PDA

View Full Version : Did Dunn walk on 3 Balls....

kaldaniels
05-22-2006, 10:47 PM
In his first at bat, I swear he takes 3 balls and heads to first...I even watched twice on Tivo...what did I miss people???

flyer85
05-22-2006, 10:48 PM
In his first at bat, I swear he takes 3 balls and heads to first...I even watched twice on Tivo...what did I miss people???that's what I thought unless that first pitch on the ground really wasn't called a strike

deltachi8
05-22-2006, 10:50 PM
maybe they utilized the softball rule and just pointed to first?

Caveat Emperor
05-22-2006, 11:00 PM
In his first at bat, I swear he takes 3 balls and heads to first...I even watched twice on Tivo...what did I miss people???

Here's what MLB.com has listed for the Plate Appearence:

Pitch 1 - Called Strike
Pitch 2 - Swinging Strike
Pitch 3 - Ball
Pitch 4 - Foul
Pitch 5 - Ball
Pitch 6 - Ball
Pitch 7 - Ball

Adam Dunn walks.

muethibp
05-23-2006, 09:26 AM

Something confusing happened there because both my cousin and I thought Dunn walked on 3 balls too.

registerthis
05-23-2006, 09:38 AM
Like ancient Chinese proverb says:

Confucius is wrong. Man with four balls cannot walk.

RedFanAlways1966
05-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Perhaps FSN missed one of the pitches by showing current Albert Pujols stats or something?

:evil:

Johnny Footstool
05-23-2006, 10:03 AM
FSN definitely showed the count as 2-2 as Bush threw the pitch. Dunn took off for first, and I started chuckling a little.

I also could have sworn Bush asked the home plate ump if the count was 2-2 prior to throwing the pitch. I looked like the mouthed the words and held up two fingers. Of course, no one on the Brewers bench protested the walk, so maybe FSN just screwed up.

Joseph
05-23-2006, 10:08 AM
FSN could never show the count wrong, don't say such things! ;)

Heath
05-23-2006, 10:14 AM
FSN could never show the count wrong, don't say such things! ;)

never bite the hands tha feed you...

medford
05-23-2006, 10:16 AM
Perhaps FSN missed one of the pitches by showing current Albert Pujols stats or something?

:evil:

More likely, George was talking about Jim Edmonds, then felt obliged to talk about Albert.:)

VR
05-23-2006, 12:18 PM
He saw six pitches.

1 called strike
2 fouls
3 balls

3 possible explanations....

We didn't see pitch one because of Jr's celebration
Pitch one was really a ball, even though the umps call seemed pretty clear
He walked with a 3 ball count

Puffy
05-23-2006, 12:48 PM
This reminds me of the joke - what do you do to an elephant with 3 balls?

Walk him and pitch to the Rhino.

TeamBoone
05-23-2006, 01:25 PM
FSN definitely showed the count as 2-2 as Bush threw the pitch. Dunn took off for first, and I started chuckling a little.

I also could have sworn Bush asked the home plate ump if the count was 2-2 prior to throwing the pitch. I looked like the mouthed the words and held up two fingers. Of course, no one on the Brewers bench protested the walk, so maybe FSN just screwed up.

FSN was messing up the counts all weekend during the Detroit series. It was driving me crazy.

And has anyone noticed the shoddy camera work this season? Often when they show a replay of a close call, they show the player throwing the ball and never show the actual close-call at the end of the play or the camera anagle is too high, cutting off our view of the close-call. Seems I'm continually griping about it to myself.

RedsFanInMD
05-23-2006, 01:45 PM
My guess is that FSN missed a pitch during repeated showings of Griffey's home run. Also, Bush was working pretty fast up there.

indyred
05-23-2006, 01:49 PM
FSN was messing up the counts all weekend during the Detroit series. It was driving me crazy.

And has anyone noticed the shoddy camera work this season? Often when they show a replay of a close call, they show the player throwing the ball and never show the actual close-call at the end of the play or the camera anagle is too high, cutting off our view of the close-call. Seems I'm continually griping about it to myself.
Yes, They have been bad at following home run balls.....Didn't they just recentley get back from commercial and there was already one down in the inning...not sure if it's there fault for running long or the umpires for starting the game before the tv time out was up.....

smith288
05-23-2006, 01:52 PM
Im annoyed at how long it takes the producer to get a reply up after a great play

flyer85
05-23-2006, 02:01 PM
if so, that could be painful. Depending on whose they were of course.

Red Leader
05-23-2006, 02:09 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OMG, you kill me.

KronoRed
05-23-2006, 04:09 PM
if so, that could be painful. Depending on whose they were of course.
Ouch :help:

Ltlabner
05-23-2006, 05:05 PM
I have also noticed the lousey replays on FSN. It seems like they show the replay right up to the critical part of the play and then whamo...back to the action or it fades out to a commercial.

Blimpie
05-23-2006, 05:16 PM
FSN could never show the count wrong, don't say such things! ;)On a completely separate topic, does anybody else but me loathe the new fangled "LOB graphic" that FSN has been showing this season? I apologize if I have missed the topic in a RZ thread so far, but it is really starting to grate on my last nerve....

Everytime they break the half inning, the box graphic that USED to show only Runs/Hits/Errors has now been "improved" with the patently useless running LOB total. My guess is that a certain poofy-haired radio PBP personality might have been instrumental in an early season FSN production meeting.

I can't tell you how many times this year I have done a double-take and thought the Reds had 9 errors when I tuned into the game. A few times, they did--but I digress....

Blimpie
05-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Im annoyed at how long it takes the producer to get a reply up after a great playWord. Lately when the announcers say they are "going to go to the truck for another look at the play" I am starting to believe them literally...

Johnny Footstool
05-23-2006, 05:29 PM

Hot Shots!

reds44
05-23-2006, 07:07 PM
They just talked about it on Chris' clubhouse.

He did infact walk on 3 balls.

TeamBoone
05-23-2006, 07:07 PM
He walked on 3 balls... there were more than 3 pitches.

Wow!

Matt700wlw
05-23-2006, 07:08 PM
:lol:

I didn't notice it last night. How's that happen?

fisch11
05-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Notice that Bush didn't care. He checked with the ump on 2-2 and threw ball 3. Dunn walks and he asks for the ball back and doesn't protest. That's the funny part.

Blimpie
05-23-2006, 07:10 PM
They just talked about it on Chris' clubhouse.

He did infact walk on 3 pitches.Yep...I just saw that too. So much about the accuracy of the pitch-by-pitch summary posted earlier from MLB.com....(see CE's post # 4)

If fact, the video showed Bush asking the umpire for the count when it was a 2-2 count. Prior to that, he glanced at the scoreboard where evidently they had the count posted incorrectly.

Sounds like MLB.com (and the home plate umpire) have some splainin' to do.

JEA
05-23-2006, 08:11 PM
I was watching the game on the mlb.com gamecast while this was happening. After the third ball was entered, there seemed to be an extra long pause between the third and fourth ball. I think it was obvious even they were stumped and not sure what to do.

If the software is anything like what we used in our college sports information department, you're going to have to enter a fourth ball even if there wasn't one for a walk to be issued. Otherwise you can't get to the next batter.

Raisor
05-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Sounds like Dunn should get a stolen base too.