PDA

View Full Version : Narron: Too much interleague play

savafan
05-20-2006, 05:43 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0520redsnotes.html

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

DETROIT | Jerry Narron spent most of his big-league life, as a player, coach and manager, in the American League about two decades. That, though, hasn't made him prejudicial toward American League baseball.

He prefers the National league style, "Having the pitcher bat and everybody being involved in all parts of the game." And, in fact, he isn't much of a fan of interleague play.

"Too much of it," he said. "We play the Cleveland Indians six times and we don't play some of the teams in our league six times. That's a little too much.

"I think it's outstanding the Yankees and Mets and Cubs and White Sox play each other that's awesome," he said. "But I don't think I'd play those series home-and-one in one year. I'd play them once at one place and once the next year at the other spot," he added "That's enough."

Asked if so many interleague games compromises the integrity of the schedule, Narron said, "Yeah, it may. What do we have, three American League teams (Chicago, Kansas City, Cleveland) come to our park and that's nine games."

And the Reds play three in Cleveland and this three-game series in Detroit six on the road giving them 15 interleague games and Narron says, "That's just too many."

Of the DH rule, not used in National League parks for interleague, "It is much more difficult for American League teams to have pitchers bat, even bunt. Some guys are very good at it and some have no chance."

The DH report

Narron is spreading around the designated hitter's job this weekend Javier Valentin Friday, Adam Dunn today, Ken Griffey Jr. Sunday.

Rich Aurilia, off the disabled list, started at third base Friday after Narron contemplated making him Friday's DH.

"Richie said he was OK to play the field and I'm just trying to make sure Javy gets some at-bats," said Narron. With Elizardo Ramirez out of the rotation, Valentin no longer has a designated pitcher to catch.

"I'm trying to make sure Javy gets some at-bats and with two lefthanders facing us after Friday I needed to get him in there," said Narron.

Valentin said he doesn't necessarily relish the DH role, "Because it's not easy, but it is a chance to play. I don't like it, but I'll do my best."

Valentin said he isn't angry that he no longer is in the catching rotation with Jason LaRue and David Ross.

"I haven't talked about that with (Narron) so I'll just prepare myself for any situation come early to work on my defense, work in the bullpen and take extra hitting. I don't get mad when I don't play, even though everybody wants to play."

A-Mays-ing signing

For some obscure reason, the Reds Friday signed righthanded pitcher Joe Mays to a minor-league contract and assigned him to Class AAA Louisville probably because Mays and Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky were in Minnesota together and it was Krivsky who negotiated a four-year $20 million contract for Mays after 2001.

Mays, 30, was 0-4 with a 10.27 earned run average when the Kansas City Royals released him Tuesday. His one good year was 2001 with the Twins when he was 17-13 with a 3.16 earned run average, but has never finished above .500 at any other time.

"He's a sinkerball pitcher and supposed to be a groundball pitcher," said Narron. "I hope he goes to Louisville and pitches well and at some point he comes up and helps us."

Mays is a Bradenton, Fla. native, as is Reds interim pitching coach Tom Hume, who watched Mays grow up, "Because he is a year older than my son, Bradley, and they played against each other in Little League, American Legion and high school."

In another minor-league move, the Reds released outfielder Brian Buchanan, this year's spring training star but a .179 hitter at Louisville.

RedFanAlways1966
05-20-2006, 09:02 AM
It as neat when it first happened. I admit that I was all for it and thought it would be a cool thing. Years later I am tired of it. It is no longer cool, but seems to have become a side-show thing anymore.

I am in favor of stopping interleague play.

Unassisted
05-20-2006, 09:29 AM
I wonder if he'd feel differently if the Reds played the Devil Rays home and home every year. I'm almost certain I would. :D

Tommyjohn25
05-20-2006, 11:47 AM
I've never really been much of a fan of it. For some reason, the games just don't feel "real" to me. I can't really describe it any better than that.

TeamBoone
05-20-2006, 01:37 PM
I think JN has been reading Redszone in his spare time.

Heath
05-20-2006, 01:44 PM
I wonder if he'd feel differently if the Reds played the Devil Rays home and home every year. I'm almost certain I would. :D

Yeah, ask the Cardinals about playing the Royals every year. :rolleyes:

KronoRed
05-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Get rid of it except for 1 3 game series with the Indians each year.

Matt700wlw
05-20-2006, 05:23 PM
"Too much of it," he said. "We play the Cleveland Indians six times and we don't play some of the teams in our league six times. That's a little too much.

I do enjoy interleague play, but he does have a point

Matt700wlw
05-20-2006, 05:24 PM
I've never really been much of a fan of it. For some reason, the games just don't feel "real" to me. I can't really describe it any better than that.

I found myself waiting for someone to pinch hit for Claussen last night....

:doh:

redsrule2500
05-20-2006, 11:43 PM
I wish MLB would just CUT interleague altogether. I hate it.