PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade Kearns?

Jim Fazio
05-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Kearns is in a big time slump. We've seen this time and time again. I don't think he will ever be a consistent hitter. I would trade him now while he may have some value. Would you?

edabbs44
05-21-2006, 07:39 PM
Kearns is in a big time slump. We've seen this time and time again. I don't think he will ever be a consistent hitter. I would trade him now while he may have some value. Would you?
It all depends on what Kriv could get for him. I would want a starter and reliever, both in their 20s who could help the team now and who have upside for the future. I would also try and deal Grif before Kearns.

Safe at Home
05-21-2006, 07:39 PM
Only if we get a number 2 pitcher for him or maybe a great prospect!!!

Patrick Bateman
05-21-2006, 08:47 PM
He's gone 1 game without a hit.

That's not a slump.

This is not even a thread.

edabbs44
05-21-2006, 08:51 PM
He's gone 1 game without a hit.

That's not a slump.

This is not even a thread.
I like Kearns as much as the next guy, but when your average drops from .339 on May 10 to .285 today, I would say he is slumping a little bit.

M2
05-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Not being willing to trade if you get a good offer for him (and capable bats in RF haven't been this scarce in more than a decade) is the kind of paralyzing ineptitude that helped dig the franchise into the hole in the first place.

IMO, the working plan should be to conquer the world in 2008. Kearns is a free agent after 2007. That makes him extremely expendable in my view.

Wheelhouse
05-21-2006, 09:03 PM
No! I would trade Dunn who is at peak value and has no other aspects to his game when he's in a batting slump, as now.

jfleur87
05-21-2006, 09:03 PM
I'd trade Dunn before Kearns, but I dunno, I really would hate to see either of them traded

UC_Ken
05-21-2006, 09:09 PM
I would trade anybody if another team is willing to overpay for them. Kearns is one of the last players on this team I'd want to trade though. We're finally starting to see what he's capable of doing when healthy. He's just turned 26 so he's still a couple years away from his prime years and he's probably the only player on the team besides Phillips and our catchers who rate as above average defensively. Even though Dunn is a much more dangerous offensive player he doesn't have a true position other than DH so I'd be more willing to move Dunn.

reds44
I like Kearns as much as the next guy, but when your average drops from .339 on May 10 to .285 today, I would say he is slumping a little bit.
Yeah.............

People go in slumps. Edwin is in a pretty bad funk himself right now, should we trade him?

No.

Cedric
No! I would trade Dunn who is at peak value and has no other aspects to his game when he's in a batting slump, as now.

Like getting on base and being durable?

Kearns has much less value than Dunn, and righfully so.

Highlifeman21
05-21-2006, 09:32 PM

Hello Mini Falls City Beer....

Way to throw one of our best overall players under the bus...

Kearns is our best defensive OF, as well as currently sporting an .871 OPS. He's horrible, let's get rid of him yesterday.

GAC
05-21-2006, 09:34 PM

Big time slump?

Yes, he has slumped over the last 7 days, no doubt. But prior to that he has played some darn good baseball.

Kearns on the year.....

AVG .285 | HR 8 | RBI 27 | OBP .362 | SLG .509 = .871 OPS

Dunn on the year....

AVG .227 | HR 15 | RBI 28 | OBP .382 | SLG .567

I highlighted the above two areas for comparison. And where has Kearns been hitting in the order at various times this season?

And who is a far superior defensive OFer of the two?

Am I advocating trading Dunn? No. Just stating he probably has more worth on the market.

It all depends on who we could get in a trade. But I doubt very much, at this early stage of the season, you'd pry a quality starting pitcher away from any team for either.

But then we could always insert the "great" Chris Denorfria into one of their slots. :lol:

reds44
05-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Unless we got something really good for him, no I am not trading Kearns. He is one of the only two players on this team that plays anything that resembles defense, and he is by no means a bad hitter.

I would be very happy with a .280/25/80 from Kearns this year.

edabbs44
05-21-2006, 09:39 PM
Yeah.............

People go in slumps. Edwin is in a pretty bad funk himself right now, should we trade him?

No.
I never said we should trade Kearns because he is in a slump. I said Kearns is slumping, in response to another post which said he isn't in a slump.

penantboundreds
05-21-2006, 10:28 PM
If Dunn has more value than that probably means he is better....just saying. I don't understand that. Of course Dunn will net more because he is better. It's not rocket science....if one of the two is going to be traded / both should be marketed first to see if giving up Dunn's better qualities results in that much more significant of a return.

Redhook
05-21-2006, 11:35 PM
Dunn is better than Kearns overall. That's already been proven. But, I don't think we'll be trading Kearns. He's still relatively cheap and should be for a few more years, unless he breaks out with a monster season that probably won't happen. And Kearns probably won't bring much in return unless a team is desperate. Now Dunn, on the otherhand, is more likely to be traded. Here's why: he'll bring in serious talent and he's going to be too high-priced for the Reds in 2008. He's due to make over $10 million next year and has a club option for $13 million in 2008. That's way too much for a team with a small payroll. I believe the Reds will trade Dunn before 2008. Hopefully, we'll get some worthwhile players in return.

edabbs44
05-21-2006, 11:38 PM
Dunn is better than Kearns overall. That's already been proven. But, I don't think we'll be trading Kearns. He's still relatively cheap and should be for a few more years, unless he breaks out with a monster season that probably won't happen. And Kearns probably won't bring much in return unless a team is desperate. Now Dunn, on the otherhand, is more likely to be traded. Here's why: he'll bring in serious talent and he's going to be too high-priced for the Reds in 2008. He's due to make over $10 million next year and has a club option for $13 million in 2008. That's way too much for a team with a small payroll. I believe the Reds will trade Dunn before 2008. Hopefully, we'll get some worthwhile players in return.
Overall? That is tough to say since fielding has to be involved and Kearns' fielding is is huge plus in this discussion.

Redhook
05-21-2006, 11:44 PM
Overall? That is tough to say since fielding has to be involved and Kearns' fielding is is huge plus in this discussion.

I was thinking ahead and made the assumption that Dunn would be moving to first base soon. ;)

KronoRed
05-21-2006, 11:47 PM
That's way too much for a team with a small payroll. I believe the Reds will trade Dunn before 2008. Hopefully, we'll get some worthwhile players in return.
Not really, JR's salary will fall off the payroll in 09, paying for Dunn.

Caveat Emperor
05-22-2006, 12:10 AM
Hello Mini Falls City Beer....

Way to throw one of our best overall players under the bus...

Kearns is our best defensive OF, as well as currently sporting an .871 OPS. He's horrible, let's get rid of him yesterday.

Best overall players?

We're, of course, speaking about the same Austin Kearns? The same player who has yet to play a full 162 game season in any of his previous 3 years (not counting his 1st year callup)? The same player who has never hit more than 18 HRs in a season? The same player who hasn't posted an OPS north of .800 in 3 years? The player who has seen his walk rate (BB/PA) decrease in every season since his rookie year? Not to be mean or anything, but Kearns has been renting space under the Greyhound for 3 years on his own accord.

Austin Kearns is, today, what Austin Kearns was the day he entered this game: long on words like "future" and "potential" -- short on words like "accomplished" and "succeeded." 1,000 ABs later, we're all still wondering what's the real Austin Kearns -- the guy we're seeing, or the guy who cashed game checks with a utility infielder OPS and spent more time on the DL than Vito from the Sopranos.

I love watching the guy play when he's got it going on -- but he's too inconsistent, too injury prone. The Reds would be foolhardy not to move him on the first good offer they get.

tbball10
05-22-2006, 12:17 AM
Dunn is the player who should be traded; it's that simple. Somebody will give us more than what he's worth because they value home runs late in the game when their team is either up or down by more than 5 runs. He's hitting .229 and he leads the league in k's as well as probably in solo home runs. He can't play defense at all. What good is he except as entertainment in batting practice?

CTA513
05-22-2006, 12:22 AM
Trade Kearns, Dunn and Griffey.

:thumbup:

Caveat Emperor
05-22-2006, 12:28 AM
Dunn is the player who should be traded; it's that simple. Somebody will give us more than what he's worth because they value home runs late in the game when their team is either up or down by more than 5 runs. He's hitting .229 and he leads the league in k's as well as probably in solo home runs. He can't play defense at all. What good is he except as entertainment in batting practice?

You mean ASIDE from those pesky Runs Created he piles up (33.9 for 2006, leading the ballclub -- 9th in the NL)?

And, for whatever it's worth -- if a team is destined to go south of the .500 mark and/or miss the playoffs for what seems like the 100th consecutive season, having a player that rates highly in the "entertainment" scale for the fans really shouldn't be something to scoff at. I go to the park to see the Reds win, but also to be entertained. Adam Dunn entertains me (as well as a lot of other Reds fans, based on the number of #44 jerseys I see walking about).

tbball10
05-22-2006, 12:57 AM
You mean ASIDE from those pesky Runs Created he piles up (33.9 for 2006, leading the ballclub -- 9th in the NL)?

And, for whatever it's worth -- if a team is destined to go south of the .500 mark and/or miss the playoffs for what seems like the 100th consecutive season, having a player that rates highly in the "entertainment" scale for the fans really shouldn't be something to scoff at. I go to the park to see the Reds win, but also to be entertained. Adam Dunn entertains me (as well as a lot of other Reds fans, based on the number of #44 jerseys I see walking about).

The only time Dunn has entertained me this year, other than his meaningless mammoth home runs, was on Opening Day when he had one of the worst performances in left field since Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492.

reds44
05-22-2006, 12:59 AM
:deadhorse

Can we beat the Adam Dunn subject to death anymore?

pedro
05-22-2006, 01:05 AM
The only time Dunn has entertained me this year, other than his meaningless mammoth home runs, was on Opening Day when he had one of the worst performances in left field since Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492.

Here's a log of Dunn's "meaningless" HR's this year and the Reds score after it happened. (number of runs scored on HR in parenthesis, score displayed Reds first)

1. (1) 4-5
2. (1) 5-3
3. (1) 2-0
4. (1) 4-0
5. (1) 1-0
6. (1) 1-0
7. (2) 3-2
8. (2) 2-0
9. (2) 2-3
10.(1) 1-2
11. (1) 5-1
12 (2) 3-0
13. (2) 2- 2
14. (1) 8-0

Reds record when AD goes yard 9-4.

Highlifeman21
05-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Best overall players?

We're, of course, speaking about the same Austin Kearns? The same player who has yet to play a full 162 game season in any of his previous 3 years (not counting his 1st year callup)? The same player who has never hit more than 18 HRs in a season? The same player who hasn't posted an OPS north of .800 in 3 years? The player who has seen his walk rate (BB/PA) decrease in every season since his rookie year? Not to be mean or anything, but Kearns has been renting space under the Greyhound for 3 years on his own accord.

Austin Kearns is, today, what Austin Kearns was the day he entered this game: long on words like "future" and "potential" -- short on words like "accomplished" and "succeeded." 1,000 ABs later, we're all still wondering what's the real Austin Kearns -- the guy we're seeing, or the guy who cashed game checks with a utility infielder OPS and spent more time on the DL than Vito from the Sopranos.

I love watching the guy play when he's got it going on -- but he's too inconsistent, too injury prone. The Reds would be foolhardy not to move him on the first good offer they get.

For the right offer, maybe.

The premise of my post is that Kearns plays great D, has a good arm, and this year seems to have all the pieces put together. I'd love to see him end the season with an OPS north of .800, but with everything else he brings to the table, .750 is still ok with me. I'd rather see the bulk of his OPS be OBP anyway, the HR numbers don't mean all that much to me, and he'll hit some doubles that will counter balance the lack of the long ball.

I value your opinion CE, but I just don't understand why some people on this board are down on Kearns. Do you honestly think he'll continue to stay under the Greyhound, or will he emerge?

registerthis
05-22-2006, 12:51 PM

I'm beginning to think the Anti-Dunn Society has been paying people to come on this board and spout off the same diatribe about Dunn at every possible opportunity.

It's getting just slightly beyond ridiculous...

flyer85
05-22-2006, 12:55 PM
Every player is tradeable, it all depends on what someone else is willing to offer. Without the information about what is being offered it really is just useless speculation.

edabbs44
05-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Every player is tradeable, it all depends on what someone else is willing to offer. Without the information about what is being offered it really is just useless speculation.
100% correct.

VI_RedsFan
05-22-2006, 03:31 PM
Dunn is better than Kearns overall. That's already been proven.

Please tell me how that has been proven.

I love Dunn as much as the next guy, but I think that Kearns is a better all-around player than Dunn. (Just to clarify, me saying this doesn't mean that I want Dunn to be traded ;) ).

flyer85
05-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Please tell me how that has been proven.Win Shares

Kc61
05-22-2006, 03:40 PM
Kearns deserves the full season to prove himself. To me, he is only a good player, not a top tier player, right now. But he has had less than 200 at bats after years of injuries.

Reds traded Pena to give Kearns a full shot. I would let him have that shot before considering moving him. No deal unless return is very substantial.

Caveat Emperor
05-22-2006, 03:43 PM
For the right offer, maybe.

The premise of my post is that Kearns plays great D, has a good arm, and this year seems to have all the pieces put together. I'd love to see him end the season with an OPS north of .800, but with everything else he brings to the table, .750 is still ok with me. I'd rather see the bulk of his OPS be OBP anyway, the HR numbers don't mean all that much to me, and he'll hit some doubles that will counter balance the lack of the long ball.

I value your opinion CE, but I just don't understand why some people on this board are down on Kearns. Do you honestly think he'll continue to stay under the Greyhound, or will he emerge?

My opinion, simply, is that Austin Kearns hasn't worked out for the Reds and that if they can find some other GM who gets big eyes when he sees all of the "potential" swirling around Austin Kearns, then they'd be wise to take any good offer on him being made. Good defense and a .750 OPS can probaby be replicated by a player like a Chris Denorfia for a lot less money than it takes to keep Austin Kearns in Cincinnati once he hits free agency in 2 years (which is also a major issue -- in that if he does emerge from under the greyhound this year, he just makes himself that much more expensive to keep around).

Kearns has shown a propensity towards injury throughout his career, making me hold my breath any time a pitcher goes inside on him, and although common thought is that he's putting it together right now, I'd hate to be caught holding the match on this one if it does blow up again. Plus, the way things are structured (given Dunn & Jr.'s contracts), a hot "putting it together" Austin Kearns has the best chance of bringing the Reds the type of return they need to restock some levels of their farm system.

Highlifeman21
05-22-2006, 04:27 PM
My opinion, simply, is that Austin Kearns hasn't worked out for the Reds and that if they can find some other GM who gets big eyes when he sees all of the "potential" swirling around Austin Kearns, then they'd be wise to take any good offer on him being made. Good defense and a .750 OPS can probaby be replicated by a player like a Chris Denorfia for a lot less money than it takes to keep Austin Kearns in Cincinnati once he hits free agency in 2 years (which is also a major issue -- in that if he does emerge from under the greyhound this year, he just makes himself that much more expensive to keep around).

Kearns has shown a propensity towards injury throughout his career, making me hold my breath any time a pitcher goes inside on him, and although common thought is that he's putting it together right now, I'd hate to be caught holding the match on this one if it does blow up again. Plus, the way things are structured (given Dunn & Jr.'s contracts), a hot "putting it together" Austin Kearns has the best chance of bringing the Reds the type of return they need to restock some levels of their farm system.

Last year we didn't move Kearns to Toronto when they apparently wanted him, so now what is his market value? Do you really think that moving Kearns in 1 deal will restock the farm, or would it take a chain reaction of trades maybe triggered by Kearns departure to net some quality depth?

I honestly don't see us getting anything but marginal bullpen help, which we admittedly need, but would losing Kearns for bullpen help us in the long run?

I think we're better off keeping him.

indyred
05-22-2006, 08:10 PM
I keep Kearns. I just don't think his value is that high around MLB. I'd love to know what kind of offers they would get for him. Like other's have said, i'm sure they could got some bullpen help but nothing like a top young starter, probally a veteran #3 starter could be had. If that is all that is being offered, I keep Kearns and ride him out. I think he does get better and will be a consistent 20-25 hr guy and drive in 80 runs in a full season. He is a slightly above average player, but not close to being a great player right now.

Redhook
05-22-2006, 08:18 PM
I wouldn't trade Kearns. He might never live up to his 'potential' or our idea of how good he should be. But he plays the game correctly (smart, good defense). The Reds need more players like him, not less.

Ltlabner
05-22-2006, 08:23 PM
I don't think any player is untouchable, but now that Kearns is seemingly back to pre-colision form I'd like to see us get some production out of him before sending him packing. As mentioned, I like how he plays the game and would like to see him around a while.

NastyBoy
05-23-2006, 03:40 AM
Three outfielders on pace for 30+ HRs and 100+ RBIs seasons. Hmmm... lets trade the one that sucks the most.

CTA513
05-23-2006, 03:40 AM
Three outfielders on pace for 30+ HRs and 100+ RBIs seasons. Hmmm... lets trade the one that sucks the most.

Trade the old one.

:evil:

NastyBoy
05-23-2006, 03:44 AM
Trade the old one.

But Jay Bruce is not ready yet! JK! :devil:

KronoRed
05-23-2006, 03:51 AM
Trade the old one.

Also the most expensive ;)