PDA

View Full Version : Chicago paper mentions Scott Williamson may be perfect fit for the Reds

redsfan4445
05-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Per chicago paper (registration required).. was listed under rumors of the Cincinnati reds on prosportsdaily.com

""Reliever Scott Williamson. The Cincinnati Reds believe they’re in the playoff hunt, and they’ve had closer problems recently with David Weathers. "
"

Redhook
05-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Per chicago paper (registration required).. was listed under rumors of the Cincinnati reds on prosportsdaily.com

""Reliever Scott Williamson. The Cincinnati Reds believe they’re in the playoff hunt, and they’ve had closer problems recently with David Weathers. "
"

I'd welcome Scotty back with open arms. His 3.10 era is half of many of our relievers. I don't know if he'd be our closer over Coffey though. But he'd be great for the 7th or 8th inning. His salary is only $2 mil also. If we can get him without losing too much, then I say do it.

dsmith421
05-26-2006, 12:12 PM
I'll be honest--I love Willie, we did wrong by him the first time, and he's one of the few guys that have been here before that I'd welcome back unequivocally. What would the Cubs want back?

terminator
05-26-2006, 12:24 PM
""The Cincinnati Reds believe they’re in the playoff hunt, and they’ve had closer problems recently with David Weathers. "
"
We're tied for the wild card spot and playing .576 ball -- and there's still plenty of room for them to play better. There's no "believe" about it, Cincinnati is *in* the playoff hunt.

I would like to see Williamson here in the bullpen if he doesn't cost us too much. Maybe Krivsky can give them the pitcher we just got for Williams? :)

deltachi8
05-26-2006, 12:41 PM
I'd pass. At this point I think it takes small miracles to get his arm through a season...any season.

TeamBoone
05-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Here's the entire article... it focuses on what the Cubs have that other teams might be interested in.

Friday, May 26, 2006

These Cubs would have value on the market
By Bruce Miles / Daily Herald Sports Writer

May is a traditional month for moving, so maybe it’s time Cubs general manager Jim Hendry diesels up the van and finds new locations for some of his players.

Too early, you say? Consider that the Cubs are 18-28, their best player won’t come off the disabled list for a few weeks, their pitching staff is still trying to heal, and the toughest part of the schedule is coming up.

With that in mind, the Cubs have several players who might be attractive to legitimate contenders.

By trading them, Hendry would save a few bucks this year and restock a farm system that could use some restocking.

Let’s take a look at the realistic possibilities. By realistic, we’ll rule out trading such players as pitcher Kerry Wood, who has a no-trade clause in his contract, and pitcher Greg Maddux, who doesn’t have no-trade protection but who, by some accounts, has a verbal agreement with the Cubs that he won’t be moved.

Here goes, keeping in mind Hendry has had decidedly mixed results in the trade market in recent years:

Reliever Scott Williamson. The Cincinnati Reds believe they’re in the playoff hunt, and they’ve had closer problems recently with David Weathers. Williamson pitched for the Reds, and he’d love to close again.

The Cubs’ setup men, by and large, have done a good job, but they’re about as useful right now as a hood ornament on a jalopy, so moving Williamson won’t be a problem.

The ship has sailed on the Cubs getting Adam Dunn or Austin Kearns, but Williamson would bring something.

Infielder Todd Walker. Interesting, isn’t it? Hendry spent all winter trying to trade Walker, only to find no takers. The Cubs didn’t much like Walker’s defense, but Walker hasn’t hurt the Cubs one iota with his glove, rendering their fears silly and baseless.

Walker is a good left-handed hitter who gets on base. He can play in either league.

Center fielder Juan Pierre. Pierre’s representatives may have overplayed their hand this spring when they decided not to talk with the Cubs about a long-term extension.

Perhaps they felt Pierre would enjoy a comeback year and cash in this fall.

It hasn’t worked out that way. Pierre has been a major disappointment, with an on-base percentage of .269. Still, he might be attractive to some team now or down the stretch.

The problem for the Cubs is that they gave up three young pitchers to the Florida Marlins to get Pierre. One of those pitchers, Ricky Nolasco, beat the Cubs this week and even hit a home run, giving him more homers and as many RBI as Pierre. Ouch.

Pitcher Glendon Rusch. Hendry looks to have grossly overpaid last fall to extend Rusch for two years. He might have to pay some of Rusch’s freight, but lefties always are in demand.

Left fielder Matt Murton. Now here’s an eye-opener. Murton is a nice pure hitter, but he isn’t providing much power from a power spot in left field. True, Murton is an on-base percentage guy, but the Cubs don’t seem to know this stat exists.

And if the Cubs have Felix Pie playing center field sometime this year or on Opening Day 2007, they’ll need some homers from their left fielder.

The Cubs could get something for Murton, but with their luck, he’d pan out big time for somebody else.

Infielder Jerry Hairston. The Cubs haven’t liked Hairston much since they got him in the Sammy Sosa trade in February 2005. They won’t get much for him, but he will be off their hands.

Pitcher Rich Hill. To think what the Cubs could have received for this left-handed pitcher a year ago.

The Cubs appear to have soured on Hill, who’s back at Class AAA Iowa. He’d fetch something.

Next: Cincinnati Reds at Wrigley Field, Monday-Wednesday
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060526/SPT04/605260403/1071

Ltlabner
05-26-2006, 12:49 PM
We're tied for the wild card spot and playing .576 ball -- and there's still plenty of room for them to play better. There's no "believe" about it, Cincinnati is *in* the playoff hunt.

I would like to see Williamson here in the bullpen if he doesn't cost us too much. Maybe Krivsky can give them the pitcher we just got for Williams?

Welcome aboard Terminator. Glad to see you found your way here.

toledodan
05-26-2006, 01:08 PM
does anyone else enjoy the demise of the cubs as much as i do?:D

KoryMac5
05-26-2006, 01:12 PM
I am also hearing that Maddux, Wood, Aramis Rameriz, are available to the higest bidder. Prior's velocity hasn't even been close to what it once was and he won't be back until sometime next year. The Cubbies are in some definite trouble per Jay Mariotti

klw
05-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Apparently the deal to send Rusch to the Reds fell through when Rusch revealed that he has Arroyo related PTSD and could not be medically cleared to share a clubhouse with this feared slugger. :laugh: :laugh:

kbrake
05-26-2006, 01:15 PM

Absolutely. And their is no such thing as a "playoff hunt" 4 months before the end of a season.

CTA513
05-26-2006, 01:20 PM
If they want to trade him for almost nothing then I would say do it. But I think the Cubs are just trying to let everyone know Williamson is available and hope that teams start a bidding war.

Highlifeman21
05-26-2006, 01:47 PM
I am also hearing that Maddux, Wood, Aramis Rameriz, are available to the higest bidder. Prior's velocity hasn't even been close to what it once was and he won't be back until sometime next year. The Cubbies are in some definite trouble per Jay Mariotti

If it came from Mariotti, I take it with a whole container of salt, not just a grain.

Without D. Lee in that lineup, they aren't winning and will continue to not win.

I don't see them moving Maddux or Ramirez, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Wood going to the Rangers.

Doc. Scott
05-26-2006, 01:52 PM

And now, with Tony Womack's contract just purchased, they become even more fun to watch flail. I hope Dusty Baker gets a lifetime plus 50-year contract extension.

sdwagers
05-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Williamson's wife is from Cincy. I work with her cousin.

Willie was rushed to the rotation. He 's a bulldog. lf we get him, let's not over pay.

Do the Cubs have interest in Rick White ? j/k !

TeamBoone
05-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Reliever Scott Williamson. The Cincinnati Reds believe they’re in the playoff hunt, and they’ve had closer problems recently with David Weathers. Williamson pitched for the Reds, and he’d love to close again.

I see no need to spend the money on Williamson when we have Coffey. Besides, as much as I love Willie, he's a very inconsistent pitcher with a bit of a control problem.

TeamBoone
05-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Absolutely. And their is no such thing as a "playoff hunt" 4 months before the end of a season.

You notice he said the Reds "believe" they're in a playoff hunt...

Williamson's wife is from Cincy. I work with her cousin.

IIRC, the Williamson family actually lives here.

Strikes Out Looking
05-26-2006, 02:43 PM
I hate the Cubs and only wish the Cardinals could catch whatever virus they have.

CTA513
05-26-2006, 02:43 PM
The ship has sailed on the Cubs getting Adam Dunn or Austin Kearns, but Williamson would bring something.

Offer Carlos Zambrano and Im sure the Reds would consider trading one of them.

:devil:

GOREDSGO32
05-26-2006, 02:58 PM
We'll give them Milton plus Wilson for Williamson, full salary trade included. How bout it?

Jr's Boy
05-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Offer Carlos Zambrano and Im sure the Reds would consider trading one of them.

:devil:

That hot head,i'll pass.great numbers but he falls apart when he gets mad.

HalMorrisRules
05-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Kirchjian (spelling?) was on Mike & Mike yesterday morning talking about Prior. He said that a lot of people fell that Prior is a mental case when it comes to his throwing arm. Any little twinge sends him to the DL. He said that he might not be "tough" enough to ever make it through a full season. I thought that was a very brutal, honest assessment to make on a national radio show.

CTA513
05-26-2006, 04:06 PM
That hot head,i'll pass.great numbers but he falls apart when he gets mad.

His career ERA is 3.28 which is about a full run lower than every Reds starter.
Hes an innings eater and gives up less hits than innings pitch.
Hot head? yes. Good pitcher? yes. Would he improve the Reds rotation? yes.
Ill take a hot head that pitches good over a nice guy that stinks.

KronoRed
05-26-2006, 04:20 PM
If he could be gotten on the cheap then go for it.

TeamBoone
05-26-2006, 04:30 PM
His career ERA is 3.28 which is about a full run lower than every Reds starter.
Hes an innings eater and gives up less hits than innings pitch.
Hot head? yes. Good pitcher? yes. Would he improve the Reds rotation? yes.
Ill take a hot head that pitches good over a nice guy that stinks.

And then everyone would be calling him a clubhouse cancer... also not well liked around here.

Ya can't have your cake and eat it too. Personally, I don't like him either... can't stand his personality on the mound (is it the same off?) and the drooling.. ugh, makes me want to swallow all the time when I'm watching him!

I know, I know... he can pitch so who cares? I guess I do. I like nice guys, composed guys who can pitch.

CTA513
05-26-2006, 04:37 PM
And then everyone would be calling him a clubhouse cancer... also not well liked around here.

Ya can't have your cake and eat it too. Personally, I don't like him either... can't stand his personality on the mound (is it the same off?) and the drooling.. ugh, makes me want to swallow all the time when I'm watching him!

I know, I know... he can pitch so who cares? I guess I do. I like nice guys, composed guys who can pitch.

Hes never been called a clubhouse cancer before... well atleast that I know of.

KYRedsFan
05-26-2006, 04:42 PM
Kirchjian (spelling?) was on Mike & Mike yesterday morning talking about Prior. He said that a lot of people fell that Prior is a mental case when it comes to his throwing arm. Any little twinge sends him to the DL. He said that he might not be "tough" enough to ever make it through a full season. I thought that was a very brutal, honest assessment to make on a national radio show.

The day prior, Jayson Stark hinted that Prior's not feeling that great every time he pitches, and that even the whole year looks bad for him. They have Zambrano and that's it. Lee gets his cast off this week, but that will be a tough tough injury to come back from this year.

Raisor
05-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Cody Ross for Willie!

oh...darnit.

paintmered
05-26-2006, 05:47 PM
I'd pass. At this point I think it takes small miracles to get his arm through a season...any season.

Word. That's the only reason I don't want him back. I was sorry to see him go, but he's a medical miracle.

GAC
05-26-2006, 08:10 PM
I'll be honest--I love Willie, we did wrong by him the first time, and he's one of the few guys that have been here before that I'd welcome back unequivocally. What would the Cubs want back?

How did we wrong him? He went to Boston and did what? Everyone was predicting he was an arm injury waiting to happen. And it did. And they were right.

I'd pass.

Raisor
05-26-2006, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=GAC]How did we wrong him? QUOTE]

Well the Reds kept switching him in and out of the rotation and the bullpen. That might not have helped anything.

GAC
05-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Well the Reds kept switching him in and out of the rotation and the bullpen. That might not have helped anything.

Which I didn't agree with. But everyone believed that due to his erratic motion, he was still heading for disaster regardless of how he was used.

And I was not a fan of him as a closer.

RANDY IN INDY
05-27-2006, 09:27 AM
Which I didn't agree with. But everyone believed that due to his erratic motion, he was still heading for disaster regardless of how he was used.

And I was not a fan of him as a closer.

Me neither. And as far as the disaster in waiting, you can forget how he was used. His mechanics were the culprit.

Krusty
05-27-2006, 10:12 AM
I was thinking maybe Ryan Wagner for Williamson.

Wagner needs a change of scenery and is young enough to bounce back and make a decent major league reliever. Williamson can take some of the load off of Weather and Coffey by pitching in the eighth and ninth innings.

TeamBoone
05-27-2006, 10:26 AM
I don't know, Krusty. Even though Wagner is struggling, I truly believe he still has a lot of upside... he just needs to get himself straightened out. Spending the time NOW in AAA may be answer since he never spent the time in AAA that he needed to when he was acquired. He was brought up way too soon.

I think Williamson's upside is long gone. He's just too erratic to ever be counted on.

Krusty
05-27-2006, 10:43 AM
That is why I think he might need a change of scenery.

Difficult decision for the Reds. How much of the farm system do you give up to get a chance of making the playoffs this year....especially when you're trying to rebuild the farm system where the Reds can produce players to maintain longterm success?

alexad
05-27-2006, 10:51 AM
I was thinking maybe Ryan Wagner for Williamson.

Wagner needs a change of scenery and is young enough to bounce back and make a decent major league reliever. Williamson can take some of the load off of Weather and Coffey by pitching in the eighth and ninth innings.

I think that would be a mistake. Wagner was rushed toooooooo soooooon!
I know he has struggled, but he has to be better than White at this point and why not bring him back and give him another shot.