PDA

View Full Version : Cubs vs White Sox fight!

CTA513
05-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Barrett just got ran over by A.J. Pierzynski at home plate, Barrett got up grabed A.J. and punched in the face!

:eek:

reds44
05-20-2006, 02:03 PM
That was awesome! Brian Anderson was beating the crap out of somebody.

Joseph
05-20-2006, 02:03 PM
This outta be goooood.

CTA513
05-20-2006, 02:04 PM
That was awesome! Brian Anderson was beating the crap out of somebody.

Nice job the rookie to jump right in after he saw what was going on.

:thumbup:

reds44
05-20-2006, 02:06 PM
It was Mabry who he was beating down. Podsednike took out Barret after Barret sucker punched Pierzynski.

CTA513
05-20-2006, 02:14 PM
It looked like A.J. could have slid into home without having to run over Barrett, but A.J. didnt help the situation out by slapping the homeplate after knocking Barrett down.

Cubs needed to be fired up and if this didnt do it then nothing will.

reds44
05-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Hill just threw one over Podsednik's head!

CTA513
05-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Iguchi ruins everything by hitting a grandslam.

:)

CTA513
05-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Heres who got ejected today:
Chicago Cubs left fielder John Mabry ejected by 2B umpire Charlie Reliford. (2nd); Chicago White Sox catcher A. J. Pierzynski ejected by 2B umpire Charlie Reliford. (3rd); Chicago Cubs catcher Michael Barrett ejected by 2B umpire Charlie Reliford. (2nd); Chicago White Sox center fielder Brian Anderson ejected by 2B umpire Charlie Reliford. (3rd).

Im sure some other guys will get suspened once they review the video.

traderumor
05-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Oh man, I almost turned on this game. Barrett acts like a big spoiled brat, always looking to fight someone about something. He was in the middle of the Astros war last year also.

Dunner44
05-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Did hill get a warning from the ump? Another ejection would make me laugh even harder.

reds44
05-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Did hill get a warning from the ump? Another ejection would make me laugh even harder.
Why would he?

Chip R
05-20-2006, 02:46 PM

I do not think so. It was just a big curve ball that Podsenik just had to bend over to get out of the way of.

CTA513
05-20-2006, 02:46 PM
Reds play the Cubs May 29-31, it would be nice to have Barretts bat out of the line up during that series.

Dunner44
05-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Why would he?

I just figgured the ump could construe that as an attempt at retaliation... anyway, here's some pics:

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/CXS101052014_lower.jpg

And the zoom in:

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/baseball/mlb/05/20/bc.bbo.cubs.whitesoxbra.ap/p1_052006_sox_ap.jpg

And a link to the AP story:

Cubs/Sox Fight (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/05/20/bc.bbo.cubs.whitesoxbra.ap/index.html)

Buckeye33
05-20-2006, 02:58 PM
If anyone finds the video of this brawl, please post a link. I've seen the replays and it was a good old brawl.

CTA513
05-20-2006, 03:06 PM
I dont know when this happened but...
A.J. Pierzynski walks on Aaron Boones back: http://boonewalk.ytmnd.com/

CTA513
05-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Someone already has the fight on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctsYoWLgtuY

A.J. gets punched, backs up and watchs his team fight...

Dunner44
05-20-2006, 03:23 PM
Another article, this one from MLB.com

Cubs/Sox Fight (MLB.com) (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060520&content_id=1462906&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

Tommyjohn25
05-20-2006, 03:28 PM
:laugh: :laugh: That is pretty funny stuff! Good fight as far as baseball fights go.

Outshined_One
05-20-2006, 03:31 PM
It boiled down to this:

AJ Alphabet came running home hard on a sac fly. Despite the ball being about a bounce or two away from Barrett, AJP came in hard, lifted a forearm to Barrett's head, and levelled him. AJ got up and slammed his hand down on home plate in celebration. He then got up, made a celebratory gesture with his arm, then walked towards Barrett, bumping into him.

Barrett hugged AJP, said a few words, then jacked him in the jaw. Podsednik came in to try and break it up, took an elbow to the head, then finally tackled Barrett.

Meanwhile, Brian Anderson and John Mabry decided to mix it up.

Hilarious brawl, overall. Barrett was a moron for responding like that to AJP, but he couldn't have done it to a nicer guy.

FindlayRed
05-20-2006, 03:31 PM
If anyone deserves to be punched it is AJ. I remember hearing about what a bad teammate he is and his poor attitude.

CTA513
05-20-2006, 03:33 PM
It boiled down to this:

Meanwhile, Brian Anderson and John Mabry decided to mix it up.

It looked like Mabry was trying to break it up and Brian Anderson started swinging at him.

CrackerJack
05-20-2006, 03:35 PM
That punch in the face was bush - Piersynzski gave him a love tap at home - he's lucky he didn't get plowed.

foltza
05-20-2006, 03:51 PM
that punch in the face looked warranted to me, and that's without even knowing what words were exchanged, which probably weren't pleasant

Hap
05-20-2006, 04:12 PM
The take-out may have been excessive and the punch may have been warranted. But, it was also a sucker punch. He should have given AJP a chance to put up his dukes and fight. At that point, anything goes. But don't be a <blank> willow and sucker punch him like a kid in junior high school.

Matt700wlw
05-20-2006, 04:13 PM
Damn! I missed it!!

KYRedsFan
05-20-2006, 04:13 PM
Barret and the rest of the cubs are joke. They took a beating in the fight and on the field. Love it. And AJ had this reputation as a poor sport for sure, but since being in Chicago, has been nothing but class and the clubhouse/fans love him. Poor poor Cubbies.

KronoRed
05-20-2006, 04:19 PM
I do not pity the cubs :lol:

Spitball
05-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Barret and the rest of the cubs are joke. They took a beating in the fight and on the field. Love it. And AJ had this reputation as a poor sport for sure, but since being in Chicago, has been nothing but class and the clubhouse/fans love him. Poor poor Cubbies.

What happened? Did he go to Jerk Management classes or something? The guy might not be getting publicity for being a jerk, but I have a hard time believing he's changed that much after watching the seemingly unnecessary collision and the plate slapping celebration. The guy once kneed a trainer in the crotch, refused to leave a card game in order to go over batters, and has had an arrogant attitude. It's funny how winning a championship can change public opinion of a guy.

harangatang
05-20-2006, 07:00 PM
If anyone deserves to be punched it is AJ. I remember hearing about what a bad teammate he is and his poor attitude.A girl I used to go to school with is from Minnesota and she said she and some of her friends ran into Luis Rivas one night at a restaurant. They were talking about Pierzynski and he said to her that everyone on the team was so relieved when he was traded to San Francisco. He said that A.J. couldn't get along with anyone and always caused problems.

dabvu2498
05-20-2006, 07:09 PM
I don't think anybody likes AJP, except maybe those guys he helped win a ring last year.

Still, that's no excuse for a cheapshot like Barrett threw at him.

I'm also ticked because I'm going to lose Barrett from my fantasy team for a few games worth of suspension.

harangatang
05-20-2006, 07:23 PM
Still, that's no excuse for a cheapshot like Barrett threw at him.Why, shouldn't a man be excused for defending himself? I can say that I would've done the same thing in that situation because I hate people like that. The Cubs are playing .400 ball right now and I'm sure A.J. was making fun of the Cubs, no doubt in my mind. He got what he deserved.

KYRedsFan
05-20-2006, 07:27 PM
What happened? Did he go to Jerk Management classes or something? The guy might not be getting publicity for being a jerk, but I have a hard time believing he's changed that much after watching the seemingly unnecessary collision and the plate slapping celebration. The guy once kneed a trainer in the crotch, refused to leave a card game in order to go over batters, and has had an arrogant attitude. It's funny how winning a championship can change public opinion of a guy.

Guy lays out for an important run in a huge series, shows some emotion at the same time. Don't get the criticism of his play. We loved Pete when he did it. That run was key at the time, Sox hadn't blown it open yet. Nothing but good during his stay in Chicago.

Chip R
05-20-2006, 08:25 PM
The Cubs are playing .400 ball right now and I'm sure A.J. was making fun of the Cubs, no doubt in my mind. He got what he deserved.

He was making fun of the Cubs? I do not see a problem. :dunno:

Red in Chicago
05-20-2006, 08:32 PM
after seeing the two of them being interviewed, it was clear that barrett simply overreacted...he got his butt ran over in a hard nosed play by aj...good old fashioned baseball if you ask me.

cincinnati chili
05-20-2006, 08:56 PM
Let's get one thing straight, I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE Pierzynski.

But it really showed a lack of character for Barrett to sucker punch a guy who didn't even have his arms raised in defense.

Spitball
05-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Guy lays out for an important run in a huge series, shows some emotion at the same time. Don't get the criticism of his play. We loved Pete when he did it. That run was key at the time, Sox hadn't blown it open yet. Nothing but good during his stay in Chicago.

I believe the score was 5 to zip and the Cubs are banged up and really struggling..

BTW, you can bet AJP learned his lesson about celebrating after bowling over a catcher like that.

Chip R
05-20-2006, 09:47 PM
I believe the score was 5 to zip and the Cubs are banged up and really struggling..

BTW, you can bet AJP learned his lesson about celebrating after bowling over a catcher like that.

Actually that was the first run of the game. And so what if the Cubs are banged up and strugging. Should the Sox take pity on them?

KYRedsFan
05-20-2006, 10:35 PM
That was the first run of the game. Iguchi merely slammed the nail in a couple spots later to make it 5-0. Go Sox.

KronoRed
05-21-2006, 04:55 AM
Looked to me like he was even more fired up, he might do it again ;) Barrett deserves a nice long suspension.

RedFanAlways1966
05-21-2006, 09:43 AM
Looked to me like he was even more fired up, he might do it again ;) Barrett deserves a nice long suspension.

Yes, Barrett deserves 30 days IMO. No one... I said no one... should be allowed to punch another player in the face like that. I do not care what he did. Esp. what AJ did... collison at plate (happens in the game), celebrates that he made it (happens in the game). Punching someopne in the face in a gutless fashion does not happen in the game and should be punished with no remorse.

I do not care about AJ's reputation. I do not care about what might have been said by AJ to Barrett after Barrett heightened the situation by grabbing AJ as AJ was going to his dugout. He punched him and he did it in a wuss-like way. Barrett needs to grow some baseballs between his legs or something.

BTW... I read Barrett's post-game comments this morning and I give him credit. He admitted that he should not have done what he did.

westofyou
05-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Jim Brewer - Ya wanna fight

Billy Martin - Nah kid, I'm just out here to get my bat.

westofyou
05-21-2006, 11:48 AM
On July 4, 1932 Bill Dickey is suspended for 30 days and fined $1,000 for breaking the jaw of the Senators' Carl Reynolds with one punch, after a collision at home plate.

RedFanAlways1966
05-21-2006, 12:11 PM
On July 4, 1932 Bill Dickey is suspended for 30 days and fined $1,000 for breaking the jaw of the Senators' Carl Reynolds with one punch, after a collision at home plate.

Good stuff, woy.

I'll bet... Dickey did not have the wonderful Union defending his punch and requesting a hearing that would be required before the punishment can happen. ;)

Team Clark
05-21-2006, 12:14 PM
This is one of the better brawls in the past 5 years. An actual punch landing gives this 4 stars.

Most of the good brawls I can remember involved the Reds but this one was good. In the 90's I attended two Reds games in which Dibble started brawls. He actually was getting choked at home plate in one of them.

I have on tape a great brawl in Houston when Ron Gant took Pat Borders to the cleaners. Another fight ensued a few innings later.

I used to have tape of Junior slinging his bat at Mark Langston after Langston threw two pitches behind his head. If memory serves, the bat hit the mound and clipped Langston.

I remember another doozie in NY when Dibble pounded Teufel in the middle of the back enciting another bar room type brawl.

Strawberry going into the dugout and punching someone was pretty wild too. I believe he was a Yankee at the time.

My favorite player ejection was Carl Everett as a Red Sox head butting the umpire. To be honest I felt the ump deserved it. I know that is not a popular position and I certainly would never condone that behavior from any player. I just felt that guy had it coming.

Hap
05-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Let us compare the collision to a typical collision between a running back and a strong safety in a football (at any level) game. If the safety makes a good play, he gets up and talks some trash and celebrates with his teammates. The guy who gets tackled picks himself up and maybe talks some trash right back and then goes back to the huddle. He does not walk over to the safety and sucker punch him in the face like he is in junior high school.

vaticanplum
05-21-2006, 08:58 PM
I was there. I am, of course, predisposed to dislike the Cubs, but I am inclined to think that my extreme distaste for this team and its attitude is only vindicated by this incident and not a precursor for how I saw it. AJ was doing his job. He was doing it snottily and pointedly, but he did nothing inherently wrong. He was WALKING AWAY from home plate, and Barrett grabbed him, pulled him back, and nailed him in the face. There is absolutely no excuse for that. Pierzynski takes a lot of crap for his behavior. In my opinion he is brash and arrogant but rarely out of line, and off the field apparently one of the nicest White Sox in terms of the fans and a favorite in the clubhouse. I know he was hated in San Francisco, but perhaps the team just wasn't a fit for him which is hardly surprising given the presence of a certain other player in San Francisco with a slight reputation for arrogance. It's possible that both of those egos simply couldn't be contained there.

And yet somehow AJ seems to have garnered this reputation that makes it ok for people to do stuff like this to him in the eyes of many fans. What Barrett did was immature, inexcusable, pointless and dangerous, and the very worst of the machismo side of baseball that I try to pretend doesn't exist lest incidents like this override my love for the game.

And then today, Pierzynski nails a solo home run -- once again just doing his job, and doing it well for that matter -- to tie the game at 2-2, and Zambrano, who's pitching, freaks out and start threatening the Sox bench, saying he's going to nail a White Sox in the back. Guillen comes out, the umps have to calm everybody, and another brawl is just barely avoided. Perhaps something aside from Pierzynski irritated Zambrano; I didn't see anything else, and if so, I don't really care. WTF, seriously. Carlos Zambrano is a complete nutjob, and doesn't seem to incur the wrath that people like Pierzynski does. Why? Because he can pitch? I had someone argue to me that Zambrano is not that bad because he only freaks out when he's pitching poorly, ie. he's perfectly calm when he's doing well. So let's give Zambrano a hand for attaining the maturity level of a two-year-old, shall we? At this point, actions such as that are nothing short of sore loserdom in my eyes, utterly tasteless and classless. I'm dead serious, if Zambrano were on my team he would have been shipped out by now, I don't care how many strikeouts he can throw. If you're going to lose, at least lose with some grace and with fistfights kept to a minimum.

Cedric
05-21-2006, 09:20 PM
I was there. I am, of course, predisposed to dislike the Cubs, but I am inclined to think that my extreme distaste for this team and its attitude is only vindicated by this incident and not a precursor for how I saw it. AJ was doing his job. He was doing it snottily and pointedly, but he did nothing inherently wrong. He was WALKING AWAY from home plate, and Barrett grabbed him, pulled him back, and nailed him in the face. There is absolutely no excuse for that. Pierzynski takes a lot of crap for his behavior. In my opinion he is brash and arrogant but rarely out of line, and off the field apparently one of the nicest White Sox in terms of the fans and a favorite in the clubhouse. I know he was hated in San Francisco, but perhaps the team just wasn't a fit for him which is hardly surprising given the presence of a certain other player in San Francisco with a slight reputation for arrogance. It's possible that both of those egos simply couldn't be contained there.

And yet somehow AJ seems to have garnered this reputation that makes it ok for people to do stuff like this to him in the eyes of many fans. What Barrett did was immature, inexcusable, pointless and dangerous, and the very worst of the machismo side of baseball that I try to pretend doesn't exist lest incidents like this override my love for the game.

And then today, Pierzynski nails a solo home run -- once again just doing his job, and doing it well for that matter -- to tie the game at 2-2, and Zambrano, who's pitching, freaks out and start threatening the Sox bench, saying he's going to nail a White Sox in the back. Guillen comes out, the umps have to calm everybody, and another brawl is just barely avoided. Perhaps something aside from Pierzynski irritated Zambrano; I didn't see anything else, and if so, I don't really care. WTF, seriously. Carlos Zambrano is a complete nutjob, and doesn't seem to incur the wrath that people like Pierzynski does. Why? Because he can pitch? I had someone argue to me that Zambrano is not that bad because he only freaks out when he's pitching poorly, ie. he's perfectly calm when he's doing well. So let's give Zambrano a hand for attaining the maturity level of a two-year-old, shall we? At this point, actions such as that are nothing short of sore loserdom in my eyes, utterly tasteless and classless. I'm dead serious, if Zambrano were on my team he would have been shipped out by now, I don't care how many strikeouts he can throw. If you're going to lose, at least lose with some grace and with fistfights kept to a minimum.

If Zambrano was on my team I would wake up every morning and thank the baseball gods.

CTA513
05-21-2006, 09:34 PM
If Zambrano was on my team I would wake up every morning and thank the baseball gods.

:thumbup:

ThatPitchIsDunn
05-21-2006, 09:42 PM
I was there. I am, of course, predisposed to dislike the Cubs, but I am inclined to think that my extreme distaste for this team and its attitude is only vindicated by this incident and not a precursor for how I saw it. AJ was doing his job. He was doing it snottily and pointedly, but he did nothing inherently wrong. He was WALKING AWAY from home plate, and Barrett grabbed him, pulled him back, and nailed him in the face. There is absolutely no excuse for that.

On top of all this, his helmet came off in the collision; he was going to retrieve it when Barrett grabbed him.

As much of a well-noted mouth-off AJ seems to be, I have to say I loved him in the dugout afterward hitting his own face and getting all fired up, showing the punch didn't faze him. Sometimes you need to show that you won't just wilt at a cheap shot.

penantboundreds
05-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Interesting play...Barrett hopefully gets 10 games. I say this, and I know it is low, after hearing him after the game. He should do some community service about playing the game the right way to some little leaguers. He is a good guy with good intentions for the game (barrettfletcher baseball) and he seemed like he was just dazed and did not realize AJ was just playing hard, I believe the hit just knocked him out in a sense. He apologized and 10 games should suit him.

harangatang
05-22-2006, 12:26 AM
He was making fun of the Cubs? I do not see a problem. :dunno:The Cubs suck this year no doubt but when you start mouthing off after all the events that transpired you can't expect Barrett to just calmly brush things off. It's just kind of like the rich kid getting mouthed off by the poor kid and the poor kid knocks the rich kid to the ground. I don't blame Barrett, A.J.'s actions were out of line and he got what he had coming to him. If you're going to dance you got to pay the piper. Paying the piper in this case was a deserved punch to the face for A.J. If A.J. would have gotten up and not said anything none of the events would have transpired after the incident. Instead, he gets a punch, his other teammates get in fights, and sheds a bad light on the White Sox which then sheds bad light on the Cubs. Not to mention he apparantly hadn't had enough so he makes fun of Zambrano today after he crosses home plate. What an absolute jerk and a bad example for all of mankind.

vaticanplum
05-22-2006, 12:40 AM
I don't blame Barrett, A.J.'s actions were out of line and he got what he had coming to him. If you're going to dance you got to pay the piper. Paying the piper in this case was a deserved punch to the face for A.J. If A.J. would have gotten up and not said anything none of the events would have transpired after the incident. Instead, he gets a punch, his other teammates get in fights, and sheds a bad light on the White Sox which then sheds bad light on the Cubs. Not to mention he apparantly hadn't had enough so he makes fun of Zambrano today after he crosses home plate. What an absolute jerk and a bad example for all of mankind.

Where are you getting your information about Pierzynski? People have different versions of events.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060521&content_id=1465479&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Pierzynski claims he was not "making fun" of Zambrano and even Zambrano himself admits that he couldn't hear what, if anything, Pierzynski was saying to him. As for Barrett, there were no words from AJ there, questionable actions perhaps, but nothing warranting such a punch. And he did nothing in retaliation to either of these events, which shows a lot more class than what the Cubs did.

I think he has a bad rap, some of it deserved, but I think that it causes people to feel they have a free pass to treat him any way they want at any time and chalk it up to his reputation. Apparently, these people are successful.

harangatang
05-22-2006, 01:07 AM
Where are you getting your information about Pierzynski? People have different versions of events.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060521&content_id=1465479&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Pierzynski claims he was not "making fun" of Zambrano and even Zambrano himself admits that he couldn't hear what, if anything, Pierzynski was saying to him. As for Barrett, there were no words from AJ there, questionable actions perhaps, but nothing warranting such a punch. And he did nothing in retaliation to either of these events, which shows a lot more class than what the Cubs did.

I think he has a bad rap, some of it deserved, but I think that it causes people to feel they have a free pass to treat him any way they want at any time and chalk it up to his reputation. Apparently, these people are successful.If I am wrong in my facts in a circumstance similar to this please correct me and thank you for doing that. I agree that if Pierzynski did nothing and got that kind of response that Barrett is in the wrong and A.J. showed much more class.

Outshined_One
05-22-2006, 01:32 AM

Go back and watch the replay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l_1jv3D9cg&search=Barrett%20Sox), AJ didn't come out like a saint. The play at the plate was legal, but after that he did some questionable things. Slamming home plate in celebration with his hand was one of them. When he got up, he walked away from his own dugout and bumped Barrett, be it by accident or on purpose. I'm inclined to believe that he was going to retrieve his helmet since he and Barrett are apparently friends off the field, but I could be wrong.

I'm curious to see what Brian Anderson ends up getting. If you watch him on the replay, he goes nuts throwing haymakers at Barrett and Mabry.