PDA

View Full Version : Hamels to the DL

BrooklynRedz
05-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Phils placed Cole Hamels on the 15-day DL with a strained left shoulder retroactive to May 19.

Heath
05-24-2006, 07:25 PM
Well, here we go.

cincyinco
05-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Shocking...

:shocked:

Buckeye33
05-24-2006, 07:42 PM
That was a fun 2 starts Mr. Hamels.

See you for 3 or 4 starts next year.

KronoRed
05-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Put this on the "Don't rush Bailey" list

Aronchis
05-24-2006, 07:47 PM

Hamels is 22 years old and never has had good health.

BoydsOfSummer
05-24-2006, 11:54 PM
Said he heard two "pops" in his shoulder last start. Uh-oh. Darn shame cuz the kid has a world of talent.

captainmorgan07
05-25-2006, 12:04 AM
poor kid might be the next kerry wood all the talent but to many injuries

redsfan30
05-25-2006, 10:41 AM
Said he heard two "pops" in his shoulder last start. Uh-oh. Darn shame cuz the kid has a world of talent.
Pops in the shoulder?

How we lookin'.....not good.

smith288
05-25-2006, 10:54 AM
I dont think rushing someone to the majors has much to do with a pop in a shoulder. Methinks he pitches the same up in the majors that he did in the minors and he wasnt pitching anything out of the norm in terms of pitch counts was he? Just bad luck or typical for this guy from what I understand.

danforsman
05-25-2006, 10:56 AM
I have not compared his pitch counts in his two major league starts to his pitch counts in the minors. For the sake of argument, assume that they are in the same realm (85-100 pitches or so). Why were the Phillies irresponsible for moving him up to face big league hitters rather than minor league hitters? If they thought that he had dominated the minors, which he had, and they thought he was mentally ready to face big league hitters, then how can they be to blame if they were cautiously monitoring his pitch counts?

paintmered
05-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Pops in the shoulder?

How we lookin'.....not good.

Yeah, that has labrum issues written all over it. :(

membengal
05-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Just so Reds-like in terms of their luck that one of his only two healthy major league starts ever came against them...

M2
05-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Though I'm normally a vocol opponent of rushing pitchers (it's just racing toward failure and calamity says I), Cole Hamels arm was going to blow up no matter where he pitched. He's made of balsa.

KronoRed
05-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Just so Reds-like in terms of their luck that one of his only two healthy major league starts ever came against them...
The Reds are now hurting pitchers who aren't even Reds, it's a spreading curse :help:

dougdirt
05-25-2006, 05:16 PM
lol Krono!

How about we just curse other teams pitchers instead of our own from now on?
Sound good to everyone else?

TheBigLebowski
05-26-2006, 01:14 AM
Agree that his move to the majors had nothing to do with his injury.

He throws the same stuff in The Big Show that he does at AA or AAA.

Guy is fragile.

This is just one of many examples of why it is always risky to deal young or proven hitting (oftentimes both) for a young arm. Kids are throwing curves waaay too early. I'm 28 years old. When I was 13-14, most kids were throwing curves, even though the accepted philosophy was that they were too young to be doing it. I was not allowed to even try to throw a curve until I was 16. Thus, it took me 16 years to figure out I had no pitching talent other than the natural advantage my height gave me in throwing a fastball. Obviously, I wasn't around decades ago, so I cannot compare the amount of young pitchers who experience problems with their arms to today's rates, but it appears fairly obvious that there are exponentially more pitchers with arm problems early in their careers than before.

Sports are soooo much more competitive these days than they have ever been. Young kids with talent are developing their pitches at much earlier ages; doing so likely at the expense of their long-term viability.

I worked for the University of Florida's Athletic Association during college. It was AMAZING to me how many pitchers we brought in who blew out their arms in college. The culprit was generally the overuse and/or misuse of their arms' as youngsters. Pitching is remarkably taxing on a person's arm. It is not a natural motion. Even young sidearmers (a rare breed, to be sure) have to be careful.

Ahh...off the soapbox.

cincinnati chili
05-26-2006, 02:45 AM
Though I'm normally a vocol opponent of rushing pitchers (it's just racing toward failure and calamity says I), Cole Hamels arm was going to blow up no matter where he pitched. He's made of balsa.

We need this guy to get enough innings for a Strat Card.

And I agree with Smith. He was dominating Triple A. That' s not rushing a guy. Homer, by comparison hasn't dominated squat.

M2
05-27-2006, 02:16 PM
We need this guy to get enough innings for a Strat Card.

And I agree with Smith. He was dominating Triple A. That' s not rushing a guy. Homer, by comparison hasn't dominated squat.

Doesn't look too good on the Strat card front.

As for dominating AAA, Hamels certainly has (or perhaps I should say had) stuff. Though I'm guessing that if the IL had a chance to get a book on him he would have found himself challenged. Hamels also needed to learn how to carry a regular workload. He'd never pitched enough to do it. In most situations I'd have the kid working through that in the minors. Though a guy as fragile as him may never be healthy enough to do that at any level.

WebScorpion
05-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Got these off Roto Times:
May 27 - Cole Hamels, on the DL with a strained left shoulder, said he has been feeling fine and almost regrets telling the Phillies about the injury, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. He admitted that he probably wouldn't have even mentioned his shoulder injury if he knew he would have felt this good. Hamels, who is eligible to come off the DL next Saturday, will probably make a minor-league rehab appearance before being activated.

May 29 - Cole Hamels is slated to toss a simulated game on Monday, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. On the disabled list with a strained shoulder, Hamels tentatively is scheduled to make a rehab start on Friday. If all goes well, he could return to action June 7.

Maybe he'll get that Strat Card after all ;)

Ravenlord
05-29-2006, 01:19 PM
i'd love to see Hamels put together 4 straight healthy seasons...for some reason, i think he'd have a Barry Zito-ish kind of movement...couples year of dominance, a good year, and then a struggle.

but i think Hamels will be lucky to get 4 healthy seasons out of his entire career...this is why scalpular loading is bad kids.