PDA

View Full Version : Joey Belle is going to prison

savafan
05-19-2006, 05:33 PM
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/baseball/14616668.htm?source=rss&channel=philly_baseball

Former American League All-Star Albert Belle was arrested on a new stalking charge for allegedly making phone calls to a woman he already was charged with harassing.

The 39-year-old Belle was arrested by Scottsdale, Ariz., police at his home Wednesday after they investigated new allegations that he made calls to his ex-girlfriend, Sgt. Mark Clark said.

Belle was awaiting trial on a felony stalking charge filed in February. The police probable cause statement in that case said that his former girlfriend discovered a global positioning system device that had fallen off her car in January, and that he had threatened her. He was released on bail, subject to electronic monitoring and ordered not to contact her.

Last month, the former girlfriend called police and said she was receiving hangup phone calls, Clark said. Detectives began an investigation and checked phone records, which showed the calls were coming from Belle. Last week, Belle called and spoke with the woman.

"The nature of the conversation was harassing but not threatening," Clark said.

That was enough probable cause to arrest Belle for felony stalking and violating the previous court order, he said. Clark said because Belle is accused of committing another felony while out on bond, he is ineligible for bail in the new case.

The volatile Belle often ran into trouble on and off the field during his playing days.

A five-time All-Star outfielder, Belle hit 381 career home runs in a 12-year career that began with the Cleveland Indians in 1989. He also played for the Chicago White Sox and Baltimore before retiring in 2000 after his second season with the Orioles.

RANDY IN INDY
05-19-2006, 05:51 PM
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert."

An angry man.

Cyclone792
05-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Such a shame that Albert's personality and attitude is what it is. Statistically, he's a borderline Hall of Fame candidate. One of those things where if his personality and attitude was a polar opposite of what it actually is, he'd have a decent shot at Cooperstown, but with the way Albert is, I'd be shocked if he ever gets in.

Spitball
05-19-2006, 06:12 PM
I really think stalking is a mental health issue that needs treatment. Unfortunately, we try to teach the offenders a lesson by putting them in jail where they do not usually receive treatment.

Unassisted
05-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Joey?

Spitball
05-19-2006, 06:26 PM
Joey?

Are you asking why "Joey" was used in the thread title? If so, Albert came up to the bigs as Joey Belle. He changed after he had some behavior problems.

Unassisted
05-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Are you asking why "Joey" was used in the thread title? If so, Albert came up to the bigs as Joey Belle. He changed after he had some behavior problems.Ah, I did not know that. :thumbup:

CrackerJack
05-19-2006, 06:54 PM
A GPS system on her car? What is he, James Bond?

What is wrong with that guy?

redsfanmia
05-19-2006, 07:14 PM
Are you asking why "Joey" was used in the thread title? If so, Albert came up to the bigs as Joey Belle. He changed after he had some behavior problems.
Including alcohol rehab, its actually very disrespectfull to call him Joey. He changed his name to signify his new life and to get a new start.

Chip R
05-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Including alcohol rehab, its actually very disrespectfull to call him Joey. He changed his name to signify his new life and to get a new start.

And that worked out well.

BoydsOfSummer
05-19-2006, 10:21 PM
"Joey I'm not angry anymore..."

macro
05-19-2006, 10:30 PM

http://www.martyspsagradedcards.com/9439.jpg

George Foster
05-19-2006, 10:42 PM
I really think stalking is a mental health issue that needs treatment. Unfortunately, we try to teach the offenders a lesson by putting them in jail where they do not usually receive treatment.
You have to have mental health issues to rob banks as well...it's stupid! I guess you don't put them in jail either. Everybody is a victim.

Deepred05
05-21-2006, 06:49 AM

The problem is they usually don't go to jail until they kill someone. Mental health issue? I have heard the same argument used for child molestors and rapists.

Spitball
05-21-2006, 08:54 AM
You have to have mental health issues to rob banks as well...it's stupid! I guess you don't put them in jail either. Everybody is a victim.

Whoa!!! I did NOT say you shouldn't put them in jail. I'm saying you shouldn't put them in jail without treatment.

This is a subject I have researched quite a bit. A family member has been profoundly affected by a stalker. I know the stalker very well and the situation involves a broken heart, similar to Belle's. He is in jail right now for the third time and, though we all feel more comfortable, I want this young man to get mental help. I have known him for many years and he is basically a good kid. He is not voilent, and in every other way he acts and thinks normally. He just can't seem to get over this broken heart.

Like I said, he has been to jail two times before his current stint. Once for 10 days, once for 90 days, and he is in jail now for five years. Why hasn't this young man received treatment? We've been victimized by his obsessive behavior over and over. Each time he has gotten out of jail, he has called his victim within minutes of being released. Now we wait for him to get out again. The sad part is this was such a good kid with something just not clicking upstairs.

KronoRed
05-21-2006, 04:00 PM
http://www.martyspsagradedcards.com/9439.jpg
Pretty sure I had that card, I believe it ended up traded for some gum :help: