PDA

View Full Version : Superman Returns

GAC
05-21-2006, 09:09 PM
Being a child of the 60's, Superman (and Batman) were my favorites. I was a big fan of DC Comics (Adventure, World's Finest, Action).

I really enjoyed only two of the Batman movies (the 1st one with Keaton, and Batman Returns).

I really never liked the Superman movies with Christopher Reeves. They were just too corn ball for me. So I am really looking forward to seeing the new Superman movie when it comes out June 30th.

I just saw a trailer on TV. Looked pretty awesome.

The storyline is as such...

Following a mysterious absence of several years, the Man of Steel comes back to Earth in the epic action-adventure Superman Returns, a soaring new chapter in the saga of one of the world's most beloved superheroes. While an old enemy plots to render him powerless once and for all, Superman faces the heartbreaking realization that the woman he loves, Lois Lane, has moved on with her life. Or has she? Superman's bittersweet return challenges him to bridge the distance between them while finding a place in a society that has learned to survive without him. In an attempt to protect the world he loves from cataclysmic destruction, Superman embarks on an epic journey of redemption that takes him from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of outer space.

Now what I want to see is how they reconcile/explain Superman and Clark Kent's return at the same time? I mean, if Superman has been gone for the last several years, then so wouldn't Mr. Kent?

Here are some links to trailers for any that are interested. You need Quick time though...

http://www.movieweb.com/movies/film/82/482/summary.php

Here is a link to some still photos...

http://www.movieweb.com/movies/film/82/482/gal2099/

Caveat Emperor
05-21-2006, 11:15 PM
I just want to know if Superman will still stand there and let people unload clip after clip of bullets at him without flinching, but then duck when they throw the empty gun.

MrCinatit
05-22-2006, 12:09 AM
Looking at Bryan Singer's success with the X-Man franchise, I have rather high hopes for this one.

GAC
05-22-2006, 08:52 AM
If I had to pick what I thought was the best super hero movie to be released during my lifetime, I'd have to go with Batman Returns.

I watched it again yesterday, and I think this was just one very well made movie.... plot, storyline, character/cast.

And I would also rank the first Spiderman right up there too.

I really wasn't a big X-Men fan growing up, but I did enjoy the movies.

The Hulk and FF movies were so-so.

I thought I read somewhere where they are planning on doing Thor?

Johnny Footstool
05-22-2006, 10:33 AM
If I had to pick what I thought was the best super hero movie to be released during my lifetime, I'd have to go with Batman Returns.

I finally saw Batman Begins this weekend. Wow. What a great film! With a little better editing in the fight scenes (wider angles, fewer jump cuts) it would have been on par with Spider Man and Spider Man 2.

KronoRed
05-22-2006, 06:08 PM
Batman Begins needed to lose about 20 mins to be really good.

I'm glad the new Superman film is taking after at least the first 2 Superman movies, the "RESET RESET RESET" that is all over the place gets a little old sometimes.

GAC
05-22-2006, 09:19 PM
I finally saw Batman Begins this weekend. Wow. What a great film! With a little better editing in the fight scenes (wider angles, fewer jump cuts) it would have been on par with Spider Man and Spider Man 2.

I really enjoyed the first Batman w/ Keaton. I thought Nicholson as the Joker was excellent. And I felt that Keaton did a very good job portraying the personality disorder/complexities of Bruce Wayne.

I would love to see a Captain America. And the setting be WWII. I think they could do a good job.

savafan
05-23-2006, 10:04 AM
I'm glad the new Superman film is taking after at least the first 2 Superman movies, the "RESET RESET RESET" that is all over the place gets a little old sometimes.

Ah, that's what I thought. Thanks for clearing that up Krono! :thumbup:

Johnny Footstool
05-23-2006, 10:13 AM
I just wish they could somehow erase the memories of Superman III and IV from my brain. *shudder*

savafan
05-23-2006, 10:17 AM
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=13886

IMAX Corporation and Warner Bros. Pictures today announced that Superman Returns, directed by Bryan Singer, will become the world's first live-action Hollywood feature to be converted from 2D to IMAX® 3D. IMAX Corporation will use its proprietary 2D to 3D conversion technology to convert approximately 20 minutes of the film into An IMAX 3D Experience®, the most immersive cinematic 3D in the world.

"Releasing select sequences of 'Superman Returns' in IMAX 3D marks a groundbreaking moment in movies," said Dan Fellman, President of Domestic Distribution at Warner Bros. Pictures. "This film is going to give fans an opportunity to be immersed in a major live-action motion picture like never before."

The epic action-adventure directed by Bryan Singer ("X-Men," The Usual Suspects), will be transformed into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience® through IMAX DMR® (Digital Re-Mastering) technology. The film will be simultaneously released to IMAX® and conventional theatres on June 30, 2006. Warner Bros. Pictures will be the exclusive distributor of the film to the growing IMAX theatre network worldwide.

"The test scenes that have been converted into IMAX 3D look, sound and feel absolutely amazing," added Bryan Singer, director of Superman Returns. "The magic of IMAX 3D will envelop audiences in this story, enabling them to feel the emotion, drama and suspense in a completely new and unique way."

During select sequences of the film, a visual cue designed by Singer will indicate when audiences should put on and remove their IMAX 3D glasses.

"We are delighted to partner with pioneering visionaries Bryan Singer and Warner Bros. Pictures to transform part of this highly anticipated release into An IMAX 3D Experience," said IMAX Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs Richard L. Gelfond and Bradley J. Wechsler. "Today's announcement is a culmination of a great film, a great filmmaker, a great studio, and great technology - all working together to produce the most powerful and immersive cinematic experience available to moviegoers worldwide."

"Five out of the seven films in our 2006 line up now feature IMAX 3D," said Greg Foster, Chairman and President of IMAX Filmed Entertainment. "We are thrilled that moviegoers will be able to experience Bryan Singer's unique and exhilarating vision. Through the magic of IMAX 3D, they will feel as if they are actually flying alongside the man of steel, weaving in and out of Metropolis."

Following a mysterious absence of several years, the Man of Steel comes back to Earth in the epic action-adventure Superman Returns, a soaring new chapter in the saga of one of the world's most beloved superheroes. While an old enemy plots to render him powerless once and for all, Superman faces the heartbreaking realization that the woman he loves, Lois Lane, has moved on with her life. Or has she? Superman's bittersweet return challenges him to bridge the distance between them while finding a place in a society that has learned to survive without him. In an attempt to protect the world he loves from cataclysmic destruction, Superman embarks on an epic journey of redemption that takes him from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of outer space.

Superman Returns stars Brandon Routh (Clark Kent/Superman), Kevin Spacey, Kate Bosworth, James Marsden, Hugh Laurie, Sam Huntington and Eva Marie Saint. The film was written by Dan Harris and Mike Dougherty; produced by Gilbert Adler, Jon Peters and Bryan Singer; co-produced by Stephen Jones; and executive produced by Chris Lee.

Johnny Footstool
05-23-2006, 02:50 PM
Superman Returns stars Brandon Routh (Clark Kent/Superman), Kevin Spacey, Kate Bosworth, James Marsden, Hugh Laurie, Sam Huntington and Eva Marie Saint. The film was written by Dan Harris and Mike Dougherty;

So Bryan Singer is finally giving ol' Cyclops something to do? Cool. He'll probably have more lines in "Superman Returns" than in all three X-men movies combined.

Falls City Beer
05-23-2006, 02:57 PM
I'll never see this movie for the following reasons:

1. Child actor playing a prominent part.

2. Kevin Spacey: Am I the only person on earth that thinks this guy's a terrible actor? Hey, it's that guy from Seven--no, wait, the guy from Usual Suspects--wait, which movie am I watching?

Kevin Spacey is no Yul Brynner.

KronoRed
05-23-2006, 03:56 PM
I just wish they could somehow erase the memories of Superman III and IV from my brain. *shudder*
Burn them.

Caveat Emperor
05-23-2006, 05:43 PM
2. Kevin Spacey: Am I the only person on earth that thinks this guy's a terrible actor? Hey, it's that guy from Seven--no, wait, the guy from Usual Suspects--wait, which movie am I watching?

Kevin Spacey plays Kevin Spacey in every movie that he's in -- but he's not interesting enough to pull it off the way Jack Nicholson does.

I think he's unbelievably overrated, and the only movies that I've liked him in are movies where the script and other actors around him allowed him to shine.

GAC
05-23-2006, 09:17 PM
I'll never see this movie for the following reasons:

1. Child actor playing a prominent part.

Kevin Spacey is no Yul Brynner.

Loved him in West World.

Tony Cloninger
05-23-2006, 11:06 PM
Will this be your new "signature" after every post during game threads...FCB?

"So let it be written, so let it be so."

Johnny Footstool
05-24-2006, 12:28 AM
Spacey was very good in Glengarry Glen Ross, American Beauty, The Usual Suspects, and a little independent film called Swimming with Sharks.

cincinnati chili
05-24-2006, 01:53 AM

You mean you didn't buy into Richard Pryor as a computer whiz?

Chris Reeve needed those Julliard classes to deliver those fine performances

savafan
05-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Spacey was very good in Glengarry Glen Ross, American Beauty, The Usual Suspects, and a little independent film called Swimming with Sharks.

I liked him in L.A. Confidential also.

Johnny Footstool
05-24-2006, 10:17 AM
I liked him in L.A. Confidential also.

I liked that movie, but I didn't think Spacey's character really had that much to do other than utter the name "Rolo Tomassi".

NJReds
05-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Between the sappy trailer and the odd selection of Brandon Routh to play Superman, they might as well have named this movie "Krypton 90210"

KronoRed
05-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Kevin Spacey plays Kevin Spacey in every movie that he's in -- but he's not interesting enough to pull it off the way Jack Nicholson does.

Thank you.

He's good when the part calls for Kevin Spacey, if not..well..

Falls City Beer
05-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Thank you.

He's good when the part calls for Kevin Spacey, if not..well..

Good to know I'm not alone. :thumbup:

GAC
05-24-2006, 08:43 PM
So Kevin really is K-Pax? :lol:

savafan
06-01-2006, 10:49 AM
The release date has been bumped up to June 28.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20060531-012752-7797r

LOS ANGELES, May 31 (UPI) -- Warner Bros. Pictures announced it's moving up the U.S. release date for "Superman Returns" by two days.

Attempting to cash in on the July Fourth holiday, the release date has changed from Friday, June 30, to Wednesday, June 28. Historically, releasing films the Wednesday before the holiday have proven to increase box office takes dramatically.

"I'm glad that we are in a position to do it and take advantage of the summer holiday playtime," Dan Fellman,

president of domestic distribution for Warners Bros., told Daily Variety.

With its other major summer film "Poseidon" falling short of aspirations, Warner Bros. is hoping the new release date will help "Superman Returns" avoid the same fate, Variety said.

2 more trailers:

http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wbol/uk/movies/supermanreturns/superman_returns_tlrf3_qt_500.mov
http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1432868&sdm=web&qtw=640&qth=400