View Full Version : Notebook (5/21)

TeamBoone
05-22-2006, 12:09 AM
Sunday, May 21, 2006 E-mail this | Print page

notebook
By Brian Bennett
bbennett@courier-journal.comThe Courier-Journal

Power pitching

Ted Power was happy in his role as Cincinnati's pitching rehab coordinator. He got to live at home near the Reds' spring training complex at Sarasota, Fla., and didn't have to travel.

But Power still happily accepted the pitching coach job with the Louisville Bats last week. The veteran of 13 major league seasons succeeded Mario Soto, who began the year as the Bats' interim pitching coach.

"I've never done it at this level," said Power, who has worked as a coach in rookie ball and Class-A. "They say it's hard to get a big-league job if you haven't had Triple-A experience, so this is a chance for me to get that experience."

Power wasn't immediately familiar with many of the Bats pitchers, but he got a tutorial last week from former Louisville pitching coach Mack Jenkins. Power said he plans to keep things simple.

"I'm not trying to re-create anybody," Power said. "I'll watch them and how they're throwing, and if anybody gets in a funk then hopefully I'll notice something they're doing differently."

Power, who pitched for the Reds and lived for a long time in Cincinnati, said there's another bonus of being in Louisville.

"My two kids still live in Cincinnati, so we'll get to see them a lot this summer," he said.

Fans in the loop

For the first time this year, fans will help select players in the Triple-A All-Star Game. Fan voting, which will be held from June 1-23, will make up one-third of the vote total, with media and club officials totaling the other two-thirds. Fans can access the ballots at several Web sites, including MiLB.com. This year's game between the International League and Pacific Coast League will be held July 12 in Toledo.
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060521/SPORTS07/605210487/1002/SPORTS