PDA

View Full Version : A New Stat

billy117
05-24-2006, 08:10 PM
As I watched Brandon Claussen get his first hit of the season, I was thinking that there should be a new stat for pitchers. It would be similar to an ERA perhaps an adjusted ERA. I know that Classen didn't drive anybody in but if a pitcher drives in a run you subtract that run from his total earned runs. So let's say a pitcher gives you a "quality" start and goes 6 inn. and gives up 3 runs (4.50 era), but he drives in one run so his adjusted era would be 3.00. It's pretty meaningless but so are some other stats, but I think this stat would give a look at the pitcher's total worth or productivity. For most pitchers it wouldn't matter at all but if it caught on maybe it would put a premium on pitcher's that could handle the bat.

Obviously this is an NL only stat, and I'm sure that someone much more clever than I could come up with a better name for it. Or mabye it's been thought of but it's just too stupid and meaningless to matter.

fisch11
05-24-2006, 08:18 PM
In that case Jason Marquis would have a pretty nasty ERA! Maybe negative.

buckeyenut
05-24-2006, 09:33 PM
Actually there is a Runs Scored Above Average number for pitchers that takes that into account. I remember it because when it did, Aaron Harang was below average because he was so putrid at the plate.

billy117
05-24-2006, 09:46 PM
ahh well i figured there was something similar but i didn't know and i'm certainly not going to look it up before i post that would be silly