PDA

View Full Version : Most memorable baseball brawls

Matt700wlw
05-23-2006, 05:35 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0605/gallery.basebrawl/content.1.html#

:bash: :bash: :bash:

Heath
05-23-2006, 05:49 PM
No mention of the 1984 Plunkfest between the Padres and Braves. That was a doozy. Pascual Perez was involved - no surprise there.

TRF
05-23-2006, 05:50 PM
No Soto vs. Claudell Washington? Ray Knight vs. Eric Davis?

westofyou
05-23-2006, 05:55 PM
No Billy Martin?

Shame

http://baseballminutia.com

Falls City Beer
05-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Barrett's punch to Pier was a bit of a suckerpunch, but, boy, it must have felt good to hit that bunghole. I have a new respect for Mr. Barrett, even if he is a Cub.

Reds Fanatic
05-23-2006, 06:05 PM
What about the Lou Pinella/Rob Dibble lockerroom fight.

KronoRed
05-23-2006, 06:38 PM
Ventura/Ryan doesn't really count as a brawl..Ryan routed him.

vaticanplum
05-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Does anybody else find that picture of Farnsworth and Wilson kinda, well, sexy?

Anybody?

Heath
05-23-2006, 07:13 PM

Anybody?

I'm docking you rep points for that - don't you have to get to work or something? :D

KronoRed
05-23-2006, 07:22 PM

Anybody?
Ewwwwwwww

Crosley68
05-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Does anyone remember the mix-em-up Pedro Borbon had with someone in the 70's? I dont remember the details but I recall it was rather hysterical.

Duh: I just read about it in the article.......it was the sideshow to the Rose-Harrelson bout.

KittyDuran
05-23-2006, 10:31 PM

Anybody?You know it's bad when you go back to review the pic...:bang: Mmmm, maybe. I'll give ya some rep points back for interjecting sex in a otherwise bad list... :thumbup:

KittyDuran
05-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Does anyone remember the mix-em-up Pedro Borbon had with someone in the 70's? I dont remember the details but I recall it was rather hysterical.

Duh: I just read about it in the article.......it was the sideshow to the Rose-Harrelson bout.IIRC, wasn't that the one where he was chewing a hat? :eek:

Tony Cloninger
05-23-2006, 11:41 PM
The 1974 PITT-CIN brawl....with Billingham, KIson (famous for headhunting; see his fight with Mike Schmidt)

Man bites reliever ....reliever needs ****... Pirate announcer dubs Borbon "Dracula"

Fullboat
05-24-2006, 01:18 AM
How bout Bill Lee and Thurman Munson Brawl?Don't remember the year (78-79?)

Fullboat
05-24-2006, 02:20 AM

Found it

http://www.lewrockwell.com/decoster/decoster95.html

It was a brawl between Sweet Lou and Fisk with Bill Lee hurting his shoulder
the year 1976

RedsBaron
05-24-2006, 07:46 AM
No Billy Martin?

Shame

http://baseballminutia.com
Yeah, didn't Martin lay out one of his own starting pitchers in 1969, fighting Dave Boswell, who went on to win 20 games.
Martin also had a brawl with a very tall player back in the 1950s, prompting him to say he'd take a rematch if he was allowed to stand on a stool.

RedsBaron
05-24-2006, 07:49 AM
The 1974 PITT-CIN brawl....with Billingham, KIson (famous for headhunting; see his fight with Mike Schmidt)

Man bites reliever ....reliever needs ****... Pirate announcer dubs Borbon "Dracula"
I believe that Borbon later won some sort of "sportsmanship" award in 1974, prompting Pete Rose to observe that it was because Borbon had only bitten two people that year.

redsmetz
05-24-2006, 08:29 AM
Back in about 1977, my buddy and I went to Wrigley Field to see the Cubs and Dodgers play. A brawl broke out, the first I'd ever see. It struck me as fairly silly, but it was interesting nonetheless. Later that summer, the we went down to St. Louis to see the Cards and the Bums play. You guessed it! Another brawl. Those Dodgers, they were scrappy.

Heath
05-24-2006, 09:43 AM
Yeah, didn't Martin lay out one of his own starting pitchers in 1969, fighting Dave Boswell, who went on to win 20 games.

I keep forgetting about Billy Martin managing the Twins.

Honestly, everything he touched turned to gold. Too bad his temper got in the way most of the time.

RedsBaron
05-24-2006, 10:06 AM
I keep forgetting about Billy Martin managing the Twins.

Honestly, everything he touched turned to gold. Too bad his temper got in the way most of the time.
Billy Martin was probably the greatest one year manager in history. From 1969 through 1977 he quickly turned around four different teams, winning division titles with the Twins in 1969 and with the Tigers in 1972, getting the Rangers to second place in 1974, winning the AL title with the Yankees in 1976 and winning the World Series with the Yankees the following year. He never lasted very long in any managerial job, and his success tended to be fleeting, but for a quick turn-around, he was the man.
By the way, if my memory isn't failing me, I can recall that in 1967, while Martin was a Twins coach, Twins manager Cal Ermer received a death threat, with someone saying that the Twins manager would be shot at the next game. When asked how he dealt with the threat, Ermer said he went to Martin and told him: "Billy, you have always wanted an opportunity to manage. Today is your chance."

westofyou
05-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Martin also had a brawl with a very tall player back in the 1950s, prompting him to say he'd take a rematch if he was allowed to stand on a stool.
It's Gene Conley.. It's mentioned in the above link.

Honestly, everything he touched turned to gold.

Briefly yes... He destroyed many a pitchers career, in fact I'm working on something right now about it.

By the way, if my memory isn't failing me, I can recall that in 1967, Also in 1967 Billy got in trouble for punching out the Twins Traveling Secratary.

westofyou
05-24-2006, 10:38 AM
"I hit him five or six times in the stomach. Then I hit him in the head, and when he came off the wall I hit him again. He was out before he hit the ground."

Falls City Beer
05-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Also in 1967 Billy got in trouble for punching out the Twins Traveling Secratary.

I really think he was an undiagnosed personality disorder.

MrCinatit
05-24-2006, 10:40 AM

Coincidentally, this was while he was with the Reds. On May 13, 1960, Raul Sanchez hit three of four Phillies batters in one inning - the last being Phils 6'11" pitcher Gene Conley. Gene Mauch tackled Sanchez on the mound, the dugouts emptied, and Martin targeted Conley.
This wasn't the only time Martin got into a high-profile fight when he was a Red.
Later that year, he threw his bat at Cub pitcher Jim Brewer - who was much tinier at 6' 2". Martin thought Brewer was throwing at him, then punched Brewer in the eye so hard, it broke his orbital bone. The Cubs then went on to try to sue Martin for 1 million, but wound up getting 25,000.
The Reds get rid of him at the end of the year for cash to Milwaukee.
Martin had a nasty, nasty, nasty little temper on him. Anyone who has read his autobiography, Number One, knows not one of these fights was his fault :rolleyes:

westofyou
05-24-2006, 10:41 AM
Coincidentally, this was while he was with the Reds. On May 13, 1960, Raul Sanchez hit three of four Phillies batters in one inning - the last being Phils 6'11" pitcher Gene Conley. Gene Mauch tackled Sanchez on the mound, the dugouts emptied, and Martin targeted Conley.
This wasn't the only time Martin got into a high-profile fight when he was a Red.
Later that year, he threw his bat at Cub pitcher Jim Brewer - who was much tinier at 6' 2". Martin thought Brewer was throwing at him, then punched Brewer in the eye so hard, it broke his orbital bone. The Cubs then went on to try to sue Martin for 1 million, but wound up getting 25,000.
Martin had a nasty, nasty, nasty little temper on him. Anyone who has read his autobiography, Number One, knows not one of these fights was his fault :rolleyes:
I'm tellin ya the link has more. ;)

Bill DeWitts first trade.

RedsBaron
05-24-2006, 10:49 AM
Also in 1967 Billy got in trouble for punching out the Twins Traveling Secratary.
Whatta guy.
Thanks for giving me Gene Conley's name. I couldn't recall who he fought, but I had heard the story of Martin brawling with somebody a lot taller than he was.
If Martin had ever had the all out fight with Reggie Jackson in 1977 that so often seemed about to occur, who do you think would have won? Reggie had a huge size and strength advantage on Martin, but Billy was a whole lot meaner.

TeamCasey
05-24-2006, 01:13 PM
Pedro Martinez is such a punk. I hate that guy.

NJReds
05-24-2006, 01:27 PM
I seem to remember Dibble vs. the Mets. I think he tore his jersey off in a fight with someone...Strawberry or Juan Samuel.

George Brett and Greg Nettles had a pretty good brawl when the Yankees and Royals were rivals.

OldXOhio
05-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Ventura/Ryan doesn't really count as a brawl..Ryan routed him.

I remember as Ventura was charging the mound, he had a look about him that said "What the hell am I doing charging a legend like this?"

The way he "fought" Ryan pretty much reflected that as well.

KronoRed
05-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Ryan almost looked giddy ;)

Spitball
05-24-2006, 07:27 PM

Oh, I remember this one! I believe it was 1973. The rivalries were there, Yankees-Sox, and Munson-Fisk. On this night, Gene Michael tried to squeeze Munson home. I remember Munson running into Fisk and then Michael tried to interfere with Fisk by grabbing his arm. Fisk and Michael went down and Munson started throwing punches at a Fisk while he was struggling with Michael. Mickey Rivers was running around behind the crowd of players and hitting Red Sox in the back of the head then running off. Bill Lee was thrown to the ground and had his left (pitching) shoulder twisted and ground into the ground by Graig Nettles.

The comments after the game were pretty good. Someone asked Fisk if he got the scratch on his nose when Michael hit him with his purse. Bill Lee said that, while Nettles was twisting and grinding his shoulder, he was saying over and over, "I'm doing this for your own good." Lee said he never even got the chance to thank him. Of course, Lee was never the same pitcher after that.

M2
05-24-2006, 08:19 PM
I don't remember the brawl per se, but I remember Rob Dibble trying to throw a ball through Tim Teufel touched one off. Single-handedly ended the Mets' would-be dynasty.

Didn't Johnny Temple and Johnny Logan have a big dust up once upon a time?

westofyou
05-24-2006, 08:31 PM
Didn't Johnny Temple and Johnny Logan have a big dust up once upon a time?Ongoing, a couple of years they tussled. Apparently one day they looked at each other and said. That's enough.

GAC
05-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Ahhh, the Rose-Harrelson "confrontation". What was Bud thinking? Bud never had a chance.

Same with Paul Wilson-Farnsworth. Paul should have known better. :lol:

Matt700wlw
05-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Charleton had a good brawl (as a hitter) in 1990....I can't remember the details...

Spitball
05-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Charleton had a good brawl (as a hitter) in 1990....I can't remember the details...

Oh, geeze! Charleton ran through Mike Scoscia and then admited later to the press that he couldn't stand the guy.