PDA

View Full Version : Williams on shaky ground (5/19)

TeamBoone
05-19-2006, 01:32 PM
05-19-2006

Williams on shaky ground
By Marc Lancaster / Post staff reporter

PITTSBURGH - It took Dave Williams only 21 pitches Thursday to lose the benefit of the doubt.

That was when the Reds' bullpen phone rang for the first of many times on a long afternoon at PNC Park, with Williams already trailing 4-0 on the way to a six-run first inning. Elizardo Ramirez began to warm up, and though he ultimately didn't replace Williams until the fourth inning, the Reds' fifth starter can't feel too good about his job security at the moment.

Cincinnati's rally for a 9-8 victory smoothed the edges of the postgame analysis of Williams' work, with both the pitcher himself and manager Jerry Narron plucking out the same positive - that Williams bounced back to throw a scoreless second and third inning before being lifted.

But that didn't change what had happened in the first. Williams hit the first batter he faced, Jose Bautista, then allowed singles to Jack Wilson and Freddy Sanchez to load the bases. Williams' first pitch to cleanup hitter Jason Bay was a 66 mph curveball, and Bay lofted it into the seats in left-center.

Williams then walked Jeromy Burnitz and went to a 3-1 count on the next hitter, Ronny Paulino, before Reds pitching coach Tom Hume got on the horn to bullpen coach Lee Tunnell, sending Ramirez into action.

It was not the kind of showing the Reds were looking for from Williams on the heels of his best start of the season, when he allowed one earned run in 8 1/3 innings against the Phillies last weekend.

"As well as he pitched down in his last outing the other night, it seemed like it was almost the opposite today - everything was up in the zone," Narron said. "The other night, his breaking balls, I think he threw all but five of them for strikes, and all of them were down."

Williams was nowhere near as composed Thursday. The first inning continued with a double by Paulino, an error by catcher Jason LaRue that allowed Jose Hernandez to reach and an RBI single by Jose Castillo before Williams finally settled down and retired the ninth, 10th and 11th men to come to the plate.

"I was trying to stick to my game plan, but when things start to happen, you tend to shy away from it, and I did," said Williams. "It wound up biting me."

The Reds will have to make a roster move Saturday when Eric Milton is activated from the disabled list. The easiest choice would be to send Ramirez back to Louisville to start regularly, which is what he was doing before Milton was injured. But Williams' latest performance, which lifted his ERA to 7.20 in eight starts with 74 baserunners allowed in 40 innings, might give the Reds pause.
http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060519/SPT05/605190325/1027

BRM
05-19-2006, 01:35 PM
which lifted his ERA to 7.20 in eight starts with 74 baserunners allowed in 40 innings

Should the decision on who goes really be that hard? Just look at those numbers above. Just awful.

jimbo
05-19-2006, 02:24 PM
Should the decision on who goes really be that hard? Just look at those numbers above. Just awful.

I agree totally. This should be an easy decision in my eyes.

flyer85
05-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Should be a no-brainer if they are really interested in winning.

Matt700wlw
05-19-2006, 02:30 PM
Send Williams to the minors.......as far down as possible.

roby
05-19-2006, 02:43 PM
we have a pretty good t-ball league in DeGraff,Ohio...but they don't use pitchers. Williams would qualify!

kyle1976
05-19-2006, 02:47 PM
I still think Williams should stay on the roster.......he'd make a great batting practice pitcher keeping our hitters sharp and very, very confident :evil:

cincyinco
05-19-2006, 03:14 PM
Where is Vern Ruhle? Man, I hope he recovers and gets back quick. Seems he has the midus touch when it comes to our staff.

Brandon4MVP
05-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Can williams be sent down to Louisville?

Matt700wlw
05-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Can williams be sent down to Louisville?

I'm pretty sure he has options left.

Jr's Boy
05-19-2006, 03:41 PM
DFA Williams and White,put the Lizard back in the rotation.

Newport Red
05-19-2006, 03:45 PM
If he would only stick to his game plan...;)

KronoRed
05-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Why would we want to do that to poor Louisville? :D

Reds Fanatic
05-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Why would we want to do that to poor Louisville? :DIn one week Louisville could get Williams and Joe Mays. Ouch.

traderumor
05-19-2006, 03:54 PM
If he would only stick to his game plan...;)The question is, what kind of game plan do you have with the lollipops he tosses up there? "Duck after every pitch?" "Keep on toes for liners through the box?" Try to convince the ump that hits over the fence are "poison" and count as outs?

edabbs44
05-19-2006, 04:22 PM
In one week Louisville could get Williams and Joe Mays. Ouch.
In an unrelated story, Louisville's baseball budget doubled to 150 per game.

Ltlabner
05-19-2006, 04:39 PM
I posted on a different thread that they were prob trying to give Williams "one more chance" to get his act together, and kept EZ in the pen so he'd be close at hand.

I'd say after yesterday's debacle he's used up his last chance, along with the last chance of several other pitchers and his last chance for romance.

Have him checked out to see if there is a medical issue. Otherwise, good luck to you buddy.

Lizzard goes right back into the rotation.

fisch11
05-19-2006, 05:25 PM
I'm certainly far from the GM, but it seems like the easy choice to put Williams down and Lizard in the rotation.

Bronson, Harang, Claussen, Ramirez, Milton. The numbers clearly aren't lying for Williams even with his good start last week. Ramirez has shown stronger outings in his stay. Seems simple, but we'll see. It's not my job.

reds44
05-19-2006, 08:39 PM
The fact the Elizardo was warming up in the pen tonight is a good sign for Williams.

Bad sign for the rest of us though.

BoydsOfSummer
05-19-2006, 09:04 PM
That's not shaky ground. That's quicksand. Don't struggle Dave, just relax and let your body float.