PDA

View Full Version : Time for the Preakness - let's hear your picks

jmcclain19
05-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Just a few hours until the second leg of the Triple Crown, the Preakness at Pimlico kicks off.

Lets hear who everyone picked.

To attempt to win some money, I bet 12 superfectas - with Barbaro winning 11 of those 12 and Sweetnorthernsaint winning 1.

The 2nd thru 4ths slots in all 12 of my bets are a mix of Like Now, Bernardini, Brother Derek and Sweetnorthernsaint.

Here in the field

http://www.drf.com/tc/preakness/2006/preaknessstakes.html

reds1869
05-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Barbaro is the likely winner, but I would lay down on Sweetnorthernsaint if I were betting today. Of course, the fun loving side of me would go with Diabolical.

KronoRed
05-20-2006, 05:27 PM
No Steppenwolfer? awww :(

Chip R
05-20-2006, 07:24 PM
Barbaro pulled up lame not long after he left the gate. Looks like a back right leg problem. Not good.

jmcclain19
05-20-2006, 07:30 PM
They just had the track vet on who examed Barbaro right after the injury on the track. Said it looked "significant". Not sure if it was life threatening, but certainly career ending and tramatic.

Terrible news - never want to see that.

Reds4Life
05-20-2006, 07:31 PM
His career is probably over. Hopefully it isn't something that will require him to be put down.

dabvu2498
05-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Not bragging, but I've seen enough horse injuries (unfortunately) to educatedly guess that his ankle is broken. Not likely life-threatening.

Hopefully a high-profile incident like this will cause more tracks to convert to the poly-track substance they are using at Turfway park and Keeneland.

Reds4Life
05-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Not bragging, but I've seen enough horse injuries (unfortunately) to educatedly guess that his ankle is broken. Not likely life-threatening.

Hopefully a high-profile incident like this will cause more tracks to convert to the poly-track substance they are using at Turfway park and Keeneland.

The leg is fractured above and below the ankle and requires major surgery.

Brandon4MVP
05-20-2006, 09:39 PM
They said a human would have to spend 6 weeks in bed with a comparible fracture.

KronoRed
05-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Poor horse :(

Red Heeler
05-21-2006, 08:36 AM

Elimination of toe grabs would be even better.

jmcclain19
05-21-2006, 05:02 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/news?slug=ap-barbaro-surgery&prov=ap&type=lgns

Barbaro in surgery for 'life-threatening injuries'
By RICHARD ROSENBLATT, AP Racing Writer

KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. (AP) -- Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro was in surgery Sunday fighting for his life a day after breaking his right rear leg in three places at the Preakness, and the colt's surgeon said he's never worked on so many catastrophic injuries to one horse.

Dr. Dean Richardson was operating at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center for Large Animals and said the procedure could take several hours. There was no update after two hours of surgery.

At the front gate, well-wishers already had tacked up signs: "Thank you, Barbaro," "Believe in Barbaro" and "We Love you Barbaro."

Barbaro sustained "life-threatening injuries" after breaking bones above and below his right rear ankle at the start of the Preakness Stakes.

"You do not see this severe injury frequently because the fact is most horses that suffer this typically are put down on the race track," said Richardson, the chief of surgery for the center. "This is rare."

"It's about as bad as it could be," he added. "The main thing going for the horse is a report that his skin was not broken at the time of injury. It's a testament to the care given to the team of doctors on the track and (jockey) Mr. Prado on the racetrack."

Richardson outlined Barbaro's medical problems: a broken cannon bone above the ankle, a broken sesamoid bone behind the ankle and a broken long pastern bone below the ankle. The fetlock joint -- the ankle -- was dislocated.

"The aspects of the surgery will be dictated slightly by what we find," Richardson said. "But the bottom line is we will attempt to perform a fusion of that joint and to stabilize it and make it comfortable enough for him to walk on."

Unbeaten and a serious contender for the Triple Crown, Barbaro broke down only a few hundred yards into the 1 3-16-mile Preakness. With his right leg flaring out grotesquely, the record crowd of 118,402 watched in shock as Barbaro veered sideways. Jockey Edgar Prado pulled the powerful colt to a halt, jumped off and awaited medical assistance.

Barbaro was fitted for an inflatable cast by the attending veterinarian, Dr. Nicholas Meittinis, and the colt trained so expertly by Michael Matz was taken to the center, known as the University of Pennsylvania's George D. Widener Hospital New Bolton Center.

Barbara Dallap, a clinician at the center, was present when Barbaro arrived Saturday night.

"When we unloaded him, he was placed in intensive care and we stabilized him overnight," Dallap said. "He was very brave and well behaved under the situation and was comfortable overnight."

Matz, too, was at the center Saturday night.

"Two weeks ago we were on such a high and this is our worst nightmare," he said. "Hopefully, everything will go well with the operation and we'll be able to save him."

Tucked away on a sprawling, lush 650-acre campus in Chester County, the New Bolton Center is widely considered the top hospital for horses in the mid-Atlantic region. The center is renowned for its specialized care, especially on animals needing complicated surgery on bone injuries.

Red Heeler
05-22-2006, 03:12 PM
http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=33671

After Successful Surgery, Barbaro's Chances Remain 'Coin Toss'

Veterinary surgeon Dean Richardson and trainer Michael Matz flashed smiles during a press briefing that followed afternoon-long surgery Sunday to repair the right hind ankle of classic winner Barbaro that was severely injured one day earlier in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I) at Pimlico. Barbaro was standing and eating in a recovery stall following the surgery at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center in Kennett Square, Pa.
While the surgery to repair the damaged area and fuse the ankle was considered a success, Richardson cautioned that, because of numerous complications during recovery, Barbaro still has a long road to go for survival. "To be brutally honest, there's still enough chance for things going bad he's still a coin toss probably," Richardson said, "even after everything went well (during surgery)."

Richardson, who led the surgical team, said the son of Dynaformer was in surgery for about seven hours. He said one reason the procedure took so long was the amount of time to prepare the colt for surgery and the recovery time to allow the anesthesia to wear off.

Richardson said a procedure to fuse the fetlock joint – the ankle – was successful. A device called a locking compression plate, or LCP, was employed to stabilize the injured area, with 23 screws used on the 16-hole plate. A cast was then fitted on the leg, enclosing the hoof and running up to just below the hock.

"He got up from anesthesia without any injuries," Richardson said of Roy and Gretchen Jackson's colt, winner of the May 6 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I). "The most important thing to emphasize is that this is just the absolute first step in any kind of case like this. Getting the horse up is a big step, but it is not the last step by any means."

He said horses with injuries such as Barbaro's are "susceptible to other problems, including infection at the site because of the severity of injury and the amount of metal put in the leg to fix it and that horses are very vulnerable to laminitis or problems in the opposite foot. These are all major concerns we have. At this moment, he is very comfortable in his leg. He practically jogged back to his stall. He pulled us back to his stall. Right now, he is very happy. He is eating. Things right now are good, but I've been doing this too long to know that day one is not the end of things."

Richardson said one of his major concerns - that the blood flow in the areas of the injury had been cut off - was quickly dismissed when the doctors determined "he had good pulses in his feet, good warm periphery. When we did the procedure, he had good blood supply throughout."

A sling and monorail system were used to lift and transport Barbaro before, during, and after the surgery. When the procedures were completed, he was lowered by the sling into a recovery pool.

The horse is lifted up in the sling he's been wearing the whole time, and put into a giant rubber raft that has legs in it," said Richardson, who noted the device is similar to a Zodiac raft except that it has four legs underneath that descend into the water. "The horse is in the raft, its leg are immersed down in the water, but it's staying dry because it's inside this raft. The horse then wakes completely up from anesthesia. The idea is that, if it struggles, it can't hurt itself because it is struggling against the resistance of the water (kept at about 97 degrees)."

When he was ready to be taken out of the recovery pool, Barbaro was blindfolded, lifted out with the sling, and moved to another stall.

Barbaro will remain at the New Bolton Center for "several weeks at the very least," Richardson said. "It's a long rehab."

After that, if things go well, Barbaro would begin a very gradual return to exercise, beginning with closely controlled walking. "Even if everything went perfectly," he said, "that will be many months from now."

Unbeaten and a serious contender for the Triple Crown, Barbaro broke down only a few hundred yards into the 1 3/16-mile Preakness. With his right leg flaring out grotesquely, the record crowd of 118,402 watched in shock as Barbaro veered sideways. Jockey Edgar Prado pulled the powerful colt to a halt, jumped off, and awaited medical assistance.

Barbaro was fitted with a stabilizing splint by the attending veterinarian, Dr. Nicholas Meittinis, and taken to the center, known as the University of Pennsylvania's George D. Widener Hospital New Bolton Center. Barbara Dallap, a clinician at the center, was present when Barbaro arrived Saturday night.

"When we unloaded him, he was placed in intensive care, and we stabilized him overnight," Dallap said. "He was very brave and well behaved under the situation and was comfortable overnight."

Deirdre Biles also contributed to this story.
Photo insets by Sabina Pierce/Courtesy of the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine New Bolton Center.

TeamBoone
05-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Barbaro's story is so heart breaking. He's such a beautiful beautiful animal.

Nugget
05-22-2006, 10:02 PM
Along with Mike Katz himself.

Red Heeler
05-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Amazing job done by the surgeons. I am very proud of my profession right now.

http://i.a.cnn.net./si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0605/gallery.barbaro/images/gallery4.jpg

Red Leader
05-23-2006, 03:03 PM
That's incredible.

dabvu2498
05-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Wow... I've never seen anything like that.

KronoRed
05-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Wow.

Lucky horse.