PDA

View Full Version : Guess Who's Interested in Dave Williams...

redsfan30
05-23-2006, 11:35 AM
Go ahead, just take a guess!!

Interest in Williams?

If any club entertains an interest in Dave Williams, the pitcher the Reds designated for assignment Saturday, it would be Milwaukee.

Former Reds General Manager Dan O'Brien, the man who traded Sean Casey to Pittsburgh to get Williams, is a special assistant to Brewers GM Doug Melvin.

The Brewers are doing their due diligence, inquiring about Williams, but won't give the Reds much in return, and they feel the $1 million he is still owed is too much.
Too predictable.

:laugh:

Joseph
05-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Nice :)

An A ball player and taking his salary works for me.

smith288
05-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Can we convice the Cards to take O'Brien?

harangatang
05-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Dave Williams for Ben Sheets straight up.

smith288
05-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Dave Williams for Ben Sheets straight up.
Riiiiiiiiiiiight. I know you are joking but I will be Technical Teddy and say that Sheets' on the DL... otherwise DanO would be SO all over that deal

flyer85
05-23-2006, 11:41 AM
as a trading chip Williams has little value and the Brewers problem is the same as the Reds, lack of overall pitching depth in both the rotation and the pen.

Although if I was the Reds I would inquire about Mike Adams

smith288
05-23-2006, 11:42 AM
as a trading chip Williams has little value and the Brewers problem is the same as the Reds, lack of overall pitching depth in both the rotation and the pen.
Shhhhh... Williams just needs a "change of scenery".

M2
05-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Though he's got some control issues, I'd love to get ahold of Dennis Sarfate.

flyer85
05-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Though he's got some control issues, I'd love to get ahold of Dennis Sarfate.in his case it is a large issue as he seemingly hasn't made any real progress in that area in his minor league career.

M2
05-23-2006, 11:55 AM
in his case it is a large issue as he seemingly hasn't made any real progress in that area in his minor league career.

Big arm, great frame though and he's been healthy. For Dave Williams, who really should have no value, I'd take a chance on that kind of high reward talent. You've got to assume you'd be dealing for a long shot, might as well make it a long shot with a big potential payoff.

pedro
05-23-2006, 12:05 PM
But Dan O, he's a #1 starter, remember?

flyer85
05-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Big arm, great frame though and he's been healthy. For Dave Williams, who really should have no value, I'd take a chance on that kind of high reward talent. You've got to assume you'd be dealing for a long shot, might as well make it a long shot with a big potential payoff.Obviously if you want to unload Williams you have to take whatever is offered if there is no market. I guess we will find out in the next week.

Heath
05-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Obviously if you want to unload Williams you have to take whatever is offered if there is no market. I guess we will find out in the next week.

Bag of used Rawlings, a broken bat, and an old Greg Vaughn Jersey from Tampa Bay.

Plus, we still have to kick in $750,000.

BoCcc2832
05-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Actually, I thought Jim Bowden from the Nationals would have wanted him. He wants to recreate the Nats into old Reds rejects. That's even funnier

BoCcc2832
05-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Reds hope to trade Williams

The Reds have another week to decide what to do with Dave Williams, with the preferred avenue a trade that would allow Cincinnati to salvage something in return for the left-hander.

There have been rumblings that the New York Mets might be interested, but nothing concrete has surfaced yet. There may not even be a trade; the Reds could lose Williams on waivers, or he could clear and accept an outright assignment to Louisville.

The uncertainty has left Williams in a wait-and-see mode, said his agent, Billy Martin Jr.

"He's bummed," Martin said. "He wanted to make it work. He wanted to win some games there."

Instead, the Reds' only return from the Sean Casey trade at the moment is the money they saved in the deal, which was significant in its own right. Though there is a possibility Williams could remain in the organization, the writing on the wall is that the Reds didn't think he could help them, otherwise he would have simply been optioned to Louisville to work out the kinks.

"We certainly were caught off-guard," said Martin. "I thought it was going to be such a good fit."

Marc Lancaster

Benny-Distefano
05-23-2006, 02:04 PM
"We certainly were caught off-guard," said Martin. "I thought it was going to be such a good fit."

Marc Lancaster

We did too. And then Williams started into his windup. From then on, expectations pretty much went into the toilet.

traderumor
05-23-2006, 02:15 PM
"We certainly were caught off-guard," said Martin. "I thought it was going to be such a good fit."I thought that about this pair of jeans I bought but didn't try on until I saw the sticker on the jeans was 32 and not 52

Falls City Beer
05-23-2006, 02:19 PM
Sarfate would be an absolutely brilliant target. But with Kriv's mass shedding of control-hindered power arms, I don't imagine Wayne's all that interested--unfortunately.

MattyHo4Life
05-23-2006, 02:22 PM
If the Cards aren't interesed, then I doubt LaRussa was never serious about those comments he made about Williams. I always doubted them, but you never know.

flyer85
05-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Sarfate would be an absolutely brilliant target. But with Kriv's mass shedding of control-hindered power arms, I don't imagine Wayne's all that interested--unfortunately.maybe the Brewers will trade Simpson for him.

Falls City Beer
05-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Where do I sign up for that one? Completely serious, btw.

Red Thunder
05-23-2006, 02:45 PM
What's the reason that the Reds didn't demote him to AAA (Williams has still an option) .... in this case they would have an insurance later in the year, in case Ramirez or Milton struggle. Does management think there is no hope left? After all Williams was never that bad before.

From my knowledge the Reds don't have very capable starting pitching reserves at AAA.

Current alternatives:
- Justin Germano: 4.36 ERA
- Chris Michalak: 3.94 ERA
- Darrell May: 3.86 ERA
- Michael Gosloing: 5.35 ERA
- Josh Hall: 4.97 ERA
and of course rehabbing Paul Wilson

oneupper
05-23-2006, 02:49 PM
What's the reason that the Reds didn't demote him to AAA (Williams has still an option) ....

And the REDS can still do that until the DFA deadline (10 days)...
If they can't get a deal done, they probably will.

flyer85
05-23-2006, 02:51 PM
And the REDS can still do that until the DFA deadline (10 days)...
If they can't get a deal done, they probably will.The DFA allows the Reds to figure out what to do without actually sending him to the launch pad (sometimes referred to as a pitching mound but that really doesn't fit in his case).

IslandRed
05-23-2006, 02:59 PM
I agree with FCB, Sarfate doesn't seem like Krivsky's kind of guy. I don't think Wayne has a problem with hard throwers -- the Twins' system is full of them -- but I think he doesn't care to waste time with older used-to-be-prospects who never learned to consistently throw strikes.

Now, I'd be more inclined to champion the likes of Sarfate even with his wildness, except that he doesn't miss bats the way he used to. I don't know if his arm isn't what it was or if he's done so much physical and mental tinkering to combat his wildness that it's taken the edge off his stuff. But his K/9 is no longer remarkable, and it's heading south. Still, as a classic "better than nothing" scenario, why not.

But I wonder who the Brewers might offer up if we paid Williams' whole deal? We're on the hook for the money anyway...

flyer85
05-23-2006, 03:14 PM
I agree with FCB, Sarfate doesn't seem like Krivsky's kind of guy it is hard to imagine the Brewers offering anything with real value.

Unassisted
05-23-2006, 03:54 PM
I'd vote that the Reds should agree to pay 100% of Williams salary, but ask for the moon in return. :thumbup:

Ltlabner
05-23-2006, 04:00 PM
I wish I was a fly on the wall durring those trade negotiations (assuming DanO would be in them). He would blather on and on about how $1m is too much money, that we are asking too much, that no team in their right mind would think Williams is worth the money, etc etc. It would be funny to listen to him try to talk his worth down.

This is priceless.

KronoRed
05-23-2006, 04:08 PM
What could Dan O possibly see in Williams?

BRM
05-23-2006, 04:11 PM
What could Dan O possibly see in Williams?

Clearly he sees a potential #1 starter. :p:

KronoRed
05-23-2006, 04:13 PM
Clearly he sees a potential #1 starter. :p:
I think his glasses are broken...and looking into the Phantom zone

kbrake
05-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Its almost as if DanO reads Redszone and feels bad for all the crap he did so he is just throwing us a bone. It just seems unreal that someone would make one of their worst trades twice. I know it would not be for Casey again, but Williams has shown he is worth nothing at all.

dabvu2498
05-23-2006, 04:22 PM
If they can get some one to take DW and pay 2/3 of his remaining salary, that would be great.

wojo1025
05-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Could Williams end up being the PTBNL in the Phillips deal? Has a player been named yet? June 1 was the deadline, correct?

Benny-Distefano
05-23-2006, 05:37 PM
If they Brewers are willing to pay ANY of Williams salary, even with nothing to offer in return, I say ya gotta pull the trigger.

Handofdeath
05-23-2006, 08:29 PM
If they Brewers are willing to pay ANY of Williams salary, even with nothing to offer in return, I say ya gotta pull the trigger.

The Brewers could probably get him for a roll of quarters.

BigRed
05-23-2006, 09:52 PM
Don't expect much from anyone. Very low prospect or a castoff from another club.

JohhnyBench1001
05-23-2006, 10:04 PM
Fellas we only had to give up the infamous PTBNL in the Phillips deal..........a young player with a ton of upside. Williams is longer in the tooth, and is nowhere near the talent that Phillips had obviously. If someone would just take the contract and clear room for perhaps enough money to make a move I would be thrilled and suprised..............and if someone actually offers us a prospect for DW I'll call him a.............O'Brien...hehehe. We are most likelly on the hook for a large portion of DWs contract, and he goes away.

saboforthird
05-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Given that the Reds frequently face Cy Young type pitching, maybe DanO feels DW will ensure his club an extra 4 or 5 wins a season. ;)

Ltlabner
05-23-2006, 10:17 PM
If we can just unload him and get DanO to pick up a majority of his sallary I'd be happy. Any prospects would be added bonus.

Of course, based on his track record we might be able to snooker DanO into giving his GM bad advice and take him to the cleaners. :owned: