PDA

View Full Version : Great bass lines

Falls City Beer
05-24-2006, 01:07 PM
It just occurred to me as I was driving in to work today that the bass line to "Sympathy for the Devil" is, while not terribly complicated, one of the greatest bass lines; that song would really be totally pointless without it. Simple, insinuating, sensual, sloppy--amazing.

Another simple but ingenious bass line: "Once in a Lifetime" Talking Heads

What are some others? (And please, no bass solos--maybe in another thread)

pedro
05-24-2006, 01:11 PM
The Punk And The Godfather -The Who

Johnny Footstool
05-24-2006, 01:19 PM
A lot of cool bass lines get sampled and used elsewhere, sometimes without proper credit.

"Under Pressure" by Queen - wasn't this used in some sort of "rap" song back in 1990? I used to know, but I killed that part of my brain with an ice pick. Hmmmm...ice? Flavored ice? VANILLA ICE! Crap, I remembered. Where's that ice pick.

"Peace Sells" by Megadeth - used as the lead-in for MTV news for a number of years.

"Super Bon Bon" by Soul Coughing - my all-time favorite bass line. You might have heard this in a Heinekin commercial.

"Humpty Dance" by Digital Underground. Shockingly, a hip-hop song with an ORIGINAL bass line. Classic.

vaticanplum
05-24-2006, 01:22 PM
The end of 19th Nervous Breakdown!

I'll have more later.

edit: that is more of a solo than a bassline, though.

Actually, Bill Wyman was pretty cool. The bassline in Under My Thumb is pretty rad too.

Falls City Beer
05-24-2006, 01:24 PM
"Peace Sells" by Megadeth - used as the lead-in for MTV news for a number of years.

Saw them on this tour in my last year as an undergrad. The left side of the mechanical "Eddie" came loose from its moorings above the stage and nearly struck the drummer. But they performed a note-perfect "Peace Sells" anyway. Because they're Megadeth.

westofyou
05-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Up on the beach

Mountain Song

Rubberband Man - Spinners

Anything from Hejira

westofyou
05-24-2006, 01:26 PM
You and Me - Archers of Loaf.

registerthis
05-24-2006, 01:26 PM
"My City Was Gone" by the Pretenders. That's the one that really stands out to me.

registerthis
05-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Saw them on this tour in my last year as an undergrad. The left side of the mechanical "Eddie" came loose from its moorings above the stage and nearly struck the drummer. But they performed a note-perfect "Peace Sells" anyway. Because they're Megadeth.

I think the last time I heard/saw anything from Megadeth it was the video for "Go To Hell" from the "Bill and Ted Go To Hell" soundtrack.

deltachi8
05-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Of course anything by Grand Funk Railroad and the bong-rattling bass of Mel Shacher.

pedro
05-24-2006, 01:46 PM
While we're talking Stones I'll say "Miss You".

westofyou
05-24-2006, 01:49 PM
While we're talking Stones I'll say "Miss You".
Prodigal Son

minus5
05-24-2006, 01:55 PM
Rain by The Beatles

The Real Me by The Who

Ramble On by Led Zepplin

Good Times by Chic

You Can Call Me Al by Paul Simon

pedro
05-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Ceremony - New Order

Roy Tucker
05-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Whipping Post - Allman Bros.

RFS62
05-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Heart of the Sunrise - Yes

registerthis
05-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Ceremony - New Order

Hooky!!!

Niiiice.

westofyou
05-24-2006, 02:11 PM
La Grange - ZZ Top

Roy Tucker
05-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Another One Bites the Dust - Queen

Roy Tucker
05-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Of course anything by Grand Funk Railroad and the bong-rattling bass of Mel Shacher.
My little brother blew out my bass speakers when I wasn't home playing the GFR version of Gimme Shelter.

minus5
05-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Jerry Was A Race Car Driver - Primus

In The Meantime - Spacehog

Magnificent Seven by The Clash

Pump It Up Elvis Costello

westofyou
05-24-2006, 02:27 PM
Anything by Watt

registerthis
05-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Probably not known by too many people here, but I would throw "Split Into Fractions" by Curve in there.

Dean Garcia's bass, particularly in the live version, is just driving. Not overly complex, but man does it carry the song.

dsmith421
05-24-2006, 03:00 PM
The Smiths - This Charming Man

Roy Tucker
05-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Money - Pink Floyd

Johnny Footstool
05-24-2006, 03:26 PM
For the Love of Money - the O'Jays

Up the Beach
Mountain Song

Good stuff from Eric Avery. It's a shame he quit.

westofyou
05-24-2006, 03:34 PM
For the Love of Money - the O'Jays

Good stuff from Eric Avery. It's a shame he quit.

That whole Ojays album rules (Ship Ahoy)

Good Avery solo stuff - Deconstruction and Polar Bear.

Roy Tucker
05-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Thank You Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin - Larry Graham (Sly & Family Stone, I had to look up the spelling for this)

Badge - Jack Bruce (Cream)

Guns Of Brixton - The Clash

minus5
05-24-2006, 03:40 PM
I almost put Guns of Brixton instead of The Magnificent Seven by the Clash...both great lines.

Blimpie
05-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Rain by The Beatles

The Real Me by The Who

Ramble On by Led Zepplin

Good Times by Chic

You Can Call Me Al by Paul Simon:thumbup: You beat me to it....

Blimpie
05-24-2006, 03:46 PM
The Punk And The Godfather -The WhoHell, can I just go ahead and nominate the entire Quadrophenia album?

westofyou
05-24-2006, 03:50 PM
Hell, can I just go ahead and nominate the entire Quadrophenia album?
That has been in my top 5 for 32 years now...

vaticanplum
05-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Radiohead has some great basslines. The National Anthem, parts of Paranoid Android, Exit Music, Meeting in the Aisle, Anyone Can Play Guitar (ironically enough). Colin Greenwood is a very underrated bassist.

Girls & Boys by Blur
Ramble On by Led Zeppelin
a lot of stuff by the Rogers Sisters -- Ballerina, Zero Point come to mind

My favorite bassist ever is probably Paul Simonon and London Calling has some great basslines, even though technically he wasn't that proficient

jmcclain19
05-24-2006, 03:56 PM
I really can't stand him or his music but I love Kanye West's Golddigger's bass line.

The Beatles - Come Together is my favorite of all time to play

Primus - Jerry was a Racecar Driver

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Give it Away

Alice in Chains - Would

And John Cougar Mellencamp - "Wild Nights"

Rojo
05-24-2006, 03:57 PM
"White Lines" by GrandMaster Flash and the Furious Five.

registerthis
05-24-2006, 04:03 PM
Radiohead has some great basslines. The National Anthem, parts of Paranoid Android, Exit Music, Meeting in the Aisle, Anyone Can Play Guitar (ironically enough). Colin Greenwood is a very underrated bassist.

Indeed, I was going to list Paranoid Android.

pedro
05-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Hell, can I just go ahead and nominate the entire Quadrophenia album?

I won't argue.

deltachi8
05-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Could't Stand the Weather - SRV

pedro
05-24-2006, 04:27 PM
Walk on the Wild Side - Lou Reed

Johnny Footstool
05-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Higher Ground by Stevie Wonder (and the cover by RHCP)

RedFanAlways1966
05-24-2006, 04:45 PM

Eddie would be the mascot for Iron Maiden! Megadeth's mascot is Vic Rattlehead.

How about the Red Hot Chili Pepper's version of "Higher Ground"... Flea's starting bass line and bass part throughout is great work.

The band Tool has some great bass lines in a few of their songs too.

Metallica's Cliff Burton.... start of "For Whom The Bell Tolls". "(Anesthesia) - Pulling Teeth", the 1st instrumental ever done by Metallica and pretty much all bass.... and amazing playing by the late Cliff Burton.

minus5
05-24-2006, 04:50 PM
The band Tool has some great bass lines in a few of their songs too.

Schism comes to mind :thumbup:

Ravenlord
05-24-2006, 04:54 PM
"Come Together"-The Beatles

"The Bear Song"-Green Jelly

"End of the Rainbow"-HammerFall

"Rebel Yell"-Billy Idol

"Let the Hammer Fall"-HammerFall

any Joey DeMaio (ManOwaR) bass solo

"Symphany of Destruction"-Megadeth

"Peace Sells"-Megadeth

"I Walk the Line"-Johnny Cash

"Legions"-Savatage

"Tear You Apart"-She Wants Revenge

anything by Cake

"Night Train"-Guns N Roses

"Wild Side"-Motley Crue

"Revolution be Thy Name"-Pantera

"Billion Dollar Babies"-Alice Cooper

"Killer"-Alice Cooper

"Dead Babies"-Alice Cooper

basically every Alice Cooper band song before Da Da

"Black Number One"-Type O Negative

"Dynamo Hum"-Frank Zappa

"Satanic Manafeisto"-Dimmu Borgir (i think i like this one simply because Saemon can actually sing operatic vocals while playing an ungodly complicated bass line)

"Sound of Silence"-Simon and Garfunkel

"Got the Time"-Antrhax

"Caught in a Mosh"-Anthrax

"Ode to Billy"-Anthrax

"Startin' Up A Posse"-Anthrax

"Refuse to be Denied"-Anthrax

"Swords in the Wind"-ManOwaR

"Snap Your Fingers Snap Your Neck"-Prong

"All For Love"-Byran Adams, Rod Stewart, and a guy with a bland voice

"Hillbilly Highway"-Steve Earle

"Send Me An Angel"-Zeromancer

"Sober"-Tool

"Schism"-Tool

basically anything done by Cliff Burton (Metallica), David Ellefson (Megadeth), Steve Harris (Iron Maiden), Magnus Rosen (HammerFall).

05-24-2006, 05:17 PM
Boris the Spider- The Who

Rat Tomango- Zappa (or is it a solo, it does have percussion in it, but nothing else.)

Joseph
05-24-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm a bassist, so I feel over qualified to answer, so I'll just toss out some 'newer' things for the kids.

The Minute of Decay - Marilyn Manson
Longview - Green Day
Wild Night - John Mellencamp
Cannonball - The Breeders

And something older again
I Put a Spell on You - Pick an artist
Higher Ground - Stevie Wonder

pedro
05-24-2006, 05:30 PM
personally I prefer Van Morrisson's version of Wild Night.

Joseph
05-24-2006, 05:32 PM
Sorry, missed the second page of this when Tool and 'tallica and such started being dropped in. Those certainly skew younger. Great list Ravenlord.

Falls City Beer
05-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Eddie would be the mascot for Iron Maiden! Megadeth's mascot is Vic Rattlehead. .

You're absolutely right. Eddie was the half-decomposed animated corpse and Vic was all skeleton, natch?

reds1869
05-24-2006, 06:16 PM
Seven Nation Army--The White Stripes

A very simple bass line, but one that gets stuck in your head and drives the song forward.

vaticanplum
05-24-2006, 06:30 PM
Seven Nation Army--The White Stripes

A very simple bass line, but one that gets stuck in your head and drives the song forward.

That's not a bass, that's a distorted guitar!

I hate the White Stripes, but I must admit that Jack White is talented with his pedals, if you know what I mean and I think you do.

GAC
05-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Whipping Post - Allman Bros.

Just bought their Decade of Hits.... Whipping Post, and also Memory Of Elizabeth Reed

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - Beatles

How Many More Times - Led Zep

Matt700wlw
05-24-2006, 08:19 PM
"Gotta Jibboo" or "First Tube" from Phish's Farmhouse have a nice groove to them.

Matt700wlw
05-24-2006, 08:20 PM
"Higher Ground" by The Chili Peppers.

Flea rules!

RedFanAlways1966
05-24-2006, 08:30 PM
You're absolutely right. Eddie was the half-decomposed animated corpse and Vic was all skeleton, natch?

Yep. You must have been at an Iron Maiden show when the drummer almost got crushed. They used to have an Eddie-guy on stilts come out and do different things during one song. The drummer could have been Clive Burr or Nicko McBrain depending on the year and tour.

And when speaking of Iron Maiden... Steve Harris (bass thread!). The guy could thump his Fender bass and wrote many great songs (and most Maiden songs). There weren't a lot of bass players during Maiden's prime that were in the forefront like Harris was in their tunes. A driving bass-line and many killer lead fills (that you could hear in the recordings!). Other bands in their genre (Judas Priest) didn't use the bass as a primary instrument in their music. Harris was/is a 4-string maestro. Wrathchild, Run To The Hills, The Rime of The Ancient Mariner, Hallowed Be Thy Name, etc. Thumpin' bass.

cincinnati chili
05-24-2006, 09:25 PM
"Gotta Jibboo" or "First Tube" from Phish's Farmhouse have a nice groove to them.

That's some quality music. While I'm unabashed Phishead, my wife who hates Phish loves that album. For good reason, IMO.

Other good Mike Gordon basslines: "Split Open and Melt" plus just about everything on the Rift album: "Rift," "Sparkle," "Silent in the Morning."

"Yours is No Disgrace" by Chris Squire of Yes

If we wanna stay local, how about a couple Cincy natives:

Bootsy Collins (for De-Lite) - "Groove is in the Heart."

Bob Nyswonger (The Raisins) - "Fear is Never Boring"

reds1869
05-24-2006, 11:14 PM

True enough, but the question was about bass lines, and that is indeed a bass line.

BoydsOfSummer
05-24-2006, 11:15 PM
Damn near any Maiden tune,pick one. Entwistle did some serious work with those 10" fingers he had also.

cincinnati chili
05-25-2006, 12:35 AM
True enough, but the question was about bass lines, and that is indeed a bass line.

I second your opinon here. Frank Zappa used to talk about how he got annoyed when flashy bass players stopped using the bass for its root function - providing bottom.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a bassline.

pedro
05-25-2006, 01:48 AM
Help on the Way - The Grateful Dead

Harry Hood - Phish

Stash - Phish

westofyou
05-25-2006, 09:50 AM

Harry Hood - Phish

Stash - Phish
You can feel good about Hood.

vaticanplum
05-25-2006, 10:02 AM

This is true.

Hap
05-25-2006, 10:03 AM
Anything by Rush from Farewell To Kings up through Moving Pictures.

In particular..

The Trees
Freewill
La Villa Strangiato
Red Barchetta

Falls City Beer
05-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Yep. You must have been at an Iron Maiden show when the drummer almost got crushed. .

No, it was definitely Megadeth. It was a small, pneumatic-jawed Vic Rattlehead above the drummer that fell partially.

Tommyjohn25
05-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Not really a fan of theirs, but Nine Inch Nails "Closer" comes to mind.

Falls City Beer
05-25-2006, 10:09 AM

I hate the White Stripes, but I must admit that Jack White is talented with his pedals, if you know what I mean and I think you do.

Run it through an octave pedal and the low E on a guitar will most certainly sound like a bass. (Cf Hey Hey My My (Into the Black) by Neil Young--Neil's guitar is filtered by an old Mutron Octave Divider--makes it sound like a train laying on the brakes).

vaticanplum
05-25-2006, 10:27 AM
Run it through an octave pedal and the low E on a guitar will most certainly sound like a bass. (Cf Hey Hey My My (Into the Black) by Neil Young--Neil's guitar is filtered by an old Mutron Octave Divider--makes it sound like a train laying on the brakes).

Now see, I've spent the better part of the last ten years almost solely around musicians and yet still when people break out with stuff like this it's like you're speaking Senegalese. And I don't even know if there is such a language as Senegalese, which is equally appropriate.

I've seen this, and I can hear it, but the words come in and arrrghhhhh.

registerthis
05-25-2006, 10:34 AM
"Walking on the Moon", The Police

chicoruiz
05-25-2006, 12:14 PM
No thread about bass lines would be complete without a mention of all the great lines laid down by Motown house bassist James Jimmerson. My favorite is "I Want You Back".

And on a more avant-garde note, the late Jaco Pastorius did some amazing work on a couple of Joni Mitchell albums. Check out "Refuge of the Roads" or "Cotton Avenue".

Falls City Beer
05-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Now see, I've spent the better part of the last ten years almost solely around musicians and yet still when people break out with stuff like this it's like you're speaking Senegalese. And I don't even know if there is such a language as Senegalese, which is equally appropriate.

I've seen this, and I can hear it, but the words come in and arrrghhhhh.

I'm kind of a pedal-geek. An octave divider adds, in addition to the note that is played on the clean signal, the same note, only an octave (or two) lower. The old octave pedals were kind of primitive and often had difficulty "tracking" the signal coming from the guitar and ending with the amplifier, so they kind of "burped" a lot trying to keep up with the signal notes, resulting in the screeching train sound. The more modern ones track nicely, but don't sound nearly as cool and anarchic.

Falls City Beer
05-25-2006, 12:20 PM
No thread about bass lines would be complete without a mention of all the great lines laid down by Motown house bassist James Jimmerson. My favorite is "I Want You Back".

All the Motown sessions guys were the Old Masters of their instruments. I've not heard musicians since that top them.

