PDA

View Full Version : Jeb Bush for NFL Commish?

dabvu2498
05-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Jeb Bush is approached about running NFL

Florida Gov. Jeb Bush said he was privately approached about his interest in becoming the NFL's next commissioner.

Bush said Tuesday the issue was discussed at a recent meeting with Patrick Rooney Sr., according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Rooney's brother is Dan Rooney, owner of Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers and co-chair of the search committee looking to replace the retiring Paul Tagliabue.

"I met with Mr. Rooney and I said, `I'm doing my job until I'm finished and then I'm going to consider other things,'" Bush told the newspaper.

Bush has said he will not run for president in 2008. His final term as governor ends in January, although he doesn't believe NFL officials will hold the position open until then.

Tagliabue, who has been commissioner since 1989, announced in March his decision to retire. Although he originally set a July 31 deadline to be out of the job, he has indicated his willingness to stay on longer.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060524/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_jeb_bush_nfl_commissioner

redsfan30
05-24-2006, 10:27 AM
At risk of hearing from the mods, I'd suggest changing your title.

dabvu2498
05-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Yeah... good call... but I can't figure out how to perform that.

redsfan30
05-24-2006, 10:47 AM
Hit edit, then I believe you have to do advanced edit to change the title.

pedro
05-24-2006, 11:23 AM
you'd think there'd be someone who'd be more qualified (with some sort of background in football)

RedsBaron
05-24-2006, 12:17 PM
I'd rather see Reggie Bush named as commissioner. Then he could allow himself to wear number 5 in the NFL.

KronoRed
05-24-2006, 03:36 PM
If the NFL wants to run itself into the ground..go for it.

Unassisted
05-24-2006, 04:17 PM
I'd think being the Governor of any state would be good training for commissioner of any sport. Think about the parallels:

- Governors are always looking for ways to bring in money for their states from taxes and fees, etc. Commissioners are always searching for new revenue sources for their sports from merchandising, media rights and ticket sales, etc.

- Governors shmooze corporate titans to get them to locate/expand their businesses in the state. Commissioners shmooze corporate titans to get them to locate/expand sponsorships in the sport.

- Governors have to manage relationships with fractious legislators and keep tabs on the appointed staff in the executive branch. Commissioners have to manage relationships with fractious owners and keep tabs on the staff in the league office.

- Governors know the importance of maintaining their own image in the media of their states and have staffs to do so. Commissioners know the importance of maintaining their sport's presence on and image in the media.

- Both Governors and Commissioners recognize the value of changing laws to meet the interests of their employer. An ex-Governor would brings to the Commissioner job direct experience with getting laws changed.

There are undoubtedly others, but those came to mind.