PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Joe Girardi's actions toward Scott Olsen in the dugout tonight?

cincinnati chili
05-24-2006, 02:48 AM
Anybody see that?

Your thoughts?

Old School psychology or just showing his guy up?

note to mod's - I mistitled this thread... it happened in the DUGOUT - not the pen

Patrick Bateman
05-24-2006, 02:57 AM
What happened?

CTA513
05-24-2006, 03:59 AM
I didnt see what happened, but heres a clipping from the Marlins website:

Left-hander Scott Olsen, sporting a shiner from a recent tussle with fellow pitcher Randy Messenger, was spared the loss. He went five innings, allowing six hits, a walk and four runs.

Girardi grew irate with him when he came to the dugout at the end of the third inning. He had given up two two-out runs in the second inning after appearing as if he might get out of a jam, and then was victimized by a Michael Barrett home run.

"What he said is between us," Olsen said. "But it's safe to say it was a little bit about focus."

Girardi said Olsen was a pitch or two from keeping the Cubs from scoring in that inning.

"But overall, he stayed away from a big inning and kept us in the game," the manager said.

Olsen said he was "three pitches" from pitching the type of game that would have been successful.

lol, did he get in a fight with another pitcher on his team sometime this week?

Caseyfan21
05-24-2006, 08:23 AM
Girardi was on Baseball Tonight and they asked him about it. He said he pulled him aside because he felt he wasn't focused on the mound and that he was too good of a pitcher to lose focus and do poorly. I guess the pitcher got mad because he was only given 7 warm up pitches instead of the normal 8 and he let it affect his performance that inning. Girardi said with some players you just have to be a little physical like that to grab their attention.

I think that Girardi was just helping the kid. He seems old school and I have no doubt that back a few decades ago something like this would have been common place.

cincinnati chili
05-24-2006, 10:40 AM
What happened?

Girardi grabbed him by the collar at one end of the dugout, in full view of the cameras, and pulled him the entire length of the dugout into the tunnel (still in view of the cameras) where he chewed him out.

Joseph
05-24-2006, 10:48 AM
It was a thing of beauty IMO. Girardi is going all in [to steal a poker term] and is either going to build a great team in Florida, or flame out quickly. He's not riding the fence.

oneupper
05-24-2006, 10:49 AM
Girardi grabbed him by the collar at one end of the dugout, in full view of the cameras, and pulled him the entire length of the dugout into the tunnel (still in view of the cameras) where he chewed him out.

Sheesh...Girardi has got to get a grip! No one expects him to bring home a pennant.

Falls City Beer
05-24-2006, 10:51 AM
I don't have a problem with stuff like what Girardi did. Though I have a real problem with calling it "old school." Bobby Cox does stuff like that all the time, without the physical, scruff of the neck stuff. But he gets in young pitchers' faces all the time. Mean and nasty, the whole bit.

westofyou
05-24-2006, 10:53 AM
He shouldn't touch him.

Period.

BTW Mr Tuber did the same thing to me at Vaughn Elementary back in 6th grade, I do not relish the memory.

Unassisted
05-24-2006, 11:01 AM
I caught the last half-inning of that game last night, without knowing this had happened. I thought the Marlins were overly enthusiastic about the win, even though it was a come-from-behind thing. Makes me wonder if Girardi has them wound up too tight.

Roy Tucker
05-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Nothing wrong with a little fire and refuse-to-lose kind of attitude IMHO. Just look at the job Leyland is doing with Detroit.

But Girardi probably ought to keep it just verbal. Physical stuff can get out of hand quickly.

Johnny Footstool
05-24-2006, 11:13 AM
If Olsen already got into a fight with another pitcher this season, it sounds like he has bigger problems than focusing while he's pitching.

realreds1
05-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Side track: which pitcher did Frank Robinson grab and scold many years ago -- COMING OFF THE MOUND in front of a stadium full of people? Or maybe a stadium half-full of people?

RedsManRick
05-24-2006, 12:05 PM
I don't know if manhandling him is appropriate, but sending the message to your team that losing is not acceptable and that they need to maintain focus is a good thing. The Marlins aren't going to get any better by slacking off, accepting losses, and doing less than their best. You have to develop the habits that lead to winning before you're able to do so

remdog
05-24-2006, 12:09 PM
"Olsen said he was "three pitches" from pitching the type of game that would have been successful."

A fastball, curve and slider, perhaps? :evil:

Rem

Tony Cloninger
05-24-2006, 12:36 PM
It was with the Giants when Frank did it....right?

I know it was not Jim Barr...... or Mike Kukrow..... i cannot remember.

I think it was at Shea.

TeamBoone
05-24-2006, 12:44 PM
He should have called him into the tunnel for the conversation; he didn't need to drag him there in front of television cameras, especially.

Just think if this happened in other arenas... would you like your boss physically hauling you into his office to get chewed out or would you prefer he asked you to step into his office?

RedsManRick
05-24-2006, 01:18 PM
He should have called him into the tunnel for the conversation; he didn't need to drag him there in front of television cameras, especially.

Just think if this happened in other arenas... would you like your boss physically hauling you into his office to get chewed out or would you prefer he asked you to step into his office?

I don't wear spikes, stretchy pants, a jersey, and a hat in my office. Not saying it's right, but the environments are slightly different.

savafan
05-24-2006, 01:32 PM

I've had both occur, and I'm okay with either...in the right situation. In the one case, I was pretty good friends with the boss outside of work, and production was slacking all around. I had told her early on that if there ever came a time when she needed to make a public example of someone she could feel free to use me. I was surprised when she actually did, but it did show everyone else that mediocrity was not acceptable, no matter who they were, and it helped to motivate everyone else to step it up a bit.

LincolnparkRed
05-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Also remember that Olsen was going to be shipped to Tampa I believe at the end of spring training but the Marlins wanted too much back. So maybe they know that they have a bit of a head case and Girardi needed to scare the focus back into him.

realreds1
05-24-2006, 05:03 PM
It was with the Giants when Frank did it....right?

I know it was not Jim Barr...... or Mike Kukrow..... i cannot remember.

I think it was at Shea.

Yes, I believe he was managing the Giants. It was a road game, I think. I just can't remember anything else. :(

pedro
05-24-2006, 05:23 PM
I don't think the physical contact is a good idea.

VR
05-24-2006, 07:37 PM
He shouldn't touch him.

Period.

BTW Mr Tuber did the same thing to me at Vaughn Elementary back in 6th grade, I do not relish the memory.

Were you more focused when you came out to pitch the next inning though?

westofyou
05-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Were you more focused when you came out to pitch the next inning though?
No... I was scared of the angry little troll of a man.

KronoRed
05-24-2006, 07:42 PM
I think he's a catcher who just hates pitchers

;)

M2
05-24-2006, 08:06 PM
I believe in the value of corporal punishment when it comes to professional baseball. I'd make Kenny Monday my manager ... or maybe Chuck Liddell.

Rojo
05-24-2006, 10:26 PM
You don't get physical with players if you want to manage well into your middle-age. Seriously, if you get physical with a player you better be prepared to win a fight, because if you don't, you're respect is gone.

Unassisted
05-24-2006, 11:31 PM
This thought crossed my mind tonight. Anyone else think it's a wonder MLB doesn't have a discipline precedent for a manager like Girardi who gets into a physical scuffle with his own player in plain view of the cameras? I can easily picture the NBA or NFL fining/suspending a coach for doing that.

cincinnati chili
05-25-2006, 12:17 AM
This thought crossed my mind tonight. Anyone else think it's a wonder MLB doesn't have a discipline precedent for a manager like Girardi who gets into a physical scuffle with his own player in plain view of the cameras? I can easily picture the NBA or NFL fining/suspending a coach for doing that.

My take on the incident was that it was highly unprofessional in the modern game, but I don't really consider it a "scuffle." If he had actually started a fight with his player that would be different.

The range of opinions here pretty much convinces me that this is acceptable behavior in sports, depending on the organization. The Marlins front office might actually praise him for it.

I don't like it.

I realize that sports isn't like every other business. But what Girardi did, in any other business is criminal behavior. And no, I'm not exaggerating.

UKFlounder
05-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Grabbing a player is definitely questionable behavior, but I'm not sure Girardi should try to change his behavior just because it happens to be a televised game. If that's his natural reaction, he should not try to pretend to be some calm, mild-mannered type just to project that on TV.

Granted, he needs to be smart enough to realize he's in a very public situation and that almost anything he does may attract attention, but if he starts treating his players differently just because a TV camera is around, he has no chance of being successful as he'll just be a phony.

He is a 1st year manager, so perhaps this is just a very public "learning opportunity" he went through in terms of dealing with players.

Cedric
05-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Human beings punch each other and fight over the dumbest things in this game and people are supposed to worry about this?

cincinnati chili
05-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Pro athletes consent to a certain amount of "touching." Certainly, on the field in a game situtation. Maybe they "consent" to being grabbed by the collar and dragged through the dugout on a televised baseball game that gets international attention.

Maybe.

Maybe Girardi thinks this will fire the guy up. But I'm skeptical. I think Girardi probably let his emotions get the best of him, and humiliated his guy in the process. You could argue that if Olsen's tough enough to pitch in the majors, he's tough enough to handle this. But if I were a GM, I wouldn't like it. He's a very promising player at a fragile time, pitching well below his ability. So Girardi better know exactly what he's doing, or he's blowing a good thing.

Chip R
05-25-2006, 02:37 PM
It probably wasn't the right thing to do to grab Olson but sometimes players need to have the fear of God put into them. There are different ways to do this besides grabbing a guy. I seem to recall a few starts ago Narron mentioned to the papers that he was none too happy with Claussen's latest start. Next time out, Claussen pitched that gem against the Phils. Now I don't know if that was a result of Claussen being angry but perhaps getting on a guy like Claussen might help his performance out there. If he is in trouble in the 1st inning like last night, perhaps Narron gets someone up in the bullpen just to give him the illusion he may be taken out if he doesn't get his head in the game.