PDA

View Full Version : Interesting note on David Shafer

flyer85
05-22-2006, 12:29 PM
From Carroll's column at BP

Braves are on the lookout for a closer, as they have been since the end of last season. Thwarted so far in their quest for a Dan Wheeler or Scott Williamson, they’re looking to the minors. Someone like Nate Field, Lee Grontkiewicz, or David Shafer could be an easier get If he is that good why isn't he with the Reds? :help:

CTA513
05-22-2006, 01:18 PM
From Carroll's column at BP

If he is that good why isn't he with the Reds? :help:

My guess is they dont want to risk pulling him up to early, if not then I dont know.

Hes pitching good in AA this year:
1.84 ERA, 13 Saves, 14.2 Innings, 10 Hits, 1 HR, 5 BB, 19 K

deltachi8
05-22-2006, 01:20 PM
I cant answer the question, but the name made me laugh - it was my alias in High School shoudl i happen to run into trouble. I was a big Letterman fan, so David (letterman) (paul) Shafer it was.

flyer85
05-22-2006, 01:21 PM
My guess is they dont want to risk pulling him up to earlyHe is not a youngster at 24 in AA. With the quality of the Reds pem might not be bad to find out if a couple of the younger guys are ready. Bringing guys from AA to the majors is certainly not unheard of

NC Reds
05-22-2006, 01:23 PM
I would rather him get his first shot in Cincy than Atlanta. We need bullpen help worse than they do.

CTA513
05-22-2006, 01:27 PM
He is not a youngster at 24 in AA. With the quality of the Reds pem might not be bad to find out if a couple of the younger guys are ready. Bringing guys from AA to the majors is certainly not unheard of

I have no problem with bringing up guys from AA, I actually suggested doing that a few weeks ago and had my idea shot down.

:thumbup:

CTA513
05-22-2006, 01:28 PM
I would rather him get his first shot in Cincy than Atlanta. We need bullpen help worse than they do.

We seen what happened the last time the Reds traded with the Braves.

:angry:

flyer85
05-22-2006, 01:29 PM
I have no problem with bringing up guys from AA, I actually suggested doing that a few weeks ago and had my idea shot down.

:thumbup:certainly major Burns and Gabe's brother aren't the future.

cincyinco
05-22-2006, 02:04 PM
I cant answer the question, but the name made me laugh - it was my alias in High School shoudl i happen to run into trouble. I was a big Letterman fan, so David (letterman) (paul) Shafer it was.

:laugh: :laugh:

I frequented the alias of Rick Forsythe..

If Shafer does well for 1/2 season, he'll be moved to AAA and could possibly get a Sept. callup. From what I recall reading about reports on him, he doesn't really project as a closer at the ML level. But you never know... I've been rooting for him since last year.

NJReds
05-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Maybe we can trade him for Reitsma?