PDA

View Full Version : Dunn on with Rome, 3rd Hour

deltachi8
05-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Jim Rome just announced Adam will be on during the third hour of today's show (generally 2pm-3pm EST).

Joseph
05-19-2006, 12:26 PM
He's also mentioned Arroyo's comments towards the Pirates, should be something he asks Dunn about.

TeamBoone
05-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Why shold he ask Adam? He's not the one who was quoted.

I hope Adam comes back at him with some well-worded but smart retort.

Joseph
05-19-2006, 12:31 PM
I mean who should ask how it makes the team feel when a guy is putting himself out there and saying the Reds should beat a team like the Pirates.

Yachtzee
05-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Rome will lob up some fat meatballs for Dunn. He doesn't ask the hard questions when guys come on the air. He'll probably ask Dunn about a few things that Dunn likes to talk about, ask him about some crazy story about something that happened to him, tell him he's a great guy and that he'll get some "Jungle Karma" for the next few days.

medford
05-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Rome will lob up some fat meatballs for Dunn. He doesn't ask the hard questions when guys come on the air. He'll probably ask Dunn about a few things that Dunn likes to talk about, ask him about some crazy story about something that happened to him, tell him he's a great guy and that he'll get some "Jungle Karma" for the next few days.

Pretty much sounds like a typical Rome interview. Funny how after Chris, errr Jim Everet Kicked his butt, Rome doesn't ask many tough questions to his guests. Of course if you don't come on his show, then he's going consistantly attack you, ie Junior.

I will give him this much, his show does make me laugh from time to time.

indyred
05-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Good summary........Also Rome will say what a GREAT interview he just did and seperate his shoulder patting himself on the back..........I wonder if he ever heard..self praise is no praise.......

TeamBoone
05-19-2006, 12:55 PM
I mean who should ask how it makes the team feel when a guy is putting himself out there and saying the Reds should beat a team like the Pirates.

it's true; they should.

dabvu2498
05-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Where is Rome available on the internet?

pedro
05-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Where is Rome available on the internet?

http://www.jimrome.com/home.html

scounts22
05-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Ok, here's a stupid question, where can you find him on the radio?

dabvu2498
05-19-2006, 01:20 PM
How about for free???

Roy Tucker
05-19-2006, 01:23 PM
On a tangent, while channel surfing past Steven A Smith's show the other night, I caught the very tail end of him talking to Dunn. No idea of the content though.

TeamBoone
05-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Someone, please be sure to post a report. I'll be outside doing something I absolute detest... gardening! Waaaay behind because of the weather and must talk advantage today.

GOREDSGO32
05-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Bring out your radio, use headphones, whatever ..

IowaRed
05-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Someone, please be sure to post a report. I'll be outside doing something I absolute detest... gardening! Waaaay behind because of the weather and must talk advantage today.

Not even Adam Dunn could get me to listen to Jim Rome, so a report would be appreciated.

dougdirt
05-19-2006, 02:02 PM
anyone who wants to listen online, just go to www.1360homer.com and click the listen live thing. i live in cincinnati and listen online becuase it just sounds better.

RedsMan3203
05-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Dunn up NEXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXT.

CaiGuy
05-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Dunn on now

RedsMan3203
05-19-2006, 02:40 PM
"If we can keep the opponet under a touchdown, we'll be good" - Adam

Matt700wlw
05-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Dunn on his figurine...

"It looks like Dennis the Menace in the face. I don't know who it is."

CaiGuy
05-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Meetings are held just so the manager can say he had one

kyle1976
05-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Dunn said the shift should be "illegal"...lol

RedsMan3203
He admits the shift got into his head early, and he was trying to go the other way....

Now, he doesn't care about it.. and is trying to hit through the shift......

CaiGuy
shift should be illegal:)

RedsMan3203
05-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Oh yah, he was an All-Star in '02. ;)

kyle1976
05-19-2006, 02:43 PM
I hope some of that Rome karma rubs off on Dunn

RedsMan3203
05-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Is Dunn a tweaker?

kyle1976
05-19-2006, 02:45 PM
I gathered from that interview that Dunn is pretty stubborn. He doesn't seem willing to make changes that will help him or the Reds.

kbrake
05-19-2006, 02:45 PM
First time I have heard anything Jim Rome in a real long time. I think he might suck more now, I really didnt think he could get any worse. wow.

kbrake
05-19-2006, 02:46 PM
I gathered from that interview that Dunn is pretty stubborn. He doesn't seem willing to make changes that will help him or the Reds.

Like what?

kyle1976
05-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Like what?

Dunn said he's going to try to hit it over the shift or through the shift. He's been trying that and it doesn't work. If he could go the other way a few times that would lessen the shift.

He said the Reds are not a small ball team and rely on big home runs. I agree they're not a small ball, but I think they can play both. I like small ball. It's more consistent. It really helped the Reds get off to a fast start.

deltachi8
05-19-2006, 02:53 PM
Actually he said he was trying to to adjust to the shift, it got in his head and now he will either hit through it or over it.

Lets not start the small ball thing again....

