PDA

View Full Version : Sky Captain and World of Tomorrow

TeamCasey
05-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Kid friendly and kid interesting?

MrCinatit
05-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Kids might find it interesting - but I don't know how scary the machines will seem to them. Depends on the age of the kids.
SKy Captain is a lot like the hokey '40s and '50s scifi serials, and is played off as such. It is not the best movie out there, nor is it the worst.
The plot does tend to get a bit convoluted (which could confuse some young-uns), but there are also some pretty good action sequences. While there are acts of violence, it is not anywhere near a violent movie by any means of the imagination. I don't believe anyone's death was actually shown.
Hope that helps.

paintmered
05-22-2006, 12:34 AM
I thought it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I could only make myself sit through about a half-hour before I felt like exploding. Cheesy doesn't begin to describe it. But there are some cool action sequences and a cool sepia effect to the film to make it feel 20's - 30's era.

marcshoe
05-22-2006, 12:38 AM
I rented it, and didn't make it through it. I know a lot of people who loved it, and I keep thinking I should give it another chance, but I thought it seemed to be the kind of movie where the filmmakers were more interested in cool-looking sets and effects than telling an interesting story.

But that might just be me. I get grouchy about movies sometimes.

Caveat Emperor
05-22-2006, 12:40 AM
I thought it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I could only make myself sit through about a half-hour before I felt like exploding. Cheesy doesn't begin to describe it. But there are some cool action sequences and a cool sepia effect to the film to make it feel 20's - 30's era.

I actually liked it quite a bit. It was charmingly unapologetic about being a schlocky 20s/30s comic book movie.

The only real problem I had with the film was how hideously unsatisfying the ending was. Other than that, I thought it was loaded with imagination and great ideas -- script could've just used a few more re-writes.

TeamCasey
05-22-2006, 08:32 AM
I watched the new King Kong last night. Definitely NOT kid friendly. Very good though.

The bug and raptor scenes were a little long, and the captive Kong part seemed rushed.

max venable
05-22-2006, 09:07 AM

Good take. I agree. In fact, I didn't even finish it. It was bad. I know my kids would not enjoy it...at all.

cincinnati chili
05-23-2006, 02:48 AM
The Best thing about Sky Captain was the design. I loved the idea of a futuristic movie set in the 1930's. Maybe a better IDEA than movie.