PDA

View Full Version : Finding Lost Or Stolen Dogs

dman
05-18-2006, 09:18 PM
I could really use some help, encouragement, and advise here. My 7 month old Labrador was either lost or stolen today around noon. The AEP meter reader came into my backyard and saw the pup and tried to hit him with an umbrella and the pup took off running and has not been seen since. I know that my pup was scared, but I also know that he's a well enough behaved dog that he would return under almost any condition to the sound of my or my wife's call. I've searched the areas near and kind of far, went to the Franklin County dog pound, posted flyers, and my sister's have gone door to door. We live in a somewhat rural setting, so our neighbors are somewhat limited. I'm open to any suggestions and also, based on other's experience, what are the odds that we will even see him again?

bucksfan
05-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Contact the animal shelters, humane societies, dog pounds (as you did already), and local animal control office with a description of your dog and message to notify you if they see him. Hopefully he has his license, etc on him which will greatly assist in his return. And if not, please let this serve to help others to get your pets licensed and keep the tags on them.

Best of luck dman. I truly wish the best for you and the pup. Keep on looking/calling for him yourself also. Don't give up. He's proabably quite scared right now.

Yachtzee
05-18-2006, 11:59 PM
I feel for you. Checking with Animal Control, the dog pound, the area humane society/animal protection league might help. Since it's a lab, you might also try to find out if there is a lab rescue organization in the area. Sometimes people will send purebreds to the rescue org. thinking it has been abandoned.

Don't forget lost and found notices in the paper. When I was a kid I brought home a black lab mix puppy that ended up being our family dog for 15 years. She was wonderful, but she had a bad habit of running off. She would come back on her own if no one caught her, but she usually got caught. There were at least 5 or 6 times when I thought she was gone for good, but somehow she was always brought back. I think the key is using multiple avenues to get the word out. Flyers and papers work well. Once my sister took an old piece of fiberboard and spaypainted a sign on it that could be easily seen from a distance. Our dog had been missing for 2 weeks when the people who had found her just happened to drive by our street and noticed the sign.

Driving the neighborhood every so often helps too. Someone might have found your dog, but still doesn't know that it's yours. Maybe you might seem them out walking the dog. Just be careful and make sure it's your dog before you go up to the people.

Gainesville Red
05-19-2006, 12:16 AM
The meter guy tried to hit your 7-month-old puppy with an umberlla? What the hell? Is that pretty standard procedure in Grove City? Did they tell you they tried to hit it, or what? If someone ever came in my yard and tried to hit my dog, whew, they might have it coming in a big way from me. Especially if it's a damn puppy.

I'd understand if it's a pit bull or something, but a lab puppy?

They'd probably be getting a pretty irate phone call from me.

Either way, I'm really sorry to hear it, losing a dog is a tough, heartbreaking time. I really hope you find it.

WMR
05-19-2006, 12:51 AM
The meter guy tried to hit your 7-month-old puppy with an umberlla? What the hell? Is that pretty standard procedure in Grove City? Did they tell you they tried to hit it, or what? If someone ever came in my yard and tried to hit my dog, whew, they might have it coming in a big way from me. Especially if it's a damn puppy.

I'd understand if it's a pit bull or something, but a lab puppy?

They'd probably be getting a pretty irate phone call from me.

Either way, I'm really sorry to hear it, losing a dog is a tough, heartbreaking time. I really hope you find it.

Yeah seriously, if someone came onto my property and took a swing at my beloved little corgi, he would be getting an ass-whipping.

And if he then caused Teddy to run off and get lost... wow, I can't imagine how freaking pissed I would be.

Hope you find your dog! :(

Gainesville Red
05-19-2006, 01:32 AM
Obviously, we don't know all of the details, and I'm certainly no lawyer, but I know there are some on Redszone, couldn't this be lawsuit territory?

He came into your yard, and tried to hit your puppy, and the puppy ran away, and may be gone?

I mean, with all of the ridiculous things people sue for, this sounds pretty legit, right? I'm pissed off just thinking about it. I like my dog more than I like most of the people I know.

Redsfaithful
05-19-2006, 01:58 AM
That's terrible Dman. I don't have any advice that hasn't already been given, but I just wanted to say good luck. I have an 11 month old golden retriever and I'd be devastated if she got away.

And I'd be raising holy hell with AEP if I were you.

dman
05-19-2006, 04:03 AM
GREAT NEWS. He showed up on the porch about 3:30 A.M. barking wanting in. Thanks for the suggestions and support.
And yes, I'm not through with this yet. I will be getting in contact with AEP over this whole ordeal. It's probably good I wasn't home when this went down because I'd likely be out of a job from the butt-kickin' this guy would've received. No seriously though, something should be done, but I'm not a lawsuit kind of guy. I'll call and make myself heard and hopefully they'll have a good disciplinary procedure that will take it's course.

Once again thanks so much for the help.

KronoRed
05-19-2006, 04:16 AM
Glad to hear the pup showed up dman :)

RedFanAlways1966
05-19-2006, 07:59 AM
Glad to hear the pup showed up dman :)

Yes, me too. Our dog has been "lost" a couple of times and that feeling you go through while it is gone is a terrible thing. All's well that ends well. Except for that chump meter-reader person. Grrrr!

SandyD
05-19-2006, 08:14 AM
We had a dog that was hit by a car (we saw it); the dog got up and ran off. We were leaving town for Thanksgiving ... thought he'd run off to die.

When we got back, someone had found him and sent him to our vet. (He had tags.)

He wasn't even hurt. Required no treatment. Just boarding while we were away.

I'm glad your dog is back and ok, dman. And you should at least raise some issues with the company the meter-reader worked for.

RANDY IN INDY
05-19-2006, 08:34 AM
Not to be overly critical, Sandy, but if I saw my dog get hit by a car, I could have never left without getting him medical attention, or burying him if he had been killed. I know people have different relationships with their animals, but my dog(s) have always been just like a family member. My 2 year old golden retriever and I are inseparable. He sleeps by my side of the bed each night and is my constant companion when I am at home.

Gainesville Red
05-19-2006, 09:01 AM
:beerme: :thumbup:

WMR
05-19-2006, 09:20 AM
Not to be overly critical, Sandy, but if I saw my dog get hit by a car, I could have never left without getting him medical attention, or burying him if he had been killed. I know people have different relationships with their animals, but my dog(s) have always been just like a family member. My 2 year old golden retriever and I are inseparable. He sleeps by my side of the bed each night and is my constant companion when I am at home.

Agree. I'd be in a constant state of panic/worry the entire trip.

Glad your dog found his way home.

Definitely get in touch with somebody high up the food chain at that company.

TeamCasey
05-19-2006, 09:30 AM
My dog was chained in the backyard while I was mowing the front yard. (Lab/Samoyed mix ....... his mama was a purebred, but his papa was a breaking and entering rapist :) ) The next door neighbor was getting a Chemlawn treatment. I caught the guy spraying chemicals at my dog. (He was barking but tied up and couldn't reach the Chemlawn guy.)

I was furious! You never saw someone fly off a lawn mower so fast. I screamed at the guy and quickly bathed my dog.

Yachtzee
05-19-2006, 11:45 AM
GREAT NEWS. He showed up on the porch about 3:30 A.M. barking wanting in. Thanks for the suggestions and support.
And yes, I'm not through with this yet. I will be getting in contact with AEP over this whole ordeal. It's probably good I wasn't home when this went down because I'd likely be out of a job from the butt-kickin' this guy would've received. No seriously though, something should be done, but I'm not a lawsuit kind of guy. I'll call and make myself heard and hopefully they'll have a good disciplinary procedure that will take it's course.

That is great news! I'm glad to hear that your dog came back. I hope AEP will handle it to your satisfaction.

One thing that has helped keep my dog that I have now from running off has been the invisible fence we installed. It gives her room to run around in the backyard without having to worry about her running off.

Falls City Beer
05-19-2006, 11:50 AM

Awesome news. There's nothing on earth worse than losing a pet.

bucksfan
05-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Great news dman! I am very happy for you!

Roy Tucker
05-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Glad to hear the pup is back dman...

Two other things:

- Always make sure your dog has on a collar with an up to date tag with name, addr, phone, etc.
- Check back at the shelters, pounds, etc. more than once. Sometimes it takes more than a few days for the dog to get there and he may not be there on your first visit.

pedro
05-19-2006, 01:21 PM
My dog was chained in the backyard while I was mowing the front yard. (Lab/Samoyed mix ....... his mama was a purebred, but his papa was a breaking and entering rapist :) ) The next door neighbor was getting a Chemlawn treatment. I caught the guy spraying chemicals at my dog. (He was barking but tied up and couldn't reach the Chemlawn guy.)

I was furious! You never saw someone fly off a lawn mower so fast. I screamed at the guy and quickly bathed my dog.

I'd make it my life's pursuit to make sure that :angry: :angry: :angry: lost his job.

RANDY IN INDY
05-19-2006, 02:22 PM
There is also a technology where you can have an ID chip implanted in your dog. When we had our Golden neutered, they implanted a chip free of cost. He also has a tatoo on the underside of his left leg. The breeder insisted that all his puppies have the tatoo before selling the dogs.

dman
05-19-2006, 05:42 PM
There is also a technology where you can have an ID chip implanted in your dog. When we had our Golden neutered, they implanted a chip free of cost. He also has a tatoo on the underside of his left leg. The breeder insisted that all his puppies have the tatoo before selling the dogs.
This situation pretty much sold me on the idea of micro-chipping my dog

SandyD
05-19-2006, 10:05 PM

Wasn't my choice. I was 14 or 15. We tried to find the dog, and could not. He ran off. I was helping my younger brothers with their paper route. We didn't want to go, but mom and dad made us.

Note: Our dog was hit, and dragged about 50 ft. Got up and ran off into a big field behind a shopping center on the edge of town. It was dark.

It did spoil our trip, btw.

RANDY IN INDY
05-20-2006, 08:31 AM
I can imagine, Sandy. My parents probably would have been the same way.