NJReds
05-25-2006, 12:23 PM
"Gimme Some Lovin" - Spencer Davis Group

Red Leader
05-25-2006, 12:26 PM

:thumbup: :clap: :clap:

I was wondering if Phil was going to get any love in this thread.

registerthis
05-25-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm kind of a pedal-geek. An octave divider adds, in addition to the note that is played on the clean signal, the same note, only an octave (or two) lower. The old octave pedals were kind of primitive and often had difficulty "tracking" the signal coming from the guitar and ending with the amplifier, so they kind of "burped" a lot trying to keep up with the signal notes, resulting in the screeching train sound. The more modern ones track nicely, but don't sound nearly as cool and anarchic.

My old band's guitarist had this great vintage octave pedal...I can't remember the model, but I think he picked it up second hand at Music-go-Round. It actually worked quite well, but I'm familiar with the "burping" sounds you mention.

I've got a multi-effects processor made by Boss that I use...it has an octave pedal function that is probably technically better than the one our guitarist used, but like you I just don't think the sound is as cool. There's somethign to be said for a certain amoutn of primitivism in your sound.

registerthis
05-25-2006, 12:29 PM
All the Motown sessions guys were the Old Masters of their instruments. I've not heard musicians since that top them.

I have, but they're generally jazz guys who aren't doing session work anymore. There are a good number of musicians active today who are the absolute masters of their craft--you just don't know of them.

Not to take anything away from the Motown players, who were simply exceptional.

Red Leader
05-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Green Onions - Booker T.

RedFanAlways1966
05-25-2006, 01:04 PM
There's somethign to be said for a certain amount of primitivism in your sound.

Absolutely. I have purchased numerous effects units over the years (Zoom, Boss, Art, TC Electronics, etc, etc)... always the next greatest thing. Today I go straight into the amp other than an ISP Decimator pedal that kills noise (and is the best hush pedal/unit out there IMO). All I need is clean and crunch sounds that I can change with the amp itself. The amps these days are so "hot" that they can pretty much do it for ya. All I buy nowadays is new tubes and strings.

Ravenlord
05-25-2006, 01:49 PM
song with a kickin' rythm section, driven by a great bass line:

"Dirty Black Summer"-Glenn Danzig

Johnny Footstool
05-25-2006, 05:13 PM

Jack White uses it again prominently in the excellent riff in "Blue Orchid".

Yachtzee
05-25-2006, 09:24 PM
A big reason I love early R.E.M and Pixies is because of the bass work of Mike Mills and Kim Deal, respectively.

nycredsfan
05-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Any bass line by Ron Carter from the Miles Davis Quintet circa '65-'68. Also, almost anything by Charles Mingus.

NJReds
05-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Big Time - Peter Gabriel (Tony Levin on bass)

Blimpie
05-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Anything by Rush from Farewell To Kings up through Moving Pictures.

In particular..

The Trees
Freewill
La Villa Strangiato
Red BarchettaI don't know how I could have forgotten this one...:thumbup:

harangatang
05-27-2006, 12:10 AM
As a bass player, here are some songs that I cringe at the thought of playing. I listen to alot of ska (punk/reggae) music and has some of the best walking bass lines you'll ever hear. Though the band Chicago has some pretty hard bass lines too.

Johnny Quest (Thinks We're Sellouts) -Less Than Jake
Funny Papers -MU330
Sick and Sad -Streetlight Manifesto
All My Best Friends are Metalheads -Less Than Jake
Questions 67 & 68 -Chicago
Wheels -Cake

RedsIn07
05-27-2006, 01:09 AM
Basically any song Victor Wooten has ever played. (I don't know if you could call some of them bass lines.)

westofyou
05-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Borderline - Camper Van Beethoven

Matt700wlw
05-27-2006, 12:47 PM
I think pretty much anything Les Claypool does can be thrown into this category...

Primus and Oysterhead come to mind.

Betterread
05-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Any bass line by Ron Carter from the Miles Davis Quintet circa '65-'68. Also, almost anything by Charles Mingus.

Thank you for mentioning an acoustic bass player. The difference in techincal ability between Mingus and a bass-player reliant on amplification, even Les Claypool, is enormous. Any bass violinist in any city orchestra in the US has more technical ability than a "rock" bassist, who sooner or later, will rely on effects and sound manipulation to create. Don't get me wrong, any attempt to creat music is a worthwhile pursuit, its just that some musiscians work harder at their technique than other, while some rely on post-performance manipulation to achieve their results. One sound is obviously more "authentic".

wolfboy
05-28-2006, 11:52 AM
The Rapture

Out Of The Races And Onto The Tracks.

deltachi8
05-29-2006, 05:31 PM
Big Bottom - Spinal Tap (how can you beat that 3 layered bass line?)

cincinnati chili
05-30-2006, 01:09 AM
Big Time - Peter Gabriel (Tony Levin on bass)

Just out of curiosity, does he play bass on that song or Chapman Stick?

Either way, it's a "bass line," but I've never seen him play that song live.

NJReds
05-30-2006, 09:56 AM
I saw him play live, but it was so long ago, I can't remember exactly what he was playing...:help:

Now that you mention it, though, I think you're right.

Falls City Beer
05-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Just out of curiosity, does he play bass on that song or Chapman Stick?

Either way, it's a "bass line," but I've never seen him play that song live.

Definitely the Chapman Stick. I think he played it on Security as well.

But I agree, it's a marvelous bass line.

registerthis
05-30-2006, 12:22 PM
I think pretty much anything Les Claypool does can be thrown into this category...

Primus and Oysterhead come to mind.

When all else has been done and said, along comes Mr. Oysterhead.

KittyDuran
05-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Green Onions - Booker T.How about "Shotgun" by Junior Walker & The All-Stars?

Some more: I might have missed it, but anyone mention "Rescue Me" by Fontella Bass?

