PDA

View Full Version : Cody Ross back Wednesday?/Ross Activated Burns Optioned

Redhook
05-23-2006, 07:00 AM
"Move coming? The Reds should have a roster move to make Wednesday, when outfielder Cody Ross' 20-day Minor League rehabilitation assignment ends. Ross hasn't played since bruising his left pinky when hit by a pitch April 28." - Reds.com

I know alot of people were wondering when/if Cody Ross will be back. Wednesday is the day the Reds have to make a move. Ross is playing well right now in Louisville:

Individual Stats (Batting) (click column headers to sort)
Player POS G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG OPS E
Cody Ross OF 15 50 11 17 1 0 3 6 27 13 12 0 2 .484 .540 .340 1.024 1

I'm guessing McCracken goes with his .206 average, but could a trade be out there?

Heath
05-23-2006, 07:24 AM
Q leaving is my guess.

Mercker gets off the DL on Friday, and that should signal the end of Mike Burns.

redsfanfalcon
05-23-2006, 07:47 AM
I hope Quinton and Burns are gone. Burns was throwing a little BP last night.

oneupper
05-23-2006, 08:04 AM
We have to be able to deal SOMEONE to some team out there.
The Yankees, for example, started TERRANCE LONG in LF last night.
Talk about a dearth of starting outfielders.

Give the Yanks Q for Himes and Howard.

edabbs44
05-23-2006, 08:11 AM
Q leaving is my guess.

Mercker gets off the DL on Friday, and that should signal the end of Mike Burns.
Doesn't solve the problem known as Rick White...

EKURed
05-23-2006, 08:12 AM
We have to be able to deal SOMEONE to some team out there.
The Yankees, for example, started TERRANCE LONG in LF last night.
Talk about a dearth of starting outfielders.

Give the Yanks Q for Himes and Howard.

With those two moves coming this week, the Reds get much better....

Joseph
05-23-2006, 09:14 AM
Is Mercker ok? I know when he first went on the DL some of the radio guys were speculating it might be very serious.

Danny Serafini
05-23-2006, 09:42 AM
Doesn't seem too serious, he should be ready to go Friday. From reds.com:

Notes: Mercker ready to pitch
Left-hander feels fine and has been medically cleared to play
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Left-handed reliever Kent Mercker felt ready, willing and able to pitch for the Reds again on Monday.

Only one problem -- he wasn't available, not yet anyway.

Mercker, who hopes to face hitters in simulated action on Wednesday, is expected to step right back into his late-inning bullpen role when he returns. Lefties Chris Hammond and Brian Shackelford have taken some of his innings.

"I don't know about control-wise right now, but I feel healthy enough that I could pitch tonight," said Mercker, who has a 3.52 ERA in 12 appearances this season. "I don't care how long you do this, you still have to get on the mound a couple of times and work through your mechanics to where this doesn't happen again."

Before going on the DL, Mercker was given a cortisone shot that lessened the inflammation. An MRI test taken last week was negative for anything serious. Doctors told the pitcher that he had "an old elbow," not a surprising finding since the 38-year-old has been pitching in the big leagues since 1989.

"I was like, 'I could have saved $700 and 45 minutes and told you that before I got here," Mercker joked. "I've got an old knee. I've got old feet. I've got an old wife."

Besides throwing 38 pitches in the bullpen, Mercker also did some long-tossing -- which he thought was an important test.

"That's one thing when I was kind of battling this, I couldn't do," Mercker said. "I'd get weak when I do that and then try to overthrow."

Mercker is expected to step right back into his late-inning bullpen role when he returns. Lefties Chris Hammond and Brian Shackelford have taken some of his innings.

Danny Serafini
05-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Anyone think we may see them go to an 11 man pitching staff? Burns and Shackelford both go to Louisville to make room for Mercker and Ross, with McCracken staying. Just a thought.

UPRedsFan
05-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Q wouldn't be the one staying if they went to 11 man pitching staff. They'd bring Olmedo back instead. I think Shackleford will stay.

traderumor
05-23-2006, 10:21 AM
I've got an old wife.

Dude is brave.

roby
05-23-2006, 11:28 AM
With that wise remark about his wife, look for Mercker to return to the DL instead of being ready Friday! :help:

Danny Serafini
05-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Q wouldn't be the one staying if they went to 11 man pitching staff. They'd bring Olmedo back instead. I think Shackleford will stay.

There's no need for Olmedo with Freel and Aurilia already here and able to back up all of the infield spots.

saboforthird
05-23-2006, 12:03 PM
As far as I am concerned, his butt can stay on the DL. Not much public respect for his wife, and he always gives me the impression (not a fact, just an impression, LOL) that's just biding his time.

TeamBoone
05-23-2006, 01:21 PM
As far as I am concerned, his butt can stay on the DL. Not much public respect for his wife, and he always gives me the impression (not a fact, just an impression, LOL) that's just biding his time.

I think you're over reacting... I'm fairly certain he meant it as a joke because he was calling everything old in that comment.

edabbs44
05-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Why all the love for Ross? I think this Cody Ross situation is almost as crazy as the Deno situation. What makes Ross any better than Denorfia? Kriv seems to be putting the team in this situation a lot so far (picking up these guys with no options left) and I hope he doesn't shoot himself in the foot in the future where he has to drop someone of value. Phillips worked out great and DRoss is kind of clogging up the roster since Kriv doesn't want to drop any catchers. Kriv has been lucky since there has been a lot of dead weight on the roster.

Reds1
05-23-2006, 02:06 PM
I hope to see Cody back. Can he do a rehab stent? Everyday I log on to Redzone I expect to see some kind of trade with one of our catchers, Cody, or someone, but it hasn't happended. We might be stuck with the pen we currently have. Hopefully merk is healhty.

flyer85
05-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Can he do a rehab stent?... been doing that for the last three weeks.

Joseph
05-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Why all the love for Ross? I think this Cody Ross situation is almost as crazy as the Deno situation. What makes Ross any better than Denorfia? Kriv seems to be putting the team in this situation a lot so far (picking up these guys with no options left) and I hope he doesn't shoot himself in the foot in the future where he has to drop someone of value. Phillips worked out great and DRoss is kind of clogging up the roster since Kriv doesn't want to drop any catchers. Kriv has been lucky since there has been a lot of dead weight on the roster.

You make a lot of sense on one hand. He has done this alot already [acquiring players who have to be on the 25 man roster]. So far the dice rolling has paid off big.

But then again in his defense, is there really anything on the 40 man outside maybe the top 12-15 guys that it would really hurt if we lost them? To paraphrase the great Branch Rickey "We sucked with them, we can suck without them."

Kc61
05-23-2006, 02:42 PM
I wonder what the Reds will do with Ross. If they bring him up, which is necessary to keep him, McCracken seems like the odd man out. But Q can hit lefty (only Valentin on bench hits lefty) and can play centerfield (don't think Ross can).

I'm sure most people would rather keep Ross, as would I, since he has more upside. But with 12 pitchers and 3 catchers, team has room for only 3 non-catcher bench guys. Freel, Aurilia and who? Does Ross -- who only plays LF or RF -- provide enough flexibility for that spot? Do the Reds need a lefthanded bat (Ross hits righty) in that spot?

I'm interested to see how Krivsky handles this.

flyer85
05-23-2006, 02:53 PM
But Q can hit lefty bats LH would be the correct way to refer to it

Ross can play CF, certainly as well as the ball dropping QM.

CaiGuy
05-23-2006, 02:59 PM
It's simple really:

Ross>Mcracken

He's younger and better, and actauly has a bit of an upside. Don't keep someone inferior because he tries to bat left-handed.

Kc61
05-23-2006, 03:03 PM
It's simple really:

Ross>Mcracken

He's younger and better, and actauly has a bit of an upside. Don't keep someone inferior because he tries to bat left-handed.

I agree. But the bench would work better, IMO, if team only carried 2 catchers.

Big Klu
05-23-2006, 03:04 PM
I think you can keep both C.Ross and McCracken. In my opinion, the best move is to send down a pitcher to make room for C. Ross:

1) Activate OF Cody Ross. Option RHP Mike Burns.

2) Activate LHP Kent Mercker. Option LHP Brian Shackelford or DFA RHP Rick White.

This leaves the club with 11 pitchers, which is plenty.

NJReds
05-23-2006, 03:07 PM
From Marc's blog:

Ross in, Burns out

Cody Ross' eternal rehab assignment is over. He was activated from the DL today and Mike Burns was optioned back to Louisville.

Guess it is a bit intriguing that they're going down to 11 pitchers, but that might only last a couple of days, pending Mercker's expected return Friday.

timmario66
I think you can keep both C.Ross and McCracken. In my opinion, the best move is to send down a pitcher to make room for C. Ross:

2) Activate LHP Kent Mercker. Option LHP Brian Shackelford or DFA RHP Rick White.

And we have a winner according to Marc's blog.

Kc61
Gold star for Big Klu.

CaiGuy
05-23-2006, 03:11 PM

Good call, we'll have wait and see what they do with Merker. I hope White's time here is finished.

Kc61
05-23-2006, 03:18 PM
I hope they keep Shack. I think his bad ERA is the result of one or two terrible outings in a mop up role. I don't know the stats but he seems to do well against lefties and is good for that limited role.

