PDA

View Full Version : Surprise stat of the year

UPRedsFan
05-24-2006, 11:03 AM
We're almost a 1/3 of the way through the season and the Reds have a staff ERA lower than Chicago, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee and Houston! Maybe the additional bullpen arm we were looking for has been found in Chris Hammond's revival. Maybe the extra starter we needed has finally arrived in the form of a Lizard. Obviously to everyone now the closer we were looking for in January was here all along. If he keeps this up, Garner will put him on the all-star team.

Not saying we don't need a second lights out bullpen arm or another #2 or 3 quality starter to chase down the Cardinals. But this pitching staff just might keep them in the hunt all year for the wild card. This time last year we were begging for a team ERA in the 4's. They've gotten there sooner than expected and they're outpitching 4 teams everyone thought was better.

flyer85
05-24-2006, 11:07 AM
another interesting stat. The top 3 teams in OBP are the top 3 in runs scored

LA - .359 250
Cin - .352 247
Arz - .351 240

oneupper
05-24-2006, 11:09 AM

LA - .359 250
Cin - .352 247
Arz - .351 240

Interesting yes. Surprising, no. Someone show it to Narron, please.

flyer85
05-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Interesting yes. Surprising, no.depends on who you are :D

RedsManRick
05-24-2006, 11:23 AM
My mantra all offseason was all we needed to be competetive from a pitching standpoint was to not suck at historical levels. Merely bad pitching keeps us in the wildcard race, league average pitching puts us in the division race. It's really that simple

TOBTTReds
05-24-2006, 01:44 PM
Interesting yes. Surprising, no. Someone show it to Narron, please.

I think he knows...that is why Hatteberg is always in the lineup vs. RH. I think a lot of us were very wrong about the Hatteberg pickup. He is no slugger, but he is getting on base at a very high rate.

vaticanplum
05-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Scott Hatteberg is very much my favorite Red at the moment. If I had a fantasy team I would draft him eight times. This is one of many reasons why I don't have a fantasy team.

flyer85
05-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Scott Hatteberg is very much my favorite Red at the moment. Is there a reason for this?

CTA513
05-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Reds also are 11th in ERA out of all 30 teams.
The Reds pitchers are also tied for 3rd for least amount of walks given up and are 8th for striking out the most batters.... which helps when you are tied for 2nd in most hits given up.

TeamBoone
05-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Scott Hatteberg is very much my favorite Red at the moment. If I had a fantasy team I would draft him eight times. This is one of many reasons why I don't have a fantasy team.

You really wouldn't want to do that VP, even if you could, because he doesn't play enough.

But I hear what you're saying!

vaticanplum
05-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Is there a reason for this?

Uh, not really a baseball one (see above re: my tendencies to be swayed by poor things as a theoretical baseball manager). He has an attitude toward hitting that I think is beneficial for the young players on the team. He has a good attitude in general, he does the little things. All the things that I bash my head in when other people say them but seem to make sense when I want to use them for my own arguments.

And I like the way he grins like the world is ok when another Red hits a home run.

NJReds
05-24-2006, 03:23 PM

LA - .359 250
Cin - .352 247
Arz - .351 240

I guess sometimes "soft walks" do pay off. :p:

vaticanplum
05-24-2006, 03:24 PM
You really wouldn't want to do that VP, even if you could, because he doesn't play enough.

But I hear what you're saying!

Oh, those silly fantasy rules...:p:

Heath
05-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Uh, not really a baseball one (see above re: my tendencies to be swayed by poor things as a theoretical baseball manager). He has an attitude toward hitting that I think is beneficial for the young players on the team. He has a good attitude in general, he does the little things. All the things that I bash my head in when other people say them but seem to make sense when I want to use them for my own arguments.

And I like the way he grins like the world is ok when another Red hits a home run.

She also enjoys his home run against the Cubbies, his pearly white teeth, and the way the sunlight plays upon his hair.

Whoops, VP, sorry to leave the secret out......

vaticanplum
05-24-2006, 03:32 PM
She also enjoys his home run against the Cubbies, his pearly white teeth, and the way the sunlight plays upon his hair.

Actually, that is scarily true. I sent this picture to all of my friends with the title "Sunshine Boys" after the Griffey Is Back! game (I'm obsessed with this picture, I've posted it about six times I think. It is pure joy.)

TeamBoone
05-24-2006, 03:43 PM
You're so cute!

CaiGuy
05-24-2006, 04:45 PM
Actually, that is scarily true. I sent this picture to all of my friends with the title "Sunshine Boys" after the Griffey Is Back! game (I'm obsessed with this picture, I've posted it about six times I think. It is pure joy.)
I saw that scene in person. It was awsome to see everyone fired up.

Reds1
05-24-2006, 05:10 PM
I'm not as surprised in a limited role Hateberg is doing well. I'm more surprised that Aurilia is playing 1b and doing pretty well and his bat is consisitantly pretty strong.

I agree we could use another starter, but more importantly another pen guy. I think we have our closer. The thing that excites me is our defense has stunk and can improve. We are doing this well with shaky defense. We'll see, but when we pick it we seem to win.