PDA

View Full Version : My Felipe Lopez Bobblehead Night Experience...

uks2h
05-25-2006, 04:44 PM
I want to make this short and sweet to get the point across.

How can a guy who starts most every game get a "Rest" on his own bobblehead night? Is Narron unaware of promotions or just doesn't care? Is his ego so big that he thinks people won't complain? This was ridiculous.

Then, I noticed Dunn wasn't playing either. Well, we pretty much forfeited this game at the start. Absolute embarrassment. I drive 3 hours each way to get to the game, and this is the reason more crowds don't come out.

LET ME EXPLAIN....

When you have a Bobblehead Night, you are going to get a bigger crowd than normal. That gives you the chance to play the stars and get a big win so that most of those folks will say "hey, that was fun, let's come back". Instead, people don't get to see our only 2005 All-Star, as well as the leading RBI and Home Run hitter on the club. This is incredibly stupid.

Flame me if you want, but I am not wrong.

registerthis
05-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Feel better?

uks2h
05-25-2006, 04:48 PM
Definitely. :laugh:

redsfan30
05-25-2006, 04:49 PM
If it takes getting a free bobblehead to get people in the seats, it doesn't matter if they win or lose, they're probably not going to be back.

They're just there for the giveaway.

oneupper
05-25-2006, 04:54 PM
If the marketing guys wrote the lineups...they'd it do your way. But they don't.

uks2h
05-25-2006, 04:55 PM
If it takes getting a free bobblehead to get people in the seats, it doesn't matter if they win or lose, they're probably not going to be back.

I disagree completely.

That's like saying "if Cokes are on sale 5/$10.00 this week at Kroger, then people will come in and buy the Cokes and never come back."

I guess if that is the logic you use, then no, people wouldn't be back.

I work at Kroger and deal with promotions, so I know that we try to pull people in with promotions, so that they will come back again after experiencing good service.

In retrospect, at least we got Griffey, who provided the only really "loudly exciting" part of the night when he got up to bat with the bases loaded in the 3rd. He dribbled it down to 1st base and got one RBI, but at least he didn't strikeout like Kearns.

I had a good time, as I always do, but I just hate to see such an opportunity wasted by the Reds (in my opinion, anyway).

Z-Fly
05-25-2006, 04:58 PM
So do we bring Barry Larkin or Dave C. back for their bobble head nights? The manager of the Reds thought it was best for those two players to rest last night. I don't care who's bobble head night it is/was, the manager should do what is best for the team. The reason the Reds lost last night was not because Lopez didn't play on his bobble head night. It was because Claussen get plastered by the Brew Crew's hitting.

dabvu2498
05-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Unfortunately the promotions department doesn't communicate with the baseball department on things like this. If a few people stay away because of this... too bad.

KronoRed
05-25-2006, 05:09 PM
I actually agree with thread starter, if you have a big crowd it would help to put the best lineup out there, most of the people are probably just there for the toy, but some might get excited and come back, I dunno..but Ross in left and Q in right sure doesn't excite me ;)

dabvu2498
05-25-2006, 05:14 PM
It always helps to put your best lineup out there. But that isn't always the best long-term decision. I don't necessarily like attending Sunday afternoon games for that very reason.

RedFanAlways1966
05-25-2006, 05:22 PM
Lefty Doug Davis can be blamed... Lopez batting RH is not as good as Rich Aurilia in the opinion of Narron. And Narron probably felt Dunn (also LH as we all know) could use a night off (2 nights w/ today) and it might as well be against a LH pitcher.

I understand the gripe. However, I am for Narron making moves for winning reasons and not reasons that have to do w/ dolls.

BoCcc2832
05-25-2006, 06:24 PM
"When you have a Bobblehead Night, you are going to get a bigger crowd than normal. That gives you the chance to play the stars and get a big win so that most of those folks will say "hey, that was fun, let's come back". Instead, people don't get to see our only 2005 All-Star, as well as the leading RBI and Home Run hitter on the club. This is incredibly stupid."

I agree that Lopez should have started on his bobble-head night, but to get upset at Dunn not playing is just ridiculously bad luck. Don't blame Narron on that.

Redhook
05-25-2006, 06:41 PM
"When you have a Bobblehead Night, you are going to get a bigger crowd than normal. That gives you the chance to play the stars and get a big win so that most of those folks will say "hey, that was fun, let's come back". Instead, people don't get to see our only 2005 All-Star, as well as the leading RBI and Home Run hitter on the club. This is incredibly stupid."

I agree that Lopez should have started on his bobble-head night, but to get upset at Dunn not playing is just ridiculously bad luck. Don't blame Narron on that.

I agree with you. Bad luck with Dunn not starting. But Lopez needs to be starting on his "own" night. He plays 160 games a year. He might get 2 games off ALL YEAR and Narron times it up with bobblehead night (by the way, I could care less about bobbleheads, it's just the principle of this matter). I believe you play to play well all year, yada yada yada, but the Reds need to be much more sensitive with the fans. Many fans came to get a Lopez bobblehead, see Lopez play, pay their respect to him by waving the little sucker around all game and go home happy. The fans are extremely important to our teams' success. I have no problem with Dunn sitting, but sitting Lopez last night was not bad luck, it was just plain stupid. A lot people will remember this, and they won't be happy, and they might not come back.

TeamBoone
05-25-2006, 09:57 PM
I actually agree with thread starter, if you have a big crowd it would help to put the best lineup out there, most of the people are probably just there for the toy, but some might get excited and come back, I dunno..but Ross in left and Q in right sure doesn't excite me ;)

I totally agree with both of you.

Bobblehead nights bring in the butts... everyone knows that. Make them happy by putting your best product on the field in the hopes they'll return.

Ballpark promotions are designed to benefit the team; perhaps the team's manager could help out a little. I don't think it's too much to expect to see the best product on field (every night, in my opinion, with an occasional day off for one of the starters, not two in the same game).

In addition, I also believe fans have the right to expect the night's featured player to be in the starting lineup. Felipe hasn't had many nights off and with a day off today, there was no reason not to run him out there. If he was playing crappy, it might be another story, but he isn't.

I guess Narron didn't even want to try going for the sweep. No excuses in my opinion.

And he made a whole lot of fans very unhappy; me included.

I couldn't disagree more. That's what a promotional night is all about and it works. If they're happy and have a good time, they'll be back.

redsfan30
05-25-2006, 10:31 PM
I'd be interested to see if there are attendance figures in correlation with bobblehead nights. I agree that winning does at least help somewhat with those large crowds, my point is just that alot of those people are there just to collect the bobbleheads because they're in fashion right now.

They could care less about the game. Win, lose or draw.

George Foster
05-25-2006, 10:39 PM
I drove 4 hours round trip with my 7 year old daughter. Try to explain to a 7 year old why the bobble head guy is not playing.

I can't help but think that one of the main reasons why people aren't coming to the game is the price of concessions. Get this: corndog, whaffle fries, large coke.....$12.75. I'm not kidding...$12.75. This is nuts. I could not image a family of four with a household income of $50K coming more than once or twice a year..tops. 4 decent tickets. 36x4= $144 + parking $10 + gas $15 + food $48 = $217.00

There have been 2 bobble head nights so far this season. The attendance to the first one was 30K and last night was 29K that is 21K bobble heads not given away. I hope they get the message.

I don't have a problem with the ticket prices. However a corndog, fries, and a coke should only cost about $6.50 tops. Wal-Mart knows this business principle. Make less profit per sale, but sale alot more and make even a bigger profit.

RedFanAlways1966
05-25-2006, 10:45 PM
We went to the Johnny Bench, Chris Sabo & Eric Davis bobblehead games... those guys never got into any of their respective games! We were bummin' and waited until the end of each game in hopes of seeing them at least PH. Notta!

Never understood it or how it could happen to us three times. Must have been the fault of the REDS manager at that time... Bob Boone.

;)

RedsMan3203
05-25-2006, 10:56 PM
I spent 48$ last night on dinner at the ballpark.

Chicken Tenders and Fries, Pulled Pork, and Hamburger plus 3 drinks = 44 plus tip = 48$.

Ltlabner
05-25-2006, 11:25 PM
I guess I agree about not playing Lopez on his bobble head night. Then again, maybe there was something going on behind the sceens we don't know about.

I do think it's funny people griping about not playing Dunn as the constant drumbeat these days is to not only not play Dunn but send him packing. Now some people are ticked when he isn't in the line up!

The bottom line is that there are usually about 20,000 +/- 3000 people in attendance on any given night. Most of those are what I call "true fans". People who actually like baseball, want to see a bunch of games, season ticket types, weekend ticket package folks (myself included) who just want to go see baseball played. When there is a freebee given out you see attendence swell...no problem at all with that, as it is basic business to get more butts in the seats. But at the end of the day these are "incremental attendees" that are only going to show up when they percieve they are going to get some crappy give away. You may be able to draw a few of those back with good service, etc but the numbers will be minimal at best. Someone said that people will be mad and not come back...guess what. Those folks who are there soley for the bobblehead aren't comming back anyway. Should the reds provide great customer serivce and a good team, of course. Should they jump through all sorts of hoops to satisfy a bunch of people who are mostly there for the give away and woln't be back. No way.

TeamBoone
05-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Both Dunn and Lopez were out of the line up because what's his name was pitching. I don't remember Dunn's record against him, but Felipe was 2 for 10. But Lopez is hitting right now, so I found it a poor excuse.

cincinnati chili
05-26-2006, 12:24 AM
I usually don't agree with letting the tail wag the dog, but I think this is different. I agree with the thread starter. This will cost the Reds some goodwill. If Lopez needs two days off, then give him the day off AFTER the travel day.

Funny thing, Marty mentioned in the pregame show that back in the day when Rich Aurilia was actually a top offensive shortstop, he got his own bobblehead night. Dusty Baker, who feuded constantly with Giants ownership, gave Aurilia the night off.

I know they were just trying to win, but I expect a little more from Castellini/Krivsky.

reds44
05-26-2006, 12:32 AM
I usually don't agree with letting the tail wag the dog, but I think this is different. I agree with the thread starter. This will cost the Reds some goodwill. If Lopez needs two days off, then give him the day off AFTER the travel day.

Funny thing, Marty mentioned in the pregame show that back in the day when Rich Aurilia was actually a top offensive shortstop, he got his own bobblehead night. Dusty Baker, who feuded constantly with Giants ownership, gave Aurilia the night off.

I know they were just trying to win, but I expect a little more from Castellini/Krivsky.
Why?

Davis is a lefty, Felipe is worse against lefties. Webb (a righty and one of the better pitchers in baseball) is pitching Friday.

Newman4
05-26-2006, 01:10 AM
Dunn's OPS against LH is .982

No excuse for him not playing with the day off today.

Felipe .697 against over 1.000 for RA and Hatte so I guess it's understandable, just crappy timing with bobblehead night.

Other notables that there's no excuse for are:

Freel .957 against LH
D. Ross 1.228 :shocked: vs. LH to LaPew's paltry .332

cincinnati chili
05-26-2006, 02:54 AM
Why?

Davis is a lefty, Felipe is worse against lefties. Webb (a righty and one of the better pitchers in baseball) is pitching Friday.

Because Friday isn't bobblehead day, and believe that the loss of goodwill can cost you more than the loss of one game... assuming you actually lose it.

My thoughts are also tempered by the fact that I don't think the Reds are going to finish above .500 this year, let alone be playoff contenders

BCubb2003
05-26-2006, 03:42 AM
A conundrum: If you have to rest your good players anyway, do you rest them in separate games and diminish your chances in more than one game, or do you rest them in the same game and do greater damage but limit it to the one game?

cincinnati chili
05-26-2006, 04:06 AM
I think John Nash would agree with the latter and he won a Nobel Prize.

Ron Madden
05-26-2006, 05:00 AM
I understand the whole idea concerning match ups and what is best for the team.

I can also understand the disapointment of fans that bought tickets well in advance and drove hours to get to the game.

I have always hated the Sunday line ups. I remember when I was a kid thinking if Star Players needed a day off it should always be a road game. :)

Edskin
05-26-2006, 08:40 AM
Man, the whining really gets to me. IMO, you go to the game because you are a fan of the team/game. Whenever I go to Reds games, I understand that I run the risk of seeing a bad performance or not seeing one of my favorite players. I don't think the Reds "conceeded" the game on Wednesday. The opposing pitcher has had great success against us and Narron decided to mix it up a bit. Just like going to the movies, you can't be guaranteed you are going to like what you see.

And I've never really bought into the "family of four argument" either. When people calculate those numbers, they almost always calculate a hot dog, popcorn, corn dog, coke, etc... You could save yourself a lot of money by just getting tickets and not going crazy at the concession stands.

High concession prices have NOTHING to do with attendance IMO-- concession prices are high in Boston, New York, and St. Louis-- and those people roll out every night because the product is good.

I hate to say this, but I've noticed over the years that many Reds fans seem very "whiny" to me-- always griping and moaning about the little things. IMO, the Reds don't owe the fans ANYTHING other than to play hard every night. Jerry Narron can't be worried about who plays on what bobblehead night or who sits when there's a big crowd.

Pro sports is still the best bang for your entertainment buck. You can take a family of four to the Reds game for about the same price as taking a family of four to the movies on a Saturday night-- and IMO, the Reds game gives you more return for your investment.

Look around, ain't nothing cheap no mo' :)

Ltlabner
05-26-2006, 09:27 AM
I don't think the Reds are going to loose an ounce of good will over not playing Dunn and Lopez on Lopez bobblehead night. The people who don't have to be bribed with a bobblehead to come to the games will continue to come to see the team.

Those who came soley for the bobblehead aren't comming back to see the team unless they are given something else. They can be ticked all they want...they wern't comming back anyway so you haven't lost a thing.

Do I think it was kinda dumb to not have lopez out there, even if just for a pitch hit or something on his bobblehead night. Yea kinda. But to think droves of alledged "fans" aren't going to come back because of it doesn't make sense because they aren't comming back anyway.

capndees
05-26-2006, 09:58 AM
We went to the Johnny Bench, Chris Sabo & Eric Davis bobblehead games... those guys never got into any of their respective games! We were bummin' and waited until the end of each game in hopes of seeing them at least PH. Notta!

Never understood it or how it could happen to us three times. Must have been the fault of the REDS manager at that time... Bob Boone.

;)

So I guess Felipe Lopez is also a former player? Thanks for clearing that up. Since he's now retired, I'll be sure and not vote for him on this year's all-star ballot.

smith288
05-26-2006, 10:04 AM
Seems odd not to have Lopez play on his own night but im also not in favor of dictating your lineups on promotions that are going on.

RedFanAlways1966
05-26-2006, 10:22 AM
So I guess Felipe Lopez is also a former player? Thanks for clearing that up. Since he's now retired, I'll be sure and not vote for him on this year's all-star ballot.

Nope... I checked the roster this morning. But I'll bet he can laugh at an obvious joke. Not everyone can... ya think?

:confused:

capndees
05-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Nope... I checked the roster this morning. But I'll bet he can laugh at an obvious joke. Not everyone can... ya think?

:confused:

Yeah, I got a chuckle, but the 10,000 marks who came out for a free toy didn't think it was too funny. Or are they too dumb to know the difference between current and former players? I don't think so. Not playing Lopez Wed. was a seriously boneheaded, arrogant move.

RedFanAlways1966
05-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I got a chuckle, but the 10,000 marks who came out for a free toy didn't think it was too funny. Or are they too dumb to know the difference between current and former players? I don't think so. Not playing Lopez Wed. was a seriously boneheaded, arrogant move.

That is fine... write a letter to Narron and company. I always find that a bit of humor can be good for the soul. You wanna get so upset that you want to pick on me for trying to be funny, then have at it!

:)

Redhook
05-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Seems odd not to have Lopez play on his own night but im also not in favor of dictating your lineups on promotions that are going on.

It's beyond odd. I'm sure all of us on Redszone are true Reds fans and most of us really don't care too much about bobbleheads or other promotions. We go to see the game. However, there are alot of casual fans that like the "free" stuff. They go once a year or a few times a year for it. Just because they're not avid fans like us doesn't mean they should be taken for granted. The Reds need them for attendance. Irritating these "casual" is not a good move. It adds up. Who knows how many will come back or won't, but the Reds can't risk losing more fans. Attendance is way down, they need to be doing EVERYTHING they can to bring in more fans and keep them coming back. Ownership and management dropped the ball on this one. I'm sure some were a little upset about Dunn not playing, but I'm also sure they could understand him taking a day off. On the otherhand, Lopez being out of the lineup is unacceptable on his night. He plays 160 games a year. He isn't hurt. Give him another day off, not this one. It was his day. He only has one a year. Not a good PR move...period!

westofyou
05-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Sometimes managers leave guys out or take them out so that they can insert/remove them to a flurry of applause.

Which is what happened the other night, perhaps that was the intended (and what occured) scene.

Redhook
05-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Sometimes managers leave guys out or take them out so that they can insert/remove them to a flurry of applause.

Which is what happened the other night, perhaps that was the intended (and what occured) scene.

Or maybe Narron was forced to put Lopez later in the game because he was informed he messed up? I don't know. I understand and agree with your point, but I just believe Lopez should've started. Fans are just way too sensitive these days. I think you could kind of compare it to this: a young kid trys to get an autograph from one of his favorite players. The player tells the kid he can't for whatever reason. There's a good chance this kid will not only remember this forever, he may also start hating this player. Not a perfect analogy, but not way off. Not starting Lopez isn't going to scar fans for life by any means, but it irritated enough of them that this can't be ignored in the future.

westofyou
05-26-2006, 11:22 AM
.250/.329/.368/.697 vs LH this year

.091/.167/.273/.439 vs Davis for career.

Perhaps not looking pitiful on his night was what they were avoiding.

As far as slamming the team for this I'll pass, if this is the worst that has happened after years of Marge and Carl I'll live with it.

But then again I'm getting a free bobble head from my Reds connection, so I'll refrain from taking shots at the Reds marketing department. ;)

Redhook
05-26-2006, 11:29 AM

Perhaps not looking pitiful on his night was what they were avoiding.

As far as slamming the team for this I'll pass, if this is the worst that has happened after years of Marge and Carl I'll live with it.

But then again I'm getting a free bobble head from my Reds connection, so I'll refrain from taking shots at the Reds marketing department. ;)

You make some great points. I want the Reds to put the best team out there too every night. But, I think stats can be thrown out for one player once a year. Just once.

Ltlabner
05-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Redhook...I agree that it would have been a better PR move to play Lopez but to think there will be a great uprising of fans because of it is false. These are folks only there for the freebee. In general, they woln't be enticed back without another freebee. They may leave the game irritated and grouse about it on the drive home. Then guess what...they forget about the Reds and start thinking about the next Nascar race, move premere, dinner out with friends, mowing the lawn, watching their kids play soccer, or whatever. Baseball is just one of many entertainment options for them, not a passion.

They will forget about the Reds until the next freebee night (or interesting team is in town ie Red Sox, or an interesting serrries with a player about to break a record).

I think the Reds promotional money would be better spent trying to draw fans from Indy, Lexington, Louisville, Columbus, etc. Doing promotional moves to entice them to make a few more trips a year would have a far better long-term payoff. The fans who only show up for freebees don't require any more work to get them to the ballpark. We know how to get them there already...just offer up a free goodie. Mission accomplished.

Redhook
05-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Redhook...I agree that it would have been a better PR move to play Lopez but to think there will be a great uprising of fans because of it is false. These are folks only there for the freebee. In general, they woln't be enticed back without another freebee. They may leave the game irritated and grouse about it on the drive home. Then guess what...they forget about the Reds and start thinking about the next Nascar race, move premere, dinner out with friends, mowing the lawn, watching their kids play soccer, or whatever. Baseball is just one of many entertainment options for them, not a passion.

They will forget about the Reds until the next freebee night (or interesting team is in town ie Red Sox, or an interesting serrries with a player about to break a record).

I think the Reds promotional money would be better spent trying to draw fans from Indy, Lexington, Louisville, Columbus, etc. Doing promotional moves to entice them to make a few more trips a year would have a far better long-term payoff. The fans who only show up for freebees don't require any more work to get them to the ballpark. We know how to get them there already...just offer up a free goodie. Mission accomplished.

I agree with you too. I actually thought this was way overblown before I was listening to 1360 yesterday with the two angry guys. Callers kept complaining about this. After listening to a couple of them, I understood their point. The Reds may only lose a few fans over this, there won't be a huge uprising by any stretch, but wouldn't it be better if these fans left and went home and told their friends to go because they'd have a great time? I think so. The Reds should be selling out these bobblehead nights, not struggling for 30,000.

You're right, marketing needs to come up with new ways to bring in new fans from those cities you mentioned. Hopefully, it'll improve because if more people don't start showing up, the Reds payroll will stay at $60 million for way too long.

lucky bugle boy
05-26-2006, 11:44 AM
I was shocked when I turned on the radio and Lopez wasn't playing. I'm picturing a young kid wanting to go to a game, maybe lives 3 or 4 hours away, Lopez is his favorite player, what better night for his parents to take him to a game, and then Lopez is on the bench? At least he did come into the game later on, but still. I know it's not exactly the same, but it's almost like planning to go to a Rolling Stones concert and they never play 'Satisfaction'. Sure the die-hard fans don't care, but everyone else is like what the heck?

Redhook
05-26-2006, 11:48 AM
I was shocked when I turned on the radio and Lopez wasn't playing. I'm picturing a young kid wanting to go to a game, maybe lives 3 or 4 hours away, Lopez is his favorite player, what better night for his parents to take him to a game, and then Lopez is on the bench? At least he did come into the game later on, but still. I know it's not exactly the same, but it's almost like planning to go to a Rolling Stones concert and they never play 'Satisfaction'. Sure the die-hard fans don't care, but everyone else is like what the heck?

This is exactly why I changed my mind on this subject. At first, I thought it's more important for Narron to put out the best lineup rather than try to appease the promotions. But then I heard a dad from Toledo or somewhere up there call in and said he couldn't explain to his kids why Lopez wasn't playing on his bobblehead night. After listening to this caller, I changed my opinion on this subject.

westofyou
05-26-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm picturing a young kid wanting to go to a game, maybe lives 3 or 4 hours away, Lopez is his favorite player, what better night for his parents to take him to a game, and then Lopez is on the bench?Maybe.. myself I'm picturing a Wednesday night game during the last week of school and the parents telling the kids there is no way in hell they are driving 3 hours to the game.

OnBaseMachine
05-26-2006, 12:06 PM

I just bidded on one.

Below is a picture of it...sharp looking if you ask me. I'll be keeping mine in the box and placing it beside my Adam Dunn and Edwin Encarnacion(Chattanooga) bobbleheads. :D

http://i7.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/3c/31/6f_1.JPG

lucky bugle boy
05-26-2006, 12:07 PM
Maybe.. myself I'm picturing a Wednesday night game during the last week of school and the parents telling the kids there is no way in hell they are driving 3 hours to the game.

Well, our schools were out Tuesday; I do understand your point. I didn't go to the game, but had thought about going. When you live far enough away that it is only feasible to go to maybe 4, 5 games a year, as I do (tho I listen to most all on the radio) I sometimes plan to go around promotionals. Not because I'm only going to get the freebie, but because if we are going to be able to go to just a few games anyway, you might as well go sometime when you get something cool. Had I gone, I would not have been irrate to the point of not going again but would have been very puzzled.

IowaRed
05-26-2006, 12:11 PM
doesn't necessarily apply here but it reminds me of a quote attributed to Joe D.

"There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first or last time, I owe him my best."

lucky bugle boy
05-26-2006, 12:13 PM
doesn't necessarily apply here but it reminds me of a quote attributed to Joe D.

"There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first or last time, I owe him my best."

:thumbup: Sure it applies here.

Newman4
05-26-2006, 12:16 PM
You know, I kinda take offense to the crap being thrown around about people who attend because it's bobblehead night not being true Reds fans. I admit I choose to attend the Reds games where memorabilia is being given away. I have our family room decorated with Reds stuff and like to add to my collection. I have a 2 year old daughter that likes bobbleheads. Since I live 3 hours away, I can only go to a handful of games each year. So why not go enjoy watching the Reds on nights when they give me something to take home with me as well?

lucky bugle boy
05-26-2006, 12:28 PM
You know, I kinda take offense to the crap being thrown around about people who attend because it's bobblehead night not being true Reds fans. I admit I choose to attend the Reds games where memorabilia is being given away. I have our family room decorated with Reds stuff and like to add to my collection. I have a 2 year old daughter that likes bobbleheads. Since I live 3 hours away, I can only go to a handful of games each year. So why not go enjoy watching the Reds on nights when they give me something to take home with me as well?

Couldn't agree more. I'm in the exact same situation (even the two year old daughter!). When it costs $50-60 just in gas to go, it makes it hard to get to more games. And we'll go specifically for bobblehead nights sometimes.

TeamBoone
05-26-2006, 01:30 PM
This is exactly why I changed my mind on this subject. At first, I thought it's more important for Narron to put out the best lineup rather than try to appease the promotions. But then I heard a dad from Toledo or somewhere up there call in and said he couldn't explain to his kids why Lopez wasn't playing on his bobblehead night. After listening to this caller, I changed my opinion on this subject.

I agree, and Lopez IS the better option at SS (rather than RA). He was getting a day off the next day anyway.

In addition, Lopez is hitting well now... who knows how he was hitting when the poor stats were acquired. He could have been in a funk at that time.

And, IMHO, you never give two starters the day off on the same day, especially when they aren't even playing the next day.

westofyou
05-26-2006, 01:33 PM
n addition, Lopez is hitting well now... who knows how he was hitting when the poor stats were acquired. He could have been in a funk at that time.Or he just doesn't hit LH's very well and 2 days off in a row is a nice rest for his legs.

Ltlabner
05-26-2006, 01:46 PM
But then I heard a dad from Toledo or somewhere up there call in and said he couldn't explain to his kids why Lopez wasn't playing on his bobblehead night.

Huh? I guess I am cold hearted then. If a father can't deal with explaining to the kid that yes it's dissapointing but you are going to the ball game, got a bobblehead, got to have a fun time, etc then I don't know what to tell them. Sure it's dissapointing but to be stymied as a parent over it? Come on. I know this will prob get a fire storm of responce but if a parent can't handle consoling a dissapointed child (who still gets to go to the ball game, get a bobble head, maybe even miss school the next day) then I don't know what to tell you.

You know, I kinda take offense to the crap being thrown around about people who attend because it's bobblehead night not being true Reds fans. Ok, maybe I missspoke then. I can understand that if you can only get to a few games why not make it on the same night as when you are getting some in addition to the ball game. That doesn't not make you a Reds fan. However, I still continue to question whether people who only attend the ballgame on big promotion nights to get free stuff are real BASEBALL fans.

You're right, marketing needs to come up with new ways to bring in new fans from those cities you mentioned. Hopefully, it'll improve because if more people don't start showing up, the Reds payroll will stay at $60 million for way too long.

To me, this is the far bigger issue. The reds need to keep putting a quality team on the field. So far so good, but they have to do it for more than two months to convince a lot of people to come to the ball park. They also have to get creative to help entice more of the Reds fans in distant cities to make the treck.

KittyDuran
05-26-2006, 02:04 PM
Huh? I guess I am cold hearted then. If a father can't deal with explaining to the kid that yes it's dissapointing but you are going to the ball game, got a bobblehead, got to have a fun time, etc then I don't know what to tell them. Sure it's dissapointing but to be stymied as a parent over it? Come on. I know this will prob get a fire storm of responce but if a parent can't handle consoling a dissapointed child (who still gets to go to the ball game, get a bobble head, maybe even miss school the next day) then I don't know what to tell you. You sound just like my Dad [but he HATES baseball]... "So you want to go to the ballgame, OK, we'll go to see a ballGAME and that's it." I can still hear him saying that! :D

uks2h
05-26-2006, 03:14 PM
Huh? I guess I am cold hearted then. If a father can't deal with explaining to the kid that yes it's dissapointing but you are going to the ball game, got a bobblehead, got to have a fun time, etc then I don't know what to tell them. Sure it's dissapointing but to be stymied as a parent over it? Come on. I know this will prob get a fire storm of responce but if a parent can't handle consoling a dissapointed child (who still gets to go to the ball game, get a bobble head, maybe even miss school the next day) then I don't know what to tell you.

Ok, maybe I missspoke then. I can understand that if you can only get to a few games why not make it on the same night as when you are getting some in addition to the ball game. That doesn't not make you a Reds fan. However, I still continue to question whether people who only attend the ballgame on big promotion nights to get free stuff are real BASEBALL fans.

To me, this is the far bigger issue. The reds need to keep putting a quality team on the field. So far so good, but they have to do it for more than two months to convince a lot of people to come to the ball park. They also have to get creative to help entice more of the Reds fans in distant cities to make the treck.

You embarrass me. I go to 20 games a year, drive 3 hours each way, spend all kinds of money, and I go to every promotions night I can get to in the meantime. I watch or listen to every game of the season. I am a poor college student who spends his summers working and going to Reds games. I am embarrassed that you get on here and try to separate "REAL" fan from whatever else it is you call us who like to get free stuff. Maybe I should start shooting for games that have no promotions like yourself? Not a chance. If I spend that much money to get to a game, I deserve something when I can get it. I've stuck with this team for the last 5 years and they have mostly sucked. Don't get on here telling people who like promotion nights that they aren't true fans. This is the last post I'm making here because I have no doubt that you will pick apart my post and flame me.

tripleaaaron
05-26-2006, 03:31 PM
I spent 48$ last night on dinner at the ballpark.

Chicken Tenders and Fries, Pulled Pork, and Hamburger plus 3 drinks = 44 plus tip = 48$.
$4 tip? I guess this is not the place but ? As a server we make only 2.13 an hour and less than 10%? Its not the servers fault that the prices are rediculous, but that is for another place I guess.
But on the issue of the bobblehead night and Felipe not starting, I saw alot of little kids who are potential future die-hard fans of the Reds VERY disapointed that Felipe was not in the lineup, to them they just recieved a new toy of their potential new hero, but instead they were left wondering why he wasn't playing, and then saw a very disappointing loss, at least for their sake they would have been able to cheer for something, as in each lopez at-bat, or a good play at short. And in addition, bobblehead nights are great for the team, when you recieve something free you tend to spend more at the concession stands (and the Enquirer where also giving free tickets to that game, as well as good-grade tickets, these free opportunities give children a chance to fall in love w/ the Reds and beg their parents to take them to more, so to say that you dont want these people back is ignorant, by saying that you are also saying that you want the payroll to remain low, because that is inevitable if we can't get fans to the game, no matter their real intentions.

tripleaaaron
05-26-2006, 03:39 PM
as an additional note both Felipe and Aurillia are 1 for 11 against Davis, so no, Aurillia was not the better matchup

Ltlabner
05-26-2006, 03:50 PM
I never said I didn't want these fans back. What I am saying is that there are people who ONLY come for the free crap. This is borne by the vastly higher attendence on bobblehead nights. If the only reason they decide to go to a Reds game is the freebee then you don't have to do anything else to get them to come back. Any other efforts are meaningless because they only want the free stuff. Why invest extra resources to bring them back when obviously all they want is free stuff. Thoese are resources (marketing $$$) that could be spent much more wisely to grow the fan base. Isnt' that what we're talking about here...increasing the attendence?

We know how to get the "free stuff" crowd to GABP. Give them somthing free. This is something they've always done, do often and should continue to do. But are there any other marketing ways that could attract other types of people to the ballpark? They have the "free stuff" croud nailed down. Focus more energy and money on attracting other people so they too can have the opportunity to experience the game and fall in love with it as we have.

uks2h, please re-read my posts. I said in a second post that I understood trying to combine trips to the ballgame with promotional nights, especially when out of town, made sense. I hadn't considered that with my orginal post and I recoginized it when pointed out. But face it, you are the rarity if you are doing all that you say (listening to games on radio, etc). Most people who ONLY show up on promotional nights are in it ONLY for the free stuff. If they weren't then the reds would routinely draw 30,000. Instead they typically are the in 20k's and see a +10,000 jump when there's a big give away. So yea, somebody who only goes to the ballgame just to get the free stuff and otherwise doesn't think twice about the Reds? They are casual Reds fans at best, and certinally not baseball fans.

REDREAD
05-26-2006, 04:22 PM

I disagree. The bobblehead night is the opportunity to get people hooked on the team, to market the team to an audience that may not normally come.

If the causal fan drives 3 hours to see a game, and gets ripped off by having both Lopez and Dunn sit out, that creates a very negative experience. I'd be upset if I drove all that way and Dunn and Lopez were both benched.

If I was a manager, I'd make every effort to give the stars their days off on away games. I know it's impossible to do that 100%, but that should be the goal.

SandyD
05-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Maybe.. myself I'm picturing a Wednesday night game during the last week of school and the parents telling the kids there is no way in hell they are driving 3 hours to the game.

:laugh: That sounds like my parents. I begged my parents to take me to Cincinnati to a ball game ... any ball game (4 hour drive?), and they refused. They said there was nothing in Cincinnati for the rest of the family, so they took me to St Louis instead ... 4 years later.

I was in my 40s before I finally got to see the Reds play. Sept 10, 2001 at Wrigley. They lost miserably.

I think Lopez "should have" started his bobblehead night. But there seems to be logical baseball reasons to give him a rest that night. (Lefty on the mound, etc.)

REDREAD
05-26-2006, 04:37 PM

Who really cares though? It's not as if the team is going to contend this year. Benching Lopez and Dunn certainly didn't win the game for us.

I'd rather give the 26 year old Lopez more at bats against lefties so that he learns how to hit them better. If he's a part of the long term future of the team, why not let him learn to hit lefties..

Bottom line is a lot of Lopez fans came to get the bobblehead and see him. The Reds missed a great opportunity to showcase one of their stars. Instead, a lot of people left the ballpark less happier than they could've been. And then the Reds will wonder why they have trouble selling tickets.

REDREAD
05-26-2006, 04:40 PM
These are folks only there for the freebee. In general, they woln't be enticed back without another freebee. .

Remember, all die hard fans start off as causal fans. You got to start courting the next group of die hard fans. The bobblehead got them to the park, now the second part of the equation is to try to earn repeat business.

Why throw up your hands and just assume there's no way to lure certain people without a happy meal toy? Considering that they could buy the bobblehead on ebay the next day for a lot less than the total cost of a game, they must've had some interest in seeing the game.

Obviously, the original poster and the George Foster poster didn't come there just for the toy. There's at lesat two regional fans that the Reds just disappointed.

registerthis
05-26-2006, 04:41 PM
And then the Reds will wonder why they have trouble selling tickets.

I wonder that too, and it isn't because Lopez doesn't play on his bobblehead day.

RedFanAlways1966
05-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Who really cares though? It's not as if the team is going to contend this year. Benching Lopez and Dunn certainly didn't win the game for us.

I guess Jerry Narron cares... about what? Winning games. His job depends on it.

You got proof to show that the bobblehad thing (probably began around 2001) shows a better attendance (in games that follow) when a player plays in the game where his bobblehead is given away?

My guess (and not to pick on you, REDREAD) is there is no proof that dolls help attendance other than when they are given to fans at that game. Attendance drop or peak due to the lineups during doll giveaways in the games that follow? Not happening... GUARANTEED. If there is concrete proof of this, then I invite anyone to show it.

westofyou
05-26-2006, 04:54 PM

I'd rather give the 26 year old Lopez more at bats against lefties so that he learns how to hit them better. If he's a part of the long term future of the team, why not let him learn to hit lefties..

Bottom line is a lot of Lopez fans came to get the bobblehead and see him. The Reds missed a great opportunity to showcase one of their stars. Instead, a lot of people left the ballpark less happier than they could've been. And then the Reds will wonder why they have trouble selling tickets.
Two days off in a row is a nice treat for the two guys who play the most for your team.

But who cares?

The Reds aren't going to win anyway.:evil:

REDREAD
05-26-2006, 04:56 PM

You got proof to show that the bobblehad thing (probably began around 2001) shows a better attendance (in games that follow) when a player plays in the game where his bobblehead is given away?

My guess (and not to pick on you, REDREAD) is there is no proof that dolls help attendance other than when they are given to fans at that game. Attendance drop or peak due to the lineups during doll giveaways in the games that follow? Not happening... GUARANTEED. If there is concrete proof of this, then I invite anyone to show it.

Well, technically, you can't prove that bobbleheads or any other giveaway increases attendence for the entire season, because it's a non-repeatable experiment.. If the team has 3 bobblehead nights per year that draw an average of 10k more fans to those three games, it might be possible that those 30k would've gone to other games if there wasn't bobbleheads given away. Maybe all bobblehead giveaways do is cause attendence that you would've gotten anyhow to be concentrated on particular nights. In other words, maybe those fans aren't just there for the giveaway, the giveaway only influences the game they pick.

What we do have is evidence of is a lot of fans being disappointed Lopez didn't start on his bobblehead night. Maybe it won't hurt future ticket sales, but it sure won't help. Carl Lindner and John Allen flushed away a lot of goodwill with the fans. The team (including Narron) need to bend over backwards to win back some of those fans that stopped coming after 1999, or only came in 2003 to see the new park.

REDREAD
05-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Two days off in a row is a nice treat for the two guys who play the most for your team.

But who cares?

The Reds aren't going to win anyway.:evil:

Lopez could've taken the next two days off.. Yeah, who cares about making your customers as happy as possible? Evidently, not Narron.

And as someone pointed out, Dunn and Lopez's replacements were 1 for 11 vs Davis, so that arguement is shakey. I'm sure you're not going to argue that Aurillia gives you a better chance to win than Lopez, are you? :laugh:

Ltlabner
05-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Why throw up your hands and just assume there's no way to lure certain people without a happy meal toy? Considering that they could buy the bobblehead on ebay the next day for a lot less than the total cost of a game, they must've had some interest in seeing the game.

You are right they had some interest in seeing the game. They also had interest in going to movies, watching tv, taking the kids to disney world and a myrid of other entertainment choices. What made them decide to pick that game, of all 82 home games to go to the ballpark? The give away made it worth their while to chose the Reds over all the other possibilities. Of course there are other reasons like scheduling , vacations, etc but again I am talking about people who are only mildly interested in the Reds and aren't baseball fans in general. They really only want the goodies and If you do anything else to attract those specific people you'll face diminishing returns.

You comment about assuming a happy meal has to lure people to the park is exactly my point. There are all sorts of other creative ways to lure people to the park. Are give aways a bad thing, no. Are they the only way to reach people? No. So what are the other ways to attract fans to the stadium?

Lets be frank...if people are comming to the ballpark only because of the goodies then that isn't really a solid fan base is it? Do you want to attract them down? Of course and you keep doing the give aways to get that crowd. But in the long run the Reds have to find ways to grow the fan base that comes to the ballpark consistantly regardless of the freebe dejour.

I've sorta forgotten what got all this started anyway. To be the real interesting question is can the Reds continue to but a competitive team on the feild which will be the most effective way to bring people to the ballpark. Secondarly, what other ways can the Reds attract fans besides free stuff? I'm sure the markting people are working around the clock to find new ways but I think it's an important issue because as someone pointed out we have to increase the attendence to increase the payroll.

westofyou
05-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Lopez could've taken the next two days off.. Yeah, who cares about making your customers as happy as possible? Evidently, not Narron.

And as someone pointed out, Dunn and Lopez's replacements were 1 for 11 vs Davis, so that arguement is shakey. I'm sure you're not going to argue that Aurillia gives you a better chance to win than Lopez, are you? :laugh:
I know your position on playing MLB (darn easy) so I won't debate my position on days off.

REDREAD
05-26-2006, 05:00 PM

Well Aurillia & Ross were worse vs Davis than Lopez & Dunn, so that's further proof that Narron wasn't thinking.

My guess is that Narron figured since they won the first few games vs the Brew Crew, that he might as well rest the two big guys, instead of going for the sweep.

REDREAD
05-26-2006, 05:03 PM
I know your position on playing MLB (darn easy) so I won't debate my position on days off.

My point is Lopez plays just about every day anyhow. Why did he have to have this specific day off? Why not the day before or the game after?

And yes, there are a lot more jobs that are a lot more demanding (mentally and physically) than MLB.

So, why did Lopez have to have that specific day off? Narron was dumb, that's why.

REDREAD
05-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Lets be frank...if people are comming to the ballpark only because of the goodies then that isn't really a solid fan base is it? Do you want to attract them down? Of course and you keep doing the give aways to get that crowd. But in the long run the Reds have to find ways to grow the fan base that comes to the ballpark consistantly regardless of the freebe dejour. .

As I said in another post, maybe if there wasn't bobblehead nights, they'd still come to same number of games every year anyhow.

I'm sure there's some locals who decide on a whim to go to the game, since there's a freebie that night, but any fan who travels over an hour to see a game will probably still come even if there's no giveaways.

The hope is that you get the causal fan to the park , he has a great time, and wants to come again. The other hope is maybe you get someone to come to 22 games/year instead of 20 games/year so he can get the extra promotions.

If I really wanted a Lopez bobblehead, I could get one on ebay for $20 or less (I'm guessing).. Whatever the price is, I sure it's a lot less than what poster George Foster spent on gas. So I doubt all the out of town people came primarily to get the bobblehead.

westofyou
05-26-2006, 05:13 PM
My point is Lopez plays just about every day anyhow. Why did he have to have this specific day off? Why not the day before or the game after?2 days in a row I guess is the goal, Brandon Webb is RH so the matchup works better by having Aurilia face the LH on Wednesday.

RedFanAlways1966
05-26-2006, 05:22 PM
My guess is that Narron figured since they won the first few games vs the Brew Crew, that he might as well rest the two big guys, instead of going for the sweep.

Perhaps, but guesses on your part on Narron's thinking. I will, however, take a manager who bases his decisons on baseball rather than dolls.

I understand why some fans might be bothered by Lopez not starting (he DID play... let's not forgot that). If some fans never come back b/c a guy did not play on his bobblehead night, then goodbye. This is baseball... not bobblehead or beanie baby convention time.

It is understandable for people to complain about this. It is not understandable for people to make threats to never return. If that is the case, then they must not be too loyal IMO. A doll?!?!?!? Never see your team b/c of a doll and the player that it represents did not start!?!??! Real fans who will never go back b/c of a doll situation? Good lord.

There are probably some fans who respect Narron for doing what he thought was best for the players and the team (instead of a doll thing). I do not always agree with all of his decisions. But I'd have a real problem if I found out Narron makes decisions based on dolls or other token items.

TeamBoone
05-26-2006, 05:34 PM
$4 tip? I guess this is not the place but ? As a server we make only 2.13 an hour and less than 10%? Its not the servers fault that the prices are rediculous, but that is for another place I guess.

Yup, and that's why most restauranteurs have lots of money... they buy their food at bulk prices, sell it for a fortune, and only have to pay their help peanuts. I've never liked that system and often wonder how it continues to thrive in this country.

I tip well (if the service condones it; any servers expect the tip regardless of whether or not they earn it.) but I resent every dollar after I've already paid top dollar for the meal.

I don't want to hi-jack the thread, but this has always been an issue for me and I rarely get the opportunity to state my opinion.

TeamBoone
05-26-2006, 05:37 PM

You could have fooled me Wednesday night with the lineup he trotted onto the field.

RedFanAlways1966
05-26-2006, 05:46 PM
You could have fooled me Wednesday night with the lineup he trotted onto the field.

I can understand that, TB. Managers and their lineups have been questioned since the game began. It goes w/ the territory (but not at RZ, right? ;) ). But rest assured that Narron had something in mind... and it had nothing to do with bobblehead dolls. And that is the way I prefer for a manager to run a team and make a lineup.

Redhook
05-26-2006, 06:50 PM
I disagree. The bobblehead night is the opportunity to get people hooked on the team, to market the team to an audience that may not normally come.

If the causal fan drives 3 hours to see a game, and gets ripped off by having both Lopez and Dunn sit out, that creates a very negative experience. I'd be upset if I drove all that way and Dunn and Lopez were both benched.

If I was a manager, I'd make every effort to give the stars their days off on away games. I know it's impossible to do that 100%, but that should be the goal.

Well said.

I have a question. I'm not trying to compare teams because that's not the point, but I think it's the principle of this matter that's important.

Would Derek Jeter be sitting on his own bobblehead night?

jnwohio
05-26-2006, 06:53 PM
It always helps to put your best lineup out there. But that isn't always the best long-term decision. I don't necessarily like attending Sunday afternoon games for that very reason.

When I first saw the line up posted I said, "Narron must have just gotten off the phone from talking with Bob Boone because this sure looks like a Bob Boone Sunday afternoon special".

Does anyone believe that line up starts if the Reds had not won the first two games of the series? With the off day to follow I thought he should have pulled out the stops to go for a sweep. Except for the Cubs (hopefully) that was about as easy of a team as we have coming in the next 2 weeks; and, you need to make hay while the making is good.

uks2h
05-27-2006, 02:54 AM
Just for the record, that 2 days of rest did nothing obviously. Another loss.

westofyou
05-27-2006, 11:25 AM
Just for the record, that 2 days of rest did nothing obviously. Another loss.
Of course because everything falls directly in line and out of that tiny event in the season.

Ltlabner
05-27-2006, 12:50 PM
I can't help but think that one of the main reasons why people aren't coming to the game is the price of concessions. Get this: corndog, whaffle fries, large coke.....$12.75. I'm not kidding...$12.75. This is nuts. I could not image a family of four with a household income of $50K coming more than once or twice a year..tops. 4 decent tickets. 36x4= $144 + parking $10 + gas $15 + food $48 = $217.00

This has been bugging me for a few days. Ok, I know I need to get a life.

First, I have seats that for a family with young childrean would be perfect. Close enough for a good view yet far enough away the kids wouldn't be a distraction to other fans if they get bored. Face value is $17/ea. That cuts the ticket price from $144 to $68 and you still have good seats. Small children don't have to be in the front row to enjoy the game.

Second, why does dinner have to be at the ballpark? If you are driving down you could enjoy a pinic dinner on the trip to Cincy. It's (1) much less expensive (2) a chance to have a family dinner (3) much healthier and (4) much easier than trying to manage a family with young children while eating in seats, carrying the food etc. This would save enough money that you could still get the kids a soda and a treat during the game (to make it a really special event) and still come out ahead of eating dinner at the ballpark.

On the gas issue, if you have a 30 gallon tank (which is huge) and the price goes from $2.50/gal to $3.00/gal its a difference of $15 total. In reality the difference will be much lower as most cars have smaller tanks. EVEN if it takes 2 tanks of gas, at 60 gallons for a 160mile (80miles or about 2 hours) round trip means your vehicles gets about 3 MPG. The gas issue, while it is an additional cost, is marginal at most.

My point with this diatribe is that you can have a great family trip to GABP and experience the thrill of baseball with your kids (and hopefully they will love it as much as we do) at a much lower cost than some purport. It just takes a little creativity and forethought to strech those enterinament dollars further and keep the costs affordable.

I know this has little to do with baseball so I applogize. Wheeew...I feel much better now. :explode:

KittyDuran
05-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Second, why does dinner have to be at the ballpark? If you are driving down you could enjoy a pinic dinner on the trip to Cincy. It's (1) much less expensive (2) a chance to have a family dinner (3) much healthier and (4) much easier than trying to manage a family with young children while eating in seats, carrying the food etc. This would save enough money that you could still get the kids a soda and a treat during the game (to make it a really special event) and still come out ahead of eating dinner at the ballpark.
Good point... but how a parent presents the outing is important - If the kids expect the game to be more than a game with food, treats, drinks, and maybe a trinket, then you're out a boatload of money. If the outing is present as the last stop on a fun day with dinner before hand, the price will be lower. Either way, if you have kids and want to eat at the park it's serious bucks down the drain.

BTW, one of my co-workers is taking his 3 year old son to his first ballgame tomorrow. He asked me a lot of questions about parking and things to do. I told him that he can bring in snacks for his son, as long as security can see what it is, and bottled drinks (plastic and unopened). Also, told him that there are things for him to do around the ballpark in case he gets bored. Asked him if he was used to fireworks (he had seen them on TV) and warned him that he might be upset because of the noise. The biggest problem for him and his son will be the sun and the heat. They will be on the 3rd base side.

I will be there for Sunday's game as well, hopefully parking for free on the street, in the cheap seats out of the sun, with a Subway sub, bottled water and choco-chip cookies. Total cost with ticket: a little over $10. Tonight I might breakdown and get a hot dog...:)

KittyDuran
05-27-2006, 01:35 PM
OT, but still has to do with kids at ballgames... last night one of the Dbacks hit a line drive foul into the stands on the 3rd base side. It hit an infant - all I saw was the mother running up the aisle with security with the baby wrapped in a blanket. Why do people bring little babies to games and sit in those seats...:angry: It's dangerous enough with adults!

Sorry, one of my pet peeves...:(

DannyB
05-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Yes,all the economy plans are great but lets face it. If you cant go too often you are more likely to spend more on tickets and everything that goes with a baseball game.For his money,Uk2hs got to see his favorite player..in the dugout.

RedFanAlways1966
05-27-2006, 02:13 PM
For his money,Uk2hs got to see his favorite player..in the dugout.

And on the field... long enough to get two ABs.

Ltlabner
05-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Yes,all the economy plans are great but lets face it. If you cant go too often you are more likely to spend more on tickets and everything that goes with a baseball game.For his money,Uk2hs got to see his favorite player..in the dugout.

That is true DannyB but my point is that you don't HAVE to spend that much money to enjoy the ballgame, people CHOOSE to spend that much money. People can choose to spend how ever much money they want on a game however, I don't like it when people choose to spend a lot of money and then turn around and complain about how expensive things are.

KittyDuran
05-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Yes,all the economy plans are great but lets face it. If you cant go too often you are more likely to spend more on tickets and everything that goes with a baseball game.For his money,Uk2hs got to see his favorite player..in the dugout.Because it's now an event instead of a common occurance. I'll be going next month to Cleveland for the series vs the Indians. I'll have to pay for parking, hotel and food. I'm not too sure about bringing stuff into the Jake. So it will be much more money than I usually spend. I also plan to go to the tourist attractions as well...more $$$. :(

Edskin
05-27-2006, 03:50 PM
When I was a kid, I was happy to go to a game with my Dad, period. I was fortunate that my Dad could afford to buy me a hot dog and a coke, which was nice, but honestly, I would have been just as happy w/o those things-- as long as I was at the game.

It's as if so many people in this thread believes they are "owed" something for purchasing tickets to a MLB game. IMO, all you should expect is to see a game between the two teams scheduled. Who plays, what you eat, etc... are all just variables that you run of the risk of differentiating from game to game.

KittyDuran
05-27-2006, 04:46 PM
When I was a kid, I was happy to go to a game with my Dad, period. I was fortunate that my Dad could afford to buy me a hot dog and a coke, which was nice, but honestly, I would have been just as happy w/o those things-- as long as I was at the game.

It's as if so many people in this thread believes they are "owed" something for purchasing tickets to a MLB game. IMO, all you should expect is to see a game between the two teams scheduled. Who plays, what you eat, etc... are all just variables that you run of the risk of differentiating from game to game.My Dad could afford to buy me more than a coke (which I had to share) because he didn't want to. :p:

savafan
05-27-2006, 10:45 PM
I work at Kroger and deal with promotions

Be glad I'm a nice guy and don't neg you for this. :p:

uks2h
05-29-2006, 01:34 PM
My favorite player is Ken Griffey Jr.

Just had to put that, for the record.

Although after June 15th, Bronson might be up there close. :cool: