PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Another Grande Bash / Things George Grande Says

Hap
05-23-2006, 09:36 PM
He was talking about the 24-12 game versus Colorado back in 1999 and he said that more than forty runs were scored in that series.

(BTW it was a three game series with 57 runs total)

redsfan30
05-23-2006, 11:11 PM
And.....????

jimbo
05-23-2006, 11:22 PM
I don't get it.

KronoRed
05-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Grande is not loved round here

donnelly_31
05-23-2006, 11:23 PM
neither do i

redsfan30
05-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Grande is not loved round here
And people complain about Dunn threads cluttering up the board.....

membengal
05-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Well, if the two scored 36 runs total in just one game, pretty obvious they got over 40 for the series.

I had the same weird thought when he dropped that bizarre nugget...

why is more than 40 important or noteworthy?

why would he be surprised they got there when the two teams had 36 in one game?

Then I thought, "wait! It's George Grande! Stop thinking!"

and it was all better...

TeamBoone
05-24-2006, 12:20 AM
He was talking about the 24-12 game versus Colorado back in 1999 and he said that more than forty runs were scored in that series.

Then he was correct.

And for what it's worth, he was probably citing that figure off the top of his head.

I had the same weird thought when he dropped that bizarre nugget...

why is more than 40 important or noteworthy?

He was talking about it in conjuction with the answer to the nightly trivia question. He didn't pluck it out of the air.

RedFanAlways1966
05-24-2006, 09:18 AM
There were actually 53 total runs scored in that 3-game series. Why not state there were more than 50 runs scored in that series? Sounds more impressive than 40 runs... although both comments are factual.

Game 1: REDS 7 - Rockies 2
Game 2: REDS 5 - Rockies 3
Game 3: REDS 24 - Rockies 12
TOTAL: REDS 36 - Rockies 17

boognish
05-24-2006, 09:38 AM
I was puzzled as to why he even brought up the total for the series...it is not like the scores of the other games were noteworthy in comparison or contrast to the 24-12 game.

Nit-picking here, but why didn't he say something about the graphic they showed with the Reds' lineup/hitting stats?

"Every position player had at least two hits," or "Every position player had an extra-base hit," or something. His off-the-cuff remark made him look unprepared...which is my general complaint about him. Seems like he fills any potential dead air with paraphrased quotes, stories of questionable relevance or non-factual statements. I have always wondered which factors are an indictment on GG and which are lack of communication with fact-chackers.

REDSEER
05-24-2006, 09:56 AM
Although Grande really seems like he is unprepared and horrible at times, I would rather hear him talk non stop than have silence like some other team's announcers that I have heard.

Nobody is perfect, and Grande is far from it, but he is not as bad as everyone seems to think.

smith288
05-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Grande's annoying but these whole threads based on it is also quite annoying.

billy117
05-24-2006, 10:27 AM

and now i think the hate has completely taken over all of your thoughts

KittyDuran
05-24-2006, 10:33 AM
I was puzzled as to why he even brought up the total for the series...it is not like the scores of the other games were noteworthy in comparison or contrast to the 24-12 game.

Nit-picking here, but why didn't he say something about the graphic they showed with the Reds' lineup/hitting stats?

"Every position player had at least two hits," or "Every position player had an extra-base hit," or something. His off-the-cuff remark made him look unprepared...which is my general complaint about him. Seems like he fills any potential dead air with paraphrased quotes, stories of questionable relevance or non-factual statements. I have always wondered which factors are an indictment on GG and which are lack of communication with fact-chackers.
Wasn't there a pop-up stat during the broadcast in reference to the 24-12 game? :confused:

TeamBoone
05-24-2006, 12:04 PM
There were actually 53 total runs scored in that 3-game series. Why not state there were more than 50 runs scored in that series? Sounds more impressive than 40 runs... although both comments are factual.

Game 1: REDS 7 - Rockies 2
Game 2: REDS 5 - Rockies 3
Game 3: REDS 24 - Rockies 12
TOTAL: REDS 36 - Rockies 17

I repeat: "for what it's worth, he was probably citing that figure off the top of his head."

Would you have even come close citing it off the top of your head?

Again, I repeat: "He was talking about it in conjuction with the answer to the nightly trivia question. He didn't pluck it out of the air."

RedFanAlways1966
05-24-2006, 01:56 PM
I repeat: "for what it's worth, he was probably citing that figure off the top of his head."

Would you have even come close citing it off the top of your head?

I really do not care what George says and doesn't say. I am just stating fact. George did too. They did score over 40 runs. Frankly I do not care...

TeamBoone
05-24-2006, 04:04 PM
I really do not care what George says and doesn't say. I am just stating fact. George did too. They did score over 40 runs. Frankly I do not care...

I don't really care either; I was just responding to someone who apparently did... and stated that George was correct.

Unassisted
05-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Wasn't there a pop-up stat during the broadcast in reference to the 24-12 game? :confused:There was a graphic about some series in 1911 where the Reds scored an astronomical number of runs against the Red Sox. I doubt anyone still walking on the planet remembers that series. If George mentioned the 1999 game around the same time, I would commend him for providing a reference that some people might actually remember.

RedFanAlways1966
05-24-2006, 04:15 PM
There was a graphic about some series in 1911 where the Reds scored an astronomical number of runs against the Red Sox. I doubt anyone still walking on the planet remembers that series. If George mentioned the 1999 game around the same time, I would commend him for providing a reference that some people might actually remember.

June 2 - 5, 1911 vs Boston Braves.

Game 1: REDS 5 - Braves 8
Game 2: REDS 15 - Braves 4
Game 3: REDS 26 - Braves 3
Game 4: REDS 9 - Braves 2
TOTALS: REDS 55 - Braves 17

41 runs by the REDS in games 2 & 3 together! :eek:

membengal
05-24-2006, 04:40 PM
I don't really care either; I was just responding to someone who apparently did... and stated that George was correct.

Well I should hope he was TB. My point is this, and the same thing that annoyed me when he was nattering on about it...

IF the Reds and Rockies put up 36 total runs in one game, it is pretty much a given that they totaled more than 40 runs together for the series.

Ya think so, doctor?

It was just such an odd follow-up for him. Then again, he specializes in odd follow-ups, and he and Welsh take turns boiling my blood. Last night was one of those nights Grande got on my nerves. Happens with him, of course, but I keep wishing it didn't need to be so.

registerthis
05-24-2006, 05:11 PM
You know that "Bridge to Nowhere?"

This is the thread to nowhere...

Mario-Rijo
05-24-2006, 06:33 PM
I hate to even get into this conversation as it's apparent it's a bit absurd. But I actually thought he stated that both teams combined to score over 30 runs in that series. Which made me think what a bonehead comment.

nineworldseries
06-21-2006, 09:53 PM
1. "Nubbed"

What kind of verb is this? It's stupid and he says it at least 5 times a game.

2. "The Smiling Side of the Scoreboard"

Painfully lame. Another of his favorites.

3. "Hi, Hello, and Welcome"

Self-explanatory. I'd like to say "Bye, Goodbye, and So Long" to George.

4. Calling a play a "Dandy"

Is he calling games at GABP or the Palace of the Fans?

5. "Six, Four, Yesirree Three"

My dad would even find this corny.

Any more to add?

Redhook
06-21-2006, 10:08 PM
"That ball is hit deep to right, and caught (by the 2nd baseman 10 feet outside of the infield)"

He has no-depth perception whatsoever.

ochre
06-21-2006, 10:09 PM
You mean like the 'looper' that Kearns missed out by the wall?

redhawkfish
06-21-2006, 10:10 PM
When he talks about a player he always says, "You know his story."

No, I don't, George!:(

flynn78
06-21-2006, 10:14 PM
I hate it when he says that a flyball was "corked" to the outfield. I also have a problem with the depth perception issue.

Heath
06-21-2006, 10:20 PM
here, lets close this thread pretty quickly.

George is a very good HOF master of ceremonies. He can keep that job. I'd even let him go back to SportsCenter.

But his time is over here in Cincinnati. Take the crafty one with him.

BigJohn
06-21-2006, 10:56 PM
right there! Nubbed down to third, bases loaded!

Redhook
06-21-2006, 11:14 PM
The only reason this wasn't annoying is because the Reds won...."6-4-Yesssserreeee-3!" It just didn't sound right. At all.

nineworldseries
06-21-2006, 11:17 PM
Yes! that is the one I meant of course :)

edabbs44
06-21-2006, 11:21 PM
"Hi, I'm George Grande."

BlfdVaFan
06-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Well, St. Louis does it like this.

LawFive
06-21-2006, 11:23 PM
"Hi, I'm George Grande."

:laugh:

:beerme:

mole44
06-21-2006, 11:26 PM
I don't like when George talks....period.

Jr's Boy
06-21-2006, 11:30 PM
Too bad I dont hear him here.Or is that better?:dunno:

Buckeye33
06-21-2006, 11:38 PM
"It'll stay in the park" - He says this no matter where the ball is hit in the OF.

"He didn't advance the runner to 3rd" - He says this even if there was 1 out and the batter just made the 2nd out.

"It's gonnaaa beeeeee...GONE!" Just flat stupid.

Newman4
06-21-2006, 11:43 PM
"manos de oro"......well, I kinda like that one. :D

flynn78
06-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Too bad I dont hear him here.Or is that better?:dunno:

Be appreciative that you do not have to. It is painful. Not as bad as the bullpen, but it makes for a shaky viewing experience. If the radio was not so far ahead I would listen to Marty and Steve as I watch.

Heath
06-21-2006, 11:53 PM
"Hi, I'm George Grande."

No, it's "Hi, Hello, welcome to the ballpark, George Grande with the Crafty Lefthander, Chris Welsh."

2001MUgrad
06-21-2006, 11:58 PM
"Albert"

"Jim Edmonds"

"The Best Sports Show Period" I get it, you don't wanna cuss, thats fine. Let Chris or someone else do the promo then.

redsin2006
06-22-2006, 12:22 AM
One thing that annoys me is when George tells me "it's a walk" as if ball four wasn't enough of an indication. Another thing George does that annoys me is when he makes the statement "well he does his job by moving the man to third" and in the process it's the 2nd out.

George is a likeable guy, but Welch has substance to offer that I wish George would simply shut up and let Chris talk. It's obvious George is watching the monitor and not the ball field. If the camera pans to a coach or player's face, regardless of what George is rambling on about, he will say something about the person on the screen.

George bores me and as a fan, at times I'd like to gag him.

pedro
06-22-2006, 12:27 AM
overshift.

It's shift. what the hell is and overshift?

although I did notice the Mets announcers said it too.

drive me nuts for some reason.

redsin2006
06-22-2006, 12:37 AM
overshift?
I think that's what came standard on the '72 dodge roadrunner...
woops, I'm thinking of hurstshift.

who knows. When Jose Valentin blasted the 3run homer, I think George was going on about what a great guy Jose was and asking the viewers did they happen to catch the pregame interview with Javier and Jose? talk about timing.

If it weren't for the 5 second delay between FOX and WLW, I'd sacrifice Chris for Marty in a heartbeat.

WVRedsFan
06-22-2006, 01:20 AM
overshift?
I think that's what came standard on the '72 dodge roadrunner...

It was a Plymouth. Extinct, you know. Just like George should be...

Gainesville Red
06-22-2006, 01:27 AM
Yeah, he's kind of cheezy, but most of his little catch phrases don't bother me that much.

The only thing that gets on my nerves is when I go in the kitchen or bathroom or something for a second, and can still hear the TV, and I hear, "Dunn w/ a shot!" and he's screaming like it's in the damn river. I run back to the TV to see the left fielder reel it in with ease 20-feet in front of the warning track.

I know it's a complaint that's been done to death, but c'mon George, you've had plenty of practice after all these years, you should have a better idea of what a bomb looks like. Stop getting my hopes up.

EKURed
06-22-2006, 01:37 AM
Sir Albert

jhiller21
06-22-2006, 01:42 AM
"Freel will scamper home"

"Hit pretty good! GOING BACK, he's LOOKING UP, it's gonna BEEEE caught at the wall!" (the ball is caught on the edge of the warning track)

"Claussen's recent bugaboo has been his control, Chris" (bugaboo? are you kidding?)

(An arrow-straight fastball reads 92 mph on the radar) "Breaking ball in there for a strike"

EKURed
06-22-2006, 01:51 AM
One of the ones this year that killed me was when Granderson (sp?) "blooped" that game tying home run with 2 outs in the 9th in Detroit. That was a back breaker.

Grande always sounds too happy and interested in the other team. My opinion is he is paid by the Reds and I don't want to hear a story about every player on the other team....but, let's face it, it's the worst when the Reds play the Cardinals ("Red Birds")

When the Reds are losing or slumping, it's really tough. But, I don't care, i will deal with him because he won't be a reason for me to miss a game...

TOBTTReds
06-22-2006, 02:13 AM
Grande always sounds too happy and interested in the other team. My opinion is he is paid by the Reds and I don't want to hear a story about every player on the other team....but, let's face it, it's the worst when the Reds play the Cardinals ("Red Birds")

I really hate how he is more excited for another teams HR than ours.

His obsession for players over 30.

"He gives you professional at-bats"

Depth perception.

"You know his story" --- which I haven't heard him say a whole lot lately!!

I love these threads, never close them bc they are so entertaining and it is theraputic.

billy117
06-22-2006, 02:14 AM
"Runner not going." Especially something like "Dunn not going." or "Hatteburg not going." How about you let me know when they are stealing and I'll be just fine assuming they're not when you don't say anything.

redsin2006
06-22-2006, 03:00 AM
I think it's safe to say someone like Harry Caray or Skip or even our own Mr Hoard (sp) would be a big improvement. To me it's a bit insulting when George tells us the obvious. You go to TBS and listen to Caray Jr and he doesn't tell you "that's Joe Torre standing in the dugout" etc, etc, but George does. He thinks his job is to inform the idiot viewers (maybe women; who knows what FOX specifies) that he has to inform us like we're listening to the game, and not watching.

It's the time delay between FOX and the WLW radio broadcast that is the crux of the problem.

MaineRed
06-22-2006, 07:34 AM
Things George Grande Says That Annoy You

EVERYTHING!

cumberlandreds
06-22-2006, 07:48 AM
After having to listen to the Mets announcers the last three days I have no complaints at all about Grande and Welsh. I would rather listen to Grande and his book of cliches than those morons on SNY.

macro
06-22-2006, 08:45 AM
If we're going to revisit the topic of Grande Grande (http://www.redszone.com/forums/search.php?searchid=120333), then let's do it as part of the last thread on this topic. Merged...

zombie-a-go-go
06-22-2006, 09:37 AM
He thinks his job is to inform the idiot viewers (maybe women; who knows what FOX specifies)

Some of the most intelligent baseball fans I know are women, for the record.

As for George - it's all been said before.

westofyou
06-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Some of the most intelligent baseball fans I know are women, for the record.

And some of the least intelligent ones are men from what I can gather.

RANDY IN INDY
06-22-2006, 11:51 AM
I think there is a fair amount on both sides.