"Something About You" Level 42
"Planet Earth" Duran Duran (John Taylor using a pick)

REDREAD
06-01-2006, 07:14 AM
La Grange - ZZ Top

In college, I met a girl from LaGrange, Georgia.. When I told her "I heard they got a lot of nice girls there.. Ah how how how", she didn't get the joke.

registerthis
06-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Any bass violinist in any city orchestra in the US has more technical ability than a "rock" bassist, who sooner or later, will rely on effects and sound manipulation to create.

I don't agree with this at all. They're two completely separate instruments that require completely different skill sets. Is the world's greatest harpist more talented than the world's greatest guitarist? You can't compare the technical abilities of two completely different instruments--they both take a substantial amount of skill to play proficiently. Simply because one allows for the use of electronic sound manipulation doesn't mean it takes any lesser amount of talent.

some musiscians work harder at their technique than other, while some rely on post-performance manipulation to achieve their results. One sound is obviously more "authentic".

Regardless of what one considers to be "authentic" (and if we're going to argue from that standpoint, let's just go back to tying horsehair between a bowed stick), "authentic" and "talent" are not mutually exclusive. People tried to make the same case against synthesizer players three decades ago, and electric guitar players before that. Simply because the sound created is electronically enhanced does not mean it takes any lesser amount of talent to play proficiently.

cincinnati chili
06-03-2006, 02:50 AM
Don't get me wrong, any attempt to creat music is a worthwhile pursuit, its just that some musiscians work harder at their technique than other,

David Blaine works harder at his technique than David Wells. But David Wells is a lot more compelling.

KittyDuran
06-03-2006, 01:14 PM
The opening bass lines of "Cool Jerk" by the Capitols...

StillFunkyB
06-04-2006, 10:14 AM

Was going to say the same thing. Primus sucks. ;)

I really dig that new song from Three Days Grace, "The Animal I have become".

cinredsfan2000
06-04-2006, 10:18 AM
The bass line in the Dave mathew's band song "crush" .

westofyou
06-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Was going to say the same thing. Primus sucks. ;)

I really dig that new song from Three Days Grace, "The Animal I have become".
I saw a Primus show once that was opened by Firehose and Cracker.

Mike Watt came out and played with Primus and everyones chest moved.

Mutaman
06-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Any line that James Jamerson ever played. If you
don't believe me just listen to:

My Girl - Temptations
Bernadette - 4 Tops
Aint That Peculiar - Marvin Gaye
Ooh Baby Baby - The Miracles
To Many Fish In The Sea - The Marvelettes
Uptight (Everything Is Alright) - Stevie Wonder
Heat Wave (U) - Martha & The Vandellas
This Old Heart Of Mine - Isley Brothers
I Heard It Through The Grapevine (2 recordings) - Marvin Gaye, Gladys
Knight
& Pips
Where Did Our Love Go - Diana/Supremes
Since I Lost My Baby - Temptations
For Once In My Life - Stevie Wonder
My Guy (U) - Mary Wells
Your Precious Love - Marvin Gaye/Tammy Terrell
You've Really Got A Hold On Me - The Miracles
Love Child - Diana/Supremes
I Guess I'll Always Love you
Dancing In The Streets - Martha & The Vandellas
Don't Mess With Bill - The Marvelettes
What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
Standing In The Shadows Of Love - 4 Tops
Mickey's Monkey - The Miracles
Cloud Nine - Temptations
Nothing's To Good For My Baby - Temptations
My Baby Loves Me - Martha & The Vandellas
You Keep Me Hanging On - Diana/Supremes
You Beat Me To The Punch - Mary Wells
Little Darling (I Need You) - 4 Tops
I'm Ready For Love
The Way You Do The Things You Do - Temptations
I Can't Help Myself - 4 Tops
Roadrunner - Jr. Walker & The All-Stars
You're All I Need To Get By - Temptations
You Can't Hurry Love - Diana/Supremes
Shop Around - The Miracles
Ain't To Proud To Beg - Temptations
My Cherie Amour - Stevie Wonder
It's The Same Old Song - 4 Tops
How Sweet It Is - Marvin Gaye
Take Me In Your Arms (And Rock Me A Little While) - Brenda Holloway
Ain't No Mountain High Enough (2 recordings) - Marvin Gaye/Tammy
Terrell,
Diana/Supremes
My Baby Must Be A Magician - The Marvelettes
Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart - Diana/Supremes
Beauty Is Only Skin Deep - Temptations
Ask The Lonely - 4 Tops
Going To A Go-Go - The Miracles
I was Made To Love Her - Stevie Wonder
Hitch Hike - Marvin Gaye
I Second That Emotion - The Miracles
Please Mr. Postman - The Marvelettes
Jimmy Mack (U) - Martha & The Vandellas
I Hear A Symphony - Diana/Supremes
Shake Me, Wake Me (When It's Over) - 4 Tops
I'm Gonna Make You Love Me - Temptations
Get Ready - Temptations
The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game
Stop! In The Name Of Love - Diana/Supremes
That's What Love Is Made Of
Nowhere To Run - Martha & The Vandellas
Seven Rooms Of Gloom - 4 Tops
Pride & Joy - Marvin Gaye
(I Know) I'm Losing You - Temptations
Two Lovers - Mary Wells
I'll Turn To Stone - 4 Tops
Come See About Me - Diana/Supremes
Stubborn Kind Of Fellow - Marvin Gaye
How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone
If I Were your Woman Gladys Knight & The Pips
My World Is Empty Without You - Diana/Supremes
The Tracks Of My Tears - The Miracles
I'm Wondering - Stevie Wonder
Can I Get A Witness - Marvin Gaye
The Girls Alright With Me - Temptations
Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Da Day - Stevie Wonder
Reflections - Diana/Supremes
What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted - Temptations
Baby I Need Your Loving - 4 Tops
Quicksand... - Martha & The Vandellas
Reach Out...I'll Be There - 4 Tops
You Beat Me To The Punch - Mary Wells
The Bells - The Originals
Shotgun - Jr. Walker & The All-Stars
Fingertips (pt2)- Stevie Wonder
Hey Girl - Stevie Wonder
What Are You Gonna Do When I'm Gone (U) - Kim Weston
Still Water Runs Deep - Four Tops
All in the Game - Four Tops
My Baby - Temptations
The One Who Really Loves You (U)- Mary Wells
This Old Heart Of Mine - Isley Brothers
My Whole World Ended (The Moment You Left) - David Ruffin
It Takes Two (U) - Marvin Gaye/Tammy Terrell
Honey Chile - Martha & the Vandellas
To Busy Thinking About My Baby - Marvin Gaye
When Your Young And In Love - Marvelettes
Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing - Marvin Gaye/Tammy Terrell
Still Waters Run Deep - Four Tops
If I Were Your Woman - Gladys Knight & the Pips
Higher and Higher- Jackie Wilson
Boom Boom Boom Boom- John Lee Hooker
...And countless other Album tunes and "B" sides.

In 1983 Jamerson had to scalp a ticket to
get a seat for the filming of the Motown 25th Anniversary show. Is
this a great country or what?

KittyDuran
06-04-2006, 07:27 PM
In 1983 Jamerson had to scalp a ticket to
get a seat for the filming of the Motown 25th Anniversary show. Is
this a great country or what?That's sad...:( So, it looks as though the man was on every major hit coming out of Motown...:)

*BaseClogger*
01-21-2009, 01:58 AM
Bass lines are what drive most of my musical interests so I thought I might revive this thread with a few of my favorites that haven't been mentioned (limiting one per artist or this list would have hundreds of stuff by Les Claypool):

Falling to Pieces by Faith No More
Psychosilocybin by Incubus
Punk It Up by Infectious Grooves
Crawl by Kings of Leon
Fall On Me by King's X
Got the Life by Korn
One Better by Les Claypool
The Girls of Porn by Mr. Bungle
Hysteria by Muse
Love Buzz by Nirvana
A Million Ways by OK Go
The Toys Go Winding Down by Primus
Bombtrack by Rage Against the Machine
Funky Monks by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Institutionalized by Suicidal Tendencies
The Pot by Tool
King by Yummy
Down by 311

And of course anything by Les Claypool, Flea, Justin Chancellor, Tim Commerford, or Robert Trujillo is great! :cool:

gilpdawg
01-21-2009, 04:43 AM
Speaking of the Chapman Stick, how about "New Millennium" by Dream Theater.

And as far as regular ol' bass goes, I like the bass line in "Heaven and Hell" by Sabbath.

RedsFan75
01-21-2009, 09:12 AM
As a bassist, how did I miss this thread!!!

And I'll echo the James Jammerson comment, and add in Rocco Prestia (Tower of Power), and Carol Kaye. They were some of my early influences.

as well as Ron Carter, Mingus, Nathan East, Anthony Jackson, Roscoe Beck, Tommy Shannon... Well, I could go on and on about my favorites.

SunDeck
01-21-2009, 11:14 AM
The song that immediately comes to mind for me is "Drive my Car" by the Beatles.
Maybe Billy Preston had something to do with that.

nate
01-21-2009, 11:38 AM
The song that immediately comes to mind for me is "Drive my Car" by the Beatles.
Maybe Billy Preston had something to do with that.

Just off of memory but that might've been before Billy was working with the Beatles.

It is a good riff though.

Ravenlord
01-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Zetsubou Billy - Maximum The Hormone

VR
01-21-2009, 07:20 PM
As a bassist, how did I miss this thread!!!

wow, agree.

Pink Floyd (Roger Waters)/ "Money"

U2/ "With our without you"

The 5th Dimension/ "Let the sunshine in" (my favorite)

redsfanmia
01-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Badge by Cream comes to mind.

gonelong
01-22-2009, 12:03 AM
I missed this thread the first time around. My go to is 20 lb test of Berkley Vanish spooled onto a bait-caster flippin' and pitchin' soft-baits up towards the bank or cover such as rocks, docks, logs, etc. I like a lighter line when casting plugs, etc.

From time to time I also put on 4/6 lb test on an Ultra-Light to ... wait, what?

GL

deltachi8
01-22-2009, 12:12 AM
No mention of the bong-rattling bass of Mel Shocker form Grand Funk Railroad?

RedsFan75
01-22-2009, 09:40 AM
wow, agree.

Pink Floyd (Roger Waters)/ "Money"

U2/ "With our without you"

Dead on with you there.

It may be Cliche, but Money is one of the lines I play when I go into a store to try a bass out! lol Usually throw in "Another One Bites the Dust" too!

redhawkfish
01-22-2009, 04:48 PM
I resemble this post!:D

I missed this thread the first time around. My go to is 20 lb test of Berkley Vanish spooled onto a bait-caster flippin' and pitchin' soft-baits up towards the bank or cover such as rocks, docks, logs, etc. I like a lighter line when casting plugs, etc.

From time to time I also put on 4/6 lb test on an Ultra-Light to ... wait, what?

GL

Sean_CaseyRules
01-22-2009, 09:17 PM
"Phantom of The Opera" - Iron Maiden, number one ALL TIME best Bass Line.
Although its been mentioned a lot, "Peace Sells" - Megadeth is number two.
And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the bass line in "Dazed and Confused" - Led Zeppelin!

Handofdeath
01-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Give Up the Funk by Parliament is a good one

All hail the Mighty Bootzilla!

redsmetz
01-23-2009, 09:45 AM
I'd forgotten about this thread, but I'm surprised no one's mentioned "Don't Be Cruel" by Elvis Presley.

Likewise, I think the bass played by Charlie McCoy on Dylan's John Wesley Harding album is just great work. Besides the title track, there's "As I Went Out one Morning", "Down along the Cove" "All along the Watchtower" and "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight" It's really a well played album throughout with McCoy, drummer Kenny Buttrey and steel guitarist Pete Drake on the two final cuts.

I was just watching some video clips this week of Cream and was impressed with Jack Bruce's work and there was some clip of The Who that I watched (maybe I Can See for Miles) where I thought Keith Moon (drums) and John Entwhistle just added so much to the song. In looking at a few clips of The Who this morning, it's clear how Entwhistle puncuates so much of Townsends guitar work.

Roy Tucker
01-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Anything by Larry Graham

Boogie on Reggae Woman - Stevie Wonder

Roundabout - Chris Squire

Paperback Writer, Rain, Come Together, Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight - Paul McCartney

pedro
01-23-2009, 11:32 AM

Love that ending.

dsmith421
01-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Likewise, I think the bass played by Charlie McCoy on Dylan's John Wesley Harding album is just great work. Besides the title track, there's "As I Went Out one Morning", "Down along the Cove" "All along the Watchtower" and "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight" It's really a well played album throughout with McCoy, drummer Kenny Buttrey and steel guitarist Pete Drake on the two final cuts.

Brilliant spot. The melodic interplay between McCoy and Dylan makes that album.

Dom Heffner
01-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Since my favorite Bass is Lance, I would like to offer a line he used on me at an Ybor City club back in the late 1990s.

Oh- wrong kind of bass.

redsmetz
01-23-2009, 04:38 PM
I always enjoyed the bass on "That Thing You Do" from the movie of the same title. Of course, the song was written by the bass player from the band Fountains of Wayne. The bass player character in the movie is credited as T.B. Player (The Bass Player), no name is used throughout the movie. And what can you say about the bass talents of his replacement, "Wolfman" Pell, played by real life jazz bassist, Larry Antonino.

http://www.smooth-jazz.de/Artists3/Antonino.html

Ravenlord
01-23-2009, 05:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgF8APxWzpM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKAkreYSns4

GoGoWhiteSox
01-25-2009, 03:59 AM
"Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now"- McFadden and Whitehead

klw
01-25-2009, 07:32 PM
I immediately thought of this song.

"Bass Dance" by Big Country

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_paxLlCG5g0

Caveat Emperor
01-25-2009, 08:14 PM
When I think "bass guitar," my first thought is Sly & The Family Stone's "Thank You Fallatinme Be Mice Elf Agin" -- probably the coolest bass line I've ever heard.

Honorable mention to Rage Against the Machine's "Bulls on Parade" as well.

Roy Tucker
01-26-2009, 04:45 PM
When I think "bass guitar," my first thought is Sly & The Family Stone's "Thank You Fallatinme Be Mice Elf Agin" -- probably the coolest bass line I've ever heard.

Larry Graham :thumbup:

nate
01-26-2009, 05:40 PM
If you like Larry Graham, you should check out "Hair."

OldRightHander
01-27-2009, 10:22 AM
When you say bass, I think singers, so I probably don't have much to offer this thread.

nate
01-27-2009, 11:17 AM
When you say bass, I think singers, so I probably don't have much to offer this thread.

How about Barry White then?

The Operator
02-02-2009, 12:01 PM
"Testify" - Rage Against The Machine
"In The Fade" - Queens of The Stone Age
"Time Is Running Out" - Muse
"Sludge Factory" - Alice in Chains
"For Whom The Bell Tolls" - Metallica
"Toot" - Brant Bjork
"Sky Pup" - Melvins
"Down By The Water" - PJ Harvey
"Creep" - Stone Temple Pilots

...and pretty much anything by Les Claypool. :thumbup:

*BaseClogger*
02-02-2009, 01:12 PM
"Testify" - Rage Against The Machine
"In The Fade" - Queens of The Stone Age
"Time Is Running Out" - Muse
"Sludge Factory" - Alice in Chains
"For Whom The Bell Tolls" - Metallica
"Toot" - Brant Bjork
"Sky Pup" - Melvins
"Down By The Water" - PJ Harvey
"Creep" - Stone Temple Pilots

...and pretty much anything by Les Claypool. :thumbup:

Nice chocies! :thumbup:

M2
02-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Precious - Pretenders
Waiting Room - Fugazi
In Like Flynn - Girls Against Boys (or really any GVSB track since that band was all bass)

Roy Tucker
02-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Guns of Brixton- The Clash
Hungry - Paul Revere and the Raiders
Six Pack - Black Flag

M2
02-07-2009, 10:40 PM
One more

Detroit Rock City - KISS

Chip R
02-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Crossroads - Cream

TeamCasey
02-08-2009, 11:19 AM
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/baray/Largemouth.jpg

*BaseClogger*
02-08-2009, 03:33 PM
One more

Detroit Rock City - KISS

KISS is in a thread with the word 'great' in it? ;)

M2
02-08-2009, 03:56 PM

They've had their moments. That bass line in DRC being one of them.

Ravenlord
02-08-2009, 08:51 PM

most of there best is on the "Detroit Rock City Album", outside of that, i have little use for them.

BoydsOfSummer
02-09-2009, 07:08 PM
KISS is fun. Just don't take them too seriously.

redsfanmia
02-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Any bass line played by John Entwhistle.

hmbarnitz
02-18-2009, 04:16 AM
The Beach Boys, Brian Wilson, Pet Sounds, SMiLE, etc.

*BaseClogger*
02-18-2009, 01:11 PM
"Jenny was a Friend of Mine" by The Killers

Falls City Beer
02-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Hotter than Hell is one of the greatest albums of all time. Stugatz.

"Billie Jean" Michael Jackson is another.

*BaseClogger*
02-22-2009, 02:19 PM
"In a Jar" by Dinosaur Jr.

