PDA

View Full Version : Get on with your bad self Junior!

Jr's Boy
05-23-2006, 01:51 AM
Two great plays tonight,warning track,and diving catch,plus a dinger and 3 ribbie's.But alot on here would rather have Freel or Denorfia in CF.You still da man Kenny!

NastyBoy
05-23-2006, 02:33 AM
Looks like that move to left field may be delayed at least another season. He still gets a great first break on the ball... and that is what playing centerfield is really all about.

redsfan30
05-23-2006, 12:29 PM
Just as I was switching to the "Junior to a corner" ship, he goes and flashes the leather like he did last night.

Sure was nice to see him range far in, then far back to make two very nice catches.

It was only one game though....

membengal
05-23-2006, 12:33 PM
You all do realize that someone a little more fleet afoot may not need to make a tumbling/sliding catch on that ball?

Nothing last night change's the fact that the is far more valuable to this team as a LF at this point...

shredda2000
05-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Just as I was switching to the "Junior to a corner" ship, he goes and flashes the leather like he did last night.

Sure was nice to see him range far in, then far back to make two very nice catches.

It was only one game though....

Maybe he reads REDSZONE and got inspired!!! :thumbup:

smith288
05-23-2006, 12:36 PM
Griffey slid because of his slowness, Denofria would have walked to catch it!

jk

guttle11
05-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Griffey slid because of his slowness, Denofria would have walked to catch it!

jk

In his mouth.

smith288
05-23-2006, 12:43 PM
No..you're thinking of Coombs... Don't EVER mix up Denofria with Coombs. EVER. I think I cried just a little reading that you potentially mixed the two...

44Magnum
05-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Junior should still make the move to LF. His slowness makes routine plays look spectacular.

smith288
05-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Junior should still make the move to LF. His slowness makes routine plays look spectacular.
Knew that one was coming :rolleyes:

Johnny Footstool
05-23-2006, 01:09 PM
Freel would have been able to make a play on Brady Clark's blooper to CF in the first inning, and he probably would have run down that over-the-shoulder catch Jr. made in CF.

timmario66
05-23-2006, 01:15 PM
and Freel probably would have run down that over-the-shoulder catch Jr. made in CF.

And then he would have crashed in the wall like Aaron Rowand and then placed on the DL with a broken nose:evil:

edabbs44
05-23-2006, 01:20 PM
It seems like I am the only one who is worried about JR getting hurt in CF. He makes 2 nice plays in CF and all is well again. LF would be much less taxing on his legs.

reds44
05-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Freel would have been able to make a play on Brady Clark's blooper to CF in the first inning, and he probably would have run down that over-the-shoulder catch Jr. made in CF.
Freel wouldn't have been able to hit that first inning homer either.

BRM
05-23-2006, 01:29 PM

Why is it when people discuss Freel or Deno in CF, it is assumed the person is recommending removing Junior from the lineup? It looks to me like people are advocating moving him to LF, not to the bench.

reds44
05-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Why is it when people discuss Freel or Deno in CF, it is assumed the person is recommending removing Junior from the lineup? It looks to me like people are advocating moving him to LF, not to the bench.
He can't go anywhere until Dunn moves to 1st.

paulrichjr
05-23-2006, 01:41 PM

Ahh but Dunn could move to centerfield. Just think how many more balls Dunn could "get to" then.

Johnny Footstool
05-23-2006, 01:43 PM

Junior would still be playing LF.

Dunn at 1B, Hatteberg on the bench.

edabbs44
05-23-2006, 01:47 PM
And he can't, why?

BRM
05-23-2006, 01:48 PM

I have no problem with that.

dougdirt
05-23-2006, 01:51 PM
And he can't, why?

Becuase he doesnt get to run around enough at first....he doesnt like it.

edabbs44
05-23-2006, 02:14 PM
Becuase he doesnt get to run around enough at first....he doesnt like it.
Maybe someone should show him the tapes of him in LF and tell him he might be the only person in the Cincy area who likes him in left.

Cant Touch This
05-23-2006, 02:36 PM

I'm one of the many who would like to see Jr. move to LF in order to preserve his legs and keep his bat in the lineup. However, I have to take an issue with statements like this one - and I apologize Johnny for singling you out.

But how do you know Freel would have made the play on Clark's blooper? And how do you know Freel would have run down the ball to the wall? While raw speed is certainly a plus, there is much more to playing outfield than speed and range. Unless you've been out there to shag flies for yourself, you may not realize just how difficult it can be to judge distance of a ball off the bat. Not only that, but the first-inning bloop to center fell not because of Jr's lack of speed, but because he misjudged the distance - highly due to the sun.

Freel may have caught it. Freel also may have caught the long one. Or he may have misjudged it and watch it sail over his head because he is not a natural outfielder with the years of experience Jr. has. We will never know because Freel wasn't out there.

Reds1
05-23-2006, 02:49 PM
You all do realize that someone a little more fleet afoot may not need to make a tumbling/sliding catch on that ball?

Nothing last night change's the fact that the is far more valuable to this team as a LF at this point...

Freel might be faster, but I don't think he gets the jump off the bat like Griffey. That's the rub on the whole thing and the reason he can still play CF.

Jr's Boy
05-23-2006, 06:30 PM
And Freel isn't tall enough to make a catch at the wall to try and rob a HR.

reds44
05-23-2006, 06:31 PM
I have no problem with that.
I don't either. Jerry Narron seems to have a problem with it though, and he is the one that makes up the lineup everyday.

Johnny Footstool
05-23-2006, 06:32 PM
But how do you know Freel would have made the play on Clark's blooper? And how do you know Freel would have run down the ball to the wall? While raw speed is certainly a plus, there is much more to playing outfield than speed and range.

Speculation, of course, but Freel's best position is CF -- he has good instincts and gets a good read. His speed is a double-plus over Junior's. Each of those plays mentioned involved a combination of speed plus instinct. At this time, Freel's speed + instinct outweigh Junior's. IMO.

reds44
05-23-2006, 06:33 PM
And Freel isn't tall enough to make a catch at the wall to try and rob a HR.
That doesn't change the fact Griffey doesn't cover much ground at all in Center anymore. I have said on many occasion that if we want a good defensive CFer, it isn't currently in the organization. That includes Deno, Freel, and Junior.

guttle11
05-23-2006, 06:35 PM
That doesn't change the fact Griffey doesn't cover much ground at all in Center anymore. I have said on many occasion that if we want a good defensive CFer, it isn't currently in the organization. That includes Deno, Freel, and Junior.

But Griffey is a good defensive CFer, I don't get why he isn't. You could say he's not great anymore, but to say he's not good is wrong, IMO.

reds44
05-23-2006, 06:37 PM
But Griffey is a good defensive CFer, I don't get why he isn't. You could say he's not great anymore, but to say he's not good is wrong, IMO.
Griffey is a very good offensive center fielder, and who said he wasn't?

BRM
05-23-2006, 06:37 PM
Wasn't Griffey ranked at or near the bottom in Dewan's Fielding Bible?

guttle11
05-23-2006, 06:38 PM

No one, you said he wasn't a good defensive CF, which I disagreed with.

Benny-Distefano
05-23-2006, 06:41 PM

I think the point of contention here can be illustrated by the following:

Griffey is in CF
A fly ball is hit where it will bounce 2 feet in front of Griffey if he doesnt catch it.
Griffey remains motionless, the ball is about to land.
At the last second, Griffey DIVES toward the ball, just barely catching it.

BAM! Highlight reel for Jr.

Sarcastic Sidenote: Man, those were some awesome catches by Jr last night, weren't they? Clearly the man belongs in CF, judging by how exciting those catches were that he made. Plus, he hits a lot of homeruns, so I think leaving him in CF is the only alternative. Anyone who feels differently is just a Griffey-hater and clearly is not a true Reds Fan. ;) /endsarcasm

KronoRed
05-23-2006, 06:42 PM
/\
That's how Edmonds wins gold gloves ;)

reds44
05-23-2006, 06:45 PM

Edmonds is in CF
A fly ball is hit where it will bounce 2 feet in front of Edmonds if he doesnt catch it.
Edmonds remains motionless, the ball is about to land.
At the last second, Edmonds DIVES toward the ball, just barely catching it.

BAM! Highlight reel for Edmonds

fixed.

guttle11
05-23-2006, 06:48 PM

Griffey is in CF
A fly ball is hit where it will bounce 2 feet in front of Griffey if he doesnt catch it.
Griffey remains motionless, the ball is about to land.
At the last second, Griffey DIVES toward the ball, just barely catching it.

BAM! Highlight reel for Jr.

Sarcastic Sidenote: Man, those were some awesome catches by Jr last night, weren't they? Clearly the man belongs in CF, judging by how exciting those catches were that he made. Plus, he hits a lot of homeruns, so I think leaving him in CF is the only alternative. Anyone who feels differently is just a Griffey-hater and clearly is not a true Reds Fan. ;) /endsarcasm

Oh wow. He is a list of why Griffey is a good CF:

1. He doesn't make errors
2. If a ball is hit, and he is able to get it, he does. Sliding, diving, jumping, running, standing, cart-wheeling, spinning, riding a unicycle...

His range isn't what it used to be, but that only means he's not great CFer, not that he's not good.

NastyBoy
05-23-2006, 11:42 PM
Another big game for Junior. He will probably end up leading the team in RBIs despite missing a month.

redsfan30
05-23-2006, 11:47 PM
I agree with Guttle. Junior is not great in center anymore because of the lost range over the years. But I just chuckle every time I see "he's the worst center fielder in the game" posted on these boards.

Betterread
05-24-2006, 12:02 AM
Great game for junior. He still gets respect for me for the way he plays CF. He is not what he was, but he is the best the Reds have, and Reds fans do not have to feel shame to have him as their CF. Nothing but pride to watch a true professional.

EKURed
05-24-2006, 01:04 AM
Junior is a good center fielder...even better that he catches EVERYTHING he gets to and he's got a pretty decent stick at the plate too, wouldn't you say? Pretty impressive that his last 5 home runs have given the Reds the lead. Honestly, who would you rather have up in a clutch situation? He is the KEY to the lineup. I really like him hitting behind Lopez and Plillips with all of their speed....it's a good fit.

dougdirt
05-24-2006, 01:26 AM
Another big game for Junior. He will probably end up leading the team in RBIs despite missing a month.

By the all star break!

Jr's Boy
05-24-2006, 02:29 AM
Junior is a good center fielder...even better that he catches EVERYTHING he gets to and he's got a pretty decent stick at the plate too, wouldn't you say? Pretty impressive that his last 5 home runs have given the Reds the lead. Honestly, who would you rather have up in a clutch situation? He is the KEY to the lineup. I really like him hitting behind Lopez and Plillips with all of their speed....it's a good fit.

Run production,thats the bottom line baby.:cool:

savafan
05-24-2006, 09:32 AM
Just a few days ago I started a thread about how I didn't think Junior could play centerfield anymore. Then, I go to last night's game and I get the opportunity to watch Junior play in person and I see him make a full out running catch slamming into the wall which brought me to my feet. I asked, out loud, is the Kid back in town? Next time Junior came up to the plate, I stood, along with the other 16,000 and change at the stadium, to give him another ovation, and what does he do? Three run homerun, after which, I loudly exclaim, "The Kid is back in town!"

Last night, getting my first opportunity to watch Junior play live (not on FSN), it really didn't look like he lost a step at all in the field. He was getting great jumps on every ball hit to him, and really invigorating the crowd. It was a late May game against the Brewers for crying out loud, but with the noise and excitement in GABP, you would have thought it was the 7th game of the world series. Ain't baseball great!

registerthis
05-24-2006, 09:44 AM
Last night, getting my first opportunity to watch Junior play live (not on FSN), it really didn't look like he lost a step at all in the field. He was getting great jumps on every ball hit to him, and really invigorating the crowd. It was a late May game against the Brewers for crying out loud, but with the noise and excitement in GABP, you would have thought it was the 7th game of the world series. Ain't baseball great!

And that's why we go to games. I love that stuff. :)

deltachi8
05-24-2006, 09:51 AM
I hope its not an aberation, i truly don't. However, I was at the game Saturday in Detroit and he looked slow, played awfully deep on everyone and had 3-4 balls drop in that should have been caught.

shredda2000
05-24-2006, 09:54 AM
IMHO, when you have had as many injuries as Griffey has, you have to be a little "gunshy" about going all out. However, only Griffey knows his limitations and I think right now he is comfortable playing at (or near) 100%.

Right now, all the Reds seem to be having fun and it is great to see...

GO REDS!!!

lollipopcurve
05-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Just a few days ago I started a thread about how I didn't think Junior could play centerfield anymore. Then, I go to last night's game and I get the opportunity to watch Junior play in person and I see him make a full out running catch slamming into the wall which brought me to my feet. I asked, out loud, is the Kid back in town? Next time Junior came up to the plate, I stood, along with the other 16,000 and change at the stadium, to give him another ovation, and what does he do? Three run homerun, after which, I loudly exclaim, "The Kid is back in town!"

Good stuff, savafan. Griffey is one of the greatest baseball players ever, and his battle through injuries deepens his greatness. When he flashes the athleticism he had as a youngster, you're looking at more than the power of genetics -- you're looking at Hall of Fame willpower.

As much as I love watching the fine young players on the Reds, Griffey is still a better baseball player than all of them, in my opinion.

Hoosier Red
05-24-2006, 11:21 AM
I hope its not an abberation, i truly don't. However, I was at the game Saturday in Detroit and he looked slow, played awfully deep on everyone and had 3-4 balls drop in that should have been caught.

Could that be because of the massive Comerica park though?

redsfan30
05-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Outfielders should play deep in Comerica Park. Singles that fall in front of an outfielder don't do near as much damage as balls that get over thier heads because they were playing shallow that go for doubles and triples.

deltachi8
05-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Could that be because of the massive Comerica park though?

A bit. Hoevere, even the Tiger announcers who see all thegames there refernced it.