PDA

View Full Version : Barrett gets 10 game suspension; Sox CF Anderson, 5.

Red Leader
05-26-2006, 10:52 AM
NEW YORK (Ticker) - Major League Baseball on Friday handed Chicago Cubs catcher Michael Barrett a 10-game suspension and fined him an undisclosed amount for punching Chicago White Sox counterpart A.J. Pierzynski last Saturday, leading to a bench-clearing incident.

In the second inning of the White Sox's 7-0 victory at U.S. Cellular field, Pierzynski bowled over Barrett in beating a throw to the plate from left fielder Matt Murton. Making sure he was ruled safe on the play, Pierzynski emphatically slapped his hand on the plate. He then bumped into Barrett, who grabbed him and punched him in the jaw.

Barrett then was tackled by Scott Podsednik as both benches spilled onto the field. Amid the flurry, White Sox outfielder Brian Anderson threw a punch at Cubs first baseman John Mabry, who was taken to get X-rays of his ribs after the game.

Anderson was handed a five-game suspension and fined an undisclosed amount for his role in the brawl, while White Sox third base coach Joey Cora was given a two-game suspension and fined an undisclosed amount for his aggressive actions.

Pierzynski was fined an undisclosed amount for his conduct during the incident.

All three suspensions are slated to begin Friday, when the Cubs host Atlanta and the White Sox visit Toronto. Anderson and Barrett may appeal their suspensions.

RedsBaron
05-26-2006, 11:28 AM
I think a 20 to 25 game suspension of Barrett would have been in order.

kbrake
05-26-2006, 12:12 PM
That seems extremely light.

Joseph
05-26-2006, 12:15 PM
I like a good brawl, I wish this MLB fraternity of players thing would stop and it would be more team oriented so we had some more real brawls.

Ok, I'm mostly kidding. The suspension was a tad light.

WMR
05-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Wow a punch like that to the face only gets 10 games?!

oneupper
05-26-2006, 01:24 PM
Will Barrett miss the REDS series?

cumberlandreds
05-26-2006, 01:25 PM

He will if he doesn't appeal. But most players appeal so he will most likely be available.

CTA513
05-26-2006, 01:29 PM

I hope he does because the other catcher Blanco is batting .051 right now.

37red
05-26-2006, 01:34 PM
I think he should be benched for every game with the Reds

registerthis
05-26-2006, 01:35 PM
It was probably a 25 game suspension until the league office realized he had punched A.J. Pierzynski, at which point they reduced the suspension to 10 games.

Red Leader
05-26-2006, 01:51 PM
He will if he doesn't appeal. But most players appeal so he will most likely be available.

Michael Barrett appealed the 10-game suspension handed down by MLB and is in the starting lineup for Friday's game against the Braves.

kbrake
05-26-2006, 02:01 PM
It was probably a 25 game suspension until the league office realized he had punched A.J. Pierzynski, at which point they reduced the suspension to 10 games.

Yeah I was thinking earlier if this were the other way around and it had been Pierzynski throwing the punch it would have been at least 25 games.

KronoRed
05-26-2006, 04:16 PM
They should change that, you should sit while you appeal

and SP suspensions should be multiplied by 5

cincinnati chili
05-26-2006, 04:20 PM
They should change that, you should sit while you appeal

and SP suspensions should be multiplied by 5

The problem is that the appeals usually don't occur within 10 games or whatever. So they kinda have to keep it this way.

Multiplying by 5 might be a little harsh, but I"m okay with multiplying by 2. You have to remember that teams have to play a man short of the 25-man roster for every guy who's suspended.

oneupper
05-26-2006, 06:25 PM
In jail when you appeal, you get ANOTHER week in the hole.

remdog
05-26-2006, 11:37 PM

Yeah, I didn't have any problem with Mr. Barrett having a personal business meeting with Mr. Pi..antski. A.J. is known around the league for his wonderful 'clubhouse presence'. I'm sure MB was just expressing his opinion for A.J.'s edification. :p:

Rem

KronoRed
05-26-2006, 11:53 PM
Multiplying by 5 might be a little harsh, but I"m okay with multiplying by 2. You have to remember that teams have to play a man short of the 25-man roster for every guy who's suspended.
It should be something more, 5 games is 1 start, 0 if the have an off day.

Blimpie
05-27-2006, 11:14 AM
In jail when you appeal, you get ANOTHER week in the hole.Cool Hand Luke?

M2
05-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Yeah I was thinking earlier if this were the other way around and it had been Pierzynski throwing the punch it would have been at least 25 games.

Ain't that the truth. Pierzynski somehow managed to get kicked out of that game and fined for scoring a run and then getting punched.

captainmorgan07
05-27-2006, 02:12 PM
mabry should get suspended a game for getting worked over by anderson he got dogged:lol:

George Foster
05-29-2006, 11:14 PM
How come you get a 5 game suspension when you bean a guy with a 90mph fastball, or charge the mound? I guess if you actually connect on a punch, you get more? Does that seem fair? A pitcher just misses one start, Barrett will miss 10. Those suspensions are so random..not really fair.

TeamBoone
05-30-2006, 01:43 PM
And when do the suspensions start? Any old time the player feels like it?

IMHO, they should begin immediately with no chance for the player/manager to plan it out depending on what teams they face in the near future.

Just do it, with no bias on opposition!

vaticanplum
05-30-2006, 01:51 PM
And when do the suspensions start? Any old time the player feels like it?

IMHO, they should begin immediately with no chance for the player/manager to plan it out depending on what teams they face in the near future.

Just do it, with no bias on opposition!

I agree. Someone told me that they appeal and then if they can swing it start serving when they get a minor injury. seems kind of pointless.

KronoRed
05-30-2006, 02:33 PM
If you appeal they should not allow the appeal to be dropped.