Falls City Beer
02-22-2009, 04:44 PM
"In a Jar" by Dinosaur Jr.

Lou Barlow, great bassist.

BoydsOfSummer
02-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Heard Charlie Daniels' 'The South's Gonna Do It Again' on the radio earlier. That's got a nice little nothing fancy bass groove to it.

Dom Heffner
02-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Maneater- Daryl Hall & John Oates
Every Breath You Take- the Police

For you saxophone fans, if you listen to the 12" remix of Maneater, they remove the echoed sax of the original version and you can hear it straight, without the "dual" effect. Pretty cool, even for a cheesey 80s classic.

nate
02-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Maneater- Daryl Hall & John Oates
Every Breath You Take- the Police

For you saxophone fans, if you listen to the 12" remix of Maneater, they remove the echoed sax of the original version and you can hear it straight, without the "dual" effect. Pretty cool, even for a cheesey 80s classic.

I always like "You Make My Dreams Come True." Just octaves in the bass but it cooks pretty nicely.

Road Pop
02-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Some that I like for bass that I don't think has been mentioned (couple more popular for guitar LOL)

Sir Paul - Silly Love Songs
Doobies - Long Train 'Runnin/Takin' it to the Streets
Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl/Domino/Moondance
Walsh - Funk #49
Nugent - Stranglehold
Eagles - Hotel/One of These Nights
Cheap Trick - Gonna Raise Hell
Jaco Pastorius - Portrait of Tracy

Parliament
03-04-2009, 03:12 AM
yo la tengo - moby octopad
supergrass - 20ft halo

cincinnati chili
03-13-2009, 12:11 AM
Phish - Split Open and Melt (Mike Gordon)
Gil Scott Heron - The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (Ron Carter, I think)

JBChance
03-13-2009, 02:16 AM
Rage Against The Machine - Killing in the Name

The first part is awesome - make sure the kids are out of the room for the end, though ;)

A lot of Zeppelin - How Many More Times, Dazed and Confused, The Crunge, D'yer Maker, Achillies Last Stand

A Perfect Circle - Weak and Powerless
Norah Jones - Cold, Cold Heart
Ozzy Osborne - War Pigs
ZZ Top - I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide (lots of cool, bluesy playing in their early albums)
Live - Pillar of Davidson, TBD
Drowning Pool - Break You
Chevelle - An Evening with el Diablo, Wonder What's Next
Rush - Anthem and La Villa Strangiato (so many are great)
Alice in Chains - Would
Three Days Grace - Animal I Have Become
Arethra Franklin - Chain of Fools
Incubus - Nice to Know You
Tool - Schism, Sober, The Pot (so much great stuff to list)
James Brown - I Got You (I Feel Good)
Jimi Hendrix - Fire (a GREAT band behind him)
Stevie Ray Vaughn - Crossfire (another awesome band - Double Trouble)
Metallica - Pulling Teeth
Pink Floyd - Pigs (Three Different Ones)
Soundgarden - Slaves and Bulldozers
Stone Temple Pilots - Big Empty
Van Halen - Runnin' with the Devil (simple and stupid, but, in concert, really rocks!)

*BaseClogger*
03-13-2009, 02:22 AM
Incubus - Nice to Know You

Great choice. Incubus used to have some very funky bass lines...

RedsFan75
03-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Top 100 Rock Basslines.

Digital Dream Door
http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/best_basslines.html

Spitball
03-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Just bought their Decade of Hits.... Whipping Post, and also Memory Of Elizabeth Reed

"Whipping Post" and "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed" are classics. The Fillmore Concerts is my favorite album of all time. I saw The Allman Brothers (The J. Geils Band opened) on Boston Common in the early seventies just weeks before Duane Allman died. With two lead guitars and two drummers, they were an awesome band in those days. They went down hill after that and became two commercial. I saw them years later in Watkins Glenn with The Grateful Dead and The Band. They just were not near the same band.

PedroBourbon
03-14-2009, 06:17 PM
"Walking on the Moon", The Police

I'll second that.

Would also add:
Sweet Jane- Lou Reed/Velvet Underground (Cowboy Junkies version too)
Spirit of Radio- Rush

marcshoe
03-14-2009, 08:14 PM
"What's a nice tuna like you doing in a swamp like this?"

;)

*BaseClogger*
03-16-2009, 01:38 AM
Top 100 Rock Basslines.

Digital Dream Door
http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/best_basslines.html

Those lists are crap and extremely biased towards classic rock IMHO...

*BaseClogger*
03-18-2009, 03:11 PM
"In The Fade" by QotSA

nate
03-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Dunno if I mentioned this one but it just came to me: "Penthouse and Pavement" by Heaven 17. Rocking bassline for 80's Brit pop.

Redhook
03-19-2009, 09:48 PM
The bass line in "Little Green Bag" by George Baker is badass.

This song is better known for being in the movie Reservoir Dogs by Tarantino. Cool song.

RedsFan75
03-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Those lists are crap and extremely biased towards classic rock IMHO...

True but it is interesting to see how some of them are viewed. Some of them are obvious, but some are ones I hadn't heard in a long time. Would love to see the same 'type' of list for a R&B, or Jazz, etc...

RedFanAlways1966
03-20-2009, 07:41 AM
"Maggot Brain" by Funkadelic. Simple and played over-n-over about 300 times, but a great line for phenominal guitar riffage.

*BaseClogger*
04-07-2009, 05:24 PM
I present 'Bonin' In the Boneyard' by Fishbone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsK5YOyZsds

You bass fans have got to check out more of his videos. He has done some awesome covers of my favorite bass lines.

Here is his youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/zodiakironfist

redsmetz
12-22-2010, 07:28 AM
Listening to this song this a.m. reminded me of this thread.

YouTube - Eric Burdon - The Animals - We Gotta Get Out Of This Place (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxNEiZhpinY)