PDA

View Full Version : How about some credit for Harang?

danwl
05-22-2006, 03:26 PM
1 ER against the team with the best record in the majors? Better than we are used to. Arroyo is still throwing well. Elizardo has been productive, if a little unlucky. Claussen has thown (pretty much) to expectations. Heck, there is even a glimmer of hope regarding Uncle Milty. Williams is really the only SP where we have to pray for rain. My perception is that our SP has the potential to wind up much better than last year. Despite the recent losing streak, when our bats wake up (I mean, whatever else you say, a lot of these guys can rake), we are gonna be OK, right?

All I saw was the box score on Harang's start yesterday; any observations from those who saw the game?

Matt700wlw
05-22-2006, 03:28 PM
Unfotunately for Harang, with the offense taking a vacation yesterday, his error was magnified because of the outcome.

Harang has been great this year, and I would take a performance like yesterday's any day of the week (and it isn't the first time he's given a performance like this in 2006)

The offense needs to quit letting these awesome starts go to waste.

flyer85
05-22-2006, 03:29 PM
The Tigers are a heavily RH lineup and susceptible to RH pitching. Harang is solid and has been a bit hit unlucky to this point. I was not surprised he shut down the Tigers.

RedsManRick
05-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Three pitchers have more K's than Aaron Harang: Carlos Zambrano (71) , Pedro Martinez (70, and Johan Santana.

Of course, tied with Harang at 67 is Scott Kazmir...........

harangatang
05-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Williams is really the only SP where we have to pray for rain. I think your prayers have been answered and instead of it raining every 5th day, the Reds DFA'd Williams.
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46330

Redhook
05-22-2006, 05:49 PM
You gotta love Harang. He has probably improved more than anyone else since his arrival here. An average pitcher to a very dependable one. He might not be a #1 pitcher, but he is darn close if he isn't. I have total confidence in him when it is his turn to pitch. Wish I could say that about Claussen and Milty. :(

OnBaseMachine
05-22-2006, 06:24 PM
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but Harang was credited with his second complete game of the year yesterday. I think a lot of people forgot that was a CG since the Tigers didn't have to bat in the 9th.

TeamBoone
05-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Trying to find a thread for this Harang tidbit; I just found it informative:

Harang prefers biking to running
By Hal McCoy / Staff Writer

CINCINNATI — If you see this giant of a man — 6-foot-7, 270 pounds — pedaling a yellow mountain bicycle near Paul Brown Stadium or the Montgomery Inn Boathouse or one of the bridges spanning the Ohio River, be not alarmed.

It's Cincinnati Reds pitcher Aaron Harang, doing his between starts workout regimen. He would rather ride a bike than run the streets, "Because your feet don't take a pounding on the pavement."

Harang said he uses his mountain bike in the off-season near his San Diego home as part of his cardio-vascular routine.

"Rode it today (Tuesday) for about 35 minutes," he said, shortly after parking it outside the clubhouse. I do it for about an hour and a half during the winter. And I'll be able to do it around my house here because there are some trails around a lake."

Harang, though, said the Tour de France is not in his future.

"I'll leave that to Lance Armstrong," he said. But he does hope all the pedaling keeps his chain of success rolling, 5-3 with a 3.82 earned run average that includes a 1-0 loss Sunday in Detroit.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0524redsnotes.html