PDA

View Full Version : What will Kearns net the Reds?

Falls City Beer
05-21-2006, 04:44 PM
If his OPS tilts down to career norms: .830, say? With 12 homers? 45 RBIs?--by the deadline?

(I mention the more traditional stats, as many GMs still value those things). I don't think he gets us much, if the way he's trending continues.

Whom do you trade in lieu of or in addition to Kearns? Who are your targets?

M2
05-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Don't know exactly what I'd be asking, but both St. Louis and Houston need a bat in the corner OF. The Braves theoretically could use him, though pitching has to be their priority. Everyone in the AL West could use him. The Angels are the most interesting team in terms of a potential return. The Twins would have been a great trading partner, but their starting pitching outside of Johan Santana is pushing up the daisies.

Falls City Beer
05-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Don't know exactly what I'd be asking, but both St. Louis and Houston need a bat in the corner OF. The Braves theoretically could use him, though pitching has to be their priority. Everyone in the AL West could use him. The Angels are the most interesting team in terms of a potential return. The Twins would have been a great trading partner, but their starting pitching outside of Johan Santana is pushing up the daisies.

I'd contend that the Cards will get plenty of production from Rodriguez and Encarnacion--at least production on the level of Kearns. The Stros could use him. The Braves not really. The Twins, yes.

But the Angels definitely. They look to be the ripest tree. Whom would you target from them?

TheBigLebowski
05-21-2006, 06:39 PM
I'd contend that the Cards will get plenty of production from Rodriguez and Encarnacion--at least production on the level of Kearns. The Stros could use him. The Braves not really. The Twins, yes.

But the Angels definitely. They look to be the ripest tree. Whom would you target from them?

IF I'm shopping Kearns to the Halos, Ervin Santana would be my desired return.

This, of course, is accepting the premise that trading Kearns is a good idea. I reject that premise. I think he's finally coming into his own this year, and will be a cornerstone of this franchise for years to come.

I would be much more amicable to the idea of trading JR or Dunn. Both of those guys would likely net a higher return, and everyone's favorite backup QB Chris Denorfia (who is probably hooking up with your girlfriend while you read this post) could finally get some decent flow time.

cincinnati chili
05-21-2006, 07:41 PM
The Twins would have been a great trading partner, but their starting pitching outside of Johan Santana is pushing up the daisies.

I take it that you think Bonsor is a flash in the pan?

Not that he alone is a fair return for Austin, but I like the guy alright.

M2
05-21-2006, 07:43 PM

Ervin Santana is the usual suspect, but I've always been sort of blah about him. Jered Weaver's going off like a bomb this season.

The guy who's always fascinated me in that organization is Erick Aybar. He'll need to spend the rest of the season in AAA, but he's got an electric game and he can make the mind-blowing play at SS. Jeff Mathis didn't fare well in his first introduction to the majors, but the Reds could really use a young catcher like him.

There's also a kid named Jose Arredondo putting up some interesting numbers in Rancho Cucamonga, which is one of the least pitcher-friendly parks in the minors. He looks like he's a bit of a wild man, but he might be an arm to get as a throw-in.

I wouldn't want Kendry Morales or Howie Kendrick, because they've got severe defensive limitations.

M2
05-21-2006, 07:51 PM
I take it that you think Bonsor is a flash in the pan?

Not that he alone is a fair return for Austin, but I like the guy alright.

Bonser's interesting in that he's finally having a big season after a forgettable career to date. He's never been bad, but he also hasn't been this good before. Is that due to this being his second season in AAA? Is it a problem even if that is the reason?

Hard to say. His size can work for or against him. That he's a big guy could either mean that he's got the makings of a workhorse or it could mean his fondness for the Pringles will cause him to break down.

Glen Perkins really interests me. Adam Harben was high on my hit list, but his K rate's dropped and I fear that might indicate he's got an arm problem. Pat Neshek, who is destroying AAA as a reliever, would be a great guy to get. J.D. Durbin might have a future as a short man too. Kevin Slowey and Matt Garza are having nearly fictional seasons in the FSL.

cincinnati chili
05-21-2006, 08:00 PM
It seems like Minnesota has some great properties in the low to mid minors. If we send Kearns packing, I think that it will be hard for Krivsky to justify it to the fans unless a guy is near ready. Garza is not near ready, but is really promising. I think he's up to the Eastern League now, or if not, he will be soon.

MartyFan
05-21-2006, 08:10 PM
I trade almost anyone for an Ace arm...though our arms have not been the problem this year...the problem has been the bats, lack of plate discipline and inability to get the runners on base in.

So, should we look for a fielder or pitching at this point?

M2
05-21-2006, 08:13 PM
It seems like Minnesota has some great properties in the low to mid minors. If we send Kearns packing, I think that it will be hard for Krivsky to justify it to the fans unless a guy is near ready. Garza is not near ready, but is really promising. I think he's up to the Eastern League now, or if not, he will be soon.

What I'm really liking about Krivsky is that he doesn't seem to let such esoteric concerns rattle him.

He seems to move with confidence and, more than anything, that will settle the fanbase. To a degree, he doesn't seem the type that looks to justify anything. He trades Pena for Arroyo and sets fire to almost every player DanO acquired and never gives the impression that he's looking over his shoulder for approval. Over the years we've seen fans attempt to rationalize that everything the Reds have done is a good idea.

If another team makes Krivsky an offer he likes for Kearns, whether it's someone who can produce today or a raft of talent for tomorrow, my guess is he'll pull the trigger and then tell fans why they should like the deal.

Steve4192
05-21-2006, 08:32 PM
I trade almost anyone for an Ace arm...though our arms have not been the problem this year...the problem has been the bats
Wow.

I am speechless.

Slider
05-21-2006, 08:35 PM
Is there any chance that Kearns turns into a Paul O'Neill production type player?

I don't know enough to evaluate Kearns real versus imagined potential...but it seems to me the last time we had a player like Kearns...we traded him to the Yankees and that deal didn't turn out so well...

Falls City Beer
05-21-2006, 08:39 PM
What I'm really liking about Krivsky is that he doesn't seem to let such esoteric concerns rattle him.

He seems to move with confidence and, more than anything, that will settle the fanbase. To a degree, he doesn't seem the type that looks to justify anything. He trades Pena for Arroyo and sets fire to almost every player DanO acquired and never gives the impression that he's looking over his shoulder for approval. Over the years we've seen fans attempt to rationalize that everything the Reds have done is a good idea.

If another team makes Krivsky an offer he likes for Kearns, whether it's someone who can produce today or a raft of talent for tomorrow, my guess is he'll pull the trigger and then tell fans why they should like the deal.

This is true. But it would it be not only politically unsound but downright stupid to trade one of the few tradeable commodities for a couple of A-level pitchers.

TeamBoone
05-21-2006, 08:52 PM
I don't want to trade Kearns, but if I did, I would NEVER trade him to a team within the NL Central.

KronoRed
05-21-2006, 09:06 PM
Kearns will bring in some nice prospects but Lopez would bring more.

penantboundreds
05-21-2006, 09:11 PM
Wouldn't trade Kearns or Lopez...

reds44
05-21-2006, 09:20 PM
Kearns will bring in some nice prospects but Lopez would bring more.
Yes Felipe would, but at 26 I really don't think you should trade either of them for prospects that might work out when they are both young and are working out (especially Lopez).

CTA513
05-21-2006, 09:28 PM
Trade Dunn, Kearns, Griffey, Lopez, LaRue and Arroyo.
Bring up AAA players to fill the outfield and infield needs.
Then bring Dave Williams back and sign Jose Lima.

:p:

:evil:

KronoRed
05-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Trade Dunn, Kearns, Griffey, Lopez, LaRue and Arroyo.
Bring up AAA players to fill the outfield and infield needs.
Then bring Dave Williams back and sign Jose Lima.

:p:

:evil:
130 losses:thumbup: