-9 in Claussen's starts

pedro
05-24-2006, 12:14 AM
Meaningless fun with numbers:

The Reds have a run differential of

+24 in Arroyo's starts
+11 in Harang's starts
-9 in Claussen's starts

that woudl be even funnerer if you told us how many runs score/ allowed per pitcher.

BCubb2003
05-24-2006, 12:25 AM
that woudl be even funnerer if you told us how many runs score/ allowed per pitcher.

That's why it's meaningless. My point, if I had one, would be only that run differential is not so monolithic as to think that the Reds have a run differential of x when only some of those Reds have such a differential. I think.

KronoRed
05-24-2006, 12:39 AM
Obviously Claussen doesn't pitch the right way ;)

oneupper
05-24-2006, 09:36 AM
Not necessarily so meaningless. While most here on the board (I'll include myself) shun the W-L stat, it is not totally useless (let me explain, please).

Studies show the importance of the Ball/Strike count for hitters and pitchers alike. Hence the ump's strike zone has a bearing on the game (usually for BOTH pitchers). A lenient ump can make Dave Williams look like Walter Johnson.

General game conditions (weather, balpark) vary from game to game but are much the same for both pitchers. Plus...pitchers will go into "soft defense" mode when given a big lead, eroding their peripherals.

This kind of stat (run diff) and W/L can give us "some" info on how the pitcher competed given the matchup, the conditions he was given and his position in the rotation (compare #3s to #3s, for example...since they commonly face each other..especially early).

So, no...you don't use this kind of thing to sign Jimmy Haynes to a LT contract, but for example, in last year's Cy Young voting, I considered it totally valid to use W/L to give Carpenter the award considering such things such as the fact he Won both his matchups with Clemens.

May the bashing begin.