I also think White should be the odd man out. Hammond is pitching much better and can be used more often in meaningful spots. Belisle, occasionally, too. Of course, Reds may reverse course, add Mercker as 12th pitcher, and drop a position player.

flyer85
05-23-2006, 03:20 PM
I hope they keep Shack. I think his bad ERA is the result of one or two terrible outings in a mop up role. I don't know the stats but he seems to do well against lefties and is good for that limited role.LH hitters are 1-17 against Shack this year. He could be very good if spotted as a LOOGY. I am not sure Narron has a clue how to setup a bullpen to make use of a LOOGY.

Joseph
05-23-2006, 03:28 PM

I shall neg you for being a witch!

Guacarock
05-23-2006, 03:29 PM
My hunch:

Shackelford will get a return trip to Louisville to make room for Mercker.

We'll go with a six-man pen for a few weeks.

We don't really need an expanded pen right now, not with the consistent starts being racked up by Harang and Arroyo and not with the erratic Williams gone from the rotation.

Besides, why carry any seventh reliever with an ERA greater than 7? Rick White with his 6.87 ERA ought to be the absolute, uppper limits of our tolerance, and as is, he's on pretty thin ice for such a big guy.

traderumor
05-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Mike Burns is now eating Louisville worms. I figgered last night had him packing and gassing up, but I didn't see it coming until Friday. I guess McCracken is employed until Friday, unless someone is injured between now and then (crosses fingers).

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/2006/05/ross-in-burns-out.asp

Cody Ross' eternal rehab assignment is over. He was activated from the DL today and Mike Burns was optioned back to Louisville.

Guess it is a bit intriguing that they're going down to 11 pitchers, but that might only last a couple of days, pending Mercker's expected return Friday.

posted by Marc at 3:03 PM

traderumor
05-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Oops, I looked but did not see it posted in the other Ross thread, but now see it is in there. Merge or lock, sorry.

Guacarock
05-23-2006, 03:36 PM
LH hitters are 1-17 against Shack this year. He could be very good if spotted as a LOOGY. I am not sure Narron has a clue how to setup a bullpen to make use of a LOOGY.

Excellent point about Shackelford. I do think he could resurface later this season in just such a specialized, limited role.

But I don't see him as a keeper in the bullpen if it's reduced to a six-man contingent, not with two other southpaws, Mercker and Hammond, among the fold.

Shackelford has the option and is the easy option to move temporarily to Louisville. He could be back soon enough, or perhaps we'll see a fresher face from Chattanooga, as in Shafer, Coutlangas, Dumatrait or Guevara. All are flashing plenty of promise this summer.

Matt700wlw
05-23-2006, 04:18 PM
The Reds today returned from a rehabilitation assignment and reinstated from the 15-day disabled list OF Cody Ross.

To make room for Ross on the roster, RHP Mike Burns was optioned to Louisville.

#16 CODY ROSS, of (.467, 2hr, 9rbi, 1sb): Media guide bio is available in the press box...since 5/5 has been on a rehabilitation assignment at Class AAA Louisville (15g, .340, 3hr, 6rbi)...on 5/2 went on the 15-day disabled list with a bruised left pinky finger...on 4/28 vs Hou made his Reds debut, pinch hit and struck out...during that plate appearance was hit on the left pinky finger while swinging at a Roy Oswalt pitch...X-rays were negative, but he didn't play in 3g before he went on the DL...on 4/24 was acquired from the Dodgers in exchange for a PTBNL...took the roster spot vacated by IF/OF Tony Womack, who was designated for assignment...made 8 apps for LAD, including starts in RF on 4/10 at Pit (2-4, 1 3b, 1rbi) and 4/13 at Pit (3-5, 2hr, 7rbi)...in that career game on 4/13 at Pit hit a grand slam off Oliver Perez and a 3-run HR off Damaso Marte...began the season with the Dodgers...on 4/17 was designated for assignment.

reds44
05-23-2006, 04:38 PM

Wow nice call!

It is good to see Cody back.

Reds1
05-23-2006, 04:40 PM
... been doing that for the last three weeks.

Man, I need to be looking at the AAA box. I am going right now to see how he and Wagner are doing. Too darn busy these days. thanks

reds44
05-23-2006, 04:41 PM
I have a question about Cody since I don't know alot about him.

What are his skill sets? Is he a speed guy, power guy, a little bit of both? How is his defense in the outfield? WHo would you compare him to in the majors?

thanks

pedro
05-23-2006, 04:58 PM

What are his skill sets? Is he a speed guy, power guy, a little bit of both? How is his defense in the outfield? WHo would you compare him to in the majors?

thanks

He looks to be a David Delucci type.

here are Ross' minor league stats.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/R/cody-ross.shtml

reds44
05-23-2006, 05:01 PM
He looks to be a David Delucci type.

here are Ross' minor league stats.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/R/cody-ross.shtml
Gracias

Guacarock
05-23-2006, 05:04 PM

thanks

He's a plus defender, with fair speed and some definite pop in his bat for a little guy. He could hit in the .260-.280 range, but it's hard to tell. He's kicked around the minor leagues awhile, but only enjoyed a few cups of coffee in the majors.

Oh, by the way, he's one of the rare positional players who throws left-handed and bats RH. The most famous of these elusive creatures: Ricky Henderson.

Falls City Beer
05-23-2006, 05:06 PM
"Agent" Cody Ross

Falls City Beer
05-23-2006, 05:07 PM
The most famous of these elusive creatures: Ricky Henderson.

Yeah, but Rickey has four toes on each paw and occasionally bites when threatened.

KronoRed
05-23-2006, 05:40 PM
"Agent" Cody Ross
He's good..but he's no Deno.

boognish
05-23-2006, 05:51 PM
What will Cody Ross's role become the rest of the season? I envision him being the fourth OF (the obvious choice), but could this lead to dunn starting a few games at 1B and featuring Ross with Kearns and Griffey in the outfield?

GridironGrace
05-23-2006, 07:00 PM
Narron just confirmed this on the radio and its up on the reds site :)

Was coming to let you all know but as always someones on top of it :)

LexingtonRedsFan
05-23-2006, 07:14 PM
With the DFA of dave williams, Im kind of surprised that burns wasnt also DFA'd.....anyone think we will see burns back up here this season.....:deadhorse

deltachi8
05-23-2006, 07:18 PM
I shall neg you for being a witch!

what, he's made of wood?

REDREAD
05-24-2006, 08:00 AM
Dude is brave.

Mercker comes up with some of the best quotes :lol:

REDREAD
05-24-2006, 08:06 AM
Phillips worked out great and DRoss is kind of clogging up the roster since Kriv doesn't want to drop any catchers. Kriv has been lucky since there has been a lot of dead weight on the roster.

I think that Kriv has been picking up these guys precisely because there's a lot of dead weight on the roster. It's a cheap way to incrementally improve your roster.

Some rules (like the 40 man roster, out of options) are designed to help redistribute talent to the weaker teams. Kriv is taking advantage of the system, unlike DanO, who had no clue to even try that route.

It's just so nice not to have some totally overmatched minor leaguer on the team (like Machado + Bergollia) for an extended period of time. Nice to have some depth.

Big Klu
05-24-2006, 09:37 AM
what, he's made of wood?

No, I weigh the same as a duck! :D

TeamBoone
05-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Reds' Mercker gets lots of laughs ... except from mother-in-law
By Hal McCoy / Staff Writer

CINCINNATI | On nights he doesn't pitch, which isn't often, Cincinnati Reds reliever Kent Mercker could appear on the HBO comedy show One Night Stand, or he could go on Jeopardy and probably win.

Mercker missed the entire 2001 season after he suffered a brain aneurysm while on the mound pitching for the Anaheim Angels. Of course, he jokes about it now as he explains how it happened.

"My brain was already full of information, and when the pitching coach came to give me one more piece of information, that was too much. My brain exploded," he said.

Mercker, 38, is scheduled to come off the disabled list (sore elbow) tonight when the Reds begin a killer stretch on their schedule, beginning with a three-game series this weekend against the Arizona Diamondbacks, leaders of the National League West.

After the Reds visit Chicago to start next week, June arrives and the schedule tightens down: Houston, St. Louis, the Chicago White Sox, the New York Mets and two series against Cleveland.

"It'll be good to get Mercker back so we have another good, solid left-hander in the bullpen," Reds manager Jerry Narron said.

And it will be good to have him on the road next week in Chicago, Houston and St. Louis. His pitching and his humor were missed when the Reds went 2-4 on a trip to Pittsburgh and Detroit.

Mercker threw in the bullpen Monday and said, "I threw about 38 pitches, which is about two-thirds of an inning for me. I need to build that up to 50."

He threw again Wednesday, and when asked if he got it up to 50, he said, "Fifty miles an hour? Almost. Oh, you mean pitches? Well, I aired it out today, threw hard until I got tired."

Asked when he got tired, he said, "After seven pitches."

It also was Mercker who said he had an MRI, and the doctor told him he had an old elbow. Said Mercker, "I could have saved you $700 and 45 minutes. I have an old elbow, old feet, old knees and an old wife."

Mercker said his wife received nine phone calls before 8 a.m. the next morning when that appeared in the newspaper and, "My mother-in-law called — called me a foul name and hung up."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0526redsweb.html