Raisor
05-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Dunn said he's going to try to hit it over the shift or through the shift. He's been trying that and it doesn't work. If he could go the other way a few times that would lessen the shift.

He said the Reds are not a small ball team and rely on big home runs. I agree they're not a small ball, but I think they can play both. I like small ball. It's more consistent. It really helped the Reds get off to a fast start.

What got the Reds off to a fast start was scoring 7 runs a game. They didn't do that by "small ball" they did that by getting on base and knocking the cover off the ball.

kyle1976
05-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Dunn saying the shift is "unfair" is just pathetic. It is a fair and strategic tactic. It's been used for many years. I haven't heard Bonds or Griffey complain about it. How about GOING THE OTHER WAY for a change Dunner? Not being able to adapt to changes is immature and shows that maybe he doesn't want to be as good as we think he should be.

kbrake
05-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Threads like this I have really brought this site down the past few weeks.

RedsMan3203
05-19-2006, 03:18 PM

Please, the Reds fast start wasn't because of small ball, it was because everyone in the lineup 1-8 was smacking the ball around the ball park... There wasn't a weak spot in the order... Now they have gone cold.... It comes and goes....

The hot hitting will return when richy aurilla comes back to play.

RedsMan3203
05-19-2006, 03:19 PM

No, the Reds overall record have brought the site down the past few weeks, it isn't a thread like this.

NJReds
05-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Dunn saying the shift is "unfair" is just pathetic. It is a fair and strategic tactic. It's been used for many years. I haven't heard Bonds or Griffey complain about it. How about GOING THE OTHER WAY for a change Dunner? Not being able to adapt to changes is immature and shows that maybe he doesn't want to be as good as we think he should be.

Sounded to me like he was kidding.:dunno:

Raisor
05-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Not being able to adapt to changes is immature and shows that maybe he doesn't want to be as good as we think he should be.

If players were able to "adapt" like you think they apparently can, then they'd all be Ted Williams.

flyer85
05-19-2006, 03:23 PM
If players were able to "adapt" like you think they apparently can, then they'd all be Ted Williams.Ted never changed his approach, shift or no shift.

kbrake
05-19-2006, 03:24 PM
I have been here for losing streaks before. Lately things have just gone crazy here. The last week or so you would think Dunn has officially replaced Womack as the Redszone whipping boy. I know there will always be people who think he is overrated, but every thread lately has been turned into a 'why Adam Dunn is terrible and must be traded' thread.

RollyInRaleigh
05-19-2006, 03:25 PM
If players were able to "adapt" like you think they apparently can, then they'd all be Ted Williams.

Ted Williams was stubborn in his own right. Then again, Adam Dunn is no Ted Williams.

kyle1976
05-19-2006, 03:26 PM

First of all, Dunn was on Rome 45 minutes ago....are we not supposed to be talking and sharing our opinions on their discussion?

Second, if you can come up with something better to talk about then I'm all for it.

Raisor
05-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Ted never changed his approach, shift or no shift.

I'm just saying that if I was a major league hitter and I could "adjust" I'd "adjust" myself into Ted Williams.

Cuz he was good and stuff.

RollyInRaleigh
05-19-2006, 03:27 PM
I'm just saying that if I was a major league hitter and I could "adjust" I'd "adjust" myself into Ted Williams.

Yes he was.:beerme:

kyle1976
05-19-2006, 03:29 PM
Please, the Reds fast start wasn't because of small ball, it was because everyone in the lineup 1-8 was smacking the ball around the ball park... There wasn't a weak spot in the order... Now they have gone cold.... It comes and goes....

I agree for the most part. I just think it wouldn't hurt to lay a couple of more bunts down and making more of an effort to move some runners over.

I can't wait for RA to return. He's a great baseball player. He does whatever it takes to win.

RedsMan3203
05-19-2006, 03:34 PM
There are times to bunt... This team doesn't have many of those times....

Do you want Adam Dunn, JR, Kearns, EDE, FeLo up there bunting? When they have gap power and can easily hit doubles?

This team has somewhat of a combo of speed and power.. mainly power...

Other then Freel, Lopez, Phillips this team is rather slow... And all 3 of those guys are slap hitters.... Rather have the slapping for basehits, then tryin to bunt for a single....

RollyInRaleigh
05-19-2006, 03:37 PM
I wouldn't characterize Lopez as a slap hitter.

KronoRed
05-19-2006, 03:39 PM
No way, if players were able to adapt like some want they would hit 1.000 every year.

deltachi8
05-19-2006, 03:39 PM
I agree for the most part. I just think it wouldn't hurt to lay a couple of more bunts down and making more of an effort to move some runners over.

I can't wait for RA to return. He's a great baseball player. He does whatever it takes to win.

me thinks someone is trying to hard to stir the pot...

kyle1976
05-19-2006, 03:43 PM
There are times to bunt... This team doesn't have many of those times....

Do you want Adam Dunn, JR, Kearns, EDE, FeLo up there bunting? When they have gap power and can easily hit doubles?

This team has somewhat of a combo of speed and power.. mainly power...

Other then Freel, Lopez, Phillips this team is rather slow... And all 3 of those guys are slap hitters.... Rather have the slapping for basehits, then tryin to bunt for a single....

I agree, there aren't many of times to bunt for this team. But, in very close games, like the Philadelphia series, I think you have to do whatever you can to get the runners over and in. If the score is tied late in the game and you have a runner on first or second and no one out, I would be all for ANY of those guys bunting the guy over. Take one for the team and get the guy over. Especially when the team is slumping and not scoring many runs. Would I rather have a run-scoring double or a home run? Absolutely, but in these tight situations it's better to try to get the one run in.

kyle1976
05-19-2006, 03:48 PM
me thinks someone is trying to hard to stir the pot...

No, I'm not. I just want the Reds to be more fundamentally sound so we can win more often, even when the offense is slumping.

TeamBoone
05-19-2006, 07:39 PM
No, the Reds overall record have brought the site down the past few weeks, it isn't a thread like this.

The Reds overall record is looking pretty darn good. Don't you mean their recent play?

Sounded to me like he was kidding.:dunno:

And that's the key.

For those of us who did not actually hear the conversation, that would be missed. Just like all kinds of stuff in the newspapers/online is taken out of context because we don't actually hear the tone of the conversations/comments being reported.

Joseph
05-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Jungle Karma?

Just saying.

Yachtzee
05-19-2006, 09:18 PM

If I were a major league hitter, I would adjust myself only when it started riding up. I'd try to be a little discrete about it, but chances are, the TV cameras would catch it. They always do.

deltachi8
05-19-2006, 10:14 PM
I agree, there aren't many of times to bunt for this team. But, in very close games, like the Philadelphia series, I think you have to do whatever you can to get the runners over and in. If the score is tied late in the game and you have a runner on first or second and no one out, I would be all for ANY of those guys bunting the guy over. Take one for the team and get the guy over. Especially when the team is slumping and not scoring many runs. Would I rather have a run-scoring double or a home run? Absolutely, but in these tight situations it's better to try to get the one run in.

If the score is tied id rather, much rather take my chances that Dunn, Griff or Kearns hammers an extra base hit that drives in the run or runs than expend an out and expect someone else to do the work.

RedsMan3203
05-19-2006, 10:35 PM
:beerme:

KronoRed
05-19-2006, 10:36 PM
The hitting returned before Rich, I'm telling you..it was Dave Williams :D

kyle1976
05-20-2006, 12:17 AM
what he said

kyred14
05-20-2006, 12:25 AM
You don't have a clue what it takes to be a championship baseball team. You're infatuated by the long ball like a little girl having a crush on a high school boyfriend. Unfortunately, this team won't win it all because they don't consistently do what it takes to win on a daily basis. I wish that wasn't the case.

This team isn't going to win because the pitching sucks eggs. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with offense. Obviously, you don't have a clue what it takes to be a championship baseball team.

RedsMan3203
05-20-2006, 12:26 AM
STL does.....

kyle1976
05-20-2006, 12:36 AM
This team isn't going to win because the pitching sucks eggs. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with offense. Obviously, you don't have a clue what it takes to be a championship baseball team.

By Reds standards, the starting pitching has been great this year. Good enough to contend. The bullpen, however, needs to get much better. My point is, championship teams do all the small things to win games on a consistent basis. Beating teams to a pulp like we did tonight doesn't happen every day. You can't dominate teams on a daily basis. Look at the Reds losing streak. Most games were pretty close where the smallest things changed the outcome of the game. Unfortunately, we weren't doing the small things right. We should've won atleast one of those games against Philly.

TeamBoone
05-20-2006, 01:00 PM
By Reds standards, the starting pitching has been great this year. Good enough to contend. The bullpen, however, needs to get much better. My point is, championship teams do all the small things to win games on a consistent basis. Beating teams to a pulp like we did tonight doesn't happen every day. You can't dominate teams on a daily basis. Look at the Reds losing streak. Most games were pretty close where the smallest things changed the outcome of the game. Unfortunately, we weren't doing the small things right. We should've won atleast one of those games against Philly.

I think by ANYONE's standards Reds pitching has been pretty good this year, with the exception of Williams and a few bad outings by the rest of the staff.

No team wins on a consistent basis... even good teams have bad days periodically and slumps which may last for a week or two at any given time throughout the season... otherwise, they'd win more than 100 games every year and they're not many who do that, if any "on a consistent basis".

You're right, the Reds should have won at least two against Pittsburgh and maybe even the Phillies, but they didn't... and that happens too. All teams have lapses too... the Cards lost 4 in a row just before the Reds started slumping.

The defense will get better and will also have its bad days. The offense will be on more than it's off. If the starting rotation continues to pitch well, with the occasional bad outing and if the bullpen is tweaked just a bit (it actually not quite as bad as you claim), IMHO, the Reds can compete. These players are not robots so please don't expect perfection every time out; it's not going to happen as I'm sure you well know.

But it's a long season. Williams needs to be demoted and a few BP members should as well. Those two things are the biggest detriments at the moment (in my opinion). I think the rest will shake itself out.