of attitude can only lead to good things.

Jr's Boy
05-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Nice to hear one of the new players very vocal about the situation going on right now,and taking responsibility for his actions on the mound.I'm sure Arroyo hasn't been used to this drought for quite sometime after Boston's offensive juggernaut.Will be interesting to see how he does in his next outing.

TeamBoone
05-18-2006, 01:54 PM
The Reds need a guy like that. It sounds like Arroyo has a winning attitude which comes from being on a team like the Red Sox. It seems like in the past, the Reds don't expect to win, even when they have a good start. Having Arroyo in the clubhouse with that kind of attitude can only lead to good things.

I agree that Bronson has the right attitude... and verbalizes it.

But I don't agree that the Reds expect to lose (or don't expect to win)... not now and not in the past.

registerthis
05-18-2006, 02:28 PM
But I don't agree that the Reds expect to lose (or don't expect to win)... not now and not in the past.

Wasn't that essentially Danny Graves' selling point to other players, though? There's no pressure to win so there's no pressure to perform?

nmculbreth
05-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Comments like these make me an even bigger fan of Bronson Arroyo.

captainmorgan07
05-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Comments like these make me an even bigger fan of Bronson Arroyo.
i was an arroyo fan before but now im an even bigger fan also

RedRage
05-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Arroyo for president!

KronoRed
05-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Arroyo basically called the Buccos a bunch of clowns.

It's hard to ignore the truth ;)

Joseph
05-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Listened to XM, it was the Pirates feed. The announcers for the Bucs were less than pleased with the comments saying things like "Bronson should know better." and "I wouldn't expect that of a guy like Bronson." etc etc.

GAC
05-18-2006, 05:03 PM
Rick White, he of the 7.41 ERA, gave up three runs in the eighth to put the game safely out of reach.

Ryan Freel got picked off second base with the score 4-2 in the seventh to short-circuit a potential rally. "That's not too good," Reds manager Jerry Narron said.

The club RBI leader, Edwin Encarnacion, personally left eight runners on base.

It's obviously Griffey's fault.

Big Daddy P
05-18-2006, 05:33 PM
Yo, B.A., well said, son!

Love a little fire. Some of the guys on this team show no emotion upon failing to do their job. It's about time. Show some on the field too, within reason of course!

Yeah, BA!

Johnny Footstool
05-18-2006, 05:53 PM
I didn't see him comment about his own pitching. Pretty brave of him to call his teammates out when he was the one hanging all those flat curveballs early in the game.

TheBigLebowski
05-18-2006, 05:59 PM
I didn't see him comment about his own pitching. Pretty brave of him to call his teammates out when he was the one hanging all those flat curveballs early in the game.

Actually, that's pretty much all he did in the first part of the rant. Perhaps try reading it a bit closer.

redsfan30
05-18-2006, 06:05 PM
:confused:

"That can't happen. Period," he said. "Against that team, to put them (the Reds) in a 4-1 hole. That's bull . . .

Someone asked if he felt pressure facing his former team.

"Not at all," he said. "If I can't feel comfortable against that lineup, something's wrong with me."

GridironGrace
05-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Good For Bronson.

We need this in the Clubhouse.. someone who's gonna crawl 12 Feet up someone ARSE when they mess up.

Gett em' Bronson!!!!!!

Ltlabner
05-18-2006, 06:18 PM
This is what they need. One of the (many) things that drove me nuts last year was when the team would implode Miley would just bumble through the post game interview. It was always "things just didn't go our way" or "it wasn't his night" or "things sometimes don't turn out like you'd want" or some other PC, non-commitall crap like that.

I like I guy who can put some blame on himself and tell it like it is.

oneupper
05-18-2006, 06:21 PM
I'd prefer if Bronson referred to the REDs as "us" and not "them".

reds44
05-18-2006, 06:23 PM
All I can say is good.

Arroyo is right, and it is good to see soem fire.

Mario-Rijo
05-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Hey Fay how about making this a bit clearer, and maybe not try to create something that isn't there. Did this quote raise a red flag or at least sound strange?

Shouldn't he have wrote (the offense)? I may be overreacting and he may not have meant anything by it, but ever since the trade I have seen a few quotes where it looks like Bronson himself is trying to distance himself from the Reds. Just something to keep an eye out for! Two months from now someone may have reacted to another article bye quoting this as if Bronson said "the Reds".

Case in point:

Not to pick on you oneupper but Fay writes it so as make it appear as if Bronson meant that!

Johnny Footstool
05-18-2006, 07:00 PM
I will amend my previous statement -- Arroyo didn't make excuses for his pitching. My mistake.

I do find this odd, though...

But Bronson Arroyo wasn't in a mood to share: He took all of it after a 7-2 loss to the Pittsburgh Pirates Wednesday at PNC Park.

That doesn't sound like "taking all the blame" to me.

MartyFan
05-18-2006, 07:36 PM
Could it be when he says "THEM" he means his team mates?

BA is the man...we need a couple more with his edge to come forward or be brought on.

TeamBoone
05-19-2006, 12:22 AM
Hmm, the Pirates' players didn't take kindly to Arroyo's comments.

05/18/2006 6:08 PM ET

Bulletin board material: Starting pitcher Bronson Arroyo fired some of his hardest stuff at the Pirates after Wednesday's loss. Arroyo, who gave up four earned runs and nine hits over six innings, zinged Pittsburgh with some biting commentary.

"If I can't stand on the mound and feel comfortable against that lineup, then something's wrong with me," was one of Arroyo's quotes Wednesday.

Not surprising, the pitcher's words found their way into the Pirates' clubhouse and its occupants were not amused.

"Maybe next time around, he'll give us some more respect," said Pirates left fielder Jason Bay, who slugged a first-inning grand slam off Dave Williams on Thursday. "If a guy is going to be overconfident against us, maybe it will work to our advantage."

"I don't think it's right to say something like that," Pirates shortstop Jack Wilson said. "If you have frustration, think it to yourself. To come out publicly is only going to fuel us. This might be the jump-start we need."
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060518&content_id=1459996&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

The Baumer
05-19-2006, 12:31 AM

Pitchers are their own breed, their own group, so it's not uncommon to hear them refer to the rest of the team or the offense as "them". It's not an attempt to distance themselves from the rest of the team, it's just a natural extension of how baseball works. Pitchers and position players; one team, two specific and seperate groups.

CTA513
05-19-2006, 12:31 AM
Hmm, the Pirates' players didn't take kindly to Arroyo's comments.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060518&content_id=1459996&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

They got jump started... then stalled.

WMR
05-19-2006, 12:34 AM
I like it. I'm so sick of the Sean Casey nice guy approach.

Let's ruffle some feathers.

harangatang
05-19-2006, 01:28 AM
I totally agree, the Reds have talent they just need to know to win. Arroyo brings that to the Reds coming from an atmosphere in Boston that demands you win and I hope it spreads like wildfire.

saboforthird
05-19-2006, 02:30 AM
I think that Arroyo is all-in-all a quiet guy, but when you take someone from the environment that Fenway Park provides EVERY night it's bound to make him into something that the Reds haven't seen in quite some time. Not trying to discredit Bronson in any way. He's a lot of fun to be around, just saying...

Benny-Distefano
05-19-2006, 02:41 AM
"This might be the jump-start we need.

:laugh:

TeamBoone
05-19-2006, 02:09 PM
Friday, May 19, 2006

Reds pitcher continues verbal assault
By Joe Rutter / TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Bronson Arroyo didn't back down Thursday from the disparaging comments he made against the Pirates one night earlier. Instead, he stepped up and continued to assail his former team.
Arroyo, the losing pitcher in the Pirates' 7-2 victory Wednesday night, stood by his statement that he was beaten by an inferior team. And he was surprised to learn several Pirates players were upset by what was said.

"The Pirates? That is a weak lineup," Arroyo said before the game yesterday. "What else do you want me to say? They're not the Yankees."

The Cincinnati Reds lost their fifth in a row after Arroyo, who was 5-1 with a 2.03 ERA entering the game, gave up four runs and nine hits in six innings. The Pirates scored four runs in the first two innings, two coming on pitcher Oliver Perez's single.

"I felt like I was embarrassed to get behind 4-1 early in a game like that," said Arroyo, who joined the Reds in a spring training trade with the Boston Red Sox. "It's not a secret. They don't have a bunch of All-Stars in that lineup. They had seven righties up there, which is tailor-made for me. I was embarrassed to be beaten by those guys.

"That's not to say you can't be beat on any given day, but I thought it was a horse (crap) outing, especially against a team like that. I mean, they are one of the weakest teams in baseball. That's just the way it is. If I gave up four runs in six innings to the Yankees, I probably wouldn't be embarrassed, but I was."

Arroyo played for the Pirates from 2000-02. He said Wednesday he felt no pressure pitching in Pittsburgh for the first time since his departure.

"If I can't stand on the mound and feel comfortable against that lineup, then something's wrong with me," he said.

That comment provided bulletin-board material for the Pirates. The quote was highlighted on a piece of paper and placed atop a table in the middle of the clubhouse for all players to see.

"What he said was very disrespectful," shortstop Jack Wilson said. "When you're out on the field, you respect everything. You respect the game, you respect your players and you respect the other team's players. To come out and say that, especially against your former teammates, guys who've played with you, it's more disrespectful.

"You take it personally. You can be frustrated with an outing and think you've faced better lineups, but don't come out publicly and rip your old teammates. The fact is, we hit the ball well and the score could have been worse."

Arroyo offered no apologies for his candor and used his team as an example.

"I'm not disrespecting anybody. I'm just stating the facts," he said. "We don't have a lights-out rotation here. We don't have a lights-out bullpen. That's just a fact. We don't have a busload of guys that are Randy Johnsons. We don't have anybody in our rotation that's a Randy Johnson. That's just the way it is.

"If the Yankees were playing us and they said they were embarrassed to be beat by Dave Williams, Bronson Arroyo and Brandon Claussen, hey, I'm not going to take offense to it. I know these are three guys the Yankees shouldn't be beaten by. I don't think I should be beaten by a lineup that sends seven righties at me and doesn't have a lot of juice in its lineup or whatever you want to call it."

Pirates manager Jim Tracy refused to be drawn into the war of words.

"I'm not throwing any mud back," he said. "We came in here yesterday trying to win a game, and we accomplished that. The lineup last night did a very decent job. Move on."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguinslive/s_454578.html

MattyHo4Life
05-19-2006, 02:16 PM
Pitchers are their own breed, their own group, so it's not uncommon to hear them refer to the rest of the team or the offense as "them". It's not an attempt to distance themselves from the rest of the team, it's just a natural extension of how baseball works. Pitchers and position players; one team, two specific and seperate groups.

I think there is also a seperation between Starting Pitchers and Relievers. Earlier in the season, one of the Cardinals (I think it was Jeff Suppan) told Adam Wainwright that he should hang out with the Starters since he is going to eventually be in the rotation, and not hang out with "them" (The Relievers).

BuckWoody
05-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Chad Johnson says :wave:.

;)

MattyHo4Life
05-19-2006, 04:07 PM

You may be right. My comment wasn't intended as a slight to any of the Reds players. It's just an opinion that if you aren't used to winning, you probably don't expect to win. Arroyo has been on a winning team, so he knows what feels like to win.

CTA513
05-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Someone on the Pirates board said to hit Arroyo with a fastball in the thigh next time they play the Reds. Yeah, I dont think there would be any bench clearing over that...

:laugh:

savafan
05-19-2006, 05:47 PM
I love Oreo.

fisch11
05-19-2006, 06:31 PM
I like to see guys put the responsiblity on their own shoulders. Even when the offense wasn't helping him much. BA is a gamer.

TeamBoone
05-19-2006, 09:15 PM
I got his CD today, and I love it. Though I like several different kinds of music, I've always been partial to the kinds of stuff he covers on it.

He has quite the powerful voice for a skinny-ish dude!

George Foster
05-19-2006, 11:36 PM
Could it be when he says "THEM" he means his team mates?

BA is the man...we need a couple more with his edge to come forward or be brought on.

I think most pitchers have the mentality of the "offense" as one part of the team, and the pitching as the other part of the team. When he said "them" he ment the offense. Kind of like the offense and the defense in football. "We can't keep putting them (our defense) in a hole...we have to move the ball."

TeamBoone
05-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Sunday, May 21, 2006

Arroyo makes no excuses - period

DETROIT - Even with all Bronson Arroyo has done on the mound for the Reds this year, what he said Wednesday night after a bad outing in a 7-2 loss in Pittsburgh might have had more impact.

Baseball writers are used to hearing pitchers explain away bad nights with variations of these three classics:

"I got a couple of balls up, and I paid for it."

"I made two or three mistakes all night, and it cost me."

"I just didn't have my best stuff."

Arroyo was having none of that Wednesday:

"I mean, to get off to a start like that against a team like this, especially after we hadn't won for four days in a row, it's (bull). This can't happen. Period."

A Pittsburgh writer gave Arroyo a chance to back off, asking if he had felt pressure pitching against a team he played with for three seasons.

Arroyo piled on instead.

"If I can't stand on the mound and feel comfortable against that lineup, then something's wrong with me," he said.

Good for him.

Baseball can use a little more honesty. Nothing Arroyo said was earthshaking news to anyone.

And he doesn't regret what he said.

"I know you can't say certain things in the media," he said. "I've never been a guy to tick people off in the paper.

"But the thing is, I'm not going to sugar-coat a bad outing and say: 'Well, they got some soft line drives. They didn't hit the ball that good.' "

Arroyo felt like he needed to shut down the Pirates that night.

"I felt like it was bad timing," he said. "Had we been winning, I wouldn't have felt so bad about being down 4-1. But the way we had been playing, I felt like I took us completely out of the game against a weak lineup. That's just a fact. It's a weak lineup, especially with the guys they've got sitting on the bench.

"It wasn't meant to offend anyone."

He simply was saying what a lot of other players thought.

Again, good for him.

Arroyo has raised the standards for the Reds' starters.

Reds manager Jerry Narron didn't feel compelled to tell Arroyo to tone it down - even though what he said clearly ticked off the Pirates.

"I have no problem with it," Narron said.

Narron likes Arroyo's attitude.

"The thing about the guy is he knows what it's like to pitch against those stacked American League lineups every night," Narron said. "He's not afraid. That's as big as anything he brings to the club."

E-mail jfay@enquirer.com

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060521/COL09/605210316/1071